The Christmas Defender, Christmas Assassin part 3
Svea Rike
post 6 Feb 2013, 15:42
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 9540

RESISTANCE BASE IN FINLAND, CHRISTMAS DAY, 2047

Armo burst into the commander's office. He had a mixture of worrisome, anger and excitement on his face. The commander looked baffled.
"Why are you here? Aren't you supposed to be out on scouting duty now?" The commander asked.
"We were followed." Armo replied.
"What? Here? You know we have sentries positioned around every road leading here."
"Yes. But sentries don't have eyesight that can detect tracking devices this small." Armo said while he held up a small device, a red light flashing every two seconds. "This, commander, has been tracking our escape car's route to this base."
"So? Dispatch of it!" The commander said while he waved his hand. "Have Rainer drive it to someplace else and the Russians believe that is our base."
"I'm afraid it is not that easy. If my knowledge of Russian tracking techniques is in working condition I would believe they have located us with satellite by now." Armo said while he crushed the small device under his feet.
"Very well. We must abandon this base." The commander said standing up from his chair and walking towards the exit.
"No, commander, we must fight them. This might be our best chance to kill Volkov." Armo said grasping his arm.
"Are you mad? The Russians have overwhelming numbers and Volkov will be in the comfort of a bunker somewhere." The commander replied.
"No, commander, Volkov is not a general. He is a commander, like you. A field commander to be more precise and what exactly do field commanders do? Lead battles. And I don't think Volkov would miss out one glorious battle where he crushes another resistance base."

Armo looked down at the commander addressing his soldiers. He was up with his friend and rescuer Fredrik in the only watchtower. They peered at the horizon with binoculars, but not even a bird was sighted. Just white treetops in the deep forest. The watchtower was cleverly disguised as a tree, so no enemy helicopters would get any suspicion.
"How many do you think they'll bring?" Fredrik asked Armo.
"Oh, 'bout a hundred men or so, plus a Sentinel. It'd still be more than enough to take out this tiny base." Armo replied. He gazed with his binoculars at the horizon again. Every living soul in Finland knew that if a resistance base was discovered by the Russians, they'd bring it down almost instantly. Armo looked at his healing wound. He was very surprised yesterday, when not a single bullet from that Hokum was able to hit him. But then he realized, that was all part of the Russian plan. They'd let him live, they'd let him be captured and they'd let him be rescued so easily so he would lead them to this base.
"How do you propose we stop them?" Fredrik asked as he lit a cigarette.
"I'm still working on it." Armo said.
"Yeah, but even if we manage to stop the Russian attack, it would still be in vain unless we get Volkov." Fredrik said as he puffed some smoke. The smoke got Armo a bit dizzy, he was not a friend of smoking, and he walked out of it. Armo carelessly put his hand down on a piece of splinter.
"Ouch! Damn splinters sting like hell." Armo said as he tried to pluck it out of his hand. Then he got an idea. He had seen Star Wars Episode VI, and he always found it funny how the Rebels were able to defeat the Empire with the help of nature. Maybe they could do that? Armo scrambled down the watchtower, Fredrik looking behind his shoulder with a pondering face on.

Armo headed to the backside of the base. Their lay a large chunk of junk from all kinds of salvaged vehicles. The GLA does it, why can't Finns do it to? If he had remembered correctly, there were also cannon from a Sentinel laying there. They had salvaged it from a wrecked Sentinel about a month ago. They'd found it in a swamp, the Russians probably hasn't got them at home, so they probably drove the thing right over the "shallow lake". Fredrik arrived.
"What in Simo Häyhä's name are you doing?" He asked.
"Doing some measurement." Armo calmly replied while he pulled out a meter-long ruler. He measured the diameter of the barrel. Then he headed over to a piece of big log, lying in a pile just across the road. He measured the diameter of that one as well. "Just one centimeters difference." Armo said with a happy face on.
"Are you planning on smashing heads together like in Return of the Jedi? I think Sentinel steel is a tougher nut to crack."
"Not smash head. Explode head, from the inside."

A tad later, Armo, Fredrik and a couple of more resistance members were up in the treetops. They had built a small bridge across two sturdy pieces of pine tree, and they were hoisting up the log Armo had measured earlier.
"That's it, that's it, easy, it's heavy." Armo said while he directed the workers. When the log came up, the four men started working on a contraption so that if one wire was cut, the whole log would come swinging down on whatever unfortunate thing stood in its way.
"Armo, this may be a large log, but even it won't stop a super-heavy. You know what happened at Oulu, when we threw Molotov cocktails at a Golem. Good idea turned bad!" Fredrik said as he tied some knots.
"It is not about knocking it out with this log, but making it destroys itself with this log." Armo said.
"I don't think I'm getting you."
"Don't you see? This log is about the size of a Sentinel barrel, and if we manage to chuck it tight in there, one shot from it'll blow the whole damn turret up!"
"Ah, I understand now, so when the Sentinel arrives we cut the wire, the log will come swinging down and into the barrel it goes."
"If, we are lucky enough that it hits dead on."
With that sentence a shiver went down the spine of Fredrik. As it did he wondered if this war was ever going to end.

Armo headed for the commander. He was in front of a pair of workers trying to assemble some sort of anti-air gun.
"No need for that, commander. They'll be coming by ground." Armo said.
"And how would you know?" The commander asked.
"Our scouts have returned."
"Really? Status report."
"About one hundred and fifty men as well as one Sentinel tank. I need your men to hold off the infantry, let me handle the tank."
"What possible chance could you have against a Sentinel tank? Very well. I shall inform my soldiers this instant." With that the two men parted and Armo headed up towards the treetops. Fredrik was already up there, rifle grasped by his hands and eyes peering in every direction.
"Did you hear that?" Fredrik said as he nervously looked around him.
"That was me you nitwit." Armo said back.
"I really hope your plan is going to work Armo, because if it doesn't, we have to take out a super-heavy using conventional weapons. That won't be easy."
"Don't worry, Fredrik, I am sure it will work. As long as the Sentinel points it cannon forward and my calculations are correct."

The soldiers of the resistance base waited a painful two hours before they could hear the rumble of machinery in the distance. The Sentinel was coming, backed up by a platoon of the best trained Conscripts in Karelia. Amongst them were commander Volkov, well, unless he was cowering inside the Sentinel. Armo lay down on the walkway high up in the trees. In front of him was the long snow-covered dirt road leading to the base. The sound of the roaring diesel engines grew louder. It didn't take long until Armo could see the first row of Russians approaching. He aimed his rifle, centering on the head of the Conscript that looked like he was leading the company. Armo pulled the trigger, and the M-200 rifle fired its bullet. It hit the Conscript right on his forehead, penetrating the skull and shooting out the back with blood flying all over the place. That was the signal for the hidden Finnish soldiers to pop out and open fire from the roadside. The enemy Conscripts were taken by surprise and every one of them got shot. Then the hidden soldiers lay down again, turning into ghosts in the frozen forest.
"Nice one." Fredrik said as he patted Armo's back.
"Piece of pie." Armo replied as he reloaded his rifle. Another row of Conscripts appeared, this time they were running towards them, rifles firing in the air. "Oh you've got to be kidding me, really? Not even Conscripts are that stupid." He and the others opened fired again, hitting more Conscripts one by one. Russians and Finns were getting shot here and there. But the battle was as easy as cutting open the Saturday morning mail. That is, until the Sentinel arrived. It fired upon the resistance soldiers, co-ax smoking in the cold air. It aimed its main gun, and fired upon the wooden door leading to the base. The doors completely disappeared in the explosion, wooden shrapnel flying everywhere.
"Come on, just a little bit closer!" Armo said eagerly. The Sentinel was moving slowly, picking of Finns wherever it saw one. Armo waited with his combat knife besides the wire, and encouraged the Sentinel to move closer to the line. "Just a little bit more!" The Sentinel moved faster now. In the base, resistance soldiers fired upon the Conscripts surrounding the Sentinel. They had been ordered by Armo to not waste any grenades or RPG's on the Sentinel. Finally, the Sentinel reached the line, and Armo cut the wire. The log swung down towards the Sentinel. It squeezed perfectly into the barrel. The Russians didn't have time to think until they opened fire again. The log made the entire turret of the tank explode into a fireball. Conscripts surrounding it was either confused, dead or in retreat. Armo hopped down from the walkway, holding his rifle. He shot the fleeing Russians without a scope, one by one, until there were none left. Then he approached the stalled behemoth. He jumped up and looked inside the tank. As true as it were, there lay the injured commander Volkov, grasping for air. Armo walked beside him and put his rifles barrel onto Volkov's forehead.
"Merry Christmas, comrade" Armo said as he shot him.

THE END

I hope some of you liked this fan-fic three-part story. As some of you may have known, this was to tribute Finland's independence from the Russians almost a hundred years ago, and Simo Häyhä, for obvious reasons. Thanks for reading and good day!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
H3adSh00t
post 6 Feb 2013, 20:11
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 9224

Nice story , make more I like to read :]

--------------------

+Quote Post
Joe Kidd
post 7 Feb 2013, 1:29
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 9606

Really? Calling on Star Wars for tactics?

And if the russians were really intent on destroying the base theyd probably just use frogfoots or backfires.

P.S. Why is volkov so important, the russians will just send another commander.

(sorry bout the critiscm, i like russians)

--------------------

"You can't kill the Messiah..."

+Quote Post
Karpet
post 7 Feb 2013, 1:55
Post #4

Comrade Bear
Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 9722
Projects: Deep Impact

Well. That's usual. The Russians will probably just get angrier, really..

GOLEM ATTAAAAAAACK

--------------------
Your feeling of helplessness is your best friend, savage.

+Quote Post
Svea Rike
post 7 Feb 2013, 18:00
Post #5

Group Icon

QUOTE (Joe Kidd @ 7 Feb 2013, 1:29) *
Really? Calling on Star Wars for tactics?

And if the russians were really intent on destroying the base theyd probably just use frogfoots or backfires.

P.S. Why is volkov so important, the russians will just send another commander.

(sorry bout the critiscm, i like russians)

Well it seemed cool at first.

Let's say that all Russian air units are busy fighting the war, and none were available to destroy the base.

Volkov was the man who orchestrated the whole occupation of Finland (according to my fan-fiction) and technically murdered Armo's brother. So there is some personal satisfaction of having him dead for both Armo and the Finnish resistance.

Don't worry about it, I love critiscm. It makes me aware of what I did wrong so I can fix it later on.

This post has been edited by swedishplayer-97: 7 Feb 2013, 18:01

--------------------

+Quote Post
Casojin
post 8 Feb 2013, 2:43
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 222

I kinda expect to see more Spetsnaz and the Russian attack seems to be repelled so easily.

--------------------
CASOJIN

+Quote Post
Svea Rike
post 8 Feb 2013, 11:58
Post #7

Group Icon

QUOTE (Casojin @ 8 Feb 2013, 2:43) *
I kinda expect to see more Spetsnaz and the Russian attack seems to be repelled so easily.

The Russians believe a Sentinel is the only thing needed to destroy a small base. Of course, they didn't count on a huge log jamming their gun. Also, the continuing of this story is in your head. You decide yourself what happens next.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28 March 2024 - 12:25