Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Super Weapon Cooldown
Matt
post 7 Apr 2017, 10:41
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: New Members
Member No.: 14946

I'm new here and firstly I wanted to say a big thank you to the developers of this amazing mod, me and my colleagues play it in work at lunch and we're loving it! Please keep up the amazing work so I can enjoy more of your future releases.

My question is, is there any way to increase the cooldown of super weapons? We don't want to completely disable them as they have the potential to tip the tides of war but i feel like even with 'Limit Super weapons' enabled, players can fire them off too often and it would be nice to limit the use of super weapons to once every 20 minutes or so, is this at all possible?

Thanks! biggrin.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 12)
Maelstrom
post 7 Apr 2017, 11:32
Post #2

The owner of the 1st legit (and signed) CD of ShockWave
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 9941

It is possible, although not wanted in terms of game design.

Since 1.86, SW cooldowns have been increased (Nuke missile now takes 8 or 9 minutes to load). They have been tested to fit in the gameplay in 1.87, since before there was kind of an agreement that nobody shall use a superweapon. We even had a time with 2500 cost, and standard loading time... Hell on Earth biggrin.gif.
Most games tend to finish very quickly. With that in mind, a 20 minutes cooldown on SWs would mean that -again- superweapons would be ignored.

Since you play with your firends, you can, for instance, agree that no one fires a SW under 20 minutes smile.gif

--------------------

My Soundcloud profile: right here

+Quote Post
XoGamer
post 7 Apr 2017, 11:44
Post #3

Tactically Toxic
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 12634

How long a game do you have that needs SW launches every 20min,

I suggest you guys should watch some pro plays at Hecthor Doomhammer's channel and learn a bit from how to rush, the right unit compositions etc., since, no offense but games lasting that long tend to be for newbies or really good pros tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Matt
post 7 Apr 2017, 11:56
Post #4

Group Icon

Thanks for your replies, we've all agreed not to use super weapons, while they look 'cool' to watch, there's nothing fun about watching most of your base get vaporised laugh.gif

We enjoy watching troops/tanks slug it out, makes for a much more enjoyable game, and I wouldn't call us pros just yet, we only installed C&C 3 days ago!
As we play offline LAN we are limited to the RTS game available to us as most modern ones require an internet connection + steam, and as it's within a corporate network with proxy servers, things like that would never get out.

We were playing Warhammer 40k LAN for about two months, now ROTR's has taken over and we're loving it! Our games usually last the length of lunch which is an hour.

Very much looking forward to ROTR v2.0!

+Quote Post
Maelstrom
post 7 Apr 2017, 13:01
Post #5

The owner of the 1st legit (and signed) CD of ShockWave
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 9941

Quite sad to ban SWs. Especially for ECA if they go Pandora protocol.

And if you look on Youtube, you will find replays of all levels, from beginners to pro players. I will shamelessly advertise myself, but if you check my Youtube channel, I have several replays that may show you some interesting tactics: Right here

If you watch matches I was involved in, it will show you how NOT to play biggrin.gif

--------------------

My Soundcloud profile: right here

+Quote Post
Matt
post 7 Apr 2017, 14:05
Post #6

Group Icon

QUOTE (Maelstrom @ 7 Apr 2017, 13:01) *

And if you look on Youtube, you will find replays of all levels, from beginners to pro players. I will shamelessly advertise myself, but if you check my Youtube channel, I have several replays that may show you some interesting tactics: Right here

If you watch matches I was involved in, it will show you how NOT to play biggrin.gif

We just had a match, 50 minutes into the game we had a Mismatch error shit.gif , something about the game being out of synco, we're all running on a gig Lan with decent laptops, I installed the game on all the laptops so I know all files are exactly the same.
I've done some googling and I've read that if any of the players lag, this can cause the mismatch? does anyone have any advice on this mismatch error? I notice online it seems quite widely reported.

I'll check out your videos in the meantime, thanks

+Quote Post
Shiro
post 7 Apr 2017, 14:14
Post #7

Gamer Girl
Group Icon

Group: Legend
Member No.: 182
Friendly Freelancer

Mismatches stem from the ancient netcode (and random undiscovered errors). We spend a lot of time to find the latter, but we can't do anything about the former.

+Quote Post
Hanfield
post 7 Apr 2017, 14:44
Post #8

Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 10884

Regarding that, the vanilla Generals' INI files contain an amusing comment from one of the devs:

; Network timing settings. Don't mess with these unless you know what you're doing!
; If you are tempted to mess with these, please let me know. Bryan x36810
; This does not imply that I know what I'm doing.

--------------------
"don't live, hanfield"
"i swear to god, if this was a room full of you people i'd be taking off my gloves and slapping hanfield every 5 minutes"

- bruce 2016

+Quote Post
{Lads}RikerZZZ
post 7 Apr 2017, 23:58
Post #9

Certified Shitposter
Group Icon

Group: Tester
Member No.: 10248
pls join my games im lonely =c

if youre not playing on 1.87, play on 1,87. its WAY more stable than 1.86 ever was

--------------------

Many thanks to IvanMRM for my avatar and Star for drawing my epic signature. You guys rock!
Join our Discord Server for a great community and plenty of games and memes!
Also, check out our ROTR - Fan group on Facebook.

+Quote Post
Matt
post 9 Apr 2017, 11:12
Post #10

Group Icon

QUOTE ({Lads}RikerZZZ @ 7 Apr 2017, 23:58) *
if youre not playing on 1.87, play on 1,87. its WAY more stable than 1.86 ever was

I thought 1.87 was still in BETA testing so wasn't sure how stable it was, but if you're recommending it then I'll make sure I install it on Monday morning, hopefully that might help.

This post has been edited by Matt: 9 Apr 2017, 11:12

+Quote Post
ZunZero97
post 10 Apr 2017, 4:54
Post #11

A Legendary Fox
Group Icon

Member No.: 10865
a man who play videogames, What are you waiting for me?

Do not increase mor the cooldown of SW please, or fighting against ECA defense turtle will be embarasing and or bored. sad.gif

+Quote Post
jl319
post 10 Apr 2017, 10:08
Post #12

Group Icon

Member No.: 14916

QUOTE (Maelstrom @ 7 Apr 2017, 20:01) *

Brilliant gameplay though, especially the ECA vs GLA match (Mizo vs celestia44)- I see I have a lot to learn, as I play against AI too much. I subscribed to your channel, by the way.

I agree about it being a little sad to ban super weapons, as it pretty much makes a waste of the Pandora protocol- not that I use it a lot, though. Even so, I think, the longer countdown times on SWs just mean you shouldn't overly rely on them, and the previous countdown times were simply too short, giving players too little time to counter SWs.

+Quote Post
Hanfield
post 10 Apr 2017, 11:30
Post #13

Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 10884

QUOTE (jl319 @ 10 Apr 2017, 12:08) *
as it pretty much makes a waste of the Pandora protocol

Then I wonder why it's considered to be broken as hell even w/o SWs :8

--------------------
"don't live, hanfield"
"i swear to god, if this was a room full of you people i'd be taking off my gloves and slapping hanfield every 5 minutes"

- bruce 2016

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28 March 2024 - 16:08