Act of Agression - New "CnC Generals"?!
MyDude25
post 17 May 2015, 11:14
Post #26

Group Icon

Group: Project Leader
Member No.: 881

Just got into the beta as well and my first impression so far is this:

-I'd take CoH and even Gen's in-your-face camera than what AoA has.
-Early game is slow and i mean really slow to the point even CoH and Starcraft 2 laughs at it.
-Resource management has too much micro for no solid reason other than "look cool" and "innovative".
-Aircrafts are godawful slow that even the B52's in C&C Generals were way faster than the F35 lightnings in this game.
...and lastly, Eugen really needs to STOP calling this as a "C&C Generals successor" or even linking it to the (now hibernating) C&C franchise. Infact, it's predecessor, Act of war felt more C&C-ish than this game.

This post has been edited by Kris: 17 May 2015, 11:37

--------------------
Sup guiyz
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Die Hindenburg
post 17 May 2015, 11:59
Post #27

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 10025

QUOTE (Kris @ 17 May 2015, 12:14) *
Just got into the beta as well and my first impression so far is this:

-I'd take CoH and even Gen's in-your-face camera than what AoA has.
-Early game is slow and i mean really slow to the point even CoH and Starcraft 2 laughs at it.
-Resource management has too much micro for no solid reason other than "look cool" and "innovative".
-Aircrafts are godawful slow that even the B52's in C&C Generals were way faster than the F35 lightnings in this game.
...and lastly, Eugen really needs to STOP calling this as a "C&C Generals successor" or even linking it to the (now hibernating) C&C franchise. Infact, it's predecessor, Act of war felt more C&C-ish than this game.

WOW... thats pretty hard words you write and it seems the recourse system and some other parts are pointless, but this is an Beta, and they could still change these easily.
But yes Act of War was the last command and conquer that was well made (oh and you notice something? tongue.gif)

Act of Aggression tries a bit too much, but also is too similar to AOW, even the factions are almost carbon copies with different skin, but this can be a good thing actually. The factions are still much better visually than any other faction, as they atleast use real designs and not fictional crap.

Just the camo they use for the cartel is a bit too overdone looks to much like TRON. But the Cartel is interesting because its reminicient of that Peace Walker CIA group.

+Quote Post
MyDude25
post 17 May 2015, 19:42
Post #28

Group Icon

QUOTE (Die Hindenburg @ 17 May 2015, 18:59) *
WOW... thats pretty hard words you write and it seems the recourse system and some other parts are pointless, but this is an Beta, and they could still change these easily

Yeah, it's true that it's beta and they could still change alot of things. But regarding the resource mechanics, reading their forums seems i'm not the only one who thinks its way too overcomplicated and practically bogs down the game. Infact, even CoH's overcomplicated resource mechanics was more fluid and easier to pick up and learn compared to this..mindfuck.gif

QUOTE (Die Hindenburg @ 17 May 2015, 18:59) *
Act of Aggression tries a bit too much, but also is too similar to AOW, even the factions are almost carbon copies with different skin, but this can be a good thing actually. The factions are still much better visually than any other faction, as they atleast use real designs and not fictional crap.

Honestly, this is what i truly feel about Act of Agression; It tries way too hard to be C&C and Act of War at the same time. As for usage of 'real designs', well, they practically grabbed all the Wargames assets and shoved it into Act of agression. ~ 10/10 quality recycling. mindfuck.gif

--------------------
Sup guiyz

+Quote Post
DELETED MEMBER
post 18 May 2015, 13:02
Post #29

BANNED
Group Icon

Member No.: 48

QUOTE (Kris @ 17 May 2015, 20:42) *
Yeah, it's true that it's beta and they could still change alot of things. But regarding the resource mechanics, reading their forums seems i'm not the only one who thinks its way too overcomplicated and practically bogs down the game. Infact, even CoH's overcomplicated resource mechanics was more fluid and easier to pick up and learn compared to this..mindfuck.gif

I am honestly confused, the mechanics are the same (some units just cost money, other also need aluminium and hight tech ones need rare metals, similar to units in CoH needing either manpower or a combination), the only slighly confusing thing is the placement of the refinery (it needs to cover the resources with its area, not the actual footprint) or the US building for rare metals i forgot the name off and rare metals and aluminium needing silos
so i dont get where the hell this overcomplicated think came from

i do agree planes are slow though specially with the map size

--------------------

+Quote Post
MyDude25
post 18 May 2015, 23:38
Post #30

Group Icon

QUOTE (DELETED MEMBER @ 18 May 2015, 20:02) *
I am honestly confused, the mechanics are the same (some units just cost money, other also need aluminium and hight tech ones need rare metals, similar to units in CoH needing either manpower or a combination), the only slighly confusing thing is the placement of the refinery (it needs to cover the resources with its area, not the actual footprint) or the US building for rare metals i forgot the name off and rare metals and aluminium needing silos
so i dont get where the hell this overcomplicated think came from

The overcomplication came from the fact that while the resource networking was a good idea, on paper, it was badly executed in the actual game. They might as well call the game "Act of Resource Baby Sitting" or what a forumer said: "FedEx Logistic /Amazon Storage simulator".

Infact, even CoH's multiple resources were easier to pick up (from a casual perspective) and manage because once you chained them up those territories, everything goes full automatic and you don't need to manually set up different resource chains where trucks can actually get stuck or lost or even both.

--------------------
Sup guiyz

+Quote Post
MyDude25
post 20 May 2015, 15:07
Post #31

Group Icon

Gameplay + Honest criticism video of Act of Agression by Generals Gentlemen:

Just a gameplay video by VulcanHDGaming

This post has been edited by Kris: 20 May 2015, 15:10

--------------------
Sup guiyz

+Quote Post
The_Hunter
post 10 Jun 2015, 11:52
Post #32

Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 1
Projects: SWR Productions
Bitch slapping SAGE since 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXCRk84A1WQ

They released the introduction trailer to the Chimera faction.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kommandant Karis...
post 10 Jun 2015, 13:24
Post #33

Platoon 7, Gallian militia
Group Icon

Member No.: 10697
never go full tumblr

Ooh ... the long-range cannons and power-providing HQ make me think of ECA, not to mention the exosuit infantry. They seem like a pretty sweet faction. c:

--------------------

Props to HoneyBee for the awesome sig!
My YouTube page

+Quote Post
Sargeant Rho
post 10 Jun 2015, 18:54
Post #34

Cranium Ventilator in chief
Group Icon

Member No.: 42

Chimera seems to be very close to the TFT in Act of War, without outright being the TFT, which is nice tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Adoge
post 11 Jun 2015, 0:47
Post #35

Group Icon

Member No.: 11052

I'm really looking forward to the Cartel.

Chimera and Cartel were the ones that really interested me while the US was more of a distraction.

i really like the idea behind the Cartel and their sort of Private Military/Corporatist. Personally I prefer this backstory to that of the Consortium. Noticeable also is that unlike the Consrtium, the Cartel are high-tech all the way. They don't have AK-47 soldiers and RPG teams (From what I understand at least).

--------------------
A place where I posted my idea about a possible take on the Post-Red Alert 2 Command and Conquer universe: Reimagining Post Red Alert 2

If you wish to share your faction and RTS game ideas and provide constructive criticism on others', come and join us in this thread: Faction, World and RTS Game ideas

My Ideas: (Criticism appreciated)

Directorate vs Remnant, Backstory Part 1, Backstory Part 2, Characters and groups of the Directorate and Remnant

Basilisk vs Echelon, Unit and General List

Cataclysm: Embers of Hope (an RTS) (This where I will post most of my idea for Cataclysm.)

Global Chaos (Working Title)

My current Fourth General(s):
USA: H.Y.D.R.A, General Schwarzkopf (under development)

GLA: Colonel Abis

+Quote Post
MARS
post 11 Jun 2015, 7:09
Post #36

Group Icon

Member No.: 10

I must say, having observed this game for some time, I am growing just a little skeptical. It may still be a beta but something about the gameplay, just the way units move and behave rubs me the wrong way. I don't know, perhaps it's just me being too used to smaller scale, more tactical games like CoH these days but seeing this more arcady style of gameplay (where you never really micro a single unit but always throw around whole clusters of tanks and helicopters) rendered in modern realistic graphics just seems really jarring to me. There also seems to be something about the lighting and the overall visual language that looks off to me personally. The resource system seems to be trying too hard to be unique and becomes clunky in the process (how is that a throwback to '90s C&C style RTS'?), not to mention that seeing all these oil and crystal pits scattered around the landscape, often alligned in grid formations, just looks ugly to me. I reckon these are all pretty petty as far as complaints go and chances are I'll still give this game a try, but I'm not feeling very optimistic about it anymore but again, that's probably down to the fact that I really prefer games like CoH, whereas C&C style gameplay just feels kinda dated to me nowadays. The thing that I would like to see brought back/rebooted in C&C is -not- so much the gameplay as it is the scenarios actually.

+Quote Post
Die Hindenburg
post 11 Jun 2015, 16:05
Post #37

Group Icon

QUOTE (MARS @ 11 Jun 2015, 8:09) *
I must say, having observed this game for some time, I am growing just a little skeptical. It may still be a beta but something about the gameplay, just the way units move and behave rubs me the wrong way. I don't know, perhaps it's just me being too used to smaller scale, more tactical games like CoH these days but seeing this more arcady style of gameplay (where you never really micro a single unit but always throw around whole clusters of tanks and helicopters) rendered in modern realistic graphics just seems really jarring to me. There also seems to be something about the lighting and the overall visual language that looks off to me personally. The resource system seems to be trying too hard to be unique and becomes clunky in the process (how is that a throwback to '90s C&C style RTS'?), not to mention that seeing all these oil and crystal pits scattered around the landscape, often alligned in grid formations, just looks ugly to me. I reckon these are all pretty petty as far as complaints go and chances are I'll still give this game a try, but I'm not feeling very optimistic about it anymore but again, that's probably down to the fact that I really prefer games like CoH, whereas C&C style gameplay just feels kinda dated to me nowadays. The thing that I would like to see brought back/rebooted in C&C is -not- so much the gameplay as it is the scenarios actually.

Always the sceptical, MARS, or? tongue.gif
But yes they try a bit so much.

+Quote Post
Cracky
post 7 Jul 2015, 14:44
Post #38

Mongrel
Group Icon

Member No.: 10294

Obviously going to buy this one for my steam.

also
1. US Army
2. Cartel
3. Chimera

My personal ranks for the factions. Cartel was gonna be my #1 but it's high learning curve drove me away.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Adoge
post 18 Jul 2015, 4:46
Post #39

Group Icon

Member No.: 11052

So the Open Beta's finally out and the Chimera and the US, as well as the game are looking good.
While I'm gonna hold off until the Cartel is added and then dive in, I'm really liking how it's looking and TotalBiscuit and others have really enjoyed it so far.
I was wondering if anyone else gave it a try and what their thoughts were?

--------------------
A place where I posted my idea about a possible take on the Post-Red Alert 2 Command and Conquer universe: Reimagining Post Red Alert 2

If you wish to share your faction and RTS game ideas and provide constructive criticism on others', come and join us in this thread: Faction, World and RTS Game ideas

My Ideas: (Criticism appreciated)

Directorate vs Remnant, Backstory Part 1, Backstory Part 2, Characters and groups of the Directorate and Remnant

Basilisk vs Echelon, Unit and General List

Cataclysm: Embers of Hope (an RTS) (This where I will post most of my idea for Cataclysm.)

Global Chaos (Working Title)

My current Fourth General(s):
USA: H.Y.D.R.A, General Schwarzkopf (under development)

GLA: Colonel Abis

+Quote Post
freeone3000
post 3 Aug 2015, 18:53
Post #40

Group Icon

Group: New Members
Member No.: 11885

I've tried it. It's very resource-management-heavy. I expected something like Act of War or C&C Generals, but it doesn't play like either. It plays similar to Company of Heroes, but... worse.

Chimera infantry are significantly overpowered for their cost - they're a basic infantry unit that are *the best* anti-infantry infantry, to the point where other infantry can't even fire a shot before being killed. Bases can be captured immediately after game start by basic infantry (and, really, most infantry), meaning that if you're playing anything other than Chimera, you need static anti-infantry defenses throughout your base VERY early - and if you're Chimera, putting down a dude or two is good enough.

As soon as mechanized units are available, there's no reason to build more infantry. Infantry can no longer be stationed on top of buildings, and there's no crew-served weapons, which means that anti-tank in a building is limited to your standard rocket infantry. The lack of snipers means that buildings can't be "safely" taken, they have to be either captured or bombarded - again, Chimera wins here, because SEALs are required to go toe-to-toe with them, and SEALs require red blocks.

Right. Some things require red blocks. Some things require blue blocks. But you're not allowed to get the red blocks until you're fully tech'd up. You have to fully defend the red blocks, but you can't actually take them until you're tech level 3. It makes it a severe tech and resource management race, since the first person to the red blocks gets the best units.

Say you *do* have the red blocks, and everyone has red blocks. It turns into undifferentiated unit spam, since every faction has one spammable unit (their second-best one) that is linked to their infinite-resource-generation building. It's an awful design choice that turns everything into massed tank destruction, since there's no resource limitations. If games manage to get into late-game, you'll frequently see columns of sixty tanks hit each other and promptly explode.

Artillery has a much more limited role, and limited range.

In short, if you think Act of Aggression looks like something you want to play, but you really liked C&C Generals, you should be playing Act of War: Direct Action.

+Quote Post
Die Hindenburg
post 6 Aug 2015, 3:55
Post #41

Group Icon

The only thing to critique is that all three factions have merican equipment, and two of them russian equipment. Too much merica there.

+Quote Post
MARS
post 6 Aug 2015, 6:10
Post #42

Group Icon

Though from what I understand, the Cartel is made up of cancelled/stolen designs from other parts of the world. At least it isn't as extreme as it was with Act of War where one faction was the US and another was...the US but more high-tech.

+Quote Post
Die Hindenburg
post 6 Aug 2015, 14:58
Post #43

Group Icon

Thats correct, but for chimera i wished they replaced the Valor helicopter, Crusher drone, and stinger/ATGM upgrades for some of their units with european or asian equivalents, of which there are many,
like the AW609 with is also a tiltrotor helicopter, and the Da Gou, a chinese copy of the LSSS drone. For the stingers i would replace them with Mistral, and HOT as ATGMs, and for the SAS sniper they could do it with the RT-20 as heavy AM rifle.

+Quote Post
Nasher660
post 6 Aug 2015, 20:00
Post #44

Group Icon

Member No.: 10751

Hmmm I like the look of the Cartel, I want to get my hands on them and have a play.

Cartel Faction Gameplay Video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-_VFnLAaak

--------------------
"What are the rules of engagement?"
"Simple, we win and they lose. The more humiliating the better."
"This is why we should never lead an armed group. Glad we never told them that till they put us in charge."

A normal conversation with me and my Dad

+Quote Post
Kommandant Karis...
post 6 Aug 2015, 21:15
Post #45

Platoon 7, Gallian militia
Group Icon

Member No.: 10697
never go full tumblr

Some of their tech actually looks pretty cool. I don't like how unoriginal the concept is though.

This post has been edited by Kommandant Karisse: 6 Aug 2015, 21:20

--------------------

Props to HoneyBee for the awesome sig!
My YouTube page

+Quote Post
MARS
post 24 Oct 2015, 7:42
Post #46

Group Icon

So I just tried my first skirmish game as USA vs Cartel and as hard as I'm trying to like the game - I can't, sorry.
First, even the smallest available map feels way too large with so much empty, unused terrain that travelling cross country is tedious. The scale, coupled with the intended zoom level already being too high, makes it difficult to identify units at a glance and takes away much of the spectacle. Tech progression seems like a total mess too, with you having to build countless buildings that seem to serve little purpose besides unlocking more and granting an upgrade or two. Games like CoH and ROTR are way better at this, having only a handful of buildings that you need which all retain an important function even after you have purchased their upgrades. The visual language of the base structures is also rather terrible. Everything has this generic realistic look to it which makes it difficult to tell structures apart. Sure, you can identify something like a refinery or a helipad but then you have all these bland looking tech and support buildings, multiple factories and others cluttering up your base that have no defining visual cues whatsoever. I also strongly dislike the resource system as it is time consuming and pointlessly micro-heavy. Having to constantly survey the map with some unit to find deposits of aluminium and rare earth (not a single bit of the latter actually appeared in my game even though I was searching high and low) is just downright bad design in my opinion because it places too much gameplay focus and player attention on something that should be much more straightforward. The battles meanwhile do feel sufficiently like old 90s RTS games in that, at least to me, it all feels really really dated. It all comes down to giant blobs colliding and wiping each other out rapidly based on what feels to be a very Starcrafty hard-counter system, which I personally don't like as it makes the game more about memorising counters of overspecialised units instead of managing them to their maximum effect. I will probably play some more later but for now, my skepticism about the game feels sadly justified.

+Quote Post
Die Hindenburg
post 25 Oct 2015, 1:19
Post #47

Group Icon

QUOTE (MARS @ 24 Oct 2015, 8:42) *
So I just tried my first skirmish game as USA vs Cartel and as hard as I'm trying to like the game - I can't, sorry.
First, even the smallest available map feels way too large with so much empty, unused terrain that travelling cross country is tedious. The scale, coupled with the intended zoom level already being too high, makes it difficult to identify units at a glance and takes away much of the spectacle. Tech progression seems like a total mess too, with you having to build countless buildings that seem to serve little purpose besides unlocking more and granting an upgrade or two. Games like CoH and ROTR are way better at this, having only a handful of buildings that you need which all retain an important function even after you have purchased their upgrades. The visual language of the base structures is also rather terrible. Everything has this generic realistic look to it which makes it difficult to tell structures apart. Sure, you can identify something like a refinery or a helipad but then you have all these bland looking tech and support buildings, multiple factories and others cluttering up your base that have no defining visual cues whatsoever. I also strongly dislike the resource system as it is time consuming and pointlessly micro-heavy. Having to constantly survey the map with some unit to find deposits of aluminium and rare earth (not a single bit of the latter actually appeared in my game even though I was searching high and low) is just downright bad design in my opinion because it places too much gameplay focus and player attention on something that should be much more straightforward. The battles meanwhile do feel sufficiently like old 90s RTS games in that, at least to me, it all feels really really dated. It all comes down to giant blobs colliding and wiping each other out rapidly based on what feels to be a very Starcrafty hard-counter system, which I personally don't like as it makes the game more about memorising counters of overspecialised units instead of managing them to their maximum effect. I will probably play some more later but for now, my skepticism about the game feels sadly justified.

Not to sound like a smarty, but i knew that even long before the game came out, that it would be that what, just by looking at the prelease screenshots. tongue.gif
Shame that all RTS are the same, tabletop games and plastic soldiers armies (always combine them with fire crackers to blow them up) always beat RTS/RTT anyway.

This post has been edited by Die Hindenburg: 25 Oct 2015, 1:21

+Quote Post
__CrUsHeR
post 29 Oct 2015, 11:48
Post #48

Group Icon

Member No.: 9084
"No. Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise."

I was recently playing Act of Aggression; well, I expected a gameplay to flow more smoothly considering that the gameplay of Act of War was already a bit truncated; to my disappointment the Act of Agression missed at the dosage and difficult things in this regard even more. As the MARS said: the maps are huge and manage the resources and expand its base and map control is a mission worthy of the AoE, something that definitely does not suit with modern war RTS games in my opinion.

Occasionally you can find good battles in a skirmish at the cost of a sub-human micro-management (which I particularly dislike - at the least not in this extent), then I say that the game's ideas are good (as in the case of the Act of War), but the dose is exaggerated.

--------------------

You already imagined how would be SAP in the ROTR's universe? Check out this fan-fiction: South American Pact Introduction

+Quote Post
Basilisx
post 12 Mar 2016, 17:15
Post #49

Group Icon

Group: Tester
Member No.: 9682

As it seems, there is an update on the way for AoA that alters the gameplay massively. It seems to be much more in line with a potential spiritual successor to Generals.
I let you see for yourself:
AoA Rebooted

--------------------

+Quote Post
TimeBurner
post 13 Mar 2016, 12:08
Post #50

Motherland's Finest
Group Icon

Member No.: 10454
"We have watched, we have waited, now... we act!"

This game barely lasted 1 hour in my computer after installing.

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28 March 2024 - 10:55