Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

French Translation, All in the title
General Arkansas
post 11 Dec 2017, 21:47
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 10179

When the mod will be a bit stable or in a long dev phase with no many updates, let me know if you (devs) want me to translate the mod (I mean ALL the texts).

If you remember, I'm the 19yo fellow French comrade who track you since... 6 years ? (see the topic here : http://forums.swr-productions.com/index.php?showtopic=13244)

Now I'm a man and I need stuff to put on my resume, also I'm a veteran English-to-French translator (I'm working for a french comics publisher after school, I've translated some stuff of Blitzkrieg 3 and the French team of War Thunder hired me for translate their articles on their website, also I'm translating a looooot of stuff from the English Wikipedia to the French one).

So if you're interested, lemme know (as a free contribution, not a paid job of course). You could include the translate in the installer of the next update ?

- Hugo, your devoted comrade
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Damfoos
post 17 Dec 2017, 23:21
Post #2

"Ha! I could do this with my eyes closed!"
Group Icon

Group: Tester
Member No.: 10686
Russian translator

You made me finally get to restoring my account password lol

Good to know there are people interested in making translations for mods. Not sure if such things are even accounted for portfolio, since it's a mod, not an official game or something, but this is certainly an interesting experience, so go ahead if you're interested. There are certain things to keep in mind however:

You don't have to wait for a "more stable version", because the text you need to translate doesn't change a lot between versions, the majority of strings stay the same, so the sooner you start, the better. I do not recommend to upload translations for beta versions however, do it only for those patches that are complete and released on ModDB. This is where you put it, because translations are always uploaded separately and are not supplied with the mod. Also, I don't think devs are in need of any particular translation, more like they welcome them if someone volunteers. But from my experience, it's better to make a translation first and then ask for support, so there's already something to support.

Translation can be boring or even annoying because of the amount of work you have to do. There's about 1500 strings (or maybe more, it's been a while since I opened it last time) you need to process, so don't expect it to be quick and have patience. If you're doing it for fun, it will be easier.

However, you can make your life easier. If there's a French translation of ZH, you can take its string file (generals.csf or .str) and import ROTR strings there, so all the GUI strings not related to actual game content (unit names, abilities, descriptions) will be already covered. To do that, however, you need a proper editor, and I would highly recommend Turbo String Table Editor, which you can find here:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/3380...able_Editor.rar

Obviously you'll also need FinalBIG to extract said files and put the edited file in, and some graphical editor if you want to go big and translate text on images like launcher buttons or those win/lose pictures. If you want to know technical details, I can help you there, ask here or on SWR discord. Also you can download my language pack to see which files are translated and how they are packed. It would be interesting to have someone else completing a project similar to mine, so far only the Russian translation is done and up to date. Best of luck, I hope you'll find it enjoyable! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Damfoos: 17 Dec 2017, 23:25

--------------------

ROTR 1.86 RUS | ShockWave 1.2 RUS | Operation:Firestorm RUS
ROTR VK Fan Group => ROTR.VK <= Группа ROTR ВКонтакте
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28 March 2024 - 23:52