Reply to this topicStart new topic
Rise of the Reds Update: Tunnel Rats
MARS
post 17 Mar 2012, 20:00
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Project Leader
Member No.: 10

Greetings and salutations, Rise of the Reds fans. The time has come to present you another update on our steady progress.

South Sudan, 2041

"What is it we are dealing with?" General Orlov asked as he rushed into the command tent.
"We've got one of our mechanised patrols, Zvezda, under enemy attack in this sector", the radio operator replied and pointed at an area on the tactical map. It was a valley near a Russian-held oil depot that had been subject to repeated probing attacks in the past few months.
The local insurgency had been getting increasingly hostile as of late and rumour among the populace had it that they were the vanguard of a 'new GLA'. Unlike high command, Orlov was the kind of cautious individual who took such warnings very seriously.
"Patch me through", said Orlov while grabbing the radio head-set. "This is General Orlov to Zvezda patrol. Come in, over."
He could barely hear his own words over the sound of heavy automatic gunfire, occasionally broken up by frantic screams and the crackling of the old, analogue radio.
Suddenly, he managed to make out a panicking voice coming in from the other end: "This is Serzhant Natalya Durova! Our patrol ran into an IED and is now under fire from covered enemy positions.
The Leytenant got his face blown off by a Dushka and now I'm the only one left in charge. We're down to a half dozen men and need support ASAP!"
"Crocodiles are on the way, Serzhant!", the general replied sternly while throwing a quick hand signal to his aide, who hurried out of the tent to rally the Mi-24 crews. "Can you tell me anything about the enemy's composition?"
"There's too god-damn many of them and they just don't stop coming. They're moving quickly between positions and keep hitting our fla-, wait a second...Da, our marksman just told me that they're using tunnels. They probably have the entire area connected with a network..."
The voice was suddenly overwhelmed by the shrill, howling sound of a multi-rocket launcher.
"It's a Grad! They've brought Grads, we're do-"
In an instant, the radio went silent. Orlov took off the headphones and smacked them on the table. "Blyad! Damn those pencil-pushing fools at high command, I knew it. These weren't just...crude, connected dug-outs; they've put all their equipment and operations underground!"

The Hideout is the foundation of every GLA encampment, allowing the early deployment of Workers, Command Trucks and reconnaissance vehicles.
Notably, it appears to act purely as a basic logistics facility and does not contain any of the GLA's vital command infrastructure.

Foreign intelligence agencies speculate that every Supply Stash is connected to an enormous network of logistics tunnels that hold large quantities of weapons, fuel, ammunition and provisions.

Unlike its predecessor, the new GLA is no longer reliant on using converted civilian buildings from their host countries, as these small, rapidly establishable training camps go to show.

Illegal weapon suppliers are still among the most important contacts of even the smallest GLA cell leader. These structures also include such things as a basic machine shop and foundry.

As the 'UAV recon images' we showed a while ago suggest, the new GLA - which you are going to see in the next version of the mod - will rely even more heavily on tunnel structures than its predecessor. Every production structure is going to be a tunnel and thus connected with everything else, including Tunnel Networks and Sneak Attack tunnels, allowing for the rapid re-deployment of troops across great distances. In addition, the GLA no longer uses a static command centre to call in general powers; this, along with radar-coverage and an upgrade that unlocks their tier-2 technologies, is the function of their Command Trucks. In its deployed state, the Truck will be the most vital part of a GLA base, so protect it at all costs.

This should be all for the moment. Stay tuned for future updates on the new GLA...You may hear from those pesky chaps once again sooner than you might expect.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SpiralSpectre
post 17 Mar 2012, 20:38
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 8905
Loves guessing games

Great to see an elaborate update. Can't figure out why I am specially loving the supply stash. BTW that news flash pic looks epic! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Claine
post 17 Mar 2012, 20:48
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 8902

QUOTE (SpiralSpectre @ 18 Mar 2012, 3:38) *
BTW that news flash pic looks epic! smile.gif

yeah specially in game ani8b.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dangerman
post 17 Mar 2012, 22:04
Post #4

I fits I sits
Group Icon

Member No.: 1107

Sweet as usual and it looks like the GLA are getting a serious overhaul. Though one nitpick about the date; does RoTR lore wise go into 2040s I assumed it just was going to stay in the late 2020s-2030s?

+Quote Post
Mr.Kim
post 18 Mar 2012, 3:39
Post #5

Losing Karma to Vault Boy
Group Icon

Group: Tester
Member No.: 34
Some future plan mod for AoE3:Asian Dynasty or FO4

Pretty cool new GLA's buldings. Seems no longer use old building after Zero:Hour Campaign.

This post has been edited by MR.Kim: 18 Mar 2012, 3:44

--------------------

Let's kick this Russian Tank's ass back to the Bronze Age!

Twitch Chart ID: Mr_kim82

Moddb ID: Mr_Kim

+Quote Post
Massey
post 18 Mar 2012, 5:59
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 127

QUOTE (dangerman1337 @ 18 Mar 2012, 7:04) *
Sweet as usual and it looks like the GLA are getting a serious overhaul. Though one nitpick about the date; does RoTR lore wise go into 2040s I assumed it just was going to stay in the late 2020s-2030s?

thats was my thoughts on the matter, if i remember right the EU war started in 2033 or 34, but who nows maybe the war goes for so long the GLA get stronger becuase of the fight of other nations! tongue.gif

P.S This is making want to play GLA so so bad...

8chi.png

--------------------
This is so on the ball----> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m4SCUaBHS8

+Quote Post
MARS
post 18 Mar 2012, 6:12
Post #7

Group Icon

This is actually something that The_Hunter informed us about recently: According to what little official ZH canon there is, the original game + expansion were set in the 2020s, but at some point waaay back in the day, when we weren't all that serious about continuity with the official canon yet, the end of ZH was moved to 2016, with the African war in 2029. See the problem? So yeah, this is basically a bit of a timeline ret-con. The actual war between Europe and Russia now takes place in the later 2040s. Rest assured though: With this change in mind, we'll probably dedicate an update or two to get you up to speed on the 'revised' timeline. We're obviously not going to change the actual developments from the ground up; just re-adjust the dates.

+Quote Post
Dimension 52
post 18 Mar 2012, 7:12
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 8894

Shit yeah this is going to make the GLA untouchable

--------------------

+Quote Post
Massey
post 18 Mar 2012, 10:19
Post #9

Group Icon

QUOTE (Dimension 52 @ 18 Mar 2012, 16:12) *
Shit yeah this is going to make the GLA untouchable

Just image if the GLA scout unit is going to be a GLA worker on a bike.... then the GLA would be hard to bring down!
If they dont get reinforeced... do they get camo nets or any thing like that....

Also Another thought. If the New GLA are going to be (IMO) a faction that will be base all over the map... will Base defences play much of a roll now?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darkfire Angel
post 18 Mar 2012, 10:34
Post #10

Vampire Zombie Ninja Pirate Viking Samurai Monkey
Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 59
Projects: Deep Impact

Score I was right about the structures from the previous Update.

Very nice work, good to see a move away from generic middle eastern GLA structures to something that actually looks like a terrorist faction.

On ModDB Comrade mentioned that the Sneak Attack Tunnel will be upgradable to the Tunnel Structures, does this mean the Sneak Attack Ability is going to move to a lower tier in the powers menu?

--------------------
1991-2009 Commander JB. Gone but never forgotten.

For King and Country.

+Quote Post
MARS
post 18 Mar 2012, 11:51
Post #11

Group Icon

QUOTE (Massey @ 18 Mar 2012, 10:19) *
Just image if the GLA scout unit is going to be a GLA worker on a bike.... then the GLA would be hard to bring down!
If they dont get reinforeced... do they get camo nets or any thing like that....

Also Another thought. If the New GLA are going to be (IMO) a faction that will be base all over the map... will Base defences play much of a roll now?

Defences will still serve an important purpose. However, Camo-nets and fortifications will be handled differently.
As for the scout unit, it's not a Worker on a bike. You'll find out about it soon enough.

QUOTE (Darkfire Angel @ 18 Mar 2012, 10:34) *
Score I was right about the structures from the previous Update.

Very nice work, good to see a move away from generic middle eastern GLA structures to something that actually looks like a terrorist faction.

On ModDB Comrade mentioned that the Sneak Attack Tunnel will be upgradable to the Tunnel Structures, does this mean the Sneak Attack Ability is going to move to a lower tier in the powers menu?

The Sneak Attack will remain a rank 5 power but it's true that it can be upgraded into any other production tunnel. For example, you could drop one near
an enemy base, send out a bunch of vehicles right off the bat and upgrade it to an Arms Dealer to keep up the pressure with reinforcements/repairs.

+Quote Post
Massey
post 18 Mar 2012, 12:41
Post #12

Group Icon

QUOTE (MARS @ 18 Mar 2012, 20:51) *
Defences will still serve an important purpose. However, Camo-nets and fortifications will be handled differently.
As for the scout unit, it's not a Worker on a bike. You'll find out about it soon enough.

The Sneak Attack will remain a rank 5 power but it's true that it can be upgraded into any other production tunnel. For example, you could drop one near
an enemy base, send out a bunch of vehicles right off the bat and upgrade it to an Arms Dealer to keep up the pressure with reinforcements/repairs.

Thats last part sound really cool. If u need a barracks then just do a sneak attack somewhere on the map and upgrade it! same with all other updates even the supply one!

GLA are more and more becoming the faction to play the most after release!
Not only that but think about Vsing the GLA;
USA: drones will have to fill the map.
Russia: MI-24 with concripts searching for the slippry little guys.
China: The Airblimp flying around search and finding the camps taking fire and waiting to heal reanforcements...ECT.

next release is going to be FUN!

--------------------

+Quote Post
n5p29
post 18 Mar 2012, 13:31
Post #13

Enlima Studios
Group Icon

Member No.: 482

QUOTE (MARS @ 18 Mar 2012, 2:00) *
South Sudan, 2041

I see what you did there...

This post has been edited by n5p29: 18 Mar 2012, 13:32

--------------------

+Quote Post
CobraHumvee
post 18 Mar 2012, 15:23
Post #14

Group Icon

Member No.: 507

lol it says south sedan attacks

--------------------
Signatures are overrated :)

+Quote Post
MARS
post 18 Mar 2012, 15:27
Post #15

Group Icon

Ummm, yeah, that's...of course completely intentional because according to our faction design documents, FFN is basically the Russian in-universe counterpart to FOX News, silly naming/geography errors included, mmkay?

Phew, handwaved that one successfully...Anyway, thanks for pointing this out. It seems like none of us has noticed that little mistake behind the scenes. Comr4de, we gotta talk. duhsov.png

+Quote Post
Jester
post 18 Mar 2012, 15:56
Post #16

Group Icon

Member No.: 80
Forum Mechanic

Awesome stuff the technical underneath the cloth roof makes the structure actually look like it is used to repair vehicles unlike that of EAs model with several weapons racks outside a motor pool awesome job guys! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Panzer4life
post 18 Mar 2012, 16:22
Post #17

Group Icon

Member No.: 8935

Love the new bunker and production buildings. However, what about the US bunker busters, I thought they would clear out the bunkers, and thus anyone in the tunnels would be shafted, or will it just close that tunnel off like it had been EMP and not all of them?

+Quote Post
Cobretti
post 18 Mar 2012, 23:35
Post #18

Group Icon

Member No.: 47

QUOTE (MARS @ 18 Mar 2012, 0:12) *
This is actually something that The_Hunter informed us about recently: According to what little official ZH canon there is, the original game + expansion were set in the 2020s, but at some point waaay back in the day, when we weren't all that serious about continuity with the official canon yet, the end of ZH was moved to 2016, with the African war in 2029. See the problem? So yeah, this is basically a bit of a timeline ret-con. The actual war between Europe and Russia now takes place in the later 2040s. Rest assured though: With this change in mind, we'll probably dedicate an update or two to get you up to speed on the 'revised' timeline. We're obviously not going to change the actual developments from the ground up; just re-adjust the dates.

If I remember correctly, the ZH manual implied that the events in game happened sometime around 2013-2014. If I must make a suggestion, the 2040's seems a bit too far in the future given the weapons used in game. It just doesn't seem likely that stuff like the Mi-24, Humvee, Centurion tank, and so on would still be in use that far in the future.

Anyways, the new GLA buildings look fantastic. I can hardly wait to try them out myself!

--------------------
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."-- George S. Patton

Resquiescat in pace, CommanderJB 1991-2009

+Quote Post
Comr4de
post 19 Mar 2012, 0:38
Post #19

Master of Wreckage
Group Icon

Group: Leader
Member No.: 2
Projects: SWR Productions

QUOTE (CobraHumvee @ 18 Mar 2012, 9:23) *
lol it says south sedan attacks

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

totally my fault.

--------------------

SWR Co-Lead | Texture Artist | Modeler | Level Designer | Fan of all things Awesome

+Quote Post
NergiZed
post 19 Mar 2012, 1:21
Post #20

Group Icon

Member No.: 96
Projects: SWR Productions

There's like eight places named Sedan.

There's also the Sedan Crater

So there, I8.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
GeneralCamo
post 19 Mar 2012, 3:55
Post #21

That person
Group Icon

Member No.: 417
C&C ShockWave Co-Leader

I would just make it 2035, and retcon a chronosphere into this thing...

+Quote Post
MARS
post 19 Mar 2012, 7:17
Post #22

Group Icon

QUOTE (DerKrieger @ 18 Mar 2012, 23:35) *
If I remember correctly, the ZH manual implied that the events in game happened sometime around 2013-2014. If I must make a suggestion, the 2040's seems a bit too far in the future given the weapons used in game. It just doesn't seem likely that stuff like the Mi-24, Humvee, Centurion tank, and so on would still be in use that far in the future.

Well, at the end of the day, this set of changes was approved and green-lighted by The_Hunter himself, who probably knows more about Gens/ZH and what little canon it had than anyone else. Any sources I can find do point out that the conflict started in the 2020s. There's also mention of a 2018 Taiwan conflict, 2014 Mudanjiang disaster and Emperors going into production in 2019, all of which presumably happens before the GLA nukes downtown Beijing. After that, the Sino-American war against the GLA probably takes up the better part of the decade, similar to today's RL war on terror. Thus, we placed the GLA attack on Europe in 2028. After that, the main conflict is pretty much over and a whole set of other events unfolds; the forming of the ECA, Russia's return to superpower status, the whole African affair, the failure of international diplomacy, and eventually the war between Russia and Europe. We had to stretch it out a bit far in order to make it seem less contrived/convoluted.

+Quote Post
Cobretti
post 19 Mar 2012, 7:40
Post #23

Group Icon

Member No.: 47

QUOTE (MARS @ 19 Mar 2012, 1:17) *
Well, at the end of the day, this set of changes was approved and green-lighted by The_Hunter himself, who probably knows more about Gens/ZH and what little canon it had than anyone else. Any sources I can find do point out that the conflict started in the 2020s. There's also mention of a 2018 Taiwan conflict, 2014 Mudanjiang disaster and Overlords going into production in 2019, all of which presumably happens before the GLA nukes downtown Beijing.

That's really weird, I checked with my copy of the Generals manual (from the complete Generals "Deluxe Edition") and the dates are different in the general profiles. For example, the Taiwan Conflict is stated to take place in 2012, the Mudanjiang disaster in 2007, and the Overlords entering production in 2013. I have another copy of the manual back when I bought the games the first time (and subsequently lost and refound them), but either it's at my parent's house or one of my brothers has it.

--------------------
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."-- George S. Patton

Resquiescat in pace, CommanderJB 1991-2009

+Quote Post
MARS
post 19 Mar 2012, 7:55
Post #24

Group Icon

Wanna know what's even weirder? I've got a UK copy of the Deluxe Edition...and it doesn't mention ANY of these dates, not even the events! The only thing it has is the bombing of the "USS Nelsen" in 2012, at the hands of Gen. Juhziz. But yeah, part of the reason we stick to the "Gens in 2020" premise is the fact that building an elaborate backstory on dates that are only a few years ahead in reality often leads to a Great Politics Mess-Up. By contrast, having later dates allows us to extrapolate current events and developments to a greater degree to flesh things out further.

+Quote Post
Shiro
post 19 Mar 2012, 11:51
Post #25

Gamer Girl
Group Icon

Group: Legend
Member No.: 182
Friendly Freelancer

QUOTE (DerKrieger @ 19 Mar 2012, 7:40) *
That's really weird, I checked with my copy of the Generals manual (from the complete Generals "Deluxe Edition") and the dates are different in the general profiles. For example, the Taiwan Conflict is stated to take place in 2012, the Mudanjiang disaster in 2007, and the Overlords entering production in 2013. I have another copy of the manual back when I bought the games the first time (and subsequently lost and refound them), but either it's at my parent's house or one of my brothers has it.

I have the German Deluxe edition and the dates about Emperors starting production in 2019 are in there. It's probably best to simply trust The_Hunter as usual and take his words to heart. I'm also fairly sure some of the dates were changed because the Mudanjiang desaster and others didn't happen then. I'd presume you bought your edition pre-2007 while I bought mine in 2007/2008.

Tought of the day - the Emperor protects, The_Hunter knows all.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19 April 2024 - 7:59