IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
what anime do you like?, this is a topic about what for anime you like.
NergiZed
post 17 Jun 2009, 19:18
Post #26

Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 96
Projects: SWR Productions

QUOTE (Overdose @ 16 Jun 2009, 22:19) *
Roberta is my favorite character in Black Lagoon. I'm so happy she'll be back in Season 3.

Holy Shit! Epic Season 3 Confirmed!

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Overdose
post 17 Jun 2009, 19:52
Post #27

Hardly Diplomatic
Group Icon

Group: Legend
Member No.: 4
Projects: Retired

Roberta and her huge rifle. It puts Seras' Harkonnen to shame.

--------------------

+Quote Post
NergiZed
post 17 Jun 2009, 21:32
Post #28

Group Icon

QUOTE (Overdose @ 18 Jun 2009, 0:52) *

Roberta and her huge rifle. It puts Seras' Harkonnen to shame.

umm.... what?

Seras's Harkonnen II is basically two tank cannons carried by a person. Though I personally dislike Seras' for simply being the boobs bouncying around the room and failing to be the comic relief, her gun is A Beast.

Although, I guess sometimes, she is serious business.

Roberta though, in the comic and the show, is serious business, All, The, Time. (when her Spanish Theme kicks in the the show, you know she's gonna start to pwn everyone in the vicinity).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cobretti
post 18 Jun 2009, 1:37
Post #29

Group Icon

Member No.: 47

Roberta's rifle is a real weapon you know...the Barrett M82/M107 anti-materiel rifle. It's basically a BFG rifle that fires .50 in (12.7mm) thick cartridges that were originally designed (back in the 1920's) to take out tanks and aircraft. To make things even more ridiculous there's a grenade launcher (possibly a South African made MGL-140) of some sorts underneath the barrel! There appears to be no scope on the rifle, though...I'm don't think the M82 even has iron sights (thus making firing such a weapon sans scope with any accuracy an impossibility).

--------------------
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."-- George S. Patton

Resquiescat in pace, CommanderJB 1991-2009

+Quote Post
Overdose
post 18 Jun 2009, 2:07
Post #30

Hardly Diplomatic
Group Icon

Roberta is what throws most of the show's realism out of the window.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sargeant Rho
post 18 Jun 2009, 5:47
Post #31

Cranium Ventilator in chief
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 42

I used to watch almost every anime they aired a few years ago, but ATM I only watch Neon Genesis Evangelion, if I ever catch an episode tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pickysaurus
post 18 Jun 2009, 21:12
Post #32

Officer of the European Continental Army
Group Icon

Member No.: 71
Community Manager at Nexus Mods

Personally I can't see why anime has such a huge hype online. I'm not really into it at all. Used to watch some stuff, but I sorta grew out of cartoons

--------------------

+Quote Post
Destiny
post 18 Jun 2009, 22:06
Post #33

Twintails are eternal!
Group Icon

Member No.: 74
Lurk, cleaned and mounted.

I'm sure the basics everyone probably knows are...anime isn't cartoon.

On the other hand, Sera has a tad too much fanservice, but I don't think it's enough to spoil the whole thing compared to an ecchi series...

Edit: typo

This post has been edited by Destiny: 18 Jun 2009, 22:06

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pickysaurus
post 18 Jun 2009, 22:35
Post #34

Group Icon

QUOTE (Destiny @ 18 Jun 2009, 19:06) *
I'm sure the basics everyone probably knows are...anime isn't cartoon.

On the other hand, Sera has a tad too much fanservice, but I don't think it's enough to spoil the whole thing compared to an ecchi series...

Edit: typo

Enlighten me, what is it if it is not a cartoon?
Animated drawings = Cartoon, correct?

--------------------

+Quote Post
NergiZed
post 18 Jun 2009, 22:58
Post #35

Group Icon

QUOTE (Pickysaurus @ 19 Jun 2009, 3:35) *
Enlighten me, what is it if it is not a cartoon?
Animated drawings = Cartoon, correct?

Eh, not really. Anime is basically Japanese animated drawings, while cartoons are more American/international animated drawings.

Cartoons are generally geared towards kids, while anime is basically the whole spectrum.

In anime you can get something as deep in story and loosely based in reality like Monster or Grave of the Fireflies

You can have some serious mind-fucks with stuff like Haruhi, Ergo Proxy or Serial Experiment Lain

You could also have some ultra-violent stuff like Hellsing, Elfin Lied, or Blood: The Last Vampire

Also some incredibly awesome shit like Full Metal Alchemist, Cowboy Beebop, Black Lagoon and Kenshin which can't be categorized in any other way besides awesome.

You can have some more mainstream kids stuff like Naruto, Bleach and One Piece.

Or some incredibly cute stuff like Hamtaro or Chii's Sweet Home

And then there's hentai and ecchi, which I won't go into.

So yeah, anime is far more broad and for all ages while cartoons are much more specific. Keep in mind that for some reason or another, Japan has more anime than it has Live-Action films (I'm pretty sure of this statistic), thus there's a very wide range of shows. Sometimes, Live actors can't have the expressiveness of an animated character.

This post has been edited by NergiZed: 18 Jun 2009, 23:10

--------------------

+Quote Post
Overdose
post 18 Jun 2009, 23:06
Post #36

Hardly Diplomatic
Group Icon

That is correct.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pickysaurus
post 19 Jun 2009, 0:26
Post #37

Group Icon

QUOTE (NergiZed @ 18 Jun 2009, 19:58) *
Eh, not really. Anime is basically Japanese animated drawings, while cartoons are more American/international animated drawings.

Cartoons are generally geared towards kids, while anime is basically the whole spectrum.

In anime you can get something as deep in story and loosely based in reality like Monster or Grave of the Fireflies

You can have some serious mind-fucks with stuff like Haruhi, Ergo Proxy or Serial Experiment Lain

You could also have some ultra-violent stuff like Hellsing, Elfin Lied, or Blood: The Last Vampire

Also some incredibly awesome shit like Full Metal Alchemist, Cowboy Beebop, Black Lagoon and Kenshin which can't be categorized in any other way besides awesome.

You can have some more mainstream kids stuff like Naruto, Bleach and One Piece.

Or some incredibly cute stuff like Hamtaro or Chii's Sweet Home

And then there's hentai and ecchi, which I won't go into.

So yeah, anime is far more broad and for all ages while cartoons are much more specific. Keep in mind that for some reason or another, Japan has more anime than it has Live-Action films (I'm pretty sure of this statistic), thus there's a very wide range of shows. Sometimes, Live actors can't have the expressiveness of an animated character.

I hate to sound arrogant, but what you're saying is it's a Japanese Cartoon geared toward a wider audience than other cartoons tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
NergiZed
post 19 Jun 2009, 11:45
Post #38

Group Icon

QUOTE (Pickysaurus @ 19 Jun 2009, 4:26) *
I hate to sound arrogant, but what you're saying is it's a Japanese Cartoon geared toward a wider audience than other cartoons tongue.gif

Yeah, no. Anime in Japanese simply means animation, thus Anime is Japanese animations, however nowadays it also refers to the style of Japanese animations. Cartoons doesn't just mean an animation, it is also more of a style. I would not call "The Lion King" a cartoon, it's correct category is 'animated feature' or 'animated film'. I'm kinda tired explaining this to you, so I'll just copy paste the definition of Animated Cartoons from Wikipedia:

An animated cartoon is a short, hand-drawn (or made with computers to look similar to something hand-drawn) film for the cinema, television or computer screen, featuring some kind of story or plot (even if it is a very short one). This is distinct from the term "animation" or "animated film", as not all follow the definition.

Seriously, if you look at any of those anime links I posted, and then go compare them to something like Tom & Jerry, Power Puff Girls, or something, and you can't differenciate the two, then there's no point in me explaining this.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alias
post 19 Jun 2009, 11:55
Post #39

Cool Guy
Group Icon

Member No.: 46

If you're going to pull the Dictionary card, you're going to lose.

According to the brilliant source of knowledge, the Oxford English dictionary, a cartoon is:
cartoon

• noun
1 a drawing executed in an exaggerated style for humorous or satirical effect.
2 (also cartoon strip) a narrative sequence of humorous drawings with captions in a comic, newspaper, or magazine.
3 a film made from a sequence of drawings, using animation techniques to give the appearance of movement.
4 a full-size drawing made as a preliminary design for a painting or other work of art.
Don't tell me anime isn't a sequence of drawings giving the illusion of motion because it is. Since it is, it is therefore a 'cartoon'.

tl;dr: anime is a cartoon by definition

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pickysaurus
post 19 Jun 2009, 14:24
Post #40

Group Icon

QUOTE (NergiZed @ 19 Jun 2009, 8:45) *
Yeah, no. Anime in Japanese simply means animation, thus Anime is Japanese animations, however nowadays it also refers to the style of Japanese animations. Cartoons doesn't just mean an animation, it is also more of a style. I would not call "The Lion King" a cartoon, it's correct category is 'animated feature' or 'animated film'. I'm kinda tired explaining this to you, so I'll just copy paste the definition of Animated Cartoons from Wikipedia:

Seriously, if you look at any of those anime links I posted, and then go compare them to something like Tom & Jerry, Power Puff Girls, or something, and you can't differenciate the two, then there's no point in me explaining this.

I can understand that, but I think Alias sorta countered your argument there tongue.gif

QUOTE (Alias @ 19 Jun 2009, 8:55) *
If you're going to pull the Dictionary card, you're going to lose.

According to the brilliant source of knowledge, the Oxford English dictionary, a cartoon is:
Don't tell me anime isn't a sequence of drawings giving the illusion of motion because it is. Since it is, it is therefore a 'cartoon'.

tl;dr: anime is a cartoon by definition

^ This is the way I see it I8.gif
Wikipedia isn't always reliable anyways

--------------------

+Quote Post
DELETED MEMBER
post 19 Jun 2009, 14:28
Post #41

BANNED
Group Icon

Member No.: 48

Anime are just the name used for Japanese cartoons to diferenciate them from westen cartoons

Its like mangas are japanese comics but are called diferently to know they are from japan, nothing more

The only reason anime has a more broad spectrum of audience compared to the generic westen cartoon its simple because in the west cartoons are looked as something for children, why in japan they have genres of cartoons for all ages

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pickysaurus
post 19 Jun 2009, 14:29
Post #42

Group Icon

QUOTE (Kirasama @ 19 Jun 2009, 11:28) *
Anime are just the name used for Japanese cartoons to diferenciate them from westen cartoons

Its like mangas are japanese comics but are called diferently to know they are from japan, nothing more

The only reason anime has a more broad spectrum of audience compared to the generic westen cartoon its simple because in the west cartoons are looked as something for children, why in japan they have genres of cartoons for all ages

I can accept that. They are cartoons, but the people's attitude to them are different smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
NergiZed
post 19 Jun 2009, 22:40
Post #43

Group Icon

I personally much rather trust a definition dictated by the people than by a bunch of profs at Oxford. For instance, the Oxford dictionary dosen't even have the word 'google' defined, which I find laughable; Dictionary.com has multiple entries for it. Language is a fluid entity, in which the meaning of words are constantly changing and ultimately defined by how they're used in colloquial conversations. I also find it degrading to call a piece like Mulan or Nausica a cartoon.

Anyhow, this thread has has meandered away from the original topic.

Has anyone here ever watched 12 Kingdoms (Juuni Kokki)? It's a wonderful series based partially in Chinese mythology and Taoism, has a fairly deep story and mutiple main characters. Sadly, it was cut short from it's intended 80 episodes down to 45. It's one of my fav series, but it's kinda sad that they never finished it.

My fav character is Raku (The Giant Rat in the image above). Probably the best only giant talking rat character I know.

There's also a petition to get the show back again. Heh, those'll never work but I signed it anyways.

Here's the Wiki

I highly recommend it, if you have nothing to watch right now you should go get it (or nab it online).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Overdose
post 20 Jun 2009, 1:26
Post #44

Hardly Diplomatic
Group Icon

I do dig the art style and character designs.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tenma91
post 20 Jun 2009, 2:14
Post #45

Group Icon

Member No.: 169

I like:

* Outlaw Star
* R.O.D. TV
* Cowboy Beebop
* GunGrave
* Hamtaro

Can't decide on a favorite.

+Quote Post
ΓΛPΤΘΓ
post 20 Jun 2009, 18:02
Post #46

Emotion is available as an additional download
Group Icon

Member No.: 72
Lossless Addict

- Shakugan no Shana 1 & 2
- K-ON
- Code Geass 1 & 2
- Lucky Star
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
- Gundam Seed

Just my favourite list of anime, not in any order.

--------------------

[Sources] ASUS Essence ST, iPod Touch 64GB
[Amplifiers] DIY HA5000, iBasso D2+ Boa
[Headphones] Audio Technica ATH-AD1000PRM, Ultimate Ears TF10 Pro

+Quote Post
Alias
post 20 Jun 2009, 18:18
Post #47

Cool Guy
Group Icon

QUOTE (NergiZed @ 20 Jun 2009, 4:40) *
I personally much rather trust a definition dictated by the people than by a bunch of profs at Oxford. For instance, the Oxford dictionary dosen't even have the word 'google' defined, which I find laughable; Dictionary.com has multiple entries for it. Language is a fluid entity, in which the meaning of words are constantly changing and ultimately defined by how they're used in colloquial conversations. I also find it degrading to call a piece like Mulan or Nausica a cartoon.
Both Dictionary.com and Wiktionary say a very similar thing to what Oxford says.
QUOTE (Wiktionary)
4. (animation) An animated piece of film
QUOTE (Dictionary.com)
3. --> ANIMATED CARTOON
a motion picture consisting of a sequence of drawings, each so slightly different that when filmed and run through a projector the figures seem to move.

No matter what your source is, 'anime' is defined as a cartoon.
That is all.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Shiro
post 20 Jun 2009, 18:28
Post #48

Gamer Girl
Group Icon

Member No.: 182
Friendly Freelancer

Why are you not able to just say 'ok, my opinion, your opinion'?
So, my list (no particular order):
Shakugan No Shana (I,II,M,S-tan)
Code Geass (1,2)
Lucky Star (+OVA)
Zero no Tsukaima
Xenosaga
Clannad
Hellsing Ultimate
-add similar stuff here-

+Quote Post
Alias
post 20 Jun 2009, 18:38
Post #49

Cool Guy
Group Icon

QUOTE (KamuiK @ 21 Jun 2009, 0:28) *
Why are you not able to just say 'ok, my opinion, your opinion'
There's a difference between fact and opinion.
It is a fact that anime is a cartoon, whether you obey the definition is an opinion, however Nergized tried to say the definition was that anime aren't cartoons, and was factually incorrect.

This post has been edited by Alias: 20 Jun 2009, 18:38

--------------------

+Quote Post
Shiro
post 20 Jun 2009, 18:46
Post #50

Gamer Girl
Group Icon

Member No.: 182
Friendly Freelancer

QUOTE (Alias @ 20 Jun 2009, 16:38) *
There's a difference between fact and opinion.
It is a fact that anime is a cartoon, whether you obey the definition is an opinion, however Nergized tried to say the definition was that anime aren't cartoons, and was factually incorrect.

I will not start a flame-war now. I did not mean only you as your person yourself aka Alias alone either, I meant everyone. And just to add, definitions are likely to change when a better way to define something is found. And even though I do not like it, your definition is right. Enough said.
---
I want to add I like Shugo Chara as well.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28 March 2024 - 10:30