IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Shock troopers rocket rifle, What is it exactly?
flyingpancake
post 23 Jun 2013, 10:33
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 9311

I was wondering, is the rocket rifle supposed to be like a assault rifle version of the gyrojet pistol or does the weapon really shoot mini RPG's? Or is it something else all together?

--------------------

''Commander Flyingpancake of 1st syrup to ground Luftwaffle battalion reporting''
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Casojin
post 23 Jun 2013, 14:28
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 222

You can consider it as an advanced gyrojet rifle (with explosive round). I think the concept behind the Shock Trooper is the Space Marine (saw that mentioned some time ago).

--------------------
CASOJIN

+Quote Post
The_Hunter
post 23 Jun 2013, 18:34
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 1
Projects: SWR Productions
Bitch slapping SAGE since 2003

Altho the refference to space marines was not intentional and only something that became obvious afterwards.

As for their weapons they are supposed to be like the gyrojet rounds but they would have a traditional gunpouder shell casing to make sure they go fast right from the start (which was one of the problems of the gyrojet in that it wouldn't travel fast enuogh at short distances to actualy be fatal) which is also why their weapons eject shell casings upon firing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MARS
post 23 Jun 2013, 19:31
Post #4

Group Icon

Group: Project Leader
Member No.: 10

It's a heavy rifle that shoots a 30mm round that is fired by a combination of a conventional propellant charge and a small rocket engine which presumably makes it semi-guided or programmable as well.

+Quote Post
flyingpancake
post 24 Jun 2013, 11:58
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 9311

QUOTE (Casojin @ 23 Jun 2013, 15:28) *
You can consider it as an advanced gyrojet rifle (with explosive round). I think the concept behind the Shock Trooper is the Space Marine (saw that mentioned some time ago).

The space marines from 40k? cool i didn't know that.

This post has been edited by flyingpancake: 24 Jun 2013, 11:59

--------------------

''Commander Flyingpancake of 1st syrup to ground Luftwaffle battalion reporting''

+Quote Post
Serialkillerwhal...
post 25 Jun 2013, 8:46
Post #6

Orcinius Genocidalus
Group Icon

Member No.: 9223
No, you move.

t's a heavy rifle that shoots a 30mm round

Your gonna have to rethink that.

No man, other than probably the venom, could use a weapon that fires bursts of those.

For an idea, Barrett and Browning. use the .50
A 30mm gun would be the GAU-8 Avenger, which is literally capable of cutting tanks in half with raw kinetic force.

30mm in man's hand

This post has been edited by Serialkillerwhale: 25 Jun 2013, 8:53

--------------------

+Quote Post
Arcus2611
post 25 Jun 2013, 10:07
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 9889

QUOTE (Serialkillerwhale @ 25 Jun 2013, 15:46) *
Your gonna have to rethink that.

No man, other than probably the venom, could use a weapon that fires bursts of those.

For an idea, Barrett and Browning. use the .50
A 30mm gun would be the GAU-8 Avenger, which is literally capable of cutting tanks in half with raw kinetic force.

30mm in man's hand

It's a gyrojet rifle; only the small starter charge will produce any recoil; most of the velocity comes from rocket motors while the projectile is in flight.

+Quote Post
Serialkillerwhal...
post 25 Jun 2013, 10:30
Post #8

Orcinius Genocidalus
Group Icon

No, you move.

The starter charge still has to move a massive object, the entirety of a .50 BMG is skinnier than the actual slug of a 30mm.

--------------------

+Quote Post
swVen
post 25 Jun 2013, 13:22
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 9322

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/bhinton/Misc_Pi...etCartridge.jpg

(because i suck at HTML and have no idea how to embed images on forums with correct sizes to fit, etc.)

The propellant pretty much envelops the entire round...

So, we could probably reduce the size by half...I guess?
And as the old saying goes, "it's just a game."

+Quote Post
MARS
post 25 Jun 2013, 13:34
Post #10

Group Icon

The 30mm thing was established several years ago, when the Shock Trooper was originally shown to the public. It's goofy and over the top as all hell, but unfortunately, I can't just retcon such elements out of existence unless there's some legitimate change to the unit or its appearance. I suppose we could operate under the assumption that these rounds are nowhere near that long because they aren't designed like conventional bullets but that still leaves the massive initial recoil. If I had an opportunity, I'd probably change it to a more sensible 12.7mm round, but this simply dates back to a time when we still played things rather loosely when it came to technical details, like those insane dual 100mm cannons on the Han.

+Quote Post
Pepo
post 25 Jun 2013, 14:34
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 9862

Well the russians have some 30 mm machine guns in real life.also a 30 mm round can be make much more smaller.

+Quote Post
Kalga
post 25 Jun 2013, 14:42
Post #12

Writer do his best now and BSing...
Group Icon

From: Somewhere in America (currently, not always that way)
Member No.: 9758
Yes I like Touhou... and the problem is?

QUOTE (MARS @ 25 Jun 2013, 8:34) *
The 30mm thing was established several years ago, when the Shock Trooper was originally shown to the public. It's goofy and over the top as all hell, but unfortunately, I can't just retcon such elements out of existence unless there's some legitimate change to the unit or its appearance. I suppose we could operate under the assumption that these rounds are nowhere near that long because they aren't designed like conventional bullets but that still leaves the massive initial recoil. If I had an opportunity, I'd probably change it to a more sensible 12.7mm round, but this simply dates back to a time when we still played things rather loosely when it came to technical details, like those insane dual 100mm cannons on the Han.

I always thought that the 100mm cannons of the Han are recoilless, so there would be little recoil to knock the Han gunship itself out of the sky whenever it fires its guns...

This post has been edited by Kalga: 25 Jun 2013, 14:43

--------------------
... wait, oh s--t! I've been surrounded by raging modders!

The forum is ripe with the stench of gamers!

+Quote Post
Arcus2611
post 25 Jun 2013, 15:26
Post #13

Group Icon

QUOTE (Serialkillerwhale @ 25 Jun 2013, 17:30) *
The starter charge still has to move a massive object, the entirety of a .50 BMG is skinnier than the actual slug of a 30mm.

The starter charge would only need to make sure that the weapon isn't non-lethal for the first few metres or so. The real life gyrojet reached its maximum velocity (381m/s) by time it reached 18 metres. So I would think the recoil from the starter charge would probably only be a tiny fraction of a normal 30mm round.

+Quote Post
Serialkillerwhal...
post 25 Jun 2013, 20:17
Post #14

Orcinius Genocidalus
Group Icon

No, you move.

I always thought that the 100mm cannons of the Han are recoilless, so there would be little recoil to knock the Han gunship itself out of the sky whenever it fires its guns...

Pretty reasonable, plus the thing's using HE rounds so there's no need for high velocity.

I'll think of something for the 30mm rocket rifle.

How about the thing's comprised of multiple parts, The round is 15mm with another 15mm in it's fins, which are covered by secondar plates which keep the fin safe from the explosion of the bullet inside the rifle chamber.

This post has been edited by Serialkillerwhale: 25 Jun 2013, 20:24

--------------------

+Quote Post
Shiro
post 26 Jun 2013, 19:53
Post #15

Gamer Girl
Group Icon

Group: Legend
Member No.: 182
Friendly Freelancer

I don't think they Shocktroopers use 30mm either, it is more likely they use a much lower calibre. The 30mm is probably Russian mis-information directed at the enemy: "Look, our dudes fire 30mm rifles and are therefore badass, what about yours?" I8.gif8I.gif

+Quote Post
Joe Kidd
post 27 Jun 2013, 1:18
Post #16

Group Icon

Member No.: 9606

How 'bout we say it uses a complx system of vents, springs and servos to minimize the recoil to a barely managable limit, but then again they are shock troopers, they could be cyborgs for all we know

Maybe we need another episode of 'Behind the Bullet'

P.S. If the new Shock Trooper voice that Comr4de mentiobed is the Cyborg Commandos voice from tib sun i woukd laugh and facepalm so hard (in a good way)

--------------------

"You can't kill the Messiah..."

+Quote Post
Serialkillerwhal...
post 27 Jun 2013, 4:19
Post #17

Orcinius Genocidalus
Group Icon

No, you move.

Didn't I already explain it?

The actual missile is 15mm with another 7.5mm in fins. there's a lightweight alloy around it to pad it out so that the explosive energy doesn't fall out the sides.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Shiro
post 27 Jun 2013, 15:40
Post #18

Gamer Girl
Group Icon

Group: Legend
Member No.: 182
Friendly Freelancer

Sounds reasonable enough.

+Quote Post
MARS
post 27 Jun 2013, 16:01
Post #19

Group Icon

Seems like a fair explanation. The entire cartridge would still be 30mm but the actual projectile is only 15mm. Works. Also, it is entirely fair to assume that the projectile doesn't solely rely on kinetic energy. There's always a small spark upon impact which suggests that it's actually some sort of high-explosive/incendiary round which seems entirely appropriate, considering what a mess they make out of infantry and light vehicles.

+Quote Post
Serialkillerwhal...
post 28 Jun 2013, 3:59
Post #20

Orcinius Genocidalus
Group Icon

No, you move.

I'd say an High-Explosive Incendiary, which currently is a 20mmish weapon, it's not beyond aleksandr the graet's capability to make a 15mm one.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pepo
post 28 Jun 2013, 8:54
Post #21

Group Icon

QUOTE (Serialkillerwhale @ 28 Jun 2013, 4:59) *
I'd say an High-Explosive Incendiary, which currently is a 20mmish weapon, it's not beyond aleksandr the graet's capability to make a 15mm one.

i had read the article and it says that they lack of penetracion power against modern armors(and also that it is semi illegal) the shell maybe can have a tamden head:first it penetrates the target and then it burns everyone inside

+Quote Post
MARS
post 28 Jun 2013, 10:32
Post #22

Group Icon

^ Legality is not an issue as long as we're talking about something related to Aleksandr.

+Quote Post
Arcus2611
post 28 Jun 2013, 11:29
Post #23

Group Icon

QUOTE (Pepo @ 28 Jun 2013, 15:54) *
i had read the article and it says that they lack of penetracion power against modern armors(and also that it is semi illegal) the shell maybe can have a tamden head:first it penetrates the target and then it burns everyone inside

The legality or humaneness of any weapon in the RotR-verse is pretty much a moot point, when you consider that the Europeans make liberal use of minefields, and also broke the ban on neutron weapons when they were desperate enough. Oh, the Russians protested at the UN, but I don't remember anything coming out of that. China uses napalm in everything and is also quite trigger happy with its nuclear arsenal. The GLA uses chemical weapons, mines, and their soldiers probably disguise themselves as civilians. Russian shock troopers are apparently quite willing to shoot unarmed ECA medics and commit a bunch of other war crimes, which is why ECA medics now have SMGs. The US seems to be the only faction that gets away scot free, but then again they have the Microwave Tanks which basically boil people alive. It's pretty clear no one gives a shit about the Geneva Conventions or any other protocols or bans on the use of certain weapons.

So I think Russian Shock Troopers using high explosive incendiary rounds is actually pretty tame.

This post has been edited by Arcus2611: 28 Jun 2013, 11:30

+Quote Post
Pepo
post 28 Jun 2013, 12:30
Post #24

Group Icon

i meant that they were semi illegal in rl,not rort.in rotr you have gla with their terrorist,china with their nuclear flame weapons,usa with microwaves,russia with tesla and thermobaric weapons;and finally eca with neutron shells,i think people doesn't care about geneva(and even less after the lose of authority of the un)

+Quote Post
Serialkillerwhal...
post 28 Jun 2013, 13:02
Post #25

Orcinius Genocidalus
Group Icon

No, you move.

UN: We'd do something but the crminals are basically everyone with veto power

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26 May 2024 - 0:40