IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Would Appreciate Some Help! ROTR refuses to run.
jup
post 4 Mar 2012, 4:52
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 9025

hello.

I possess TFD, so i have the necessary 1.o4 patch. I was playing shockwave, but chose to unintstall it ( as well as TFD) before a clean install of just TFD and ROTR Public Beta 1.5

I receive this msg-

'C:\Program Files\EA Games\Command & Conquer Generals Zero Hour/generals.exe' failed (error 2: the system cannot find the file specified)

now-

i have executed a whole clean install-no helping the problem.
i have downloaded ROTR v1.5 from two different locations, so I do not believe it to be corrupt, but correct me if I err.
i have downloaded numerous map packs
after each uninstall, i ran a registry cleaner (CCleaner) to ensure cleanliness.

help-russia looks so good. i want to crush berlin, danzig, london, and venice.

please help.

sincerely, jup.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Claine
post 4 Mar 2012, 5:04
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 8902

QUOTE (jup @ 4 Mar 2012, 11:52) *
hello.

I possess TFD, so i have the necessary 1.o4 patch. I was playing shockwave, but chose to unintstall it ( as well as TFD) before a clean install of just TFD and ROTR Public Beta 1.5

I receive this msg-

'C:\Program Files\EA Games\Command & Conquer Generals Zero Hour/generals.exe' failed (error 2: the system cannot find the file specified)

now-

i have executed a whole clean install-no helping the problem.
i have downloaded ROTR v1.5 from two different locations, so I do not believe it to be corrupt, but correct me if I err.
i have downloaded numerous map packs
after each uninstall, i ran a registry cleaner (CCleaner) to ensure cleanliness.

please help.

sincerely, jup.

do you have all of this
generals and zero hour and patch 1.04?

This post has been edited by Claine: 4 Mar 2012, 5:04

--------------------

+Quote Post
jup
post 4 Mar 2012, 5:05
Post #3

Group Icon

QUOTE (Claine @ 3 Mar 2012, 22:04) *
do you have all of this
generals and zero hour and patch 1.04?

yes

+Quote Post
Claine
post 4 Mar 2012, 5:10
Post #4

Group Icon

make a fresh install (delete everything)

1. Generals Zero Hour
2. Generals Zero Hour Patch 1.04
3. ROTR 1.5
4. 0ROTRMusic

Installation: Generals Zero Hour

1.) Generals & Generals Zero Hour must be in this location
C:/EA Games/Command & Conquer Generals Zero Hour

2.) Patch it to 1.04

Installation: ROTR 1.5

1.) when you install ROTR 1.5 it must be in the same path of Zero Hour

After you do that follow this on your PC

Start
All Programs
Rise Of The Reds Beta 1.5
Rise Of The Reds Beta (Quickstart Mode) right click send to desktop (create a shortcut) that's all,,

0ROTRMusic extract it and copy past 0ROTRMusic.BIG in to

that's all play it,, wink.gif

This post has been edited by Claine: 4 Mar 2012, 5:12

--------------------

+Quote Post
jup
post 4 Mar 2012, 5:47
Post #5

Group Icon

QUOTE (Claine @ 3 Mar 2012, 22:10) *
make a fresh install (delete everything)

1. Generals Zero Hour
2. Generals Zero Hour Patch 1.04
3. ROTR 1.5
4. 0ROTRMusic

Installation: Generals Zero Hour

1.) Generals & Generals Zero Hour must be in this location

2.) Patch it to 1.04

Installation: ROTR 1.5

1.) when you install ROTR 1.5 it must be in the same path of Zero Hour

After you do that follow this on your PC

Start
All Programs
Rise Of The Reds Beta 1.5
Rise Of The Reds Beta (Quickstart Mode) right click send to desktop (create a shortcut) that's all,,

0ROTRMusic extract it and copy past 0ROTRMusic.BIG in to

that's all play it,, wink.gif

i appreciate your punctuality, and clear language. however, they worked to no avail. i performed a fresh install on everything. TFD is patched to 1.04 already...when i installed TFD, i specified that both Generals and Zero Hour should go to c:\program files\ea games\Command & conquer Generals zero hour...could this have something to do with the fact that data is stored in the 'programs files,' as well as in my documents (such as map packs and skirmish info)?

i am at a loss. i know not so much about computers, but i can read and follow simple directions. i am in your debt, and ask of you more.

what must i do?

+Quote Post
jup
post 4 Mar 2012, 5:50
Post #6

Group Icon

QUOTE (jup @ 3 Mar 2012, 22:47) *
i appreciate your punctuality, and clear language. however, they worked to no avail. i performed a fresh install on everything. TFD is patched to 1.04 already...when i installed TFD, i specified that both Generals and Zero Hour should go to c:\program files\ea games\Command & conquer Generals zero hour...could this have something to do with the fact that data is stored in the 'programs files,' as well as in my documents (such as map packs and skirmish info)?

i am at a loss. i know not so much about computers, but i can read and follow simple directions. i am in your debt, and ask of you more.

what must i do?

oh, and i seacrhed for 'generals.exe'-the only place that such a file exists is under c:\windows\prefetch\generals.exe.

is this helpful?

+Quote Post
Claine
post 4 Mar 2012, 6:01
Post #7

Group Icon

QUOTE (jup @ 4 Mar 2012, 12:50) *
oh, and i seacrhed for 'generals.exe'-the only place that such a file exists is under c:\windows\prefetch\generals.exe.

is this helpful?

what problem specific you have?

--------------------

+Quote Post
jup
post 4 Mar 2012, 6:03
Post #8

Group Icon

QUOTE (Claine @ 3 Mar 2012, 23:01) *
what problem specific you have?

after following your directions, i received this message-

'C:\Program Files\EA Games\Command & Conquer Generals Zero Hour\generals.exe' failed (error 2: the system cannot find the file specified)

+Quote Post
Claine
post 4 Mar 2012, 6:06
Post #9

Group Icon

QUOTE (jup @ 4 Mar 2012, 13:03) *
after following your directions, i received this message-

'C:\Program Files\EA Games\Command & Conquer Generals Zero Hour\generals.exe' failed (error 2: the system cannot find the file specified)

when you install the Generals & Zero hour try not to install to program files as well as the ROTR's

install it in to C:\EA Games\Command & Conquer Generals Zero Hour\

do not follow this C:\Program Files\EA Games\Command & Conquer Generals Zero Hour\

This post has been edited by Claine: 4 Mar 2012, 6:13

--------------------

+Quote Post
jup
post 4 Mar 2012, 6:12
Post #10

Group Icon

QUOTE (Claine @ 3 Mar 2012, 23:06) *
when you install the Generals & Zero hour try not to install to program files as well as the ROTR's

install it in to C

i will try this and get back to you in the morning, for i must sleep. thank you for your help so far. i look forward to conversing with you more.

+Quote Post
Claine
post 4 Mar 2012, 6:16
Post #11

Group Icon

QUOTE (jup @ 4 Mar 2012, 13:12) *
i will try this and get back to you in the morning, for i must sleep. thank you for your help so far. i look forward to conversing with you more.

so i guess sleep well and sweet dreams smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pickysaurus
post 4 Mar 2012, 11:46
Post #12

Officer of the European Continental Army
Group Icon

Member No.: 71
Community Manager at Nexus Mods

Installing outside the program files directory will probably do it my game is installed at C:\Games

Seems to work in Windows 7

--------------------

+Quote Post
MARS
post 4 Mar 2012, 11:51
Post #13

Group Icon

Group: Project Leader
Member No.: 10

QUOTE (jup @ 4 Mar 2012, 4:52) *

I can see the rationale behind Berlin and London, but...why would you want to crush Gdansk/Danzig of all places? huh.gif

+Quote Post
jup
post 4 Mar 2012, 16:57
Post #14

Group Icon

QUOTE (MARS @ 4 Mar 2012, 4:51) *
I can see the rationale behind Berlin and London, but...why would you want to crush Gdansk/Danzig of all places? huh.gif

[/indent]essentially, as clauswitz would say, armed conflict is an extension of the body politik, a tool of state-craft, and unfixed in terms of execution, outcome, and perception. jominis attempt to situate the conflict of arms in a regulated, almost geometrical system of patterns and fixed possibilities is quaint, but ultimately fails-war becomes its' own impetus. war is a force that gives us meaning. talking of war in dialectics is dreamy, but not nearly as effective as blitzkrieg.

how so? well, the human condition is, at its most basic foundations, a series of comparative-values impressed upon prevailing psychological and physical conditions; id est, "us" vs "them". one of the first steps any nation or force takes in the vanguard of war is the dehumanization of the enemy. If one takes away the human qualities mutually shared by opposing sides, the prosecution of the enemy becomes far more palatable to the public (body politik) at large. the Germans became the "huns." The Russians, the "reds."such is the charge of propaganda. war is won by harnessing will to imagination-concepts of "right" and "wrong" therein lose any fixed, morally unassailable meaning.

furthermore, this is just one of many western approach-perceptions! one can think upon much more, such as the chinese executions of war, explicated by Sun Tzu. his ideas are still looked to for war-wisdom this day, but i am still learning on tzu. I have read the Art of War five times and still it is so much mystery to me.

only winners are right. losers, as we have seen, are only wrong. only winners have heros. losers produce only war-criminals. regardless of his desire for the life of simple soldiering, had he not been coerced into suicide, even rommel would have been tried at nuremburg (which was a farcical exercise in justice anyways...). war produces tangible and intangible atrocities, no one is guilt-free. when one speaks of holocaust, genocide, ethnic cleansing, etc...only winners speak of it, like they know it...and are above such heinous manifestations of human experience. yet, who thinks of the word "holocaust" and brings to their mind native americans? it is estimated that over 40 million where killed: by diseases, war, starvation...is this too not holocaust? but we have, as a culture, inexorably linked the word "holocaust" to the extermination of 6+ million jews. additionally, that leaves in shadow the 6+ million more dead: christains, homosexuals, gypsys, etc. why? the answers are not so easy to reveal. one must dig.

we need something to believe in-war fulfills both primal and intellectual instincts, qualifying suspicions of being, quantifying the prides of awareness. humans will fight about anything. at the simple philosophical core, we cannot say for certain whether or not we even exist-what better way to quell such a metaphysical horror than by making another bleed...for the "right" reasons?

[indent]
and it is so easy for might to make right. it is a play of actions repeated throughout the history of humanity.

as for my targets...

berlin is simple:industrial magnitude and symbolic prowess. modern day germany is an economic and military powerhouse. bring her to her knees, and the low countries will fall in line. but be careful-cause as little infrastructural damage as possible.

lodon too is simple: symbolic majesty..."We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender..." crush this image. offer up a sacrifice of lodon. make this city a bleeding chalice from which overflows the anguish and woe of all her children-and let it stand as an example for such aggravated arrogance.

danzig is the most simple: a strategic cold-water port giving access to the english channel and the baltic sea/north sea. from this point, a two-fronted war can be opened on finland, sweden, and norway-one by sea, one by land.

so...

I followed Claines instructions to the letter, and still they did not work.
on a hunch, I cleared everything and performed a fresh install. I installed C&C G-ZH to

C:\EA Games\Command & Conquer Generals Zero Hour\

Now, when I placed ROTR within this folder, still it would not work. So after re-uninstalling it, I installed it to:

C:\EA Games\Command & Conquer Generals Zero Hour\Command & Conquer™ Generals Zero Hour

and behold! success...in a way of ways.

while ROTR would run from quickstart mode, and bring me to the game and skirmish menus, the end of my problems have not ended.

withing the skirmish menu, i can only select from USA, RUSSIA, or CHINA-no GLA or any of the specific generals listed in the readme. also, when i hit the play game button, the game crashes. i do not think it to be a hardware problem-i play shockwave on this machine (Dell E1505 running XP home edition).

what have i done or failed to do
?

+Quote Post
SpiralSpectre
post 4 Mar 2012, 17:08
Post #15

Group Icon

Member No.: 8905
Loves guessing games

QUOTE (jup @ 4 Mar 2012, 21:57) *
so...

I followed Claines instructions to the letter, and still they did not work.
on a hunch, I cleared everything and performed a fresh install. I installed C&C G-ZH to

C:\EA Games\Command & Conquer Generals Zero Hour\

Now, when I placed ROTR within this folder, still it would not work. So after re-uninstalling it, I installed it to:

C:\EA Games\Command & Conquer Generals Zero Hour\Command & Conquer™ Generals Zero Hour

and behold! success...in a way of ways.

while ROTR would run from quickstart mode, and bring me to the game and skirmish menus, the end of my problems have not ended.

withing the skirmish menu, i can only select from USA, RUSSIA, or CHINA-no GLA or any of the specific generals listed in the readme. also, when i hit the play game button, the game crashes. i do not think it to be a hardware problem-i play shockwave on this machine (Dell E1505 running XP home edition).

what have i done or failed to do
?

What have you done wrong? You haven't read the readme completely. The current version (1.5 beta) only has the US, China and Ruskies. The GLA will come in the coming release and ECA will come in the release after that one. The listed generals will follow in 2.0 release.

BTW first make plans on how you would reach London before thinking about how you would burn it. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
jup
post 4 Mar 2012, 17:17
Post #16

Group Icon

QUOTE (SpiralSpectre @ 4 Mar 2012, 10:08) *
What have you done wrong? You haven't read the readme completely. The current version (1.5 beta) only has the US, China and Ruskies. The GLA will come in the coming release and ECA will come in the release after that one. The listed generals will follow in 2.0 release.

BTW first make plans on how you would reach London before thinking about how you would burn it. rolleyes.gif

thank you for the qualifications...i have been sorting through so much info on this i have erred in my reading of the texts!

as for taking lodon, i need not take it to burn it. once danzig is taken, and the high-scandanavian countries contained, i would starve her out. assuming america minds her business (fat chance...) i would impose an unrestricted naval blockade (from which air power would cordon off the sky in an inverted-defense only strategy) and reduce the isles in all their capacities via munitions from naval craft...probably BM submarines. and perhaps i would insert commando and teams to arm partisans and foment rebellion. a slow death is in order. i should not like to rush-why waste resources in siege when upon victory, id not have the resources left to exploit my spoils, indeed if any spoils were left at all?

+Quote Post
Claine
post 4 Mar 2012, 17:30
Post #17

Group Icon

any way good morning jup make sure you had breakfast

try this http://forums.swr-productions.com/index.php?showtopic=1506

This post has been edited by Claine: 4 Mar 2012, 17:38

--------------------

+Quote Post
SpiralSpectre
post 4 Mar 2012, 17:31
Post #18

Group Icon

Member No.: 8905
Loves guessing games

QUOTE (jup @ 4 Mar 2012, 22:17) *
as for taking lodon, i need not take it to burn it. once danzig is taken, and the high-scandanavian countries contained, i would starve her out. assuming america minds her business (fat chance...) i would impose an unrestricted naval blockade (from which air power would cordon off the sky in an inverted-defense only strategy) and reduce the isles in all their capacities via munitions from naval craft...probably BM submarines. and perhaps i would insert commando and teams to arm partisans and foment rebellion. a slow death is in order. i should not like to rush-why waste resources in siege when upon victory, id not have the resources left to exploit my spoils, indeed if any spoils were left at all?

I kinda doubt you'll have resources left to carry out such a lengthy process...

Ofc as far as RotR universe is concerned, the US shouldn't be your only headache. You see, it's very, very likely that as soon as the Ruskies move deeper into Europe and their army gets stretched a bit thin, China will sneak up on Russia through the backdoor. They'll get their revenge, they'll get Russian land and resources, they'll receive huge global influence, and to top it up they'll get some fancy title like "liberators of the new free world". Overall - things will get messy before you even reach the Brits.

Believe me, those sneaky li'lle bastards know what they want and how they would get it. smile.gif

+Quote Post
jup
post 4 Mar 2012, 17:39
Post #19

Group Icon

QUOTE (Claine @ 4 Mar 2012, 10:30) *
any way good morning jup make sure you had lunch

try this http://forums.swr-productions.com/index.php?showtopic=1506

i have read this guide, and i am confused as to what exactly i need to do. i am not the most literate when it comes to this type of file management...do i start on page six, under the 'updating rise of the reds'?

+Quote Post
jup
post 4 Mar 2012, 17:46
Post #20

Group Icon

QUOTE (jup @ 4 Mar 2012, 10:39) *
i have read this guide, and i am confused as to what exactly i need to do. i am not the most literate when it comes to this type of file management...do i start on page six, under the 'updating rise of the reds'?

i have re-read this file (ROTR installation guide) and it does not seem to cover my problem. actually, i think i even got updating ROTR wrong...there is no such section...sheesh, i am poor at this.

+Quote Post
Claine
post 4 Mar 2012, 17:48
Post #21

Group Icon

QUOTE (jup @ 5 Mar 2012, 0:39) *

okay relax im just trying to help you as long as i can

do you have any other mod install already?
how do you make fresh install are you sure you deleted everything in all possible location?

--------------------

+Quote Post
jup
post 4 Mar 2012, 17:54
Post #22

Group Icon

QUOTE (Claine @ 4 Mar 2012, 10:48) *
okay relax im just trying to help you as long as i can

do you have any other mod install already?
how do you make fresh install are you sure you deleted everything in all possible location?

and i thank you. i am not frustrated-just curious as to my deficiencies.

no other mods are installed-i took out shock wave first and foremost as a precaution.
my uninstalling procedure is as follows:

uninstall ROTR via its included uninstall tool
uninstall TFD via control panels add/remove software option
run CCleaner to remove registry errors.

however, upon installation of TFD, at any point, Generals and Generals Zero hour data is stored in the 'my documents' file. CCleaner does not remove these data files. i have not deleted this because it includes map packs and saved games, and i am unsure as to whether or not this would permanently damage a reinstall of TFD. running CCleaner does not remove these data files.

+Quote Post
Claine
post 4 Mar 2012, 18:01
Post #23

Group Icon

QUOTE (jup @ 5 Mar 2012, 0:54) *
and i thank you. i am not frustrated-just curious as to my deficiencies.

no other mods are installed-i took out shock wave first and foremost as a precaution.
my uninstalling procedure is as follows:

uninstall ROTR via its included uninstall tool
uninstall TFD via control panels add/remove software option
run CCleaner to remove registry errors.

however, upon installation of TFD, at any point, Generals and Generals Zero hour data is stored in the 'my documents' file. CCleaner does not remove these data files. i have not deleted this because it includes map packs and saved games, and i am unsure as to whether or not this would permanently damage a reinstall of TFD. running CCleaner does not remove these data files.

okay where location did you install generals and zero hour? and did you test it first if its working? before you install the awesome mod?

--------------------

+Quote Post
jup
post 4 Mar 2012, 18:13
Post #24

Group Icon

QUOTE (Claine @ 4 Mar 2012, 11:01) *
okay where location did you install generals and zero hour? and did you test it first if its working? before you install the awesome mod?

i installed generals and generals zh to:

C:\EA Games\Command & Conquer Generals Zero Hour

i then tested this by entering a skirmish, and it does indeed work.

upon installing ROTR to this file, it would not launch and i received the same 'system cannot find specified file (generals.exe)' message. on a hunch i uninstalled then reinstalled ROTR to:

upon launching ROTR via a desktop short cut i created the mod worked, bringing me to the in game menu. from here i proceeded to set up a skirmish. however, upon launching the skirmish, the game crashes. this is current point i am at.

+Quote Post
Claine
post 4 Mar 2012, 18:26
Post #25

Group Icon

QUOTE (jup @ 5 Mar 2012, 1:13) *
i installed generals and generals zh to:

C:\EA Games\Command & Conquer Generals Zero Hour

i then tested this by entering a skirmish, and it does indeed work.

upon installing ROTR to this file, it would not launch and i received the same 'system cannot find specified file (generals.exe)' message. on a hunch i uninstalled then reinstalled ROTR to:

upon launching ROTR via a desktop short cut i created the mod worked, bringing me to the in game menu. from here i proceeded to set up a skirmish. however, upon launching the skirmish, the game crashes. this is current point i am at.

are you sure your PC is meet the minimum spec?

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6 May 2024 - 15:33