Reply to this topicStart new topic
What do you guys do with infantry?
ubermensche
post 6 Jan 2013, 16:34
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 9573

This is something that is there since vanilla generals: infantry has low combat value. They have low firepower and are easily killable. Basically everything that infantry can do vehicles can do better. I pretty much only use infantry to capture buildings and that's it.

So what do you guys think?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rudelord
post 6 Jan 2013, 16:39
Post #2

Get dunked
Group Icon

Member No.: 9095

Throw them in a building and use them to hold the line while my tanks push up.

+Quote Post
Knjaz.
post 6 Jan 2013, 16:42
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: Tester
Member No.: 9155

QUOTE (ubermensche @ 6 Jan 2013, 17:34) *
This is something that is there since vanilla generals: infantry has low combat value. They have low firepower and are easily killable. Basically everything that infantry can do vehicles can do better. I pretty much only use infantry to capture buildings and that's it.

You kiddin' me? Alot of infantry out there got a way higher cost/firepower ratio, than most tanks.
Their fragility is their main weakness.

+Quote Post
(USA)Bruce
post 6 Jan 2013, 17:51
Post #4

The Forums American Hotshot Flyboy
Group Icon

From: The foundation of modern freedom and Liberty;United States of America.
Member No.: 9500

QUOTE (ubermensche @ 6 Jan 2013, 17:34) *

We already disscusssed this here;

*Yawns* Repost

But basicly every side has its own Infantry usage precentages.....

If you dont use comandos your missing a finger,
Gla is 40% Infantry no matter how much people hate it...Try this; One GLA insurrection vs any china army without air or artilary/napalm weapons under the cost of 4000 dollrs
The angry mob is.....AMAZING
For china its 30% along with hackers having a good role Not to mention volenteer squads
ECA Infantry fight HARDER while garrisoned...unlike the other factions
Russian Infantry is made to be cheap and massly produced...Without russian Infantry,one burton can destroy you
USA is the most versitle faction with 25% need of Infantry,

Infantry is never useless and to be frank as an airforce loving guy I hate tanks myself....They are too slow and vunrable IMO, but you can never defeat anyone with one branch of firepower you need to combine arms so thats why I prefer light humvees, paradrops and so on and so forth

In generals and the CNC universe a simple rifleman can take about 10 tank shell hits.....That doesnt make them weak
What does however is that they can be crushed under tank threads......but some infantry cant be run over;

Think about it....A single seal going into a chineee base with 30hopper tanks defending it.....Thats gona hurt
You have to use every unit to its last drop, Sure for 1scorpion you can hold more tanks in your tunnels (Its 800 cost if I rememmber right but with upgrades etc lets presume its generally 900)

But you cant kill 3 battlemasters with a single scorpion, but you can on the other side use 3 rpg troopers with the demo ability (Along with camoflauge) to throw them under the tanks and kill them all.

You gotta know thier secondary abilities and what they are worth....

personally I love redguards and spaming them early game is better then a volenteer squad...Infantry is dirt cheap and great when massed

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alexander95
post 6 Jan 2013, 18:36
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 9554

I use infantry more offten than vechiles, i like shoch tropers the most ant they are the backbore of my army i usualy use them allone vs GLA, but vs USA/PRC/PF i mix them with iglas...as USA i allways go for seals and snipers GP(cant remember the exact name)...generaly i like infantry rushes and thats why i build 3-5 baracks cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pickysaurus
post 6 Jan 2013, 18:45
Post #6

Officer of the European Continental Army
Group Icon

Member No.: 71
Community Manager at Nexus Mods

"Let's go capture some buildings!'

--------------------

+Quote Post
Joe Kidd
post 6 Jan 2013, 19:14
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 9606

Don't know about you but Shock troopers provide lots of firepower, especially when garrisoned, and they can disable stuff, for only $600 apiece.

--------------------

"You can't kill the Messiah..."

+Quote Post
GeneralCamo
post 6 Jan 2013, 19:23
Post #8

That person
Group Icon

Group: Project Leader
Member No.: 417
C&C ShockWave Co-Leader

Little known fact about shock troopers: You can't run them over!

+Quote Post
ArsenalXA4
post 6 Jan 2013, 19:47
Post #9

The harbinger of bad decisions
Group Icon

Member No.: 9056

Missile Defenders are integrated into my Armored Cavalry Regiment strategies. I just load them into the Brads that I have as part of the regiment and, when needed, order them out to provide fire support to both the tanks and to the Chaparrals.

China actually has the best Combined Force of Arms use for the infantry, so I have loads of Red Guards, Volunteer Squads, and Tank Hunters in concert with Battlemasters, Tank Hoppers, Overlords, Troop Crawlers, the occasional Inferno Cannon, and the even rarer Han gunship or Propaganda Airship. Granted casualties are always high among the leg infantry.

--------------------

"I went to Afghanistan and all I got was Shrapnel!"
-Anonymous

+Quote Post
Alex1guy
post 6 Jan 2013, 20:09
Post #10

The Whimsical Story Teller
Group Icon

Member No.: 9123

A bunch of Red Guard and Bunch of Tank hunters are good for supporting early tank rushes, if only to provide shields.

--------------------
"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat" -Sun Tzu

+Quote Post
z741
post 6 Jan 2013, 21:46
Post #11

Stealth Master
Group Icon

Member No.: 8990

honestly i dont see much use for infantry. only good for capturing buildings. i prefer a mass armored assault backed up by CAS choppers. i dont garrison much either. they can die pretty easily. i weight pros and cons and it also depends on the map.

i sure miss the auroras though

--------------------

+Quote Post
(USA)Bruce
post 6 Jan 2013, 22:01
Post #12

The Forums American Hotshot Flyboy
Group Icon

From: The foundation of modern freedom and Liberty;United States of America.
Member No.: 9500

QUOTE (z741 @ 6 Jan 2013, 22:46) *
honestly i dont see much use for infantry. only good for capturing buildings. i prefer a mass armored assault backed up by CAS choppers. i dont garrison much either. they can die pretty easily. i weight pros and cons and it also depends on the map.

i sure miss the auroras though

They will return and according to rumors its going to be the "manticore" and "pandora" of the USAF general.....

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alexander95
post 6 Jan 2013, 22:13
Post #13

Group Icon

Member No.: 9554

QUOTE ((USA)Bruce @ 6 Jan 2013, 22:01) *
They will return and according to rumors its going to be the "manticore" and "pandora" of the USAF general.....

Auroras are going to have build limit? mellow.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
RocketMan
post 6 Jan 2013, 23:20
Post #14

The Observer
Group Icon

Member No.: 341
Silent, but deadly SWR projects observer

My favorite defense tactic with MDs: put one or more in laser lock mode in different fire bases and a bunch of them in the back within the ability range, and watch the fire works. They'll blow away tanks at a veery far range quickly and effectively, won't attack infantry by default, and you'll have three slots available for other infantry. Quite deadly vs. vehicles the way I see it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
swVen
post 6 Jan 2013, 23:29
Post #15

Group Icon

Member No.: 9322

QUOTE (Alexander95 @ 6 Jan 2013, 16:13) *

I have a feeling the Auroras won't have the "build one". More probably only, "restricted to one airfield". That's all speculation.

Back to the thread.
Because I often play as the support, rarely play 1v1 matches, my style of using infantry is basically like Aggressive turtle, and often modified to suit the map, but normally, my system is to have at least 5 AT and 3 Anti-Infantry transported to garrisons. If there's a defensive point needed to be exploited, I like to be able to transport my infantry to quickly garrison, and hit an enemy rush or patrol. Wait a few seconds for the fog of war to blanket on the enemy's screen, and under the cover, shift my infantry back into the transports.

Very fun with the Fennek, and I tended to have two on reserve in my base to transport a few regular infantry with a med.commando and Gustav.
It's a fun harass.

For the chinese, Troop Crawlers definitely help with the blob assaults, and like the previous posters, I do adopt them to support my combined arms.

+Quote Post
Serialkillerwhal...
post 7 Jan 2013, 0:02
Post #16

Orcinius Genocidalus
Group Icon

Member No.: 9223
No, you move.

Pathfinders are absolutely priceless, that bioncular thingy ability + Long range tomahawks = ARGABLARGRAEG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GDIZOCOM
post 7 Jan 2013, 1:00
Post #17

Level 17.4
Group Icon

Member No.: 131
Immaturity Incarnate

QUOTE (Alexander95 @ 6 Jan 2013, 22:13) *

The SWR team does not implement build limits on units in their mods.

Anyways, I use infantry in two ways. Let them go inside a building and watch them tear everything apart or fire support for my backdoor assaults. And the most obvious capture buildings 8I.gif

Some infantry I use to clear shroud for artillery (Binoculars)

--------------------

+Quote Post
ubermensche
post 7 Jan 2013, 2:56
Post #18

Group Icon

Member No.: 9573

QUOTE (GDIZOCOM @ 6 Jan 2013, 19:00) *
The SWR team does not implement build limits on units in their mods.

Yes they do. Manticore and Pandora.

Anyways back to infantry. I'm not saying that ALL infantry is obsolete. Hackers for one are very important for China 'cause they generate China's secondary economy.

I guess infantry is quite useful in urban areas where they can garrison in one building after another but on the other hand they are asily killable by anti-garrison weapons. And they are quite useless in open terrain, except for snipers and other stealthed units.

Level 3 VDV is quite useful too, as it can form a huge tidal wave that come crashing down on the enemy's flank or to secure an area quickly. But they, like all other units, are way too vulnerable to artillery.

So to sum it up:
Pros:
-Cheap
-Quick to build
-Good when garrisoned
-Can capture buildings

Cons:
-Fragile
-Can be crushed
-Slow moving
-Useless in open terrain

+Quote Post
Casojin
post 7 Jan 2013, 3:12
Post #19

Group Icon

Member No.: 222

Mechanized Infantry is also a good tactic if you're good at micro. Your vehicles would shield the weak infantry from incoming attack while those men provide fire-support.

--------------------
CASOJIN

+Quote Post
z741
post 7 Jan 2013, 4:31
Post #20

Stealth Master
Group Icon

Member No.: 8990

true in VZH i used to play as airforce with the combat chinooks. 2 with LAWs and one with 4 flashbangs and 4 snipers. that was really the only time id use infantry

oh forgot id also use helices as the same way if i captured a china CC >:D

This post has been edited by z741: 7 Jan 2013, 4:33

--------------------

+Quote Post
BLGMGL
post 7 Jan 2013, 14:32
Post #21

Group Icon

Member No.: 500

I love using infantry. They're cheap and effective (given that enemy is not using much of artillery). Large enough group of combined AT & anti-infantry (or Shock Troopers in case of Russia) can finish off the enemy or severely weaken the enemy. screwyou.gif

Especially spec ops troops such as VDV, Seals, Pathfinders, ECA Commandoes are devastating when you know where and when to use them.

This post has been edited by blgmgl: 7 Jan 2013, 14:32

+Quote Post
X1Destroy
post 17 Jan 2013, 14:35
Post #22

Guardsman
Group Icon

Member No.: 9379
Armageddon is here..............

Infantry is your best friend if you are China biggrin.gif Silly Nationalists with bolt action rifles can destroy a mighty Sentinel when used in groups biggrin.gif

--------------------
We Die Standing.

+Quote Post
Alex1guy
post 18 Jan 2013, 5:25
Post #23

The Whimsical Story Teller
Group Icon

Member No.: 9123

I love the infantry. Granted I play as China. I fand a blob of tank hunters and red gaurd can hold off early game rushes. I LOVE the volunteer squads, granted I cannot understand what they are saying tongue.gif

--------------------
"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat" -Sun Tzu

+Quote Post
CoLT
post 18 Jan 2013, 5:59
Post #24

C&C:Reichsmarsch Mod Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 9264

Infantry are versatile and I think that's the main bulk of their strength. For their price, they can deal a lot of damage when used properly. Obviously a single ranger isn't going to stop a tank. But then if you garrison said ranger...

It's down to your individual strat. Personally, I've used missile defender squads and red guards in different matches to deal a lot of damage to enemy vehicles.

Anyway if you really like infantry, you'll like C&C: Reichsmarsch /shameless advert

But on a serious note, the only thing I find game breaking is when a single vehicle can make infantry completely useless, either with building clearing weapons or with serious anti-inf power. But since that doesn't really happen so much in Rotr, it's good smile.gif

This post has been edited by CoLT: 18 Jan 2013, 6:01

--------------------

Visit our ModDB

+Quote Post
Destiny
post 18 Jan 2013, 10:05
Post #25

Twintails are eternal!
Group Icon

Member No.: 74
Lurk, cleaned and mounted.

QUOTE (CoLT @ 18 Jan 2013, 12:59) *
But on a serious note, the only thing I find game breaking is when a single vehicle can make infantry completely useless, either with building clearing weapons or with serious anti-inf power. But since that doesn't really happen so much in Rotr, it's good smile.gif

Meet the Microwave Tank.
Meet the Toxin Tractor.
Meet the Buratino.
Meet...the Dragon Tank.

(Alternatively - Bunkster Nighthawk, Frogfoot, the Chinese napalm MiG bomber whatwasitsnameagain)

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24 May 2024 - 10:13