Rise of the Reds Update: Lightning from a Cloudless Sky
Nemanja
post 29 Apr 2012, 1:54
Post #51

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 9081

QUOTE (DerKrieger @ 29 Apr 2012, 2:47) *
Well, apparently the Interceptor is armed with twin 20mm cannons. Those sound a lot like the guns on the F-5E Tiger II.

Yeah . . . . . Cool ! F-5 from Iranian Scrapyard !
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SpiralSpectre
post 29 Apr 2012, 4:55
Post #52

Group Icon

Member No.: 8905
Loves guessing games

^Maybe it would be better if we don't directly associate a real life country with the GLA.
QUOTE (simeon5541 @ 29 Apr 2012, 4:27) *
But you are unconventional militia and you should feel like them while you play with them,so sneaky bastard tactics are essential.
Plus,what you would unlock with GLA,Rebel Ambush ? Anthrax Bomb ? All GLA General Powers are pretty weak compared to counterparts so this kind of unlocks aren't bad idea.

Firstly GLA gen powers being pretty week compared to other factions is your opinion, others might not agree with you. Secondly there is little logic in commenting on GLA gen powers before knowing all the gen powers RotR GLA is gonna have.

+Quote Post
MARS
post 29 Apr 2012, 8:13
Post #53

Group Icon

Group: Project Leader
Member No.: 10

QUOTE (Anubis @ 28 Apr 2012, 23:31) *
Epic designs. I must say i really like this. How ever there are a few things i find lacking.

First of all you said this can be considered the GLA T3 AA, but it was also you who said that this is just a choice, and the player can still chose to go pure non-air gla. So this basicly leaves GLA without an actual T3 AA. For what i could count so far they have the quad for T1 and the ural for T2. And they MIGHT get a semi T3 AA if they spend shit tons of highly important general points. So this imo leaves them with a huge weaknes.

Second - this is a rank 3 unlock. But it also says there that at first the heli is armed with some sort of unguided rockets and the interceptor just with guns. Then you have to spend another rank point to unlock addional weapons for each. With a limit of 1 airfield - 2 interceptors and a helicopter that at first sounds prety much like just a flying RPG dude ( and i dunno if without the weapon upg it can target air ) it's not much to offer. Hell you need to general points to unlock a cvasi air fleet and a semi T3 AA.

Third - Isn't 2 general points a bit to much to unlock something that is already extremly limited by default. I mean sure ... 1 point could be cool, but 2 points. And to make it even worse those 2 abilities you said that come with this require a 3rd point, which basicly requires the other 2 unlocks. For some reason this to me looks kinda overstreched and offers way to little in return.

I'll wait and see, but from all the info you gived us this far, i see these 3 points as problems imo.

Okay, first, the Interceptor is only -kind of- like their T3 AA due to the fact that it's a jet fighter than can engage and destroy other planes. In the sense of gameplay roles, this is the closest thing the GLA has to a Raptor, Berkut or Flak MiG, which it can still destroy, albeit at a disadvantage. But then again, it isn't quite the same by virtue of being a lot more limited in regards to how you can access it. The Stinger Truck on the other hand is a lot more powerful than you would expect. It's stealthed and packs significantly more punch than those puny Stinger Sites, making it somewhat akin to a Tier 2.5 defence. So yes, strictly speaking, the GLA does not have a proper T3 unit that wtfpwns other air units, but their lesser AA units are somewhat more effective by comparison, including the likes of Tunnel Defenders, Dushkas, Stinger Sites, Quad Cannons, Stinger Trucks, Jarmen's ability and now the air force. In addition, one could argue that GLA structures are already better protected against aerial attacks, considering the hole-mechanic and the possibility of spreading them across the map more effectively.

Second, it is true that we are still considering options to calibrate the air force, but this is simply the system we have in place right now, at the time we presented it. All I can tell you is that the air force fits quite nicely into its dedicated niche. Here's how the weapons work: Once you first unlock them, Interceptors are armed with -very- powerful auto-cannons that kill infantry instantly along a straight path and cause notable damage to light vehicles if unchecked. The Gazelle on the other hand has general purpose rockets that come in quick volleys. Once you unlock the second power, you can manually upgrade Interceptors with rockets which makes them a bit more effective against vehicles and allows for a much more immediate harassment of dozers, supply units, thin-skinned artillery, etc. Both the cannon and rocket loadouts can be fired at air units. The Gazelle on the other hand receives actual guided missiles that perform more effectively against vehicles and can also be used against other air units, most prominently helicopters. Consider the fact that only Cobras and upgraded Hinds have any immediate counter for this. This, coupled with the fact that both units come at a price of merely 800$ makes every loss easily replaceable and like I said eariler: You can forego air units entirely without suffering a major disadvantage in the regards to AA, but if you decide in favour of them, you can pick the ones that you actually want and use them to a notable advantage.

Third, I admit that we also did this partly because we still needed a three level unlock for the GLA and didn't want to have some generic damaging ability. Instead, we went for something that is distinct to the GLA and let me stress this again: You haven't been able to try this air force yet. The entire system with the unlocks, the units and the ability works a lot better in-game than you may expect right now and those two abilities are definitely worth it as well. One of them essentially gives you free cash which you could also gift to an ally and the other one delivers precise, immediate destruction with the potential of annihilating several enemy units over an unspecified period of time while being completely fire-and-forget.

Wow, now that's some serious TL;DR

+Quote Post
Rudelord
post 29 Apr 2012, 8:30
Post #54

Get dunked
Group Icon

Member No.: 9095

I must say, I've been loving your take on the GLA these past few updates. Keep up the good work...and I hope I don't have to suffer with another year long lack of updates, as this and shockwave are the only reason I even bother with Generals anymore.

Will the strafing on the jets be as inaccurate as the Sandflies in shockwave? As much as I loved those things, it was a hassle trying to micromanage them into a proper firing position.

+Quote Post
The_Hunter
post 29 Apr 2012, 8:35
Post #55

Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 1
Projects: SWR Productions
Bitch slapping SAGE since 2003

It will be infact exactly like the DesertFly in ShockWave wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rudelord
post 29 Apr 2012, 8:39
Post #56

Get dunked
Group Icon

Member No.: 9095

Well I guess considering it can actually shoot at aircraft now, I wouldn't mind the hohum strafing too badly.

This post has been edited by Rudelord: 29 Apr 2012, 8:39

+Quote Post
n5p29
post 29 Apr 2012, 8:54
Post #57

Enlima Studios
Group Icon

Member No.: 482

QUOTE (SpiralSpectre @ 28 Apr 2012, 23:51) *
QUOTE (SorataZ @ 28 Apr 2012, 23:31) *

So I can build as many Airstrips as I want but no airplanes for them? Nah screwyou.gif

Probably wants to build as many airstrips as possible to go heli-spamming.

not much different than borrowing your ally airfields to hold your planes to allow you build more than normally allowed. tongue.gif

ask your friend to build extra airfield, then build your two planes from your Airstrip. move those built planes to your friend airfield, and the parking slot in your Airstrip now free. you can build two more planes. rinse, repeat.

if you don't want this happen, then it better the Interceptor number also limited.

--------------------

+Quote Post
The_Hunter
post 29 Apr 2012, 8:57
Post #58

Group Icon

no you won't be able to exploit this.

You can build 2 interceptors per player that is the max and there is no way to exploit beyond that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
n5p29
post 29 Apr 2012, 9:12
Post #59

Enlima Studios
Group Icon

Member No.: 482

great to hear that smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
SpiralSpectre
post 29 Apr 2012, 9:13
Post #60

Group Icon

Loves guessing games

Is this gonna be the last GLA update? If not then can we expect to see something from other factions beside the GLA in the next update?

+Quote Post
MARS
post 29 Apr 2012, 10:21
Post #61

Group Icon

Member No.: 10

Well, I should probably declare that we have now used up all the GLA renders that had accumulated in our 'render pool' over the last few months...
But there's still a lot of stuff in there that will make an appearance in 1.7 so yes, we will use it up before the release cos there wouldn't be much of a point in doing so afterwards.

Also, special bonus update:

GLA Raptor
Not entirely satisfied with their Interceptors, the crafty pilots Hassan and Amir came up a more sophisticated alternative...

+Quote Post
Anubis
post 29 Apr 2012, 11:27
Post #62

Group Icon

Member No.: 97

QUOTE (simeon5541 @ 29 Apr 2012, 1:27) *
That is magic of playing with GLA,when I played Generals first time I said Whaaaaat,there are not Airforce what I can do without planes,
but now even when we get jets some newbs will say Whaaaaaaat I spent all my GPs on Airport and AA.
But you are unconventional militia and you should feel like them while you play with them,so sneaky bastard tactics are essential.
Plus,what you would unlock with GLA,Rebel Ambush ? Anthrax Bomb ? All GLA General Powers are pretty weak compared to counterparts so this kind of unlocks aren't bad idea.

You know .. i never really understood what is it with internet people and their awsome way of doing cheap insults. Is it making you people feel better to call up shit behind a screen? Seriously ... I don't think you know me enough or prety much anyone in this community to call us noobs. Try to keep it at least down to business and less crap talk. Not everyone shares your iluminated vision over things.

Now back on topic - well i will wait and see, however i still feel that against a strong US or Russian airforce, the GLA will have a bit of weakness. Especialy now since from what we've been told their second economy is basicly based on you killing stuff. So while every other faction can sit back and produce cash you need to kill to produce it. Which again leads to further weakness. Weaker AA packed with a economy that forces you to go out and kill, means you have to use less units than other factions for better results. But that's just how i see it. I guess this is one of those wait and see things.

PS: damn that airfield looks good ingame. In fact all GLA looks awsome in this pics. I must admit this is the coolest GLA remake i've seen till now. I just can't wait for version 1.7.

This post has been edited by Anubis: 29 Apr 2012, 11:32

+Quote Post
Massey
post 29 Apr 2012, 11:30
Post #63

Group Icon

Member No.: 127

^ to the Photo above in mars pic...

USA polits have landed.... now lets fight like man tongue.gif

8chi.png

--------------------
This is so on the ball----> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m4SCUaBHS8

+Quote Post
Jester
post 29 Apr 2012, 12:22
Post #64

Group Icon

Member No.: 80
Forum Mechanic

QUOTE (simeon5541 @ 29 Apr 2012, 0:49) *
I also thought about some old school Mirage,but which is 3rd one ? huh.gif

The kfrir was an israeli version of the mirage if I'm correct israel acquired the rights to build them during the war against egypt and Syria

+Quote Post
SpiralSpectre
post 29 Apr 2012, 12:35
Post #65

Group Icon

Loves guessing games

GLA seriously has got Raptors? Sure didn't see that coming. Does those function differently from US ones? Why Raptors instead of some other jet? Are they meant to be GLA's tier 3 AA?

And all those questions aside - the base looks awesome. GLA sure looks excellent in-game. I am getting all hyped up.

+Quote Post
Warpath
post 29 Apr 2012, 13:00
Post #66

Mad General... MUAHAHAHAHA!!!
Group Icon

Member No.: 9008
Follower of the Grimdark.

GLA Raptors? The only way the GLA can get them is by capturing a US base or construction dozer.

--------------------
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
- George S. Patton

That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

- The Neconomicon

Two things are infinite: the universe and the human stupidity.
- Albert Einstein (attributed)

+Quote Post
The_Hunter
post 29 Apr 2012, 13:01
Post #67

Group Icon

Or hijackers I8.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
GeneralCamo
post 29 Apr 2012, 14:05
Post #68

That person
Group Icon

Member No.: 417
C&C ShockWave Co-Leader

Oh man, if the GLA can capture jets and parked helicopters, well, everyone is in trouble...

+Quote Post
Warpath
post 29 Apr 2012, 14:17
Post #69

Mad General... MUAHAHAHAHA!!!
Group Icon

Member No.: 9008
Follower of the Grimdark.

Yeah, you know you could just fortify your base and besides, Hijackers would be the least of your concerns.

--------------------
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
- George S. Patton

That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

- The Neconomicon

Two things are infinite: the universe and the human stupidity.
- Albert Einstein (attributed)

+Quote Post
GeneralCamo
post 29 Apr 2012, 14:43
Post #70

That person
Group Icon

Member No.: 417
C&C ShockWave Co-Leader

Yeah, unless you fail to get stealth detection. I don't know how many hijackers I used to successfully take a laser general army. Once he got scout drones though, they were useless, but those were removed in ROTR.

+Quote Post
Nemanja
post 29 Apr 2012, 16:33
Post #71

Group Icon

QUOTE (Anubis @ 29 Apr 2012, 12:27) *
You know .. i never really understood what is it with internet people and their awsome way of doing cheap insults. Is it making you people feel better to call up shit behind a screen? Seriously ... I don't think you know me enough or prety much anyone in this community to call us noobs. Try to keep it at least down to business and less crap talk. Not everyone shares your iluminated vision over things.

Have I insulted you,and please tell me when it was,everything I drop on this forum is game oriented,not to any persons,
and I never called anyone noob,I said newbie,I meant if someone who is new to ROTR start to play first time some new version of
1.7 he would be like why GLAAF is limited,I don't know where you have find yourself in that text,but I'm sorry anyway . . . I guess.
And thank you for calling my texts crappy,also if you wanna answer do it by PM,I don't wanna rail this thread in this direction.
Sorry everyone for this.

+Quote Post
Dangerman
post 29 Apr 2012, 16:52
Post #72

I fits I sits
Group Icon

Member No.: 1107

QUOTE (The_Hunter @ 29 Apr 2012, 13:01) *
Or hijackers I8.gif

Ooooh, going to have to build many stealth detectors when playing against the GLA.

This post has been edited by dangerman1337: 29 Apr 2012, 16:52

+Quote Post
Nemanja
post 29 Apr 2012, 18:40
Post #73

Group Icon

QUOTE (SpiralSpectre @ 29 Apr 2012, 5:55) *
^Maybe it would be better if we don't directly associate a real life country with the GLA.

Yeah you are right,I forgot that there is a bunch of Mideast and African countries that use F-5.
So GLA can find parts everywhere.

+Quote Post
Mr.Kim
post 29 Apr 2012, 23:31
Post #74

Losing Karma to Vault Boy
Group Icon

Group: Tester
Member No.: 34
Some future plan mod for AoE3:Asian Dynasty or FO4

Can't read rest of all. 8Ip.png

--------------------

Let's kick this Russian Tank's ass back to the Bronze Age!

Twitch Chart ID: Mr_kim82

Moddb ID: Mr_Kim

+Quote Post
TheSpudd
post 30 Apr 2012, 2:53
Post #75

Group Icon

Member No.: 9020

I'm guessing the Gazelle will be crazy fast. Just like RL? Cancel that. "The Gazelle is very light and thin-skinned but makes up for its lack of protection with great speed and agility." Just saw this. Although how fast, that is the question!

This post has been edited by TheSpudd: 30 Apr 2012, 2:55

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27 April 2024 - 16:41