Closed TopicStart new topic
Rise of the Reds Update: Farewell to Foreign Shores
MARS
post 21 Apr 2012, 6:05
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Project Leader
Member No.: 10

Greetings, dear fans. As you may remember from our ongoing mini-series of updates, General Orlov is in great peril, but despite this, we decided to break up the pattern a bit with this week's update. And now for something completely different:

United States of America, 2032

This is Eric Brice reporting live from Washington DC where a huge crowd of protesters has gathered in front of the Capitol Hill today. Demonstrations from various different groups have been a common sight in the American capital for decades but this one stands out: A sizeable portion of the protesters are members of the United States military, the Navy in particular, who express their discontent over this year's controversial National Defense Authorization Act. The law which with all likelihood will be approved by Congress this week includes the largest budget cuts in the history of the US military. The savings amount to almost half of the country's annual spending which, even today, four years after the global war on terrorism came to an end, still exceeds the dreaded mark of one trillion Dollars, putting a constant strain on the stagnating economy.

"My name is James Hernandez, I'm 26 years old and currently a Seaman onboard the USS Lincoln. They told us that most of our Nimitz-class carriers are going to be mothballed cos they're too damn expensive and that 'the role of super-carriers in modern naval warfare is to be re-evaluated', as the brass say. I guess they're still scared shitless by what the GLA did to the Reagan back in '27. They're gonna decommission like half the entire fleet and replace it with a few newer ships that have a ton of AI assistance, so much of the personnel's being laid off as well. Seriously, man? I've got a wife and a kid to take care off. My dad used to be a Marine for his entire life, my grandfather's been in the Mexican forces back in his day and so on. The military has always been a safe bet for our family but...Well, I guess I'm gonna be the last in that line. Life's a bitch..."

But the NDAA isn't just controversial due to the scaling-down of equipment and personnel: The law also states that most of the many old vessels, including capital ships, destroyers and boats, are to be sold with little regard as to who. Proponents say that the current geo-political climate is stable enough thanks to China's leading role in international peacekeeping and that the technology of these ships no longer represents the cutting edge of the US military's modern day arsenal. Thus, they conclude that the danger of these ships, should they ever wind up in the hands of a rogue state, would be very controllable but many members of the Navy disagree with that assessment. Captain Karen Thompson is one of them:

"These ships may no longer be 'cutting edge' but they're still advanced enough to shift the balance in smaller, regional conflicts between emerging powers. The financial situation of our country has degraded to a point where long-term geo-strategic planning has simply become a luxury so the government is going to sell them to pretty much anyone who's willing and capable to pay the price. But the way we see it, this policy is going to backfire on us really badly. For all we know, these ships could easily end up with the Russians or the Chinese. For their naval forces, the technologies on these vessels including the various sub-systems like radar, weapons, fire-control, electronics, et cetera, are still quite modern and they could easily use them to jump-start their own developments. Better buy a decent ship from someone else than build the entire thing from scratch. And this isn't like Iran back in the day, whose F-14s were rendered useless when we ceased to provide them with spare parts and system updates after the revolution. These are global industrial superpowers we're talking about and they are very well capable of reverse engineering our tech. In a nutshell, we may very well be arming the countries that could be our greatest adversaries in some future conflict."

In any case, the servicemen and -women here will continue their protests as will the public debate over these controversial developments. This was Eric Brice reporting to you live from Washington DC. Back to you, Christine.

The Naval Yard is a Tech building that only appears on a select number of maps that are designed with naval units in mind. Upon capture, every faction in version 1.7 will be able to produce the same naval units from this structure.
They will later be replaced by more unique faction-specific ships but those will require a large amount of work, so we decided to give everyone an early opportunity to have a basic, but fully functional navy in the upcoming version.

The Battleship is armed with a pair of deadly twin-cannons that have enough range and firepower to create an intense barrage. However, their line of sight and accuracy are lacklustre, necessitating the use of forward scout units.
While extremely devastating against any target on land and structures in particular, the ship has no air defences, is extremely slow and cumbersome and thus easily overwhelmed at close range. A single one of them also costs a fortune!

Destroyers are support vessels that are armed with precise, long-range missiles for surface targets as well as a CIWS turret for defence against air targets.
With their decent mobility and armaments, these ships are best used to protect Battle Ships and harrass smaller targets near the shoreline.

Despite being lightly armed and thin-skinned, the Gun Boat still serves an important purpose: It has the longest vision radius of all the ships, making it a useful scout for Battle Ships.
It can also compensate for its lack of protection through speed and agility, allowing it to close in with Destroyers and even Battle Ships to overwhelm them within their minimum range.

The naval units are only available on a handful specific maps that have been modified to include the Tech Naval Yard and are currently undergoing extensive testing. So far, we haven't encountered any major problems and I can reveal to you that they definitely add some interesting new gameplay dimensions on the maps that have them. However, before any miscommunications arise, I shall conclude this update by stressing once again that this is a temporary navy. It will be completely replaced by a more diverse, faction-specific selection of ships filling in similar unit roles in a later version, so don't get too attached to them.

IRemember, you can also find us on facebook and find all of our news, updates, screens and other goodies!

Have a look and give us a Like!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GeneralCamo
post 21 Apr 2012, 6:13
Post #2

That person
Group Icon

Member No.: 417
C&C ShockWave Co-Leader

Oh god, the legacy of shockwave has arisen!

Will this be in the next version? Or will this come later?

EDIT: Wait a minute, it looks like this is a direct port from RA. Oh well, it's only temporary. Will that battlesub we were shown since shockwave .93 (Or earlier?) appear in a later version?

This post has been edited by Generalcamo: 21 Apr 2012, 6:16

+Quote Post
MARS
post 21 Apr 2012, 6:16
Post #3

Group Icon

Yes, it will be in the next/upcoming version, which is going to be labeled 1.7 and include the navy, the revamped GLA as well as some small but noticeable new additions to Russia, China and the US.

EDIT: That is correct. The ships for this temporary navy where made as an homage to the Red Alert 1 designs from back in the day. With that in mind, you can probably also conclude that there's going to be another unarmed ship that we haven't shown in this update. wink.gif

+Quote Post
GeneralCamo
post 21 Apr 2012, 6:20
Post #4

That person
Group Icon

Member No.: 417
C&C ShockWave Co-Leader

Will that "thing" xxxxxx tanks? Or just Infantry?

+Quote Post
MARS
post 21 Apr 2012, 6:25
Post #5

Group Icon

Well, I don't know which function you're thinking of, considering that the word "transport" does not fit into your "xxxxxx", but yes, it can do that to tanks and infantry alike; even APCs that contain actual infantry.

+Quote Post
Comr4de
post 21 Apr 2012, 6:29
Post #6

Master of Wreckage
Group Icon

Group: Leader
Member No.: 2
Projects: SWR Productions

Navy will be available for the this upcoming release. I8.gif

--------------------

SWR Co-Lead | Texture Artist | Modeler | Level Designer | Fan of all things Awesome

+Quote Post
Cobretti
post 21 Apr 2012, 6:35
Post #7

Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 47

Well, this was somewhat unexpected! I recall that on the facebook fan page there was a question about what one would like to see in a hypothetical navy. I can't wait to see what the later faction specific warships are going to be like. (thinking of more advanced ships with multi-functional armament, point defenses [lasers for US, Goalkeepers for ECA, Kaštans for Russia, and so on)

This post has been edited by DerKrieger: 21 Apr 2012, 6:40

--------------------
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."-- George S. Patton

Resquiescat in pace, CommanderJB 1991-2009

+Quote Post
MARS
post 21 Apr 2012, 6:38
Post #8

Group Icon

Yeah, that question was a bit of a teaser back then. The_Hunter actually broke the news of his idea to us back in early Febuary.

+Quote Post
Cobretti
post 21 Apr 2012, 6:41
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 47

In any case, cool learning that this idea actually got off the ground for ROTR wink.gif

--------------------
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."-- George S. Patton

Resquiescat in pace, CommanderJB 1991-2009

+Quote Post
Claine
post 21 Apr 2012, 6:41
Post #10

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 8902

OMG it cant be.. they said theres no navy for this mod this is impossible!!
thanks SWR_team^^ i like the transport hover " injoy the ride"

This post has been edited by Claine: 21 Apr 2012, 6:42

--------------------

+Quote Post
Evan
post 21 Apr 2012, 6:48
Post #11

Mapper Extraordinaire
Group Icon

Member No.: 8893

From https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=359...e=1&theater I would love to assist in a map or two if you'd let me. Notice some similarities between that map and maps I make so...if I can help (even a little) let me know tongue.gif I have a portfolio if need I suppose...

also, what the hell is that green turret thing next to the Hovercraft in the top left?

This post has been edited by Evan: 21 Apr 2012, 6:50

--------------------

+Quote Post
Comr4de
post 21 Apr 2012, 6:56
Post #12

Master of Wreckage
Group Icon

QUOTE (Evan @ 21 Apr 2012, 0:48) *
From https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=359...e=1&theater I would love to assist in a map or two if you'd let me. Notice some similarities between that map and maps I make so...if I can help (even a little) let me know tongue.gif I have a portfolio if need I suppose...

also, what the hell is that green turret thing next to the Hovercraft in the top left?

You'll find out soon. Exclusive content.

(fffffff-)

--------------------

SWR Co-Lead | Texture Artist | Modeler | Level Designer | Fan of all things Awesome

+Quote Post
Dimension 52
post 21 Apr 2012, 7:43
Post #13

Group Icon

Member No.: 8894

QUOTE (MARS @ 21 Apr 2012, 18:16) *
Yes, it will be in the next/upcoming version, which is going to be labeled 1.7 and include the navy, the revamped GLA as well as some small but noticeable new additions to Russia, China and the US.

EDIT: That is correct. The ships for this temporary navy where made as an homage to the Red Alert 1 designs from back in the day. With that in mind, you can probably also conclude that there's going to be another unarmed ship that we haven't shown in this update. wink.gif

No ECA? sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
TheSpudd
post 21 Apr 2012, 8:04
Post #14

Group Icon

Member No.: 9020

Really blown away guys! Fantastic idea, make it a tech building!! SWR, going were no one has gone before!

I'm looking forward to the GLA ships! (in the future of course)

+Quote Post
MARS
post 21 Apr 2012, 8:10
Post #15

Group Icon

QUOTE (Dimension 52 @ 21 Apr 2012, 8:43) *
No ECA? sad.gif

What would you rather have? A fully functioning navy, a revamped GLA and some new stuff for Russia/China/US soon, or wait another undefined eternity for all that plus the ECA with no sort of new release to pass the time between that?

QUOTE (TheSpudd @ 21 Apr 2012, 9:04) *
I'm looking forward to the GLA ships! (in the future of course)

We do already have some ideas floating around for those, but for now, they too will have to make do with the "generic" ones. Puts them all on equal terms though, and you will all be quite impressed by the firepower and range of these ships.
When we're talking "long-range" in regards to the Battle Ships, we aren't just talking Nuke Cannon long or Cruise Mode Tomahawk long; I can tell you that much.

+Quote Post
TheSpudd
post 21 Apr 2012, 8:15
Post #16

Group Icon

Member No.: 9020

QUOTE (MARS @ 21 Apr 2012, 19:10) *
...we aren't just talking Nuke Cannon long or Cruise Mode Tomahawk long; I can tell you that much.

serious.gif (dreams up portable AGAS Tremor on Russian destroyer)

+Quote Post
Dimension 52
post 21 Apr 2012, 8:27
Post #17

Group Icon

Member No.: 8894

QUOTE (MARS @ 21 Apr 2012, 20:10) *
What would you rather have? A fully functioning navy, a revamped GLA and some new stuff for Russia/China/US soon, or wait another undefined eternity for all that plus the ECA with no sort of new release to pass the time between that?

Yeah you're right, bring on the GLA! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
SpiralSpectre
post 21 Apr 2012, 9:47
Post #18

Group Icon

Member No.: 8905
Loves guessing games

Now that's a pleasant surprise. The renders (specially the Naval Yard) look amazing and naval units should be fun.

Yeah I guess everyone's doing it but I ain't feeling like anticipating what kinda unique ships the factions would get. Those ain't planned for anytime soon anyway (I guess).

This post has been edited by SpiralSpectre: 21 Apr 2012, 9:48

+Quote Post
Jester
post 21 Apr 2012, 9:47
Post #19

Group Icon

Member No.: 80
Forum Mechanic

SWR please marry me?...This was totally unexpected great job guys! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Dangerman
post 21 Apr 2012, 10:52
Post #20

I fits I sits
Group Icon

Member No.: 1107

Seriously guys you keep surprising us more and more. It looks like the plans for Navy for Shockwave 1.0 came here instead and I think RoTR's slower playstyle suits a navy like this more rather than Shockwave. Also is that a dual turret tech defense in that facebook screenshot?

EDIT: Will the unique faction ships come with ECA vanilla, 2.0 or a different version altogether?

This post has been edited by dangerman1337: 21 Apr 2012, 10:54

+Quote Post
Mcbob
post 21 Apr 2012, 11:05
Post #21

Group Icon

Member No.: 52

I'm surprised you got the amphibious function for the hover crusader to work.

+Quote Post
Warpath
post 21 Apr 2012, 11:49
Post #22

Mad General... MUAHAHAHAHA!!!
Group Icon

Member No.: 9008
Follower of the Grimdark.

The Navy is in ROTR!!! man you guys are awesome but how will it be captured.

--------------------
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
- George S. Patton

That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

- The Neconomicon

Two things are infinite: the universe and the human stupidity.
- Albert Einstein (attributed)

+Quote Post
MARS
post 21 Apr 2012, 11:53
Post #23

Group Icon

The Tech Naval Yards are always placed in such a way that they are on land but point towards the sea, so you just capture them with a basic infantry unit as you would capture any other tech structure and build the ships from it. It's not exactly rocket surgery.

+Quote Post
Comr4de
post 21 Apr 2012, 12:06
Post #24

Master of Wreckage
Group Icon

Will post some of these puppies in combat on facebook - JUST - so people know that they are in fact ready to go.

Also because I tease I8.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Red Guard
post 21 Apr 2012, 12:29
Post #25

Group Icon

Member No.: 9065
Fighting for the Red Army

Navy?The proportion of how?Will not affect the balance?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27 April 2024 - 17:24