IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
CoLT's Model Workshop, A gallery of my adventures in 3ds max.
CoLT
post 16 Aug 2012, 15:37
Post #1

C&C:Reichsmarsch Mod Leader
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 9264

Hi,

I made a thread like this on FS so I'm going to summarise that one over here and then add updates both here and there as well.

First off, this is the Type 101 Main Battle Tank. This is the PLA's Main Battle Tank, starting it's service in 1998. It is armed with an indigenously developed 122mm Main Gun, derived from the Soviet-era M62-T2. The hull design harks back to the age-old Kilment Voroshilov Model 3 (KV-3) from the 1940s. Its turret is a hybrid of many designs, including the KV-2, IS-6 and IS-7.
It is also armed with a 14.5 mm Coaxial Heavy Machine Gun.

Tank is shown below in the various camouflage patterns currently in service with the PLA, as well as a close-up look at the two-colour Jungle/Steppes pattern.

Total Polycount: 1200, approx.

Next, we have the PLA's solution to armoured assaults. The heavy-barreled 45 mm QJZ-335 Anti-Tank Rifle. This is a delayed-blowback, gas-operated, semi-automatic weapon. It comes equipped with a 6.4x magnification rifle scope and bipod. The body is made from high-strength stamped steel with a wooden stock. Ammunition is stored in a 5-round detachable box magazine that comes with an internal jack-up system to lift the rounds as well as a water drainage system to allow the weapon to be brought, unprepared, through river crossings.
Accurate to within 20cm at 650m. Due to the long barrel (in excess of 1.5m), it is inadvisable to fire the weapon from a standing position.

Total Polycount: 700, approx.

Lastly, here is the newest in the US Army's weapons development. This beast stands on two legs and up to a height of 16m. It weighs 140 tons and carries the latest in experimental field direct-energy weapons. Mounted on the right side of the walker's torso is a 30 ton Electrolaser cannon. It utilises a high-energy laser to create a conductive plasma channel, through which a bolt of controlled lightning is fired. It can deal great damage to vehicles, even overloading their electronics, causing a total shutdown. This system has been proven to be equally devastating to infantry, however, it is prone to overheating so the walker carries two backup weapon systems. Mounted on its chin, we can see a newly designed three-barrel vulcan cannon as well as a twin barreled multipurpose grenade launcher. Both are powerful enough against infantry and light vehicles. Due to the torso not being able to elevate or depress, the walker is not able to effectively engage anything that is above or taller than itself. Therefore, the walker needs external protection against enemy air assets.

Total Polycount: 2600, approx.

Hope you enjoyed this post!

Stay tuned, as you can see, the walker is nowhere near complete and the AT Rifle still lacks a soldier to carry it. So, you can be sure that there will be updates still to come.

--------------------

Visit our ModDB
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CoLT
post 16 Aug 2012, 17:57
Post #2

Group Icon

Another model I'm currently working on, the APC for the USA. It's going to be very versatile in game, being able to transform from being just a normal APC, to a tank destroyer and even an artillery piece and much more. Render below shows the basic shape of the APC in its standard variant.

--------------------

Visit our ModDB

+Quote Post
__CrUsHeR
post 16 Aug 2012, 21:37
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 9084
"No. Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise."

Impressive work mainly with the textures of the tank, camouflage appears to be worn.

--------------------

You already imagined how would be SAP in the ROTR's universe? Check out this fan-fiction: South American Pact Introduction

+Quote Post
CoLT
post 18 Aug 2012, 12:23
Post #4

Group Icon

Another update for you all.

Here's a Super Heavy Tank. Anyone can guess what it's based on?
It has some modern features such as electrohydraulic turret drive mechanisms, also includes modern add-on armour on its front.
Mounts a 20mm AA gun on its roof as well.

Two renders. First is a WIP render. Second is the completed model. Polycount is just over 2000, unoptimised.

Comments?

EDIT: Yeah, I still haven't figured out how I'm going to make that turret turn without clipping the drum yet.

This post has been edited by CoLT: 18 Aug 2012, 12:24

--------------------

Visit our ModDB

+Quote Post
CoLT
post 18 Aug 2012, 13:43
Post #5

Group Icon

3rd update for today (or 2nd if you're keeping count).

Here's a render of my APC in its Rocket Artillery variation.

--------------------

Visit our ModDB

+Quote Post
The_Hunter
post 18 Aug 2012, 14:36
Post #6

Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 1
Projects: SWR Productions
Bitch slapping SAGE since 2003

i like the look of that rocket even tho it makes no sense looking the way it does tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
CoLT
post 18 Aug 2012, 14:50
Post #7

Group Icon

QUOTE (The_Hunter @ 18 Aug 2012, 21:36) *
i like the look of that rocket even tho it makes no sense looking the way it does tongue.gif

If it's for ZH, there's no need for it to make sense tongue.gif

Looks matter and this is form before function smile.gif

EDIT: Additionally, the fins near the front also spin when it flies. Again, there's no good reason for it to do this. tongue.gif

This post has been edited by CoLT: 18 Aug 2012, 14:56

--------------------

Visit our ModDB

+Quote Post
CoLT
post 18 Aug 2012, 16:07
Post #8

Group Icon

This must be some kind of record.... Or at least a new personal best.

3 models complete in a single day?

This is a heavy tank in service with the Pan-African Confederacy (PAC). They call it the Babylonian Lion (Asad Babil in Arabic). It is rumored to be developed from a Soviet blueprint smuggled out of the Soviet Union by its designer Zhozef Kotin days before Soviet Russia fell to German forces.

Worried about its structural integrity, the PAC opted to upgrade the tank with applique armour, particularly around its gun mantlet. It is armed with a 122mm M62-T2 gun (the same design that the PLA based their main gun on), as well as a long-barreled 12.7mm Coaxial Heavy Machinegun.

(In actuality, the extra armour around the gun happened as a result of me using the 'Extrude' tool and... it just sorta became like that. But after looking at it, I thought it looked kind of cool so I left it like that.)

Model is unoptimised right now.

Here is the render. (One internetz to anyone who can guess the original real-life tank that it is based on. And no, it is not the T-72, even though it shares the name.)

This post has been edited by CoLT: 18 Aug 2012, 16:08

--------------------

Visit our ModDB

+Quote Post
CoLT
post 18 Aug 2012, 19:19
Post #9

Group Icon

Another one for today.

It's a light strike/recon jeep for the USA. It's based on something futuristic and if you don't know what it is then maybe you aren't a gamer tongue.gif

--------------------

Visit our ModDB

+Quote Post
Admiral FCS
post 18 Aug 2012, 23:30
Post #10

Anime Addict
Group Icon

Member No.: 31

The PLA tank seems a little bit too boxy IMO... and it's probably because of looking at it at a higher viewpoint, but they seem kinda tall too. Great work though; I'm no modelling guy. When did you start modelling, and about how long did you take before getting better and better?

+Quote Post
CoLT
post 19 Aug 2012, 3:56
Post #11

Group Icon

The PLA tank is supposed to look boxy actually.

I started modeling back in 2007 when I first started modding. I stopped for about three years and then started again only recently. It takes time to get used to it and eventually you get better. It's not just about practice. It's also about knowing the platform well. Learning what all the different tools do and what they can be used for.
It is also a lot easier if you are working with concept art such as blueprint or schematic drawings. Even just a hand drawn side and top view makes a big difference in how your model turns out.

I can't say that I'm anywhere near professional level with 3ds max but I can say that the basics are pretty much covered with me. Although there are so many more tools and functions which I have yet to learn about, either because they have no use with Zero Hour modeling or because I simply haven't learnt what they do yet.

--------------------

Visit our ModDB

+Quote Post
Comr4de
post 19 Aug 2012, 6:49
Post #12

Master of Wreckage
Group Icon

Group: Leader
Member No.: 2
Projects: SWR Productions

Lovely work good sir, Add some more weathering and shading to your textures and they'll look blasted good I8.gif

Modeling looks nice too! Keep up the good work biggrin.gif

--------------------

SWR Co-Lead | Texture Artist | Modeler | Level Designer | Fan of all things Awesome

+Quote Post
CoLT
post 19 Aug 2012, 8:17
Post #13

Group Icon

QUOTE (Comr4de @ 19 Aug 2012, 13:49) *
Lovely work good sir, Add some more weathering and shading to your textures and they'll look blasted good I8.gif

Modeling looks nice too! Keep up the good work biggrin.gif

Which texture are you referring to? I'd like to know so I know where to start from. Cos I have added some to the PLA Type 101 MBT in the first post, I might add more if that's the one you're referring to. The rest are just placeholder textures mainly.

--------------------

Visit our ModDB

+Quote Post
CoLT
post 19 Aug 2012, 10:02
Post #14

Group Icon

Went back to making infantry.

This is the basic USA infantry. Named the Sentinel. Essentially, they are paramilitary police enforcers. However, since the US is a police state in my mod, they are the only form of armed force in the US when they are dragged into the war. While they carry very high tech equipment, it is designed for law enforcement and not for an all-out war. They are armed with the MX-13 7.62mm Semi-automatic rifle. It features a 3x optical sight and an underbarrel shotgun.
Their helmet covers their entire head and is equipped with light amplification sensors to help them see in low-light conditions. It also has an in-built HUD with motion detection. It can also detect heartbeats through walls and has accurate sound-location and detection sensors.
With this helmet, the Sentinel can see, hear and sense any living being anywhere within 200m of them, in any condition and even whilst under fire.

However, they had not counted on fighting a large enemy force. Let alone one whose soldiers had no heartbeat.

Here is the render:

Polycount: approx. 700 to 800. Texture is still WIP but more or less finalised, in terms of layout.

--------------------

Visit our ModDB

+Quote Post
CoLT
post 19 Aug 2012, 11:05
Post #15

Group Icon

Sentinel's Rifle is Mapped and Textured. Tweaked the skin a bit too, Anyone got suggestions for names? Sentinel is still a lil iffy.

--------------------

Visit our ModDB

+Quote Post
CoLT
post 19 Aug 2012, 15:33
Post #16

Group Icon

Just a fun render of the Jeep and the sentinels inside.

--------------------

Visit our ModDB

+Quote Post
CoLT
post 23 Aug 2012, 9:08
Post #17

Group Icon

Hi all. Another update for you.

I've just completed the builder for the German side. Here are some renders and ingame screens of him. He carries a heavy duty welder to construct buildings. Not pictured: His undead skin tongue.gif Cos I've hadn't added it at the time of taking these pictures. The German infantry are all power-armor assisted undead of sorts so his uniform is supposed to be torn and showing some of the dead flesh underneath. I will adding pics of that when i have time.

Note that the red parts are housecolour.

--------------------

Visit our ModDB

+Quote Post
CoLT
post 24 Aug 2012, 5:54
Post #18

Group Icon

Hi all,

This is a model I made a couple of months ago. I've started skinning it. Bear in mind that this is a WIP and some parts aren't skinned. Also there are some banners and other objects that are supposed to be Housecolor which are not shown (because they aren't finalised yet).
Also, the white part on the "floor" bib is supposed to be alpha. But it's not displaying in 3dsmax for some reason. Anyone can help me out there?

A video of the animation can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUjV-Hqc6W0

--------------------

Visit our ModDB

+Quote Post
CoLT
post 24 Aug 2012, 9:33
Post #19

Group Icon

Exterior is done!

Now to finalise the housecolors.

--------------------

Visit our ModDB

+Quote Post
CoLT
post 24 Aug 2012, 15:10
Post #20

Group Icon

Interior Textures are now done.
Still no housecolor yet.

Here's the render of the ElectroMagnetic Drive with the doors closed.

And here's a render of it open.

In case you can't picture the animation, here's the video of it: Video!
(Do check it out, it took forever to render)

--------------------

Visit our ModDB

+Quote Post
MARS
post 24 Aug 2012, 16:01
Post #21

Group Icon

Group: Project Leader
Member No.: 10

So many posts. I wish I could actually see this stuff as it sounds really cool but for some reason, none of the images after post #9 seem to be showing up. Anyone else having that problem?

+Quote Post
Evan
post 25 Aug 2012, 6:12
Post #22

Mapper Extraordinaire
Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 8893

I knwo I am.

--------------------

+Quote Post
CoLT
post 25 Aug 2012, 10:52
Post #23

Group Icon

The images are hosted on Sadpanda.us
If there's another site that you know works for you then I can update the links. Have you seen the videos though?

--------------------

Visit our ModDB

+Quote Post
CoLT
post 26 Aug 2012, 4:09
Post #24

Group Icon

Another render here. This is the drone carrier. It's the primary supply gatherer for the Germans. Simply park this behemoth next to a supply dock and the drones will do the rest.

This post has been edited by CoLT: 26 Aug 2012, 4:10

--------------------

Visit our ModDB

+Quote Post
CoLT
post 26 Aug 2012, 4:23
Post #25

Group Icon

For those who are having difficulties viewing the renders, here is a complete list of all renders as hosted on another site.

Let me know if there are any I have missed.

--------------------

Visit our ModDB

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23 April 2024 - 12:27