Reply to this topicStart new topic
Red Guards...
Celtic Warrior
post 18 Mar 2014, 23:33
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 9479

They're cool infantry, yes, but that semi-automatic whatever-the-heck gun they're armed with is a little ridiculous. Wouldn't it make sense, especially in the mid-21st century, for them to have something more modern? Something like the QBZ-95, or maybe a later incarnation? Just an observation.

--------------------
WE WILL NOT BOW. WE WILL NOT FALL. WE STAND AS ONE. WE STAND ALONE.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
__CrUsHeR
post 18 Mar 2014, 23:39
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 9084
"No. Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise."

There we go over again...

--------------------

You already imagined how would be SAP in the ROTR's universe? Check out this fan-fiction: South American Pact Introduction

+Quote Post
Karpet
post 18 Mar 2014, 23:43
Post #3

Comrade Bear
Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 9722
Projects: Deep Impact

This is not a tacticool QBZ-958274827-47282 game. Please stop with the realism. This isn't addressed to specifically you, it's for others who decide to do the same thing. Wouldn't it be boring if all basic infantry fired carbon copies of the Ranger's gun?

--------------------
Your feeling of helplessness is your best friend, savage.

+Quote Post
Shiro
post 18 Mar 2014, 23:44
Post #4

Gamer Girl
Group Icon

Group: Legend
Member No.: 182
Friendly Freelancer

Red Guard rifles incidentially deal the highest damage per shot. No, they'll keep them.

+Quote Post
XAttus
post 18 Mar 2014, 23:54
Post #5

Arena maker
Group Icon

Group: Tester
Member No.: 10203

to hell with realism, those rifles can even destroy tanks!

They should have crossbows instead! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by XAttus: 18 Mar 2014, 23:55

--------------------
XAttus
-game anyone?

The Hunter
- Nobody wants to play bombtruck simulator with you

+Quote Post
Mr.Kim
post 19 Mar 2014, 0:00
Post #6

Losing Karma to Vault Boy
Group Icon

Member No.: 34
Some future plan mod for AoE3:Asian Dynasty or FO4

Nope.

--------------------

Let's kick this Russian Tank's ass back to the Bronze Age!

Twitch Chart ID: Mr_kim82

Moddb ID: Mr_Kim

+Quote Post
DELETED MEMBER
post 19 Mar 2014, 0:29
Post #7

BANNED
Group Icon

Member No.: 48

taking into account how much of a punch they pack compared to the assault rifles of other factions, why change them? for the sake of realism in a game with tesla, laser and giant "SHOOT ME PLEASE" tanks?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Svea Rike
post 19 Mar 2014, 0:33
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 9540

It's not only a design option, the lore states the Red Guards are an auxiliary division purposely armed with vintage SKS rifles for traditional reasons.

--------------------

+Quote Post
teslashark
post 19 Mar 2014, 0:56
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 10319

QUOTE (XAttus @ 18 Mar 2014, 14:54) *
to hell with realism, those rifles can even destroy tanks!

They should have crossbows instead! biggrin.gif

I suppose in almost every mod "tank" armor is not completely "small arms" proof.

--------------------
And then...

+Quote Post
Kalga
post 19 Mar 2014, 1:05
Post #10

Writer do his best now and BSing...
Group Icon

From: Somewhere in America (currently, not always that way)
Member No.: 9758
Yes I like Touhou... and the problem is?

QUOTE (teslashark @ 18 Mar 2014, 19:56) *
I suppose in almost every mod "tank" armor is not completely "small arms" proof.

Well, given that small arms can damage the unprotected sections of a tank (the external sensors, and some other stuff that I can't think of at the moment...), I would say it also apply to real life to a small degree...

--------------------
... wait, oh s--t! I've been surrounded by raging modders!

The forum is ripe with the stench of gamers!

+Quote Post
teslashark
post 19 Mar 2014, 2:39
Post #11

Group Icon

QUOTE (Kalga @ 18 Mar 2014, 16:05) *
Well, given that small arms can damage the unprotected sections of a tank (the external sensors, and some other stuff that I can't think of at the moment...), I would say it also apply to real life to a small degree...

Oh, the immense fun when I edited the RG's firetype to AP and TH's rocket to explosion...

--------------------
And then...

+Quote Post
Alex1guy
post 19 Mar 2014, 3:03
Post #12

The Whimsical Story Teller
Group Icon

Member No.: 9123

Dev's should give em Zhugenu Crossbows just to annoy the realism crowd

--------------------
"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat" -Sun Tzu

+Quote Post
DJDJ_888
post 19 Mar 2014, 3:47
Post #13

Group Icon

Member No.: 10186

Fucking really? I like realism but, this mod is not a realism mod and I hope it stays away from realism. Come on you can build bases at very quick speeds and you can train and build unlimited vehicles and spam grunts. If your complaining about realism think about the original game...

--------------------
"Men must be free to do what they believe it is not our right to punish one for thinking what they do no matter how much we disagree!"
-Altair Ibn La Ahad

+Quote Post
Jam Hacker
post 19 Mar 2014, 6:07
Post #14

Group Icon

Member No.: 10272

if you change horses in the middle of the stream, next thing you know you're up the creek without a paddle. they were using the very same guns in vanilla, it naturally follows that the they continue using the same weapon. if you make them adopting some fancy weapon, you'd have a huge deal to explaining to do in the backstory to cover the abrupt discontinuation up. the current rendition is actually not that bad, that RG were honorary units in the parade, which eventually evolves into a paramilitary organisation. although it doesn't explain their enduring fondness of archaic weaponry.

This post has been edited by Jam Hacker: 19 Mar 2014, 6:08

+Quote Post
teslashark
post 19 Mar 2014, 6:10
Post #15

Group Icon

QUOTE (Alex1guy @ 18 Mar 2014, 18:03) *
Dev's should give em Zhugenu Crossbows just to annoy the realism crowd

That is autostealth.

--------------------
And then...

+Quote Post
teslashark
post 19 Mar 2014, 6:12
Post #16

Group Icon

QUOTE (Jam Hacker @ 18 Mar 2014, 21:07) *
if you change horses in the middle of the stream, next thing you know you're up the creek without a paddle. they were using the very same guns in vanilla, it naturally follows that the they continue using the same weapon. if you make them adopting some fancy weapon, you'd have a huge deal to explaining to do in the backstory to cover the abrupt discontinuation up. the current rendition is actually not that bad, that RG were honorary units in the parade, which eventually evolves into a paramilitary organisation. although it doesn't explain their enduring fondness of archaic weaponry.

See what C&C Untitled did? They upskinned the gun and kept the damage mechanism.

--------------------
And then...

+Quote Post
Jam Hacker
post 19 Mar 2014, 6:26
Post #17

Group Icon

QUOTE (teslashark @ 19 Mar 2014, 7:12) *
See what C&C Untitled did? They upskinned the gun and kept the damage mechanism.

I have not played that mod and have very little knowledge of damage mechanism, i suppose what we care is the symbolism rather than the mechanism. i probably would not be bothered by knowing, say, some rocket shares the same damage type with napalm while they do not appear to be incendiary

This post has been edited by Jam Hacker: 19 Mar 2014, 6:27

+Quote Post
MARS
post 19 Mar 2014, 6:56
Post #18

Group Icon

Group: Project Leader
Member No.: 10

Design answer: The Red Guards will stay as they are because they're an iconic unit from the original game, not to mention that their rifles actually do the highest amount of damage per shot which makes them lethal when garrisoned. Also, as long as China is the designated spam faction, the majority of its equipment should look cheap and simple, because it'd be jarring to have soldiers with fancy modern rifles and, say, ZTZ99 tanks that are treated as throw-away trash in the actual gameplay.
Story answer: In our official interpretation, Red Guards aren't actual soldiers of the PLA, but rather members of an auxiliary force that eventually grew larger than the PLAGF proper. The fact that they wear revolutionary era uniforms and Chinese SKS knockoffs is justified because the unit was created to inspire nationalist zeal after the GLA nuked Beijing and served as a shock force for volunteers and washouts who didn't meet the requirements of the PLA. You can read all about it here.

+Quote Post
(USA)Bruce
post 19 Mar 2014, 9:23
Post #19

The Forums American Hotshot Flyboy
Group Icon

From: The foundation of modern freedom and Liberty;United States of America.
Member No.: 9500

Zhugenu Crossbows seem so backwards and silly compared to the western counterparts but theres probably a reason for that...

Red guards have bayonets wich changing their gun would probably take away.They are ment to be backwards in equipment know damn well to use them.Think about it....

All american Basic Infantry such as missle defenders and rangers have kevlar and ceramic plate armour built in if you look in at them closely.That doesnt stop them from loosing large engagements unless being armed with a more suitable weapon such as the public release flash bang.Like the new partisians for GLA they make up thier equipment and probably training by skill wich is cool to see.Even cooler is to see a jarmen outnumbered and firing off as fast as he can as the mob of red guards come to bayonet him down.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Overlord_Cane
post 19 Mar 2014, 12:37
Post #20

Your cane overlord
Group Icon

Member No.: 10322

QUOTE (teslashark @ 19 Mar 2014, 0:56) *

Contra managed to "fix" that, or whatever you may want to call it.

Then again, that mod makes it frustrating as shit simply because they made small-arms units unable to attack tanks. gun8.gif awbot.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
teslashark
post 19 Mar 2014, 17:00
Post #21

Group Icon

QUOTE (Overlord_Cane @ 19 Mar 2014, 3:37) *
Contra managed to "fix" that, or whatever you may want to call it.

Then again, that mod makes it frustrating as shit simply because they made small-arms units unable to attack tanks. gun8.gif awbot.gif

Yeah, every game eventually went to turtling with SW/GPs or tank rushes.

--------------------
And then...

+Quote Post
Jam Hacker
post 19 Mar 2014, 18:57
Post #22

Group Icon

QUOTE ((USA)Bruce @ 19 Mar 2014, 10:23) *
Zhugenu Crossbows seem so backwards and silly compared to the western counterparts but theres probably a reason for that...

Red guards have bayonets wich changing their gun would probably take away.They are ment to be backwards in equipment know damn well to use them.Think about it....

All american Basic Infantry such as missle defenders and rangers have kevlar and ceramic plate armour built in if you look in at them closely.That doesnt stop them from loosing large engagements unless being armed with a more suitable weapon such as the public release flash bang.Like the new partisians for GLA they make up thier equipment and probably training by skill wich is cool to see.Even cooler is to see a jarmen outnumbered and firing off as fast as he can as the mob of red guards come to bayonet him down.

I didn't know americans had fancy armours, it only counts if it was a upgrade. and the pow system requires flashbang to capture prisoners doesn't it?
bayonet charge is generally ineffective but very entertaining to behold, but in terms of effectiveness, its not even comparable to the imperial warriors' banzai charge, i mean, if you have enough guns why don't you just shoot that person instead of letting him shooting you.
how did the repeating crossbow get into this conversation? it's like the exact opposite of the situation we are discussing here

+Quote Post
Karpet
post 19 Mar 2014, 19:37
Post #23

Comrade Bear
Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 9722
Projects: Deep Impact

QUOTE (Jam Hacker @ 19 Mar 2014, 13:57) *
I didn't know americans had fancy armours, it only counts if it was a upgrade. and the pow system requires flashbang to capture prisoners doesn't it?
bayonet charge is generally ineffective but very entertaining to behold, but in terms of effectiveness, its not even comparable to the imperial warriors' banzai charge, i mean, if you have enough guns why don't you just shoot that person instead of letting him shooting you.
how did the repeating crossbow get into this conversation? it's like the exact opposite of the situation we are discussing here

Watch what you say. Play online and that bayonet = Insta kill. Bye bye heros!

--------------------
Your feeling of helplessness is your best friend, savage.

+Quote Post
DELETED MEMBER
post 19 Mar 2014, 21:30
Post #24

BANNED
Group Icon

Member No.: 48

QUOTE (Jam Hacker @ 19 Mar 2014, 18:57) *

because somebody mention giving them to the red guard to piss off the pro-realism
i still dont know why pro-realism people came to the C&C series, is like one reads lord of the rings and start screaming about how elf didn't exist and how unrealistic the books are

--------------------

+Quote Post
teslashark
post 20 Mar 2014, 1:38
Post #25

Group Icon

QUOTE (Alguien @ 19 Mar 2014, 12:30) *
because somebody mention giving them to the red guard to piss off the pro-realism
i still dont know why pro-realism people came to the C&C series, is like one reads lord of the rings and start screaming about how elf didn't exist and how unrealistic the books are

Well, at least swords exist.

--------------------
And then...

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20 April 2024 - 3:23