Reply to this topicStart new topic
Wiki related questions
MARS
post 7 May 2013, 15:30
Post #151

Group Icon

Group: Project Leader
Member No.: 10

I agree. Get rid of that entire page ASAP. We don't need to come up with contrived lore explanations for absolutely everything as it only draws attention to the things that don't make a whole lot of sense. The idea of 21st century militaries somehow forgetting that co-axes/remote weapon stations/pintle mounts exist, only to lose 'top of the line divisions' (anyone care to imagine just how batshit ridiculous this ENTIRE notion is?) and then re-discover a technology that has been around since WW2 cannot be salvaged into anything worthwhile. In fact, it only makes all the involved parties look pants-on-head retarded. If we were to provide pseudo-realistics specs for our tanks, they'd all have some secondary weapon in-lore but in-game, we only have this sort of thing as a unique mechanic for the ECA and a visual detail for Russia due to design reasons.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
__CrUsHeR
post 7 May 2013, 15:37
Post #152

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 9084
"No. Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise."

An awesome example of what MARS said is this here:

The Apocalypse is a wonderful tank in the game, but never will be so nice as it would in real life.

This post has been edited by __CrUsHeR: 7 May 2013, 15:40

--------------------

You already imagined how would be SAP in the ROTR's universe? Check out this fan-fiction: South American Pact Introduction

+Quote Post
SpiralSpectre
post 7 May 2013, 16:21
Post #153

Group Icon

Member No.: 8905
Loves guessing games

QUOTE (MARS @ 7 May 2013, 20:30) *
I agree. Get rid of that entire page ASAP. We don't need to come up with contrived lore explanations for absolutely everything as it only draws attention to the things that don't make a whole lot of sense. The idea of 21st century militaries somehow forgetting that co-axes/remote weapon stations/pintle mounts exist, only to lose 'top of the line divisions' (anyone care to imagine just how batshit ridiculous this ENTIRE notion is?) and then re-discover a technology that has been around since WW2 cannot be salvaged into anything worthwhile. In fact, it only makes all the involved parties look pants-on-head retarded. If we were to provide pseudo-realistics specs for our tanks, they'd all have some secondary weapon in-lore but in-game, we only have this sort of thing as a unique mechanic for the ECA and a visual detail for Russia due to design reasons.

Got rid of the lore related stuff and turned it into a page only detailing how the manned MG works in-game. Is this okay now or should I still get rid of the page?

Manned Machine Gun

+Quote Post
Talonek
post 7 May 2013, 20:40
Post #154

We complain because we care!
Group Icon

Member No.: 9248

QUOTE (MARS @ 7 May 2013, 9:30) *
I agree. Get rid of that entire page ASAP. We don't need to come up with contrived lore explanations for absolutely everything ...

What can I say, I had the creative itch, then.

This post has been edited by Talonek: 7 May 2013, 20:41

+Quote Post
TheCeLL
post 8 May 2013, 2:52
Post #155

Dangerous Eukaryote
Group Icon

Member No.: 9173
More awesome than an imploding star and a burning car combined

QUOTE (Talonek @ 7 May 2013, 15:40) *
What can I say, I had the creative itch, then.

heh dont worry bout it. Its just that the tank MGs are simply not put into the game for balance reasons.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Talonek
post 15 May 2013, 20:42
Post #156

Group Icon

Hey, just wanted let you guys know that If there are any issues with the wiki, you can message Odhora or I on the wiki, unless it specifically requires the knowledge of Mars. If you feel there is something to add or to fix, feel free to do so, we appreciate all the help we can get!

+Quote Post
Svea Rike
post 16 May 2013, 10:01
Post #157

Group Icon

Member No.: 9540

One question, when 2.0 has been released, can we add pages explaining fan-fiction stories, characters, battles etc. etc...

--------------------

+Quote Post
MARS
post 16 May 2013, 10:53
Post #158

Group Icon

Of course. I've noticed that there's a page for the Battle of Ramsgate already and anyone willing to write a more in-depth, quasi-historical account can give it a shot; if it fits, I might declare it as canon. The Battle of Kurmuk would deserve such coverage as well, considering the implications it had. The whole thing could be inspired by Wikipedia pages on real battles, infobox and all. Beyond that, I've already said that fan-fiction that fits our idea of the setting can also be declared canon and added to the wiki in the right presentation.

+Quote Post
__CrUsHeR
post 16 May 2013, 11:20
Post #159

Group Icon

I love reading about these things, make the game becomes increasingly more immersive for the player.

When these pages are created I would like to participate contributing to expand the lore of ROTR universe.

--------------------

You already imagined how would be SAP in the ROTR's universe? Check out this fan-fiction: South American Pact Introduction

+Quote Post
Svea Rike
post 16 May 2013, 12:24
Post #160

Group Icon

QUOTE (MARS @ 16 May 2013, 11:53) *
Of course. I've noticed that there's a page for the Battle of Ramsgate already and anyone willing to write a more in-depth, quasi-historical account can give it a shot; if it fits, I might declare it as canon. The Battle of Kurmuk would deserve such coverage as well, considering the implications it had. The whole thing could be inspired by Wikipedia pages on real battles, infobox and all. Beyond that, I've already said that fan-fiction that fits our idea of the setting can also be declared canon and added to the wiki in the right presentation.

Heh, I added that page, to try and see if I could write about it, but it turned out I am not that good in writing about battles when I do not know the premise and actual course of the battle, since the updates only tell them from a soldier's point of view. I tried to make it a wikipedia-esque article based on the Battle of the Bulge, however the infobox only had unit info, not participants, strengths and so on.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MARS
post 16 May 2013, 12:58
Post #161

Group Icon

I suppose I could drop you some details to work with. They weren't specifically stated in the story itself but the Wiki can also contain some independent fluff of its own.

Battle of Ramsgate - Part of the Russian invasion of the United Kingdom - Part of the Russo-European War - Part of the Third World War

September 1, 2047

Amphibious landing of Russian forces at the coast of England.
The main landings occured at a narrow front between the towns of Ramsgate and Kingsdown. Elements of the Second and Third Shock Division landed at Ramsgate and Kingsdown.
Regular Russian Army and Russian Navy infantry, supported by amphibious vehicles, landed along the main coastline between the towns. These could also include limited armoured elements of Zhukov's 20th Guards Army.
The ground element was supported by the Russian Airforce - including regular aviation with Berkuts and Frogfoots and Aleksandr's 'special' aviation with PAK-FAs.
A large armada of Il-76s dropped VDV airborne forces and Spetsnaz (presumably with light vehicle support) further in land to drive a wedge between the British coastal defenders and their reinforcements.
The skirmishes in and around Ramsgate occured between 05:12 and 07:25 which also appears to be the timeframe of the operation itself. The landing was a massive failure due to Aleksandr's flawed strategies and the inability of his arrogant Shock Divisions to work effectively alongside the regular Army/Navy. Naval bombardment was limited because Aleksandr believed that his troops would simply plow through. He and his troops also seem to underestimate the tenacity of the enemy, to the point where a bayonet charge legitimately surprised them.
The defence consisted of the British Army, the Royal Airforce and the Royal Navy - led by the HMS Thunderchild battlecruiser - and a Spanish fleet element in the Channel under the command of one Admiral Garcia.

+Quote Post
Svea Rike
post 16 May 2013, 16:34
Post #162

Group Icon

I guess I have to work with creating battle articles some more, as I am almost no good at writing them. I guess MARS could edit any necesseties on the page.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Svea Rike
post 16 May 2013, 18:45
Post #163

Group Icon

I don't know if it was a troll, but someone wrote strange additions to the Mortar Track page (http://generalsrotr.wikia.com/wiki/Supply_Track) and the WASP hive. I edited the WASP hive so it doesn't look bad anymore (seriously, he had wrote "like black ops 2 but better" in the unit description box). I haven't edited the Mortar Track so you can see.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MARS
post 16 May 2013, 19:38
Post #164

Group Icon

Just remove anything that looks like garbage. Shouldn't be too hard to tell.
Also, the stuff I wrote for the Ramsgate article was in no way intended to BE the article; it's just a bunch of cliff notes for whoever wants to write a serious account of the events.

+Quote Post
Svea Rike
post 16 May 2013, 19:56
Post #165

Group Icon

QUOTE (MARS @ 16 May 2013, 20:38) *
Also, the stuff I wrote for the Ramsgate article was in no way intended to BE the article; it's just a bunch of cliff notes for whoever wants to write a serious account of the events.

Oh. Well... I guess I can make something out of it...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Talonek
post 16 May 2013, 21:19
Post #166

Group Icon

I'll make a battle unitbox to use on pages such as these.

+Quote Post
Talonek
post 16 May 2013, 21:26
Post #167

Group Icon

QUOTE (swedishplayer-97 @ 16 May 2013, 12:45) *
I don't know if it was a troll, but someone wrote strange additions to the Mortar Track page (http://generalsrotr.wikia.com/wiki/Supply_Track) and the WASP hive. I edited the WASP hive so it doesn't look bad anymore (seriously, he had wrote "like black ops 2 but better" in the unit description box). I haven't edited the Mortar Track so you can see.

Looking at some of their other posts, it appears to be trolling. I'll block him if it gets worse or continues.

+Quote Post
Svea Rike
post 17 May 2013, 14:10
Post #168

Group Icon

Hey MARS, got any lore for the superweapons?

EDIT: I also wondered if on general-specific units such as the Han, should we write "Affiliation: Special Weapons General in 2.0 Only" or just "Special Weapons General Mau" or something like that?

This post has been edited by swedishplayer-97: 17 May 2013, 14:15

--------------------

+Quote Post
MARS
post 17 May 2013, 14:22
Post #169

Group Icon

I'll give you a few pointers to work with.

Chinese Nuke: Already has a decent lore portion
Solaris: See update info on Solaris. A thing that might be noteworthy is the fact that Solaris was not initially meant to be used as a weapon. The Russians claimed otherwise and during the war, the ECA proved them right out of necessity.
Particle Cannon: The ground structure actually contains a particle accelerator which fires a beam into space which is redirected onto the target by two satellites. In lore, it acts as a tactical weapon, but also as a US/NAU missile shield and possible defence against asteroids.
Scud Storm: Basically just a fancy name for a bunch of Scud missiles on a launch pad. The missiles are scraped together from various half-maintained stockpiles around the world, including those of Iran, Iraq, Kazakhstan, Syria, Libya, North Korea and Congo, presumably.
Tremor AGAS: Designed as a long range ballistic cannon - basically a super-sized stationary version of the Soviet Pion/Malka or WW2 era railway guns - that is used for massed bombardment in preperation of a ground assault. Lore-wise, the system is capable of firing HE, nuclear and chemical shells but the Russians refrain from using unconventional payloads for political reasons and because they don't want to pollute the land they'll be trying to capture moments after the barrage is over.

As for the other question, the simple version (i.e. option two) should suffice.

+Quote Post
Svea Rike
post 17 May 2013, 14:32
Post #170

Group Icon

Thanks MARS. I'd also like to hear opinion on the Han Gunship I just edited. Does the tactics, counter-tactics look good?: http://generalsrotr.wikia.com/wiki/Han_Gunship

--------------------

+Quote Post
__CrUsHeR
post 17 May 2013, 15:57
Post #171

Group Icon

QUOTE (MARS @ 17 May 2013, 10:22) *
I'll give you a few pointers to work with.

Tremor AGAS: Designed as a long range ballistic cannon - basically a super-sized stationary version of the Soviet Pion/Malka or WW2 era railway guns - that is used for massed bombardment in preperation of a ground assault. Lore-wise, the system is capable of firing HE, nuclear and chemical shells but the Russians refrain from using unconventional payloads for political reasons and because they don't want to pollute the land they'll be trying to capture moments after the barrage is over.

I imagine these shells falling on the Pentagon, and worst of all is that no countermeasure should be effective against it and according to the official lore Russia has several Tremors spread across their territory and use them indiscriminately, the USA should have a great headache with weapons of mass destruction of Russia in ROTR.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MARS
post 17 May 2013, 16:37
Post #172

Group Icon

Well unlike an ICBM, the Tremor would not have worldwide range cos that'd be impossible with a shell-based weapon but if the Russians had one on, say, Cuba (which they haven't), the US would have a reason to worry.
The Tremor's range could be comparable to that of an SRBM like the Iskander, tops.

+Quote Post
Svea Rike
post 17 May 2013, 16:51
Post #173

Group Icon

I just noticed that there's a Frozen Front arcticle. Should we add articles on every map, and if so, should it contain strategies and stuff? Maybe some background info on the map?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pepo
post 17 May 2013, 16:58
Post #174

Group Icon

Member No.: 9862

QUOTE (swedishplayer-97 @ 17 May 2013, 15:32) *
Thanks MARS. I'd also like to hear opinion on the Han Gunship I just edited. Does the tactics, counter-tactics look good?: http://generalsrotr.wikia.com/wiki/Han_Gunship

Look good for me wink.gif the only thing i would say is fixing the links

One thing about the wiki:could be navigation charts aded to make navigation easier?i mean the charts like:
Eca(link)
Units:etc...
Buildings:etc...
Generals:etc...

This post has been edited by Pepo: 17 May 2013, 17:04

+Quote Post
SpiralSpectre
post 17 May 2013, 17:37
Post #175

Group Icon

Member No.: 8905
Loves guessing games

QUOTE (swedishplayer-97 @ 17 May 2013, 21:51) *
I just noticed that there's a Frozen Front arcticle. Should we add articles on every map, and if so, should it contain strategies and stuff? Maybe some background info on the map?

If you ask me that would me really cool. But that's just my personal opinion.

And can anyone update the Russian unit lore sections with info from this post (given it's fine to do so)?

http://forums.swr-productions.com/index.ph...ost&p=64253

I would do it myself but right now I am kinda too tired to properly string words together. :S

+Quote Post

25 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24 April 2024 - 4:13