Reply to this topicStart new topic
Can't Survive against the Evil Dr.Thrax on Hard challenge, same as above
RodentDung
post 10 Oct 2015, 22:36
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 12192

I set the game to hard and have struggled like a raccoon making a grab for someone's ice cream cone but can't survive the dead Dr. Thrax vehicle rush that he seems to have a fetish for. He sends in a horde of annoying crap just as he gets all those missile and rocket buggies that can light up my base from long distance. I've tried as both Ironside and the blond Alexander but always got wiped at the same point.

As Ironside, I tried going both tanks in a few tries and airforce in a few tries and both tanks & aircraft. All were equal disasters. I tried watching youtube videos of people going against Thrax but the sissies always set it to medium so Thrax doesn't attack them. The problem with Ironside is his tanks are too weak to destroy Thrax's vehicles. I've had tanks driving around in circles to avoid the toxin and fire constantly at the toxin trucks but can't destroy them but Iron's tanks are killed in one shot by both missiles and rockets. I tried the Mammoth tanks in one game they were destroyed instantly without killing a single enemy so that was an epic waste of money and GP. With the regular Iron tanks, I put on either a repair drone or one of the anti-tank boomerang drones on each and reserved my tanks behind the turrets to rush out against the missile trucks. Problem is, after my tanks start their attack run out from my hard-pressed turret line, they immediately are hosed down with toxins and the missiles destroy them instantly so my tanks fail to even destroy a single enemy vehicle. At least my bombers were trading one bomber for one vehicle, though that too is lame considering I'm not flying into AA defended territory cause the SAM sites are taken out earlier by the A10 command center strikes.

As Alexander I tried using the previously almighty Aurora Alpha which helped a fair bit but it's so badly nerfed in Shockwave that they get shot down so often and use up all my money and they are far too weak to attack enemy bases in nerfed form. Alex has decent armored vehicles and infantry but they would all be massacred before getting to the Thrax missile and rocket buggies. The Aurora only barely equals Iron's turrets for defense but are only a temporary relief before Thrax puts in his main attack which I've never once stopped cause he spews toxins and missiles all over the airport once my turrets are blown up the suicide bomber trucks. Also the oil derrick gets suicide bombed early too despite have turrets placed around it for protection.

As both Iron & Alex, I reserved 3 GP for the A10s to be able to hit the Scud and to take out the SAM sites on my side of the river cause they make a turkey shoot of the Auroras. I don't see any other way to damage the deadly Scud site. Auroras are guaranteed suicidal to send anywhere over the river so a strike on the Scud site would cost 4 Auroras at a price of $10,000 and leave my base undefended for about 5 minutes. I can't use infantry to defend cause the toxin kills them all instantly even with the ineffective chem suit upgrade.
av-7.gif
Is there any way to beat the evil Thrax with Alex or Iron I wonder?? I want to stay on Hard level because I was able to beat the tank freak and the camouflaged terrorist on that level, only the deadly Thrax is unbeatable (so far).

--------------------
"In war you ought to always love your enemy, for without your enemy, there would be no war."
RodentDung
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kommandant Karis...
post 11 Oct 2015, 14:24
Post #2

Platoon 7, Gallian militia
Group Icon

Member No.: 10697
never go full tumblr

Townes makes pretty much every general a breeze (or at least significantly easier). Laser turret walls OP. Also Railguns.

Also, be sure to get some forward stealth detection to keep Jarmen away from your Dozers and Railguns. But I get the feeling you knew that part already.

UAV Strikes are good against buildings and impossible to intercept. Perfect for flipping the bird to Thrax's AA nets.

This post has been edited by Kommandant Karisse: 11 Oct 2015, 14:25

--------------------

Props to HoneyBee for the awesome sig!
My YouTube page

+Quote Post
Skitt
post 11 Oct 2015, 16:29
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 10811
Aut vincere aut mori, Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui, De duobus malis, minus est semper eligendum.

dont build too far forward at the start and dont go past the oil derick to the east for as long as you can.
that way you wont set his attack triggers off and it takes him longer to start to attack, giveing you more time to dig in
hardest general to beet thrax with is stealth.

your two biggest issues are gonna be the aa tanks and the scorge's, so get some aircraft to snipe them as soon as you see them especially the scorge's

on a side note if you chose to do it, you can get burton on the hill to the east of his base move along and with the grenade launcher completely deny him building 1 of his arms dealers, his supply's and palace, but it is a bit of a cheep way to do it as his units cant hit burton up there.

This post has been edited by mr_Skittles: 11 Oct 2015, 16:35

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lobo Solitario
post 11 Oct 2015, 19:40
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 9093

The start is a scramble, but it's usually a case of getting some helicopters if you have them, or bunkering up if not - GLA has it worst here. The main thing it to take out his palace as soon as you can, via general's powers, airstrke or whatever, and keep it suppressed throughout the game. That stops him from throwing too many scuds and other nasty artillery at you, and lets you focus on taking out his factories rather than being constantly tied up trying to keep your defensive line from being overwhelmed. Some well-placed artillery of your own can shred his attacks at the bridges if they aren't supported by scuds.

+Quote Post
RodentDung
post 12 Oct 2015, 2:21
Post #5

Group Icon

Thank you for the replies.
What are UAV strikes?

Some of your advices I've already done regularly such as I don't go past the east derrick and I've tried commanche helicopters as well as various bombers and found the choppers are shot down in less than 30 seconds every time even with a conservative guard placement right over my base to avoid them getting near SAM sites. The only air I haven't tried is the Tornado bomber because I didn't last long enough to get them airborne.

The Burton cheapshot sounds funny. I don't know how you got him so far forward to the hill without getting killed on the way. Did you chinook him in after suppressing or destroying the SAM sites on route?

The advice about suppressing his palace sounds good. I didn't know he needs that for the deadly missile trucks (called Scourges I think). I will have to scrape and struggle to pay for a Laser superweapon to do that with or maybe the tungsten satellite weapon can do it if it is up to level 3.

Did you find the other GP abilities useful like the infantry & Bradley drops for Westmoreland or the defense pods drop for Alex? After I get the vital tungsten sat strike up to 3 levels or the vital A10 thunderbirds for Westmoreland, then I think there are 3 more points that come up for another skillset. Usually I can't resist the B-52 strike and Air Fuel bomb drop. Something about those feel very right.

--------------------
"In war you ought to always love your enemy, for without your enemy, there would be no war."
RodentDung

+Quote Post
KingKickAss
post 12 Oct 2015, 5:15
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 10786

I have been playing through challenge on hard without using superweapons. Thrax IMO is probably one of the harder generals to beat. Capture and defend your oil derricks. Blowing up those toxin bunkers can bide you some time.

His Arms Dealer to the East and his oil derricks to the north are easy targets to attack. Howitzers/Commanches would be great for stopping his Scourges

+Quote Post
RodentDung
post 12 Oct 2015, 6:20
Post #7

Group Icon

I tried both howitzers and commanches but both were destroyed easily within seconds of deployment. My commanches only lasted a few seconds and were shot down about where my turret line was. I think Thrax uses those heavy trucks with the quad machine guns in the back to kill off choppers. The problem with the howitzers (those tracked vehicles I think Iron has) is their range is tiny so they have to drive right up to the Scourges to get within range so they were badly exposed outside my turret line and destroyed within seconds. I don't think the howitzers' range is any better than a usual tank so probably even tanks are better than them. That's just my experience anyways. The only thing that ever had any effect at slowing Thrax's attacks was the turret line before it was destroyed by bomb trucks and scourges, and the Aurora bombers up until the airfield was destroyed. But I will keep trying. I lost another 5 or 6 times last night. I will try again tonight. ani8b.gif

--------------------
RodentDung

+Quote Post
RodentDung
post 12 Oct 2015, 11:19
Post #8

Group Icon

I lost another 5 or 6 times today. I noticed the Python tank can shoot down any aircraft with one shot even the Stealth bomber and the Python is immune to air strikes so it is probably the terrorists' strongest unit cause only the Patriot defense can stop them. I tried to fly Burton around the edge of the map in a chinook but it was shot down so that was a waste. I also tried using armored units like those drone tanks and humvees but they were immediately destroyed when I sent out a group to attack the rocket and missile trucks at the bridge. I tried building a laser superweapon but my base was destroyed before it activated. And I tried the tungsten strike on his palace but it can't destroy it. Not sure if there is anything left to try. The only so-so attempt I had was using the Auroras to defend but they keep getting shot down and the $2500 each time sucks up all my income so eventually the patriots get blown up and then the airfield and command center are destroyed. I noticed the Pythons attract the air strikes which renders my airforce useless unless I manually target the missile trucks which is painful to do when I'm so busy trying to replace all the destroyed stuff over & over. Maybe I would have more success performing a resurrection ritual over Sun Tzu's grave and hopefully he can come up with a solution.

--------------------
RodentDung

+Quote Post
RodentDung
post 12 Oct 2015, 13:59
Post #9

Group Icon

I won the fight. I lost my airfield early but with patriot AA and infantry I managed to hold out in the back corner of my area until my command center weapons destroyed his palace and scud. Then I made an array of armor and troops and cleared him out. The Enforcer tanks are fairly good so I put them with Humvees filled with marines and RPG guys plus repair vehicles. Now I only have to fight the deadly Tigress next and it's only fight #3 in Alex's campaign.

--------------------
RodentDung

+Quote Post
Kommandant Karis...
post 12 Oct 2015, 14:13
Post #10

Platoon 7, Gallian militia
Group Icon

Member No.: 10697
never go full tumblr

Late, but the UAV Strike is one of General Townes's support powers. It calls in bombers to hit a specific target, and as I stated earlier, it's impossible to intercept. So all that anti-air is basically useless against it.

But congrats on beating him :D

This post has been edited by Kommandant Karisse: 12 Oct 2015, 14:14

--------------------

Props to HoneyBee for the awesome sig!
My YouTube page

+Quote Post
RodentDung
post 12 Oct 2015, 18:08
Post #11

Group Icon

Okay. I've never played as the laser Townes general. Probably cause I prefer the beauty and honesty of projectile weaponry. I was struggling to figure out UAV because it means Unmanned Aerial Vehicle and the only ones I knew of are the drones that build on armored vehicles. I'm not looking forward to getting beaten senseless by the Tigress next. Her beauty is not enough to compensate for the dreaded earthshake.

--------------------
RodentDung

+Quote Post
(USA)Bruce
post 12 Oct 2015, 18:15
Post #12

The Forums American Hotshot Flyboy
Group Icon

Group: Tester
From: The foundation of modern freedom and Liberty;United States of America.
Member No.: 9500

Hey RodentDung I can help coach you for this and any other challenge you may like.It would be better then me writing a four page step by step stratagey guide.

--------------------

+Quote Post
RodentDung
post 12 Oct 2015, 19:30
Post #13

Group Icon

Thanks but I got it figured out now. I'm gonna try all the generals and figure out how to win with them all. I've read the Tank general is the hardest to win with. That seems odd considering he has that deadly Emperor tank with the miniguns on it.

--------------------
RodentDung

+Quote Post
RodentDung
post 12 Oct 2015, 19:55
Post #14

Group Icon

Okay so the Tigress destroyed my base with the earthshake as expected. Do you build a second base on the other side of the bridge? She's got tanks and a big pillbox working that area. I was trying to reduce the enemy base on the cliff above but the sentinel turrets are almost immune to Auroras and the two in the back shot down two Auroras on one pass. Seems clear that airforce is not the answer in this battle. I bombed the Gaia building with 4 Auroras and did a little over 50% damage but the evil building repaired itself right after and all 4 Auroras were shot down. Saving up for lasers might help but the earthshake will destroy them inevitably. I guess the only answer is a 2nd base so one base becomes a sacrifice to the evil Gaia.

--------------------
RodentDung

+Quote Post
(USA)Bruce
post 12 Oct 2015, 20:30
Post #15

The Forums American Hotshot Flyboy
Group Icon

Group: Tester
From: The foundation of modern freedom and Liberty;United States of America.
Member No.: 9500

QUOTE ((USA)Bruce @ 12 Oct 2015, 20:15) *
Hey RodentDung I can help coach you for this and any other challenge you may like.It would be better then me writing a four page step by step stratagey guide.

^Offers still there
Add me on skype
Raptor_loving_Bruce

--------------------

+Quote Post
RodentDung
post 12 Oct 2015, 23:48
Post #16

Group Icon

I doubt I could ever beat the Tigress in a fight unless there is a way to knock out the gaia early. I tried the Nuke China general and I beat the laser Townes and almost survived the deadly Thrax but I think I can beat Thrax with nuke next time cause it is a stronger faction and has good artillery strikes.

--------------------
RodentDung

+Quote Post
RodentDung
post 12 Oct 2015, 23:50
Post #17

Group Icon

QUOTE (RodentDung @ 12 Oct 2015, 23:48) *
I doubt I could ever beat the Tigress in a fight unless there is a way to knock out the gaia early. I tried the Nuke China general and I beat the laser Townes and almost survived the deadly Thrax but I think I can beat Thrax with nuke next time cause it is a stronger faction and has good artillery strikes.

--------------------
RodentDung

+Quote Post
RodentDung
post 12 Oct 2015, 23:51
Post #18

Group Icon

Sorry my post got really screwed up cause it didn't post properly. I set Nuke general to hard as usual for the campaign and I think it will go well because China has the wonderful hackers for making money and good command support strikes.

--------------------
RodentDung

+Quote Post
Lobo Solitario
post 13 Oct 2015, 16:04
Post #19

Group Icon

Member No.: 9093

Sorry, afraid it's been a long time since I last beat Leang on hard difficulty. All I can offer is some general advice from what I remember -

A) The first two-thirds of the map, up to Leang's base, are pretty lightly defended, and you need to expand into them ASAP and spread your base across the whole area. The sooner you break out of your base area and start building elsewhere, the sooner the pressure lets up

B ) This first part can be looked at almost like a puzzle - learn exactly what obstacles you are going to face through repeated tries, and fine-tune a strategy to overcome them as efficiently and quickly as possible

C) Once you've got your base spread out across the map, the rest is just a case of persistence and making sure you have a bit of redundancy in your buildings and economy in case of superweapon strikes

D) Leang's base features a lot of redundancy itself, with multiple command centres and constant dozer production, so it's pretty tough to land a knockout blow on her. It's going to take a vicious brawl backed up by plenty of superweapons or general's powers to grind it down - anything you blow up which you don't secure with your own forces, you can be sure will be rebuilt within short order

On a side note, I'm pretty sure I remember that your starting area gets attacked by artillery from the cliffs to the north at some point, so be prepared for that, on top of the air attacks and earthquake cannon. It may be worth losing some aircraft to clear the artillery units out, as I'm pretty sure they won't be replaced once they're gone.

This post has been edited by Lobo Solitario: 13 Oct 2015, 16:09

+Quote Post
RodentDung
post 13 Oct 2015, 17:40
Post #20

Group Icon

Lobo, that's good advice. I can see what you mean with expanding. There's an area across the bridge that should be good once bombers have cleared those strong bunkers overlooking the road and knocked off the roving armor. That first area the player starts in can be completely destroyed by one Gaia strike so a second base and more are vital to survival.

On the cliff above the first base are hammer arty units which are defended by Sentinel gatlings so they need bombing like you advised. I counted 3 gatling turrets up there which is very expensive to clear with bombers because they cull 1 or 2 bombers per pass and each Sentinel requires 3 or 4 payloads to be destroyed. One Aurora payload seems to do 1/3 damage to a turret. I feel like I am throwing brand new Lamborghini Gallardos at mass-produced chinese buildings but that is all I can do to reduce the position.

Her northern base is a massive complex. At least it will feel good to drop in some super destruction on that giant collection of nastiness. I think fighting Tigress as Alexander is a better chance than using the Nuke general because I don't think his planes are strong enough to clear the cliff area and his nukes will take too long with the Gaia wiping them out so the Auroras are the (expensive) way to go from what I've experienced. I will miss having hackers though.

--------------------
RodentDung

+Quote Post
RodentDung
post 13 Oct 2015, 19:19
Post #21

Group Icon

Oh man this is a mess. I managed to start up a 2nd base across the river but it was constantly under fire from Grinder arty and Gatling tanks so she out-ranged my troops and Patriot defending and the gatlings were shooting down my Auroras but I managed to hold out briefly but then the earthshake smashed my first base which shut off the power and then all hope was lost as a fleet of a dozen or more gunships sprayed my surviving troops and buildings into oblivion with no active Patriots able to defend. The area across the river has a deadly weakness in that it won't allow me to build an airbase to replace the one due to be hit by the Gaia in the first base. I tried building Commanches to replace the lost Auroras but they were instantaneously shot down by the Gatling tanks so that was only a waste of money. I had my barracks making Marines and RPGs non-stop and rally pointed them across the river to entertain the badguys with a stream of fun targets to shoot at while I desperately tried to survive.

I guess the only thing to do is to make a few power plants across the river to prepare for the power outage caused by Gaia. Not sure about the Gatling tank spam by the Tigress because they shut down air support completely and the sadistic Tigress has them backed up with infantry and various armored riffraff, and the cheapshot Grinders pop away from the cliff above the road spewing those airburst canister rounds like rain over my troops giving the battlefield a gloomy London feel. As for tanks, Alex only has that spindly tripod drone thingy which belongs in a glassware display not on a battlefield and it's too early to have a GP for the one tank she can get (Enforcer I think it is) cause I need to horde GPs for the Tungsten strike to combine with a full Aurora bombing of her brutal Gaia building to have a tiny chance of destroying that very evil place. But I need an airfield with four still-living Auroras on it which is like wishing for a Gallardo while you are living on welfare support.
mindfuck.gif

--------------------
RodentDung

+Quote Post
RodentDung
post 14 Oct 2015, 2:20
Post #22

Group Icon

And one thing that helped a bit was putting a firebase at the base of the cliff with troops in it so it fired on enemy units on top and it provided a temporary defense against the chopper horde that swarmed my base twice in conjunction with a ground attack towards the bridge area but it was destroyed by the choppers which at least took some heat off the patriots trying to defend my base from the choppers. And I think having a stream of troops heading over the bridge helps a lot to engage the enemy to cause some damage and prevent the 2nd base from being overrun in its infancy. I considered putting in an infantry attack against the cliff overtop the road to clear the Grinders from it but I reckoned it would only turn into a dismal repeat of Gallipoli and fail.

--------------------
RodentDung

+Quote Post
RodentDung
post 14 Oct 2015, 9:33
Post #23

Group Icon

I don't know how to survive against Leung. The earthshock shuts off the power even when I have a 2nd sorta base on the other side of fhe river and then she swarms me with armor and choppers when I have no patriots active. The few weak ground units I can make have no chance plus the Grinder Cannon on the cliff destroys all the buildings within range. I tried making more power plants but it makes no difference cause the earthshock shuts off everything everywhere and I get wiped out within a minute by the brutal swarm of armor, troops, choppers, cannon and jets. Also her choppers can shut off patriots so they don't even defend in any case. I shouldn't be making Patriots. Only make laser trucks, firebases and enforcer tanks. It is very expensive and less effective cause the laser trucks are $1800 and take quite awhile to shoot down a single chopper. So I would need at least 6 to 8 laser trucks to survive a chopper swarm assuming they aren't been destroyed by armor on the ground. She has a lot of armor. There was so much red armor in my 2nd base that I couldn't even move my few units in the few moments of life they had left cause of the enemy traffic jam. This makes Thrax seem like a kindergarten class by comparison.

This post has been edited by RodentDung: 14 Oct 2015, 9:39

--------------------
RodentDung

+Quote Post
KingKickAss
post 14 Oct 2015, 18:22
Post #24

Group Icon

Member No.: 10786

Leang gives you a little bit of prep time before her attack wave. Build Avengers and expand east with them as the AA defense(Units are better off against Blacksharks). Her Blacksharks will always go to the east base instead. Use the east base as your area for building all your units and such. Your main base is a cramped area and could just be used to store powerplants and such. I'm pretty sure she only uses the Earthshaker once.

Capturing the tech buildings can be very handy and could hold off some of her ground forces. Enforcers are a good way of dealing with those Hammer cannons. For most of the match, just expand to the entire area before her base. Capture her abandoned command center(bring the AA up of course) and build her AA along the pathway behind it(Also get the damage upgrade for them). As far as attacking her actual base. She rebuilds constantly and doesn't seem to run out of money so after you have cleared her side of the bridge, start putting some defenses up. Search & Destroy would be very good for attacking her base. I like to take my forces east in her base, push up and then sweep right to left. If you can knock out her command centers and dozers, it will be a hell of a lot easier. You could do a suicide attack with a horde of Auroras but then you would have to hunt down her dozers.

Also watch out for this nasty glitch. If a Blackshark dies over her hedge maze, it will keep spinning on the ground and kill anything that gets very close to it.

Good luck.

If you are actually playing Laser instead of SW. Kind of the same thing without the Enforcers or Auroras. The general tactic works for any team.

This post has been edited by KingKickAss: 14 Oct 2015, 18:24

+Quote Post
RodentDung
post 14 Oct 2015, 18:50
Post #25

Group Icon

Yeah I can see what you mean about the AA. I think I will make a lot of laser trucks (Avengers I think) instead of Patriots so they can move over the bridge to protect the new area with some Enforcer tanks. I also need to scrap the barrel for a laser superweapon to help with the Gaia suppression along with the Tungsten strike. I think the battle for the new area will be an ugly grind. Maybe Tomahawks will help but I haven't used them yet except once against her bunkers but maybe Tomahawk trucks can help get rid of the insidious Grinder Cannon on top of the cliff but I dunno cause the description for Tomahawks says weak against armor and vehicles. The main thing for me is keeping the Gaia out of action so I can retain my drop zones cause the supply dump across the river is covered by enemy Gatling Tanks that rove through there non-stop so the supply choppers have no chance. I think I'll not make an airbase in the beginning cause it used up too many dollars replacing the Gallardos... I mean Auroras.

Where is the abandoned command center and tech buildings to be captured? If they are further towards the center that will be an ugly slugfest to get through to there. She's got a steady stream of combined arms moving through there.

--------------------
RodentDung

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29 March 2024 - 0:30