Reply to this topicStart new topic
Version 2.0 General Selection
T@nk 3unker
post 16 Aug 2018, 15:42
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 10483

Yo, guys. Been following ROTR for 6 years and i caught a glimpse of the scrapped generals content here. Will ROTR basically follow/replicate that format in choosing the Generals?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Maelstrom
post 16 Aug 2018, 16:02
Post #2

The owner of the 1st legit (and signed) CD of ShockWave
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 9941

QUOTE (T@nk 3unker @ 16 Aug 2018, 16:42) *
Yo, guys. Been following ROTR for 6 years and i caught a glimpse of the scrapped generals content here. Will ROTR basically follow/replicate that format in choosing the Generals?

it will be exactly like this yeah

--------------------

My Soundcloud profile: right here

+Quote Post
Shiro
post 17 Aug 2018, 0:26
Post #3

Gamer Girl
Group Icon

Group: Legend
Member No.: 182
Friendly Freelancer

To elaborate: at the start of a match after you choose your faction, you select your Command Center or equivalent and then select one of the 3 Generals of your faction, then you get your builder unit and start as usual. Each faction has no "base" version this way, and while the Generals share some basic things, most of them have fairly diverse arrangements of buildings and units, not as much as ShockWave, but certainly more than ZH. And no, there will be none of this "The Airfarce General has no tanks." kinda nonsense.

+Quote Post
lighter285
post 17 Aug 2018, 5:59
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 15029

It all sounds great, but I thought that we will still be able to choose before the game starts at all, for example between USA Air Force and USA Laser, and when the game starts the Generals chosen determine variations in the General promotion awards. For example if USA Air Force is chosen, one General could have supersonic bombers to call in as an ability while another can have slower but stronger and deadlier bombers.

+Quote Post
Mizo
post 17 Aug 2018, 10:52
Post #5

AI Coding Expert
Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 10450

The only thing you will be choosing is your faction, and the generals will be ingame. Each of them will bring quiet a bit of new stuff be it upgrades, units or GPs.

Think of it like the Doctrine system in company of heroes 1.

--------------------

Not a Rusty Spoon........The_Hunter uses a goddamn wooden spoon on his AI Scripters....

+Quote Post
JoshBon007
post 6 Nov 2018, 16:33
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 12434

I prefer to packed all generals into 1 faction, for example china generals: nuclear, infantery, tank mixed into one faction (China). That's better i think.

+Quote Post
(USA)Bruce
post 6 Nov 2018, 18:15
Post #7

The Forums American Hotshot Flyboy
Group Icon

Group: Tester
From: The foundation of modern freedom and Liberty;United States of America.
Member No.: 9500

QUOTE (JoshBon007 @ 6 Nov 2018, 18:33) *
I prefer to packed all generals into 1 faction, for example china generals: nuclear, infantery, tank mixed into one faction (China). That's better i think.

There will 5 factions and you can pick the general each time you start the game.
Also China doesn't have those generals

--------------------

+Quote Post
Neutrino
post 7 Nov 2018, 12:17
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 9633

Suppose I dont choose a general at first. What units/gps will be available? The units/abilities common to all generals?

This post has been edited by Neutrino: 7 Nov 2018, 12:18

--------------------
"How about we sing "Kyle's Mom is a Stupid Bitch" in D minor..."

+Quote Post
NikCaputnic
post 7 Nov 2018, 17:12
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 12315

QUOTE (Neutrino @ 7 Nov 2018, 14:17) *
Suppose I dont choose a general at first. What units/gps will be available? The units/abilities common to all generals?

You can't "do not choose a general": when a match starts, the moment your CC appears, you will be given 3 general to choose from, and only after choosing one, your CC will provide you a builder-unit with the respected arsenal of that general.
(At least that was a plan.)

+Quote Post
Maelstrom
post 7 Nov 2018, 20:02
Post #10

Group Icon

QUOTE (NikCaputnic @ 7 Nov 2018, 17:12) *
You can't "do not choose a general": when a match starts, the moment your CC appears, you will be given 3 general to choose from, and only after choosing one, your CC will provide you a builder-unit with the respected arsenal of that general.
(At least that was a plan.)

It is still the plan.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Neutrino
post 12 Nov 2018, 14:42
Post #11

Group Icon

But then what makes this kind of selection different from choosing a general before the beginning of the game?

--------------------

+Quote Post
NikCaputnic
post 12 Nov 2018, 18:12
Post #12

Group Icon

Member No.: 12315

QUOTE (Neutrino @ 12 Nov 2018, 16:42) *
But then what makes this kind of selection different from choosing a general before the beginning of the game?

Before the match, you only choose your side (Russia, China, etc), and select your general only after the match begins. Which means that you, and your opponent, will only know what is the opponent's side, and so, what are opponents' common advantages and disadvantages.
But neither of you will know what exactly opponent's strategy will be revolving around, just until seeing your opponent's special units. And because generals have common nation-based strategy-directions, yet have different specificities, and so, different (sometimes vastly) tactical possibilities, it is harder to predict possible counters you both may set against each other.

An element of unpredictability, and so, thrill and diversity. You can see something like that in the current test-built already, when playing against the AI: at the start, it randomly chooses its play style: for example, Russian AI may rely on tanks and artillery in the next match you will see a ton of conscripts and helis, and USA attacks you with cobras and raptors, while the next round is veteran green berrets and rangers.

(Though, I suppose it won't be so exciting for people who want to play against specific AI opponent, because it won't be possible to choose the exact one you want to play against. Just my opinion though.)

This post has been edited by NikCaputnic: 12 Nov 2018, 18:27

+Quote Post
Neutrino
post 13 Nov 2018, 21:39
Post #13

Group Icon

I understand this but I mean its no different than choosing your general before the start of the game.

Isnt it more interesting to have all the units/upgrades/genpoints common to all generals of some faction available and then choosing your specific general depending on how the game progresses?
In this way it'll be more similar to the doctrines mechanic of company of heroes.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Maelstrom
post 13 Nov 2018, 22:41
Post #14

Group Icon

It is also a technical problem with Gentools.
If the generals selection menu has more than 12 options, when a game ends and you had, say 13th option general in game, Gentools will crash. Replays could not be uploaded either. This problem has already been seen in ShockWave.
So in the current setup order (USA, China, GLA, Russia, ECA), considering 3 generals per faction, each time a player uses ECA in-game, game will crash for everyone using Gentools.

--------------------

+Quote Post
{Lads}RikerZZZ
post 14 Nov 2018, 0:16
Post #15

Certified Shitposter
Group Icon

Group: Tester
Member No.: 10248
pls join my games im lonely =c

So not only will it crash the game if youw ant to play with anti-cheat, but you can also not choose what general you want to play against when vsing the ai?

Why are we using this system again? Its such a downgrade compared the normal general selection system, and I have a feeling reasons like that are why it was cut from development originally.

--------------------

Many thanks to IvanMRM for my avatar and Star for drawing my epic signature. You guys rock!
Join our Discord Server for a great community and plenty of games and memes!
Also, check out our ROTR - Fan group on Facebook.

+Quote Post
Arc
post 14 Nov 2018, 7:10
Post #16

"Filthy" Casual
Group Icon

Member No.: 10666
One does not simply suggest ideas to SWR.

QUOTE ({Lads}RikerZZZ @ 14 Nov 2018, 9:16) *
So not only will it crash the game if youw ant to play with anti-cheat, but you can also not choose what general you want to play against when vsing the ai?

Why are we using this system again? Its such a downgrade compared the normal general selection system, and I have a feeling reasons like that are why it was cut from development originally.

I was under the impression that the normal generals selection system is the one that CRASHES, not this one.

+Quote Post
Mizo
post 14 Nov 2018, 8:02
Post #17

AI Coding Expert
Group Icon

QUOTE ({Lads}RikerZZZ @ 14 Nov 2018, 0:16) *

Gentools crashes when therr are more than 12+playable factions. Also, it isn't really easy to set up AI scripts for every single general above 12 selectable *factions* hence why its like this.

--------------------

Not a Rusty Spoon........The_Hunter uses a goddamn wooden spoon on his AI Scripters....

+Quote Post
Neutrino
post 14 Nov 2018, 16:40
Post #18

Group Icon

What I meant is: is it possible to select a general like an upgrade from CC? So basically in your CC, you get the builder that allows you to build all structures and to train basic units, but also you have 3 buttons as upgrades which unlock all the generals powers/units/uprages of the generals you chose.

IIRC the mod "the end of days" has a similar mechanic.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mizo
post 14 Nov 2018, 19:24
Post #19

AI Coding Expert
Group Icon

QUOTE (Neutrino @ 14 Nov 2018, 16:40) *
What I meant is: is it possible to select a general like an upgrade from CC? So basically in your CC, you get the builder that allows you to build all structures and to train basic units, but also you have 3 buttons as upgrades which unlock all the generals powers/units/uprages of the generals you chose.

IIRC the mod "the end of days" has a similar mechanic.

It's gonna be very similar to that yes. The Generals being picked are technically upgrades akin to ECA protocols.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Shiro
post 15 Nov 2018, 0:53
Post #20

Gamer Girl
Group Icon

Group: Legend
Member No.: 182
Friendly Freelancer

It's really simple:
-you select your faction
-the game starts
-you click your Command Center or equivalent
-you Choose Your General
-you get your builder unit and start

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28 March 2024 - 9:27