IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Thyme, a Generals ZH reimplementation project.
Blade
post 11 Jan 2017, 16:14
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 14208

I've just pushed the beginings of a Zero Hour reimplementation project to https://github.com/TheAssemblyArmada/Thyme if anyone is interested in contributing to such a project.

The project is using a similar approach to the one recently used successfully by the OpenRCT2 project. That is, the reimplementation is initially being implemented as a dll that is injected into the game run time that replaces the games functions with new implementations as they are written, allowing it to be reimplemented a bit at a time.

I've already reimplemented the custom memory allocator the game uses as well as a couple of string classes.

Its very early days for the project, but if anyone has some C++ knowledge and is interested in getting involved, drop by the #thyme channel on freenode.net IRC. When some significant progress has been made it should become possible to fix engine bugs and add additional features to the game.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Shiro
post 11 Jan 2017, 16:32
Post #2

Gamer Girl
Group Icon

Group: Legend
Member No.: 182
Friendly Freelancer

Hello there, I saw your project on another forum already. It's nice that you are attempting this.

Also welcome to the forum. Please read the rules and have fun.

+Quote Post
Blade
post 11 Jan 2017, 17:00
Post #3

Group Icon

Thanks, this is definitely one of those long haul things as the game has a lot of functions that need to be reimplemented, but you got to start somewhere smile.gif Fingers crossed I can see it through to the end.

+Quote Post
(USA)Bruce
post 11 Jan 2017, 18:20
Post #4

The Forums American Hotshot Flyboy
Group Icon

Group: Tester
From: The foundation of modern freedom and Liberty;United States of America.
Member No.: 9500

Blade I cant state how happy I am that your a part of this forum and the work your doing.I saw your project like a few years ago was it?

Its truely inspiring to find people like Hunter still modding the old sage engine but as inspiring to find someone whos coding an engine from scratch.

I just gotta ask, whats the story behind the name?

This post has been edited by (USA)Bruce: 11 Jan 2017, 19:22

--------------------

+Quote Post
Blade
post 12 Jan 2017, 9:22
Post #5

Group Icon

You might be confusing this project with OpenSAGE which was using a top down development strategy while this is bottom up and should be fairly accurate to the original, or perhaps the still unreleased RA++ project which I work on with CCHyper?

Regarding the name, Sage and Thyme are both herbs and Thyme is pronounced the same as time which is a recurring focus of many of the C&C games.

+Quote Post
Jet02
post 15 Jan 2017, 13:00
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 13185

So.... am i correct in assuming that this is an attempt to code a zh clone from scratch? If not, what is it?

And what can we expect from this?

And if it is, are you guys gonna port rotr to it?

This post has been edited by Jet02: 15 Jan 2017, 13:02

+Quote Post
TimeBurner
post 15 Jan 2017, 13:06
Post #7

Motherland's Finest
Group Icon

Member No.: 10454
"We have watched, we have waited, now... we act!"

Whoah! this sounds wonderful. I hope you become successful in the full reconstruction of the engine,if that's what youre doing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Blade
post 15 Jan 2017, 16:49
Post #8

Group Icon

Yeah, this is an attempt to clone the game engine. Once complete, any engine bugs will be theoretically fixable, new features will be easier to add than hacking the binary and it will be possible to port it to other operating systems. Along the way, some bugs may be fixable without needing complete reimplementation.

Regarding rotr, I'm guessing that is a mod? It should just work, no porting needed unless they have their own engine hacks in place already.

+Quote Post
Shiro
post 15 Jan 2017, 17:13
Post #9

Gamer Girl
Group Icon

Group: Legend
Member No.: 182
Friendly Freelancer

This forum is the host for ROTR and other mods. ROTR subforum here, ModDB page here.

+Quote Post
TimeBurner
post 15 Jan 2017, 17:42
Post #10

Motherland's Finest
Group Icon

Member No.: 10454
"We have watched, we have waited, now... we act!"

QUOTE (Blade @ 16 Jan 2017, 0:49) *
Yeah, this is an attempt to clone the game engine. Once complete, any engine bugs will be theoretically fixable, new features will be easier to add than hacking the binary and it will be possible to port it to other operating systems. Along the way, some bugs may be fixable without needing complete reimplementation.

Regarding rotr, I'm guessing that is a mod? It should just work, no porting needed unless they have their own engine hacks in place already.

That would be great in so many different aspects! If I understand correctly,your goal is to make a complete overhaul of the engine,basically updating it so it can support better graphics and remove the current limitations,no?

This post has been edited by TimeBurner: 15 Jan 2017, 17:43

--------------------

+Quote Post
ComradeGeneral
post 15 Jan 2017, 18:17
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 12935

QUOTE (TimeBurner @ 15 Jan 2017, 11:42) *
remove the current limitations,no?

A new Bomb Truck disguise that works for infantry?

--------------------
Shockwave "Good" Balance Mod:
ModDB Page
Latest date: October 3rd, 2017
Update 15 includes a life worth living.

+Quote Post
Blade
post 15 Jan 2017, 22:05
Post #12

Group Icon

Long term, the goal is to make improvements, but even reaching the shorter term goal of just reimplementing the majority of the engine is going to take a long time. I have already made some progress, I've now reimplemented the main function which sets the long version number and does some other house keeping before constructing the actual game engine object, so if you were to build Thyme and run the launcher with the "-fullversion 1" command line argument you would see a new build time on the options screen. It also doesn't require safedisc anymore, so running Thyme would probably be less work than running the game normally on Windows 10, except for the fact no binary versions are currently provided.

+Quote Post
Jet02
post 16 Jan 2017, 10:34
Post #13

Group Icon

I suppose i can make requests here eh?

1. Longer/extendable commandsets
2. More damage types
3. 3+ weapons per unit

Really looking forward to this....keep it up

This post has been edited by Jet02: 16 Jan 2017, 10:36

+Quote Post
Blade
post 16 Jan 2017, 16:53
Post #14

Group Icon

You can make requests, but they might take a long time to get fulfilled. Extending things like weapon counts and damage types will likely be some of the last things that can be changed depending on how they were coded as they will likely require larger data structures in the game. Unfortunately, they can't be resized until everything that uses them is handled by thyme code rather than the original binary because of the piecemeal approach that is being taken to reimplementing the game. The first fixes I'll likely be able to implement are things like logic bugs, where things happen that shouldn't or extend things such as allow changing hard coded values currently not exposed in ini files.

+Quote Post
Skitt
post 16 Jan 2017, 18:32
Post #15

Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 10811
Aut vincere aut mori, Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui, De duobus malis, minus est semper eligendum.

is it posible to be able to make the engine see terrain hights properly with this?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jet02
post 17 Jan 2017, 8:25
Post #16

Group Icon

Can someone pin this topic?

This post has been edited by Jet02: 17 Jan 2017, 8:26

+Quote Post
M.P
post 17 Jan 2017, 11:53
Post #17

Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 10559

More SpecialPower Enums and SpecialPower decal please :3

EDIT: Please, Remove the upgrade limit (You cant have more than 128 upgrades) and the 8 rider cap on bike and bike logic units please.

This post has been edited by M.P: 17 Jan 2017, 11:56

+Quote Post
X1Destroy
post 19 Jan 2017, 17:30
Post #18

Guardsman
Group Icon

Member No.: 9379
Armageddon is here..............

Please make the freaking chemical suit upgrade removable without crashing the game and/or a way to permanently remove the radioactive symbol without using a transparent texture.

This post has been edited by X1Destroy: 19 Jan 2017, 17:31

--------------------
We Die Standing.

+Quote Post
Mizo
post 20 Jan 2017, 1:52
Post #19

AI Coding Expert
Group Icon

Member No.: 10450

Thank you very much for your efforts into this.
One of the things I am frankly sad about is that there will always be issues within the game's engine. I am not talking about limitations but other aspects like game and netcode optimization to reduce lag, allowing the game to perhaps use more of the CPU's power ect..

Does this in anyways allow us to track log files where we can pinpoint causes of crashes and mismatches?

--------------------

Not a Rusty Spoon........The_Hunter uses a goddamn wooden spoon on his AI Scripters....

+Quote Post
Blade
post 20 Jan 2017, 16:17
Post #20

Group Icon

QUOTE (Mizo @ 20 Jan 2017, 0:52) *
Thank you very much for your efforts into this.
One of the things I am frankly sad about is that there will always be issues within the game's engine. I am not talking about limitations but other aspects like game and netcode optimization to reduce lag, allowing the game to perhaps use more of the CPU's power ect..

Does this in anyways allow us to track log files where we can pinpoint causes of crashes and mismatches?

Not yet, though I have added some debug logging, it will only apply to thyme versions of functions, any functions called from the original binary (which is most of them currently) won't have any logging beyond what already exists (crash logs only from the look of it). Better logging will come with time as more functions are thyme functions.

+Quote Post
Jet02
post 20 Jan 2017, 16:19
Post #21

Group Icon

Is there any possibility that this be released before the end of the decade?

+Quote Post
Blade
post 20 Jan 2017, 20:36
Post #22

Group Icon

Its released now, though you have to compile it, but being able to see a different long version number being the only visible difference isn't really going to make it a must download wink.gif

I think you mean when will a useful version come out that does cool stuff? It depends when I find the stuff that controls it, currently I'm looking at boring things like loading files from disk and such, low level stuff. I could probably add extra command line options pretty quick as I have the code for that mapped out.

+Quote Post
(USA)Bruce
post 21 Jan 2017, 3:46
Post #23

The Forums American Hotshot Flyboy
Group Icon

Group: Tester
From: The foundation of modern freedom and Liberty;United States of America.
Member No.: 9500

Im not much of a code guy myself, so if your recreating zero hour....When your done Im guessing putting the mod files for say ROTR wouldnt just magiccly make it work now would it? tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stalker
post 21 Jan 2017, 9:30
Post #24

Group Icon

Member No.: 123

Good luck with your project!

If I get this right, you are calling the original game's functions and step by step replace them with your own? Looks promising.

Also, it's great that you're sharing the code. I hope I'm able to contribute some day.

This post has been edited by Stalker: 21 Jan 2017, 9:30

+Quote Post
Jet02
post 25 Jan 2017, 12:17
Post #25

Group Icon

I was thinking of a "point to control unit in 1st/3rd person" mode a la call to arms but maybe that's a bit too much.

Maybe someone should make a call to arms base building mod instead?

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19 March 2024 - 12:19