IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Thyme, a Generals ZH reimplementation project.
Mizo
post 22 Jan 2018, 17:53
Post #76

AI Coding Expert
Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 10450

Hopefully its not dead :/

--------------------

Not a Rusty Spoon........The_Hunter uses a goddamn wooden spoon on his AI Scripters....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Grim Tuesday
post 23 Jan 2018, 21:16
Post #77

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 11257

QUOTE (Mizo @ 22 Jan 2018, 17:53) *
Hopefully its not dead :/

Not at all. Looking at commits, there was a lot of activity recently (afaik something related to in game scripts).

This post has been edited by Grim Tuesday: 23 Jan 2018, 21:17

--------------------

No technique is forbidden.

+Quote Post
Blade
post 25 Jan 2018, 10:12
Post #78

Group Icon

Member No.: 14208

Its certainly not dead, keep an eye on the branches at https://github.com/OmniBlade/Thyme which is where I prestage different areas I'm working on before merging them into the main repo.

The script stuff is everything but the actual script engine that brings it all together, its was mostly to support the implementation of SidesList. I've also added a hack to allow online play on cnc-online, though there appear to be a few bugs that are causing desyncs that I need to locate and resolve before its actually useable.

Some lulls are due to me either trying to map and understand an area of the game before I try and reimplement it or because I'm working on the sister project RA++ t reimplement the original Red Alert.

+Quote Post
Grim Tuesday
post 25 Jan 2018, 10:55
Post #79

Group Icon

It would be cool, if you could specify the multiplayer server address in game or trough flag. This way we would not need current workaround for mods like swr.net.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Blade
post 25 Jan 2018, 12:52
Post #80

Group Icon

I'd rather not complicate the hack as it currently stands at the moment, but I would like to add the ability to change the servers used for match making in the future. It will require some changes to the gamespy sdk which the game is built against as as it exists currently, the name is hard coded at compile time. For now it would be possible to change the names in the hack (in dllmain.cpp) and build a custom dll that will connect to alternate servers though.

+Quote Post
XoGamer
post 25 Jan 2018, 19:41
Post #81

Tactically Toxic
Group Icon

Member No.: 12634

wait with this, could you fix multiplayer lag/mismatch (make better, ik you can't fix it for sure) or force the game to use more than one core?

+Quote Post
Blade
post 25 Jan 2018, 20:49
Post #82

Group Icon

It will certainly make it possible to start debugging the network issues as we will be able to add more logging as required to try and trace where the desync happened so we can start looking at what we can do about it. Regarding using more cores, that will likely require reworking significant parts of the engine. Using more cores doesn't equal better performing game, we might be able to squeeze more out of a single core by optimising what exists though.

+Quote Post
Mizo
post 26 Jan 2018, 15:31
Post #83

AI Coding Expert
Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 10450

In terms if optimization, have you attempted for that in anyway ( even if its minor).

--------------------

Not a Rusty Spoon........The_Hunter uses a goddamn wooden spoon on his AI Scripters....

+Quote Post
Blade
post 26 Jan 2018, 17:15
Post #84

Group Icon

Not yet, most of the code so far has been related to loading things, it occurs once at load up and is probably more bound by disk io than CPU. Just recompiling with modern compilers could give improvements however, such as being able to compile for SSE/SSE2 instructions instead of the old FPU.

+Quote Post
Zeke
post 11 Feb 2018, 5:34
Post #85

The X General
Group Icon

Group: Project Leader
Member No.: 73
Uniqueness is Overrated

Not sure if this has been asked before (I have a vague feeling that it has), but do you know of this project? https://forums.cncnz.com/topic/21241-first-...sage-published/

And would it be possible for there to be a collaboration between the two of you?

This post has been edited by Zeke: 11 Feb 2018, 5:34

--------------------

+Quote Post
Blade
post 13 Feb 2018, 0:11
Post #86

Group Icon

I've been aware of it for some time, the lead dev has made it clear that he isn't interested in any information gleaned from examining the actual game code, presumably to attempt to keep the project being tainted with possible copyright claims from EA to shut them down, though pratically if EA hit them with a C&D they would not be able to defend it. To me this means he doesn't want any contributors to look at Thyme and thus collaborate at the code level, all I can give is helpful hints.

The approach they are taking is to look at how the game appears to behave and then attempt to write code that mimics that apparent behaviour rather than attempt to write code that is equivalent at the function level. Its like comparing FreeRCT to OpenRCT2 in their approaches.

My personal view is that people work on what they want to work on, but that its a shame that effort ends up being divided and barring legal intervention from EA, that Thyme will end up being playable quicker and be more faithful and compatible with the original games and mods. Then again, Thyme is my project so I'm biased wink.gif Maybe I need to be more evangelical about Thyme, but until I get to a class or feature that I can really sell it on I feel like I would be selling vapourware.

QUOTE (Zeke @ 11 Feb 2018, 4:34) *
Not sure if this has been asked before (I have a vague feeling that it has), but do you know of this project? https://forums.cncnz.com/topic/21241-first-...sage-published/

And would it be possible for there to be a collaboration between the two of you?

+Quote Post
Grim Tuesday
post 13 Feb 2018, 14:19
Post #87

Group Icon

What do you mean by C&D?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Zeke
post 13 Feb 2018, 14:40
Post #88

The X General
Group Icon

Uniqueness is Overrated

QUOTE (Grim Tuesday @ 13 Feb 2018, 21:19) *
What do you mean by C&D?

Cease and Desist

--------------------

+Quote Post
Grim Tuesday
post 14 Feb 2018, 10:45
Post #89

Group Icon

I thought it is legal to reverse engineer a software. Especially if you don't monetize it afterwards.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Blade
post 16 Feb 2018, 12:16
Post #90

Group Icon

QUOTE (Grim Tuesday @ 14 Feb 2018, 9:45) *
I thought it is legal to reverse engineer a software. Especially if you don't monetize it afterwards.

It depends on the jurisdiction, how its done and for what purpose. I don't think that would stop a C&D if EA thought your were threatening their revenue streams though.

+Quote Post
Blade
post 20 Feb 2018, 16:48
Post #91

Group Icon

In case anyone is interested, I've created a dischord server for Thyme at https://discord.gg/YhdMbvD.

+Quote Post
Zeke
post 21 Feb 2018, 3:31
Post #92

The X General
Group Icon

Uniqueness is Overrated

"It's about thyme!"

--------------------

+Quote Post
vectorguy
post 25 Jun 2018, 16:30
Post #93

Group Icon

Member No.: 10741

Wow, I just discovered this thread. Things just sort of went silent.

+Quote Post
Blade
post 24 Jul 2018, 10:34
Post #94

Group Icon

The discord group is a bit more active when it comes to discussions. I've recently merged in a lot of work on the particle system classes that handle a lot of the maths related to them though, development is still very much active.

+Quote Post
GuardianTempest
post 28 Nov 2018, 23:41
Post #95

Adorably Awkward Android
Group Icon

Member No.: 1015
Back after mysteriously disappearing in 2015

Sorry for bumping, Discord link is dead.

Also, keep up the good work. If you get far, this could be the ZH equivalent of ARES.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Blade
post 7 Dec 2018, 15:26
Post #96

Group Icon

New link is https://discord.gg/UnWK2Tw. If we get far enough this will surpass ARES in that it will allow not only improvements, but porting to other platforms. ZH on a raspberry pi maybe? Ares takes a lot of shortcuts to implement new features, they aren't interested in reimplementing the entire engine or if they are, aren't working directly to that end.

+Quote Post
GuardianTempest
post 8 Dec 2018, 9:55
Post #97

Adorably Awkward Android
Group Icon

Member No.: 1015
Back after mysteriously disappearing in 2015

Well I suppose it's okay for a (relatively) light-spec game like RA2, plus it leaves no hassle since virtually no files have to be modified (unless the mod is extensive). I presume that for Thyme's endgame, the package will become its own standalone application? It's either that or a ton of file juggling.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19 March 2024 - 8:09