post 21 Apr 2016, 22:09
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 1
Projects: SWR Productions
Bitch slapping SAGE since 2003

Hello again ROTR fans!
This week, we've got something a bit more elaborate to show you. First, I'd like to mention that we've completely revamped the GLA airforce which also includes some new additions to simplify the whole thing, to make it easier to use, and most important of all, more fun. For one, the current Interceptor and Gazelle now have a fixed loadout that can no longer be changed, making their intended function more clearly defined. Additionally, each level of the unlock now grants you access to an extra airstrip, allowing you to construct a maximum of three at the third stage of the unlock. To make up for the fact the changes in armament, the GLA will also receive two new aircraft, the first of which is the Mi-6 Hook helicopter:

As of late, Mi-6 cargo helicopters have been sighted supporting GLA forces in several conflict zones across Africa. Codenamed the 'Hook' by NATO during the Cold War, this rugged piece of Soviet-Russian engineering was the world's largest and fastest helicopter for quite some time following its introduction back in the 1950s and despite its age, it is still a versatile heavy transport. The GLA use the Mi-6 to quickly airlift troops and materiel to the battlefield. Military intelligence agencies still speculate as to how the GLA got a hold of the the aging helicopters, with at least some of them having been traced back to corrupt elements within the armed forces of Kazakhstan, the Ukraine and a number of African countries.

Reports have indicated that the GLA have modified a number of their Mi-6 Hook airframes to serve as transport gunships similar in function to the famous Mi-24 Hind. A variety of anti-tank missiles and rockets of former Soviet and Chinese origin have been mounted on pylons under the helicopter's wings and auto cannons are mounted on each side of the fuselage near the fore. The jury-rigged conversion has a significant negative effect on the helicopter's manoeuvrability and acceleration, but its firepower is very considerable and it retains a degree of transport capability. Extreme caution is advised when encountering any of these modified helicopters.

And again, some screenshots showing our new content in-game:

The first screenshot shows a small GLA expansion where a Scorpion is being dropped off by the new Mi-6 cargo helicopter. Note that this particular version of the Hook is used purely as an uncontrollabe delivery aircraft for drops.

The second screenshot shows the new Fanatics and RPG Insurgents which will be spawned from a GLA Ambush from now on instead of generic Rebels and Tunnel Defenders. The change is purely visual.

As always, we would like to remind you that there will be another stream on this Sunday:

Countdown until the stream starts

Also, in case you missed last week's stream, you can check it out here.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GeneralAziz
post 21 Apr 2016, 22:23
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Donator
Member No.: 12539

Beauuuutiful ! Finally a heavy toy for GLA biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by GeneralAziz: 21 Apr 2016, 22:35

--------------------
Not here.

+Quote Post
Awakened Lord
post 21 Apr 2016, 22:51
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 12795

That Gunship really scares me..... Good job btw smile.gif

+Quote Post
NikCaputnic
post 21 Apr 2016, 23:39
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 12315

Great models as always!
About fanatics: i do have a feeling that it is somehow related to the...umm...explosives unlock for rebels and...umm...one strategy that involves rebel ambush and enemy tanks. Am I right? 8llani.gif

Oh, and about GLA airforce. To tell the truth, I am worried now.
Models are great. But more airstrips? A new transport gunship? Isn't it too much? I mean, that you wanted to make GLA airforce optional. "No one expects GLA airforce". But now, with more airstrips, which may give you 6 (!) great interceptors, multirole gunship, overwatch and resource drop, isn't it going to become a nobrainer unlock?
But ofc I hope that you will make things balanced.

P.S. why does Hook got machine guns on its hull? The are usually installed on side pylons.

This post has been edited by NikCaputnic: 21 Apr 2016, 23:48

+Quote Post
Giveaway412
post 22 Apr 2016, 0:50
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 10918

Hello Rise of the Reds community, it's good to be back! And especially good to come back just in time to see the GLA receive a fabulous new addition to their aerial arsenal!

This should be an interesting addition to gameplay, and I've always wanted to see a slightly expanded GLA Airforce. Who knows, maybe we'll see the Helix return to China early in this update(One can dream)! Then we could call it "The Helicopter Update", or something similar.

+Quote Post
{Lads}RikerZZZ
post 22 Apr 2016, 1:56
Post #6

Certified Shitposter
Group Icon

Group: Tester
Member No.: 10248
pls join my games im lonely =c

QUOTE (NikCaputnic @ 21 Apr 2016, 23:39) *
About fanatics: i do have a feeling that it is somehow related to the...umm...explosives unlock for rebels and...umm...one strategy that involves rebel ambush and enemy tanks. Am I right? 8llani.gif

Basically that, so yeah, you are right, good jaab.

QUOTE (NikCaputnic @ 21 Apr 2016, 23:39) *
Oh, and about GLA airforce. To tell the truth, I am worried now.
Models are great. But more airstrips? A new transport gunship? Isn't it too much? I mean, that you wanted to make GLA airforce optional. "No one expects GLA airforce". But now, with more airstrips, which may give you 6 (!) great interceptors, multirole gunship, overwatch and resource drop, isn't it going to become a nobrainer unlock?
But ofc I hope that you will make things balanced.

Currently it is already a no-brainer due to overwatch, so these changes should help actually make the gp about the planes more than just the free ability.
its actually pretty good as far as balance goes, but there are still some small things that need fixing smile.gif

--------------------

Many thanks to IvanMRM for my avatar and Star for drawing my epic signature. You guys rock!
Join our Discord Server for a great community and plenty of games and memes!
Also, check out our ROTR - Fan group on Facebook.

+Quote Post
Nemanja
post 22 Apr 2016, 6:52
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 9081

Idk what to say...GLA airforce was supposed to be limited one,now not quite much...
Also,I like these models,they are very well done,especially gunship...but thing with giving old Russian weapons to GLA got really old,
like we have Russian faction that is based on CW Russia,Chinese communist faction that uses lot of CW Russian stuff...
And well GLA which uses,well ton of Russian CW stuff...Especially their new airforce.I kind a expected more creativity on that part.
Since GLA is now placed in Central Africa,one would expect slight change to their standard equipment,having some old French and British
weaponry on their side,we don't have to see that much in games,rather than usual Soviet junk.Disappointing.

+Quote Post
NikCaputnic
post 22 Apr 2016, 7:44
Post #8

Group Icon

QUOTE (re_simeone @ 22 Apr 2016, 8:52) *
Since GLA is now placed in Central Africa,one would expect slight change to their standard equipment,having some old French and British
weaponry on their side,we don't have to see that much in games,rather than usual Soviet junk.Disappointing.

You do realise than within African continent it is much easier to acquire soviet or russian equipment than any other, don't you?

+Quote Post
Nemanja
post 22 Apr 2016, 7:54
Post #9

Group Icon

QUOTE (NikCaputnic @ 22 Apr 2016, 8:44) *
You do realise than within African continent it is much easier to acquire soviet or russian equipment than any other, don't you?

I said central Africa.In central parts you are more likely to see some French leftovers from colonial rule.
Sure that is more thinking of how it would work irl,but it would be lot more interesting to see it in game too from the design standpoint.

+Quote Post
MARS
post 22 Apr 2016, 8:01
Post #10

Group Icon

Group: Project Leader
Member No.: 10

^ Personally, I find that a fair point. For as awesome and diverse old Soviet hardware is, it is in some cases a low-hanging fruit in terms of faction design. I am in agreement that old British and French Cold War era equipment would suit the African-based GLA very well. Things like the Panhard AML, FV101 Scorpion, AMX-13, the sadly removed Centurion tank or various South African vehicles would come to mind, though the latter would be hard to explain for the GLA. In all fairness however, I cannot think of any other heavy cargo helicopter besides the Mi-6 (Mi-26 already used by Russia) which would fit the location and would look sufficiently threatening in a heavy gunship conversion. The Gazelle, which is also used by many African forces, is already in the mod and doesn't have the intended 'monstercopter' look. Some African forces do use the French Puma helicopter, but that one is too small to justify it carrying vehicles and also wouldn't look as menacing even if it were given weaponry. If you want the flying tank look, there sadly is little choice besides Russian hardware.

This post has been edited by MARS: 22 Apr 2016, 8:04

+Quote Post
NikCaputnic
post 22 Apr 2016, 8:06
Post #11

Group Icon

QUOTE (re_simeone @ 22 Apr 2016, 9:54) *
I said central Africa.In central parts you are more likely to see some French leftovers from colonial rule.
Sure that is more thinking of how it would work irl,but it would be lot more interesting to see it in game too from the design standpoint.

You have a point, but considering heavy equipment, sov\rus is more appropriate. However, about light equipment, it may be interesting. To tell the truth, for now I can't even think about anything than sov/rus weapons for GLA, no matter how hard I try blush.gif . Well, maybe only about FN-FALs for mercenaries, and "Saladin" armoured car.

This post has been edited by NikCaputnic: 22 Apr 2016, 8:10

+Quote Post
Nemanja
post 22 Apr 2016, 8:21
Post #12

Group Icon

QUOTE (MARS @ 22 Apr 2016, 9:01) *
Some African forces do use the French Puma helicopter, but that one is too small to justify it carrying vehicles and also wouldn't look as menacing even if it were given weaponry. If you want the flying tank look, there sadly is little choice besides Russian hardware.

Puma looks somehow too modern for GLA,imo.
I like Westland Wessex,I think it would look interesting as a home customized gunship.
And as a GLA gunship variant,in scenario where GLA would upgun every bigger helicopter they had on disposal throughout their territories.
Such as in case with Mi-6 above.

EDIT:Just googled some stuff out,and found out there were actually Westland Wessex Gunships! Or is it a gunship when it has guns...
Well those were armed pretty well.

QUOTE (NikCaputnic @ 22 Apr 2016, 9:06) *
You have a point, but considering heavy equipment, sov\rus is more appropriate. However, about light equipment, it may be interesting. To tell the truth, for now I can't even think about anything than sov/rus weapons for GLA, no matter how hard I try blush.gif . Well, maybe only about FN-FALs for mercenaries.

It is,but I think how that is easiest to do in GLAs case,which lot of ZH mods do actually,and I would not mind it if in past there were no lot more creative choices,
such as Scrapyard jet GLA had for few versions,Gazelle,Centurion (I love regular Scorpion better,but it was nice touch),Black mercs,etc.
It is also sad,at least for me,that it seems we will get another antique Soviet aircraft as a GLA bomber,due to GLAAF readjustment,when clearly it could
be something like Alpha Jet,or something...Rant over.

This post has been edited by re_simeone: 22 Apr 2016, 8:28

+Quote Post
Shiro
post 22 Apr 2016, 8:23
Post #13

Gamer Girl
Group Icon

Group: Legend
Member No.: 182
Friendly Freelancer

As the others said, when it comes to gunships and "monsterhelicopters", there isn't much choice beyond Soviet hardware. I do agree however that for the ground vehicle park there could be more variety, seeing how the GLA is a global organisation with extensive black market connections. This does show in some units already, such as the various Technicals and Quad Cannons, some of which are made by Toyota for example, while the Marauder is an entirely homebrew design. I think I can at least say though that a few 2.0 units will be distinctly African hardware (however anything beyond that is obviously classified).

+Quote Post
NikCaputnic
post 22 Apr 2016, 8:31
Post #14

Group Icon

QUOTE (SoraZ @ 22 Apr 2016, 10:23) *
I think I can at least say though that a few 2.0 units will be distinctly African hardware (however anything beyond that is obviously classified).

Glad to hear that.

Btw, I don't know why, but I strongly want to say, that I miss the Scud Launcher so much.

+Quote Post
Shiro
post 22 Apr 2016, 8:33
Post #15

Gamer Girl
Group Icon

Group: Legend
Member No.: 182
Friendly Freelancer

Scud Launchers will properly come back in 2.0 for General Ibrahiim. They're also in the game files, just not buildable.

+Quote Post
X1Destroy
post 22 Apr 2016, 8:57
Post #16

Guardsman
Group Icon

Member No.: 9379
Armageddon is here..............

Is it going to be even harder to kill than a Hind?

--------------------
We Die Standing.

+Quote Post
{Lads}RikerZZZ
post 22 Apr 2016, 9:54
Post #17

Certified Shitposter
Group Icon

Member No.: 10248
pls join my games im lonely =c

QUOTE (X1Destroy @ 22 Apr 2016, 9:57) *
Is it going to be even harder to kill than a Hind?

Yes. These things don't fuck around.
That said, thats probs gonna change pretty soon given their performance...

This post has been edited by {Lads}RikerZZZ: 22 Apr 2016, 10:02

--------------------

Many thanks to IvanMRM for my avatar and Star for drawing my epic signature. You guys rock!
Join our Discord Server for a great community and plenty of games and memes!
Also, check out our ROTR - Fan group on Facebook.

+Quote Post
X1Destroy
post 22 Apr 2016, 10:00
Post #18

Guardsman
Group Icon

Member No.: 9379
Armageddon is here..............

Well, at least it doesn't have Goliath.

Gotta go get more Chappys and Cyclops then.

This really does change GLA alots. Its airforce is now on par with other factions, and it's not gonna be unexpected anymore.

This post has been edited by X1Destroy: 22 Apr 2016, 10:03

--------------------
We Die Standing.

+Quote Post
__CrUsHeR
post 22 Apr 2016, 12:28
Post #19

Group Icon

Member No.: 9084
"No. Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise."

Wonderful and scary Hook! mindfuck.gif

These helicopters are something really heavy for GLA, I missed something like this.

I believe that GPs related to the GLA air force improved a lot compared to what it was before; It became fairer produce aircraft and must remain something optional for the strategy of the GLA - not the main attraction - which is very good and interesting to a wider variety of gameplay.

I see that every update more and more details are being added to the game, this is simply amazing! (1.87 seems to be one of the most promising ROTR updates). smile.gif

--------------------

You already imagined how would be SAP in the ROTR's universe? Check out this fan-fiction: South American Pact Introduction

+Quote Post
XAOC-RU-
post 22 Apr 2016, 12:30
Post #20

Group Icon

Member No.: 11210

Yeah thats fucking amazing stuff. Now GLA can do some heavy bruteforce in late game. Really good addition! smile.gif
And I agree with soviet variant for transport helicopter which can also destroy everything in their weapon range. 1st what come to mind is soviet heavy air stuff

This post has been edited by XAOC-RU-: 22 Apr 2016, 12:33

+Quote Post
Gracia
post 22 Apr 2016, 15:01
Post #21

Group Icon

Member No.: 10907

.but thing with giving old Russian weapons to GLA got really old,

This is why I really like the old new Scorpion (Centurion) which is a British post-World War 2 tank. It'd make sense for the GLA to accquire old British Empire colonial assets left abandoned in the continent. Would like to see it in the Worldbuilder at very least as it'd give map makers more authenticity in their designs. (or even as a variant, that'd be cool)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Graion Dilach
post 22 Apr 2016, 15:05
Post #22

Supérior Caliburwielder
Group Icon

Group: Project Leader
Member No.: 10093
Just a random modder trying to give a helping hand.

Yeah, I also would see the Centurion atleast as a Scorpion variation but I guess such won't happen. :S

--------------------

AS Discord server: https://discord.gg/7aM7Hm2 | SWR Community Discord https://discord.gg/REcbv37
ComradeCrimson: AS is the product of Hungarian acid
ComradeCrimson: And magical hussars
Dutchygamer: and Weird Al.

QUOTE (Hanfield @ 17 Dec 2016, 20:47)
we have players who don't play, testers who don't test, devs who don't dev and members who don't remember

+Quote Post
DELETED MEMBER
post 22 Apr 2016, 16:08
Post #23

BANNED
Group Icon

Member No.: 48

QUOTE (MARS @ 22 Apr 2016, 9:01) *
AMX-13

Tanks with oscillating turrets need more love

The Hook looks amazing, wonder what the other aircraft is.

--------------------

+Quote Post
3rdShockArmy
post 22 Apr 2016, 17:01
Post #24

Chat Nick
Group Icon

Member No.: 11096
If you ever decide to invade Russia, for the love of God, bring some warm clothes. We don't want you to blame the "evil Russian winter" when you get crushed, like everyone else who tried.

Hot damn, Team! This update was beyond my wildest expectations! biggrin.gif
This is fuckin' awesome! My "capture other factions" OCD just got GLAed! Now, capturing (while playing with Russia) GLA airstrip is top priority for me. tongue.gif
Hind in combination with its forefather is gonna be a monster.
Way to go. Can't wait for 1.87. And then the 2.0. God!

--------------------
Oh Lord, have mercy, for I am unworthy!

Air war in Europe

+Quote Post
Blokovich
post 22 Apr 2016, 23:55
Post #25

Group Icon

Member No.: 9696

Nice work! I cant wait to see the rest of the changes to the GLA airforce.
I have a few questions though. Does the hook work in the same way as the mi 8 from general deathstrike? Like, you buy the transport version and you can upgrade it to the gunship?

Also the gazelle and interceptor do they keep the default weapon loadout they have right now? Or is that still subject to change?

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28 March 2024 - 14:59