IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
What's YOUR idea of a perfect game?, Share your thoughts why don't you?
Svea Rike
post 10 May 2013, 21:07
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 9540

So I was wondering if any of you have had any ideas about the perfect game out there for you... maybe not the perfect game but a good game that you'd play. if so, what would it be? Why not share your thoughts with others here? I have some games that I might've played if they would ever be made (if a game has been made the way we describe, please note that).

Now, a game I would play would be like this:
Consider it an L.A. Noire styled crime fighting game, but instead of being an cop in 1940's Los Angeles, you'd be a Gestapo officer in a 1940's occupied London. Some alternate history, be it at that. How many times have we got to play as the Germans during World War II except in multiplayer matches? Not so many times (AFAIK).

So, in this game, you're a Gestapo officer in London. Your main objective is to gather the 150 or so (fictional) people written down in the "Black Book", a real book from WWII containing the names of many anti-nazi people in Britain, such as H.G. Wells and Churchill. In the game you'd get to go around London freely, driving old automobiles and searching through apartment buildings. You would also have to get rid of resistance hideouts in the countryside. Open the hatch to their bunker and lob a few grenades down. You would get to meet real life historical persons, or fictional if the necessity arrives, such as Dr. Franz Albert Six.

The multiplayer portion would be team-based, one team the resistance and the other the Germans. The resistance's objective would be to destroy fuel depots or raid convoys, while the Germans had to defend. Or vice versa; destroy hideouts or protect them. You would have to sneak and play a stealth game to complete the goal.

That is an idea I had of a game I would play. Would you play this game if it was ever made? Do you have any game ideas that you would consider excellent? Why don't you share your thoughs here?

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Karpet
post 10 May 2013, 21:23
Post #2

Comrade Bear
Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 9722
Projects: Deep Impact

Cold War game in an alternate history, where the Soviets never collapsed. In 2017, they go to war with Europe and the Middle East and also some of Asia (No more American focus).

It would be an RTS, and there would be many ways to get money (diverse ways such as looting towns, or getting their support, or shooting down random planes that come every now and then, shooting your enemies cargo planes down). No unit cap, and there could be enormous battles.

All complete with some gigantic naval units.

Also, about that Gestapo game...
Would play.

--------------------
Your feeling of helplessness is your best friend, savage.

+Quote Post
Maxner12
post 10 May 2013, 21:27
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 9552

QUOTE (swedishplayer-97 @ 10 May 2013, 22:07) *
the first post

I wouldn't play it.
Reasons: WW2, again. It's boring for me. The gameplay in both single and multi doesn't really sound new. Also, sneaking as a main thing in multi? Is there even a game that tried that and managed to make it enjoyable?
Also, nazis, gestapo. Just the simple fact that you play for them, raises a lot of morality worries. And also earning insta-ban in America, Australia and even possibly in some parts of Europe. Aka, the place where you can actually sell videogames.
And Asia isn't a big market for these western videogames.
Also, Nazis invade Britain -> Churchill still hangs around and didn't skyrocket himself to Canada/Australia/America to set up a resistance government like De Gaulle did back then. YOLO much?

EDIT: perfect game? Maybe some RPG or RTS, that is centered around alien races. Leaving the humans out from the game. Completely.

This post has been edited by Maxner12: 10 May 2013, 21:30

+Quote Post
__CrUsHeR
post 10 May 2013, 21:29
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 9084
"No. Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise."

QUOTE (swedishplayer-97 @ 10 May 2013, 17:07) *
So I was wondering if any of you have had any ideas about the perfect game out there for you... maybe not the perfect game but a good game that you'd play. if so, what would it be? Why not share your thoughts with others here? I have some games that I might've played if they would ever be made (if a game has been made the way we describe, please note that).

Now, a game I would play would be like this:
Consider it an L.A. Noire styled crime fighting game, but instead of being an cop in 1940's Los Angeles, you'd be a Gestapo officer in a 1940's occupied London. Some alternate history, be it at that. How many times have we got to play as the Germans during World War II except in multiplayer matches? Not so many times (AFAIK).

So, in this game, you're a Gestapo officer in London. Your main objective is to gather the 150 or so (fictional) people written down in the "Black Book", a real book from WWII containing the names of many anti-nazi people in Britain, such as H.G. Wells and Churchill. In the game you'd get to go around London freely, driving old automobiles and searching through apartment buildings. You would also have to get rid of resistance hideouts in the countryside. Open the hatch to their bunker and lob a few grenades down. You would get to meet real life historical persons, or fictional if the necessity arrives, such as Dr. Franz Albert Six.

The multiplayer portion would be team-based, one team the resistance and the other the Germans. The resistance's objective would be to destroy fuel depots or raid convoys, while the Germans had to defend. Or vice versa; destroy hideouts or protect them. You would have to sneak and play a stealth game to complete the goal.

That is an idea I had of a game I would play. Would you play this game if it was ever made? Do you have any game ideas that you would consider excellent? Why don't you share your thoughs here?

It would be an interesting game although the trend in recent years has been to games of modern warfare. The idea of a Gestapo officer looking for people would not be well received by the critics in general, and would not succeed in European markets because hardly a big company would invest in a business so risky. Either way it would be an interesting game that I could play perfectly.

I consider an awesome RTS game something similar to Generals without graphs super-ultra-mega heavy or particle effects, with a good solid singleplayer gameplay and balanced multiplayer, with a good background story that creates an atmosphere for game like the old C&C, WC, etc..

--------------------

You already imagined how would be SAP in the ROTR's universe? Check out this fan-fiction: South American Pact Introduction

+Quote Post
Svea Rike
post 10 May 2013, 21:51
Post #5

Group Icon

QUOTE (Maxner12 @ 10 May 2013, 22:27) *
I wouldn't play it.
Reasons: WW2, again. It's boring for me. The gameplay in both single and multi doesn't really sound new. Also, sneaking as a main thing in multi? Is there even a game that tried that and managed to make it enjoyable?
Also, nazis, gestapo. Just the simple fact that you play for them, raises a lot of morality worries. And also earning insta-ban in America, Australia and even possibly in some parts of Europe. Aka, the place where you can actually sell videogames.
And Asia isn't a big market for these western videogames.
Also, Nazis invade Britain -> Churchill still hangs around and didn't skyrocket himself to Canada/Australia/America to set up a resistance government like De Gaulle did back then. YOLO much?

EDIT: perfect game? Maybe some RPG or RTS, that is centered around alien races. Leaving the humans out from the game. Completely.

Technically it wouldn't be World War 2 because it isn't about the war. People that wan't to play tactical would enjoy stealth based games. However, as soon as you're discovered, better hightail that gun and start shooting some folk.
Of course the problem of banning because you play as the Gestapo, probably the worst people in all of history, is a risk worth taking, IMO. I have seen countless comments on YouTube on WW2 documentaries saying: "we wanna play as the nazis", or "when will we be the bad guys for once? Like the gestapo?" I first thought about this game as something new when it comes to overall setting. Maybe you could retouch the game so that no nazi emblems are shown. Generals was reskinned in Germany and still managed to sell good.

EDIT: @Crusher, the entire game would not just be focused on investigation and searching for people, but also fighting resistance members and chasing wanted people in a Kubelwagen.

This post has been edited by swedishplayer-97: 10 May 2013, 21:53

--------------------

+Quote Post
__CrUsHeR
post 10 May 2013, 22:08
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 9084
"No. Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise."

QUOTE (swedishplayer-97 @ 10 May 2013, 17:51) *
EDIT: @Crusher, the entire game would not just be focused on investigation and searching for people, but also fighting resistance members and chasing wanted people in a Kubelwagen.

I know what the Gestapo did, it was only a way of saying. However if the game attracted me I would play anyway - no offense - I can separate a game of the RL, and it does not affect anything in my social conduct, or make apology to an ideology. wink.gif

EDIT: Now I understand the meaning of what you meant - you were explaining to me your idea - I had understood wrong ... yeah i was waiting for a game based more on action. Disregard my assertion above. smile.gif

This post has been edited by __CrUsHeR: 10 May 2013, 22:17

--------------------

You already imagined how would be SAP in the ROTR's universe? Check out this fan-fiction: South American Pact Introduction

+Quote Post
TheCeLL
post 11 May 2013, 1:26
Post #7

Dangerous Eukaryote
Group Icon

Member No.: 9173
More awesome than an imploding star and a burning car combined

I would love a futuristicy game, set in maybe a hundred years or so, without the cliche halo suits of armor, and mechs. tongue.gif I am honestly getting sick and tired of those.

Also, I want there to be a good variety in units, and factions, and decently balanced gameplay. Graphics do not matter that much to me, as long as they are decent. if they have to downgrade the graphics to get the good variety, and stuff, i certainly wouldn't mind.

Also, I dont like the "feature" where you have to be online all the time. That may be used to prevent piracy, but its still a hinder to everyone who buys the game.
tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Serialkillerwhal...
post 11 May 2013, 3:19
Post #8

Orcinius Genocidalus
Group Icon

Member No.: 9223
No, you move.

Strategy-Oriented, with no twitch "Skill" involved, considering that twitch just translates to reaction time, which is a in-born part of your body.
Mech or Tank or some other vehicle based, you can customize said vehicles extensively, with limits such as weight and power.
Slower units are both noticably more durable and harder hitting, none of this speedy characters having the same firepower as heavier ones crap.
Minimal or none range-dancing, Kiting is a cheap mechanic and should be minimally effectively at best.

The storyline would preferably have a "Black and white" morality, except both sides are supposed to be white from their PoV and black from the others.
Differences in ideals between the individual against the group, freedom against security, progress against tradition, technology against nature.

This post has been edited by Serialkillerwhale: 11 May 2013, 3:39

--------------------

+Quote Post
X1Destroy
post 11 May 2013, 5:35
Post #9

Guardsman
Group Icon

Member No.: 9379
Armageddon is here..............

I would like a post apocalyptic background of an alternative world, a nuke everybody one due to WW3 would be appreciated.

Due to the course of the war, technology would be different for each faction.

Such as that faction have mechanical walkers, while the this faction have super heavy tanks or floating sky fortress...

Or while one already have railgun and plasma, the other is still using limited laser weapons. And many factions wouls still be using traditional bombs and bullets.

The graphic and unit designs should be serious and deadly. All nonsense stuffs like house color RA3 comical feeling should be gone.

The units will have proper camo for each kind of map like snow, forest, dessert, urban......

Things like dragons, magicican and swordmen should be creeps on the maps, for the luz laugh.gif Killing them will grant your units 2 rank veterancy biggrin.gif

The gameplay should be like C&C. You will gather resources at a regenerating ore field. You can also build secondary economy buildings. More cash, more epic battles.

Infantry squad system in WIC would be much better than the one in C&C3.

I would like this RTS game to be focusing on single player campaign and AI Skirmish.

If possible, have about 9 base factions in the game.

I haven't thought of a story yet, but that's all I could think for now.

This post has been edited by X1Destroy: 11 May 2013, 5:38

--------------------
We Die Standing.

+Quote Post
MARS
post 11 May 2013, 5:42
Post #10

Group Icon

Group: Project Leader
Member No.: 10

QUOTE (swedishplayer-97 @ 10 May 2013, 22:07) *

So in a nutshell, this'd be an alternate history post-Sealion game in which you play as Colonel Hans Landa? Doesn't sound half-bad as a premise, but it'd be very difficult to do this sort of thing right.

QUOTE (swedishplayer-97 @ 10 May 2013, 22:51) *
Maybe you could retouch the game so that no nazi emblems are shown. Generals was reskinned in Germany and still managed to sell good.

The censored version of Generals was actually re-released two months -after- the localised (but uncensored) version had come out, so anyone who was really looking forward to the game probably bought it before they replaced it with that godawful censored version and even then, there were fan patches that restored the original content. We also have a law which states that video games are atuomatically banned if they contain swastikas, SS symbols or other Nazi elements. Some games have gotten away with a few namedrops in the past, but this sort of thing has become a self-reinforcing notion which is why many developers pre-emptively remove anything that might be regarded as even vaguely objectionable BEFORE they even send in a copy for review by our agency - same thing with the violence, too. Most of today's censorship doesn't actually arise from the agency raising a red flag, but from devs being overly cautious and pre-emptively maiming their own games for our testers.

Personal perfect game:
- A good remake of the original Empire Earth/Empires Dawn of the Modern World
- An RTS with CoH style combat, Generals style economics, ROTR factions (albeit reinterpreted in a slightly more serious mil-sci-fi kinda way) on maps the size of WiC

+Quote Post
Pepo
post 11 May 2013, 8:22
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 9862

I have been thinking awhile about this.one of the best i can think is:
A game where you and some friends are droped in an alien planet(we are speaking about the future and a fps)without knowing what to do.you have some initial items such as pistol,rifles ,etc....you need to go around the world (not all the planet,but a small part to make ram usage minor)to know what happen and change the things around you.ncp interantion should be very important,giving you missions and telling you interesting things.you will find human comunities,enemy military bases or empires with big cities.you should be able to join factions and figth in they wars,like a footsoldier or a general.the technology,althrougth being set in the future,isn't really advanced:most of the people reach this planet without anything,and they need to scrap things.there will be only a faction with advanced technology that will work basically has a high risk,high reward loot zones.

The game will go from a fps to a 4xstrategy game.you first star with your friends(that could be tell orders like a tactical shooter)you will be wandering around until you find a faction(there should be a lot and clearly differencieted ex:bandits with hit and run tactics,industrial empires with mechanized corps,etc..).you can join then an become a footsoldier,but rise from here to higher positions like sargeant.you could also become a general and command troops like a rts(something similar like Coh1)you could even become the leader of your people,sometimes with elections and other with coups.this will be turned into a 4xgame,doing researchs and controlling economy,althrougth you can always be an sniper or a top general.this will allow people to see the game from different perspectives

A very interesting thing would be that when you die,you don't respawn or go back in time.you need to select a new character that arrives 2 year after your arrival ,this up to 20 years.time will be measured in 1rls=1igmin.maybe a year should be just four months or less to don't make the game to lengthy.also combat would be hard:you kill in few bullets,but they kill you in also few bullets,so stealth and accuracy are requiered.you will also need to eat and drink,althroutgh this is done automatic.you will have a backpack to carry things.you can also improve skills reading from books or computers.this will help you be more effective on hunting,exploring,stealth etc... .skills can also be improved by trying luck and eating things or by combat,althroutgh this is slower

This game can be a top sell for several reasons:you can go from nothing to an emperador,be a loner that kill everything it moves or a rebel from a destroyed town.it should also have near endless replay capabilities,has your decisions(or indirect ones)change the world..finally,to help being sell,it should have a multiplayer similar to bf2,but with weapon customization,objective battles (like quake:enemy territory)and battlefield changes.it would be battles between factions for some reasons.it should also allow players to form clans and figth in clans battles,to keep the community alive.finally a multiplay mode with rts ,playing with different factions

So what do you think?

This post has been edited by Pepo: 11 May 2013, 10:29

+Quote Post
(USA)Bruce
post 11 May 2013, 9:25
Post #12

The Forums American Hotshot Flyboy
Group Icon

Group: Tester
From: The foundation of modern freedom and Liberty;United States of America.
Member No.: 9500

For RTS I want a game that isnt about micromanaging like starcraft.....
And thats not that punishing when you loose harvesters like Red alert 3

Last but not least;
I want good lore and good writing, Something that doesnt make anyone technically the good guy.Heros of Might and Magic 4 deliverd on this perfectly and even added small random events or stories after an X amount of progress or time into the game....I hate that you can just RUSH the game move the X units to the spot to see the cinematic

I littarly did that on the zero hour GLa mission 1 with the leader....USA base? Meh cant deal with it, just run over rangers and go to the spot...watch a short cinemetic...pfff...
Heres a good example of nobody being the good guy O'kais and Thules dialoge
Lore and story is what drives me....That and Wargear/upgrades....Gotta have LOTS Of upgrades.

For the gamelay I want it to be ballenced, thats above all else and all facton to have a diffrenet feel.Subfactions are good too.Ingame Taunts are important or the voices of the game to give that feel.Music is definately a must, I should feel whats going on, try playing dawn of war 2 retrebutions big battle...Man that sounds good.

Being a somewhat oldschool gamer I've never cared about graphics.
A decent Co op and modding options like Half life, I mean did anyone play Sven Coop?

Diffrent maps and missions for all factions and a decent ending.....Hmm...what else....
Theres too many things on my mind to post,

Im not sure if anyone had done this before but; Not everyone likes RTS and FPS like me so we could have the option for lets say players in a game of COH you could order a squad to take a point or take cover and your friend would have the option to join that or another squad like an fps game, thou he would havea limit of where he could move but with Voip or teamspeak that could be handled....Pepo somewhat gave a glimpse of what Im saying.
Games shouldnt have leveling up systems like black ops or CNC4 you should either have all the same equipment around the map or at start like Half life, The map crossfire was a blast IMO.Nobodys hates a game more when you either get avatars rolling in your base and you have weak T0 Infantry to counter it.Or when the only counter to that 10th prestige superxx1337commandogangstapro guy is a grenadage launcher wich is banned on most servers....

Players should play with other players on their level unless with friens...To a certain limit till the game gives a handicap for the high level player.Cosmetic items and game items should totaly be done with steamworkshop or something simmular....Its awsome.

I'll post later

--------------------

+Quote Post
Svea Rike
post 11 May 2013, 11:42
Post #13

Group Icon

QUOTE ((USA)Bruce @ 11 May 2013, 9:25) *
Im not sure if anyone had done this before but; Not everyone likes RTS and FPS like me so we could have the option for lets say players in a game of COH you could order a squad to take a point or take cover and your friend would have the option to join that or another squad like an fps game, thou he would havea limit of where he could move but with Voip or teamspeak that could be handled....Pepo somewhat gave a glimpse of what Im saying.

If I am not mistaken, Brothers in Arms had that system, albeit in an FPS view.

This post has been edited by swedishplayer-97: 11 May 2013, 11:43

--------------------

+Quote Post
CheoRock
post 11 May 2013, 21:24
Post #14

Group Icon

Member No.: 9522
You'll be what you must be, or else you will be nothing...

I would really love a game with the Total War mechanics but based on a WWIII, I mean a World Strategic Map with territory to conquer (with all managing of eco&resources just like Europa Universalis) and Combat Map to fight battles in a WiC style... Also it would be great develop combats on iconic RL places alongside with other more strategically importants like Suez, Gibraltar, etc...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Serialkillerwhal...
post 12 May 2013, 6:56
Post #15

Orcinius Genocidalus
Group Icon

Member No.: 9223
No, you move.

Heroes and Generals is sorta that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SpiralSpectre
post 13 May 2013, 17:12
Post #16

Group Icon

Member No.: 8905
Loves guessing games

Firstly the naturally necessary features like good graphics, excellent music, good replay value, good multiplayer support (if applicable) are needed.

For RTS - CoH gameplay (including stuff like it's pop cap and resource system) with slightly more expanded companies for more varied gameplay. Preferably set in near future with a military sci-fi theme with lose grasp on realism. None or very small amount of "silly" stuff like psychic agents, flying saucers, huge humanoid mechas, beam katanas etc (you get the point). Preferably about five to six noticeably distinct (but not cripplingly over specialised for sake of uniqueness) factions with companies acting as sub-factions.
Definitely grey morality - every side having genuine morally justified reasons for supporting their cause while others having their own morally justified reason for trying to shut them down.

For FPS - Borderland style addictive, crazy, co-operative gameplay. Totally black-white morality, I don't need to feel sorry for the poor sods I blow up in an addrenaline rush. Loads of different weapons to keep things fresh and interesting. Fun storyline with loads of twists and turns and psychos but doesn't need to make sense as long as it's fun.

For action - fluid, creative, fun mix of both shooting and hack and slash, pretty much like Devil May Cry. A lot of weapons are good but they need to be distinct and serve different strategic purposes. I game where I can go crazy if I want to, yet often require quite a bit of thinking while also requiring you to mix things up and be creative. Personally I prefer fantasy settings set in real world background. Preferably grey morality but doesn't necessarily need as much depth as RTS or RPG would need.

For RPG - Dragon Age or Mass Effect style characters and world, with as much variety as Elder Scrolls. Loads of options and various distinct factions. Almost all of them with grey morality. Both Dragon Age and Elder Scroll style fighting has their own unique charms and I don't want to compare the two. A good, immersive storyline is a must. Naturally a good deal questions, decision making with loads of interesting varieties of possible player classes, weapons, abilities etc. Storyline needs depth and needs to make sense.

And if possible, the game should be moddable and modder friendly so future enthusiasts can keep it fresh.

This post has been edited by SpiralSpectre: 13 May 2013, 17:15

+Quote Post
Kalga
post 19 May 2013, 2:31
Post #17

Writer do his best now and BSing...
Group Icon

From: Somewhere in America (currently, not always that way)
Member No.: 9758
Yes I like Touhou... and the problem is?

I would like a strategy game with the following:

-an alt history that sets up at least 3 major factions and a number of minor factions. Time period is sometime in the future
-at least 3 story driven campaigns, 1 pre WWIII, 1 during WWIII, and 1 post WWIII
-for the post WWIII campaign, as the campaign progresses, your forces get WORSE equipment, if any at all (so keeping your starting equipment in workable condition is paramount).
-the ability to pick and play minor factions and use them to go up against the major factions on both single & mult player matches, and to have campaigns for minor factions.
-contain both casual and realistic mode.
-in realistic mode, fuel, repair, medic stuff are all factors to deal with.
-allow wide variety of customization of all equipment, from what to equip infantry squads to add-ons to vehicles.
-basic soldiers come in squads.
-have both 4x and RTS mode, and easy change from one mode to the other.
-a large, detailed lore.
-at least decent graphics.
-insane, even redundant amount of choices of units.

Yea I know I'm asking for way too much but I'm betting that such a game would be possible even for small indie companies to make in the future... and I intend to see that day.

This post has been edited by Kalga: 19 May 2013, 2:34

--------------------
... wait, oh s--t! I've been surrounded by raging modders!

The forum is ripe with the stench of gamers!

+Quote Post
piratep2r
post 19 May 2013, 8:43
Post #18

Rocket pods are now available
Group Icon

Member No.: 9368

I'd be interested in:

RTS

* moral effects * - something that I haven't seen in a build-style RTS since Dawn of War (where I didn't like it, actually). Many of the most heroic military stories have to do with the superior side loosing their nerve, or the inferior side holding out beyond all reason... and yet we hardly ever see it in a game. Yet how can an alternate path to victory be a bad thing in this context?

EDIT - addition: COOP storyline gameplay. I know it is probably labor intensive, but think of the replay possibilities. If you are making an RTS and you have good multiplayer and want to keep people playing the campaign longer, this is how you would do it. This is literally the single draw that RA3 holds for me. A game I can play with friends who have no interest in competitive MP and are tired of comp stomping.

Having at least one foot in the recognizable present (ie, "near future" - one of the things that made CnC 1 so interesting)
"Semi-realistic" ie, general's style, without mecha, or radically transforming units.
Large scope/many units (I've been playing a lot of supreme commander lately and love it)
Interface, order cueing, and automation designed by people who know what they are doing and what is fun (if you have never played forged alliance you should try, it is amazing how much they thought of)
An emphasis on unit pathing coding!
Multiple types of combat (air, water, land)
Emphasizing macro over micro, but with some rewards for micro (a la supreme commander and RotR, but potentially less micro)
Superzoom (as is now pretty standard in RTS I think)
At least a few "Uber" units with a lot of character - invulnerability is unnecessary... give me a mammoth tank, sentinel, or overlord and I am happy.

"Intelligent" and interesting unit design. You can have deep rock/paper/scissors without always making each unit a one trick pony. One of the awesome things about supreme commander/FA is that some of the heavier units have a ton of functionality and features. As an example, a specific land supertank in SC/FA might have multiple batteries of battleship guns, light "anti-personel" guns, radar, multiple anti-aircraft guns, two aircraft refueling pads, be amphibious, and have a shield dome, and yet still be balanced. Its still horrible vulnerable to air (and close attack), incredible vulnerable in the water, but at least it feels like whoever designed it knew it's weaknesses and tried to build in some resistance. This is one of the many reasons the overlord and paladin were two of my favorite units in Gen/ZH.

Good within faction balance
Balanced between meaningful factional differences
Multiplayer (single player would be nice too, you can do very different things in SP compared to MP).
Make weapons feel damaging - this is something ROTR and Shockwave do very well, and DOW did very poorly, IMO.
Terrain effects - buildings, woods, etc. Set the scene and make the terrain feel real and matter. WIC does this very well I think, and I enjoy it tremendously.
Unit experience and promotion

Fun units! As I have played Shockwave and ROTR I catch myself looking forward to playing with specific units - not because they have excellent DPS, or good cost/damage ratio, but because they are so much fun to use. As an example - Yes, it is hard to get nuke generals nuke migs out in competitive multiplayer, but if you do get to play them they are beyond entertaining. Sh*t goes flying everywhere. So cool. Or how about the bayonet equipped Chinese infantry in ROTR? Take that, Boris you SOB! Same with so so so many other units from the SWP team. But for some games it just isn't that much fun to play with any of the units. I had this problem with Achron, actually (an otherwise amazing game/concept).

Thanks for reading, and writing; it's been fun to read everyone's opinions!

This post has been edited by piratep2r: 20 May 2013, 5:48

+Quote Post
Warpath
post 20 May 2013, 4:18
Post #19

Mad General... MUAHAHAHAHA!!!
Group Icon

Member No.: 9008
Follower of the Grimdark.

Okay, aside from it having excellent graphics, appropriate and badass music and extremely good AI, there are some things that would have draw my attention like:

RTS - a DoW style RTS with five or six main factions with three sub-factions each kinda like the Generals sub-factions, of course they all have to be balanced with their own respective advantages and disadvantages, I like to keep thing realistic so it won't have none of the silly things. It must also have the ability to control vast mount of units and a fair balance in macro and micro. The units also must have pretty interesting designs that fits with their faction theme. The general setting would be somewhere in a grimdark, despotic, 40K esque far-future with either Grey vs Black or Evil vs Evil morality. The more hopeless, the better. So essentially a combination of CnC and DoW.

FPS - A Crysis style game for me, with fair amounts of sneaking around, adrenaline rush inducing firefights, the ability to choose your weapons in the campaign, the ability to change the outcome based on your choices and a good multiplayer, The general setting would be somewhere in the near future so its still recognizable with a black vs grey setting so you can do some morally questionable, if justifiable things but you won't feel bad about splattering your enemies brains to the wall. It also must have many unlockable weapons you can choose so you won't loose interest after playing for a while. A serious storyline with some comedic relief added here and there.

--------------------
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
- George S. Patton

That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

- The Neconomicon

Two things are infinite: the universe and the human stupidity.
- Albert Einstein (attributed)

+Quote Post
piratep2r
post 20 May 2013, 5:44
Post #20

Rocket pods are now available
Group Icon

Member No.: 9368

QUOTE (Warpath @ 19 May 2013, 23:18) *
Okay, aside from it having excellent graphics, appropriate and badass music and extremely good AI, there are some things that would have draw my attention like:

FPS - A Crysis style game for me, with fair amounts of sneaking around, adrenaline rush inducing firefights, the ability to choose your weapons in the campaign, the ability to change the outcome based on your choices and a good multiplayer, The general setting would be somewhere in the near future so its still recognizable with a black vs grey setting so you can do some morally questionable, if justifiable things but you won't feel bad about splattering your enemies brains to the wall. It also must have many unlockable weapons you can choose so you won't loose interest after playing for a while. A serious storyline with some comedic relief added here and there.

That is interesting. It sounds like a cross between the open world/multiple paths and styles of crysis, and some of the story, humor, and worlds of ME1/2/3. I like it; sounds fun. ME3 had an awful lot of corridor shooting (a style I understand and accept on multiple levels, but don't like very much).

I think it is interesting that you and I feel opposite about RTS/FPS : near future/far future. If it is a world I am going to explore myself (FPS) I like that the far future provides an infinite canvas upon which to write the story, and extra reasons for the designers to allow bizzarro level design that would otherwise make no sense in the present/real world (but are necessary for engine limitations). The ME series (and to a lesser extent Halo IMHO) demonstrates this. However, if I am going to care about a unit, it helps me if I an feel connected to it because it has roots in (or exists in) the real world. I care about my veteran Abraham tank that heroically defended the random street corner in WIC a lot more than a random weird looking glowing alien hover tank doing the same thing in UaW: Earth Assault. I doesn't really make any rational sense, but there you have it.

p

+Quote Post
Pepo
post 20 May 2013, 7:05
Post #21

Group Icon

Member No.: 9862

QUOTE (Warpath @ 20 May 2013, 5:18) *

RTS - a DoW style RTS with five or six main factions with three sub-factions each kinda like the Generals sub-factions, of course they all have to be balanced with their own respective advantages and disadvantages, I like to keep thing realistic so it won't have none of the silly things. It must also have the ability to control vast mount of units and a fair balance in macro and micro. The units also must have pretty interesting designs that fits with their faction theme. The general setting would be somewhere in a grimdark, despotic, 40K esque far-future with either Grey vs Black or Evil vs Evil morality. The more hopeless, the better. So essentially a combination of CnC and DoW.

What dow?the second one?i didn't like it has much has the first.i think that the new skirmish was bad(one building and few units)one thing i would like is an objective taking skirmish,where players,appart from figthing each other,figth to get control of different objects to get advancing on the tech tree.for example:a radio with information is recover,and now that communication is recover,air attacks are avatible

+Quote Post
Warpath
post 20 May 2013, 9:44
Post #22

Mad General... MUAHAHAHAHA!!!
Group Icon

Member No.: 9008
Follower of the Grimdark.

QUOTE (Pepo @ 20 May 2013, 7:05) *
What dow?the second one?i didn't like it has much has the first.i think that the new skirmish was bad(one building and few units)one thing i would like is an objective taking skirmish,where players,appart from figthing each other,figth to get control of different objects to get advancing on the tech tree.for example:a radio with information is recover,and now that communication is recover,air attacks are avatible

I was talking about the first ones like Dark Crusade, I played Retribution for awhile and found it kinda boring.

This post has been edited by Warpath: 20 May 2013, 9:44

--------------------
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
- George S. Patton

That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

- The Neconomicon

Two things are infinite: the universe and the human stupidity.
- Albert Einstein (attributed)

+Quote Post
Svea Rike
post 22 May 2013, 21:32
Post #23

Group Icon

I thought I might share another idea I had for a game.

The story is that the global warming forced all the humans to resettle on the much warmer Antarctica. However, when the ice melted, previously creatures thought to be extinct or just plain unknown ones emerged and started ravaging the new farmlands on antarctcia. The warmth increased, and Antarctica turned into a mixture of rainforest, savannah and even deserts. The humans now fight for survival, nothing else.

The game would be a mix of an RPG and hunting game. Your only goal: SURVIVE. You have to hunt food, build shelter and protect your assets from scavengers. Many creatures such as tigers, elephants and the like would be present, and all could be ridable, huntable and eatable. Extinct creatures such as Sabretoothed tigers and Megalodon sharks would be present, and even fictional (but realistic) creatures as well. The world would look like Africa but have the terrain of Antarctica, with savannahs, rainforests and deserts all explorable. To build shelters such as houses you would have to collect wood or stone, and to transport it you'd have to drive vehicles. Weapons would be completely customizable from scope to bullets to magazine etc. etc. You can also hunt for gold, diamonds and other valuables in the wild and under water, then sell it for ammunition, weapons and tools. The ocean around Antarctica can be explored, however, mean fish such as Megalodon sharks and Kraken squids exist, so be catious. When venturing too far out into the ocean, you would be eaten by giant sharks.

The amount of time you survive would be counted in days, hours and minutes, and when you die, its game over and you'l' have to restart, simple as that. An online scoreboard featuring the players that survived the longest would be present, so you can compete for the glory of being the best.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Knossos
post 26 May 2013, 16:05
Post #24

Group Icon

Member No.: 9942

Best game for me? Make a cold-war era version of Battlestations: Pacific at the Atlantic.

--------------------
"The biggest problem of humanity is that it sees the failures first before the successes."

+Quote Post
X1Destroy
post 26 May 2013, 17:42
Post #25

Guardsman
Group Icon

Member No.: 9379
Armageddon is here..............

moral effects * - something that I haven't seen in a build-style RTS since Dawn of War (where I didn't like it, actually). Many of the most heroic military stories have to do with the superior side loosing their nerve, or the inferior side holding out beyond all reason... and yet we hardly ever see it in a game. Yet how can an alternate path to victory be a bad thing in this context?

Most game features infantry as nothing more than dispodable meat shield or cheap support units that almost everything can kill them effectively, so that is understandable.

If they have moral effects they would'd been alots more useless then what they are now.

This, however, is extremely good in games that focus heavily on infantry and not vehicle spam fest. It's work very well in DOW. But in C&C? Just NO.

That is just my oppinion, though.

QUOTE (Warpath @ 20 May 2013, 5:18) *

Sounds interesting to me aw.gif

--------------------
We Die Standing.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25 April 2024 - 15:32