IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
Rise of the Reds Update: The Suspense - It's Killing You!
MARS
post 8 Sep 2012, 19:09
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Project Leader
Member No.: 10

Unfortunately, the much anticipated release of Version 1.72 is still being held up by a few issues with the AI that need to be ironed out. We apologise for the prolonged wait and present you a little something to compensate:

After the Global Liberation Army had gotten its hands on a sizeable number of Gazelle helicopters left behind by the weak Central African militaries, the organisation was quick to develop several highly effective tactics hit-and-run around them. Limited solely by the bounds of their own resourcefulness and creativity, the crafty mechanics and pilots also tested a variety of different weapon configurations on these fast, lightly armoured helicopters, the latest of which was the installation of agricultural pesticide sprayers. Any Gazelle that has been outfitted with this peculiar modification is able to unleash a deadly downpour of toxins that turns an entire strip of land into a no-go zone for unprotected infantry for a prolonged period of time.

In addition to this new Gazelle weapon loadout that will be available in 1.72, we would also like to introduce you to the third and final GLA General:

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Theyseemetrollin
post 8 Sep 2012, 19:26
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 9057

Ooh thats neat, should be fun against the chinese hordes lol since they have no chem suits =D. But since you mentioned it, what kind of issues are you guys experiencing?

Meant to ask, can it clear garrisons?

This post has been edited by Theyseemetrollin: 8 Sep 2012, 19:30

+Quote Post
Arrakis
post 8 Sep 2012, 19:36
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 8949

Take the time you need, no need to rush things. As for the upgrade: will it be exclusive to Bio Command, or will it be available for all GLA factions?

+Quote Post
Theyseemetrollin
post 8 Sep 2012, 19:37
Post #4

Group Icon

I imagine bio command, but that's just my opinion

+Quote Post
SpiralSpectre
post 8 Sep 2012, 19:41
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 8905
Loves guessing games

Oh Gawd more waiting! Anyway seriously love the idea of the toxin sprinkler. Even from my limited experience with modding community I'll take the risk and say now that's something we can safely call unique. And it totally screams GLA with it's peculiar design, resourcefulness and the the holding back attitude it exerts.

Just making sure - is this upgrade mutually exclusive with the RPG launcher upgrade? Can it be used like a standard weapon or only as an ability that contaminates land? Is it going to become unique to Bio Command in the future?

Yuusuf is the good old, hardcore, true blue, fundamentalist extremist. In one word - scary. I like the name "White Falcon Cell". So he had pirate connections? I thought Sulaymaan had all the mercenary, pirate etc links. Good to hear what CIA has been up to lately.

+Quote Post
MARS
post 8 Sep 2012, 19:50
Post #6

Group Icon

You can either have this or the AT/AA Missile loadout on a Gazelle. We've actually had a funny testing bug that allowed you to have both if you purchased them in a certain order, but it's intended to be mutually exclusive. Now, the sprinklers are not actually triggered by the Gazelles attack (it still has the default unguided rocket pods), but by an ability. You can basically set a course, hit the hotkey and the Gazelle(s) will start spraying their toxins all over the place for several seconds as you proceed to give them move orders, meaning you can zig-zag a bunch of them to create a large toxin field. Whether it's going to be Bio Command exclusive later on hasn't been properly decided yet. I actually don't think so since all GLA Generals are supposed to have -some- toxin weapons available to them as standard.

As for Mr. Yusuuf, yes, he does give off a very scary vibe. It's got to do with the cameo - nicely shopped by The Hunter himself - because the image/filters make his eyes look kinda 'demonic'.
The While Falcon reference alludes to white as a traditional symbol colour for purity (something that religious fanatics constantly bang on about in their own nutty way) and falconry is a classic element of old Arab culture.

There's also some reasoning behind the other cell names:

Sulaymaan = Golden Lion
Gold = Associated with wealth, splendour
Lion = Often associated as the 'king' of animals, a symbol of strength and nobility, a contrast to the lion in the ECA symbol and an animal that is mostly found in Africa

Ibrahiim = Black Mamba
Black = Widely associated with death and disease; politically associated with anarchism and certain brands of fascism
Mamba = Extremely poisonous snake that is also found in Africa

Symbolismmmmm!!!

+Quote Post
SpiralSpectre
post 8 Sep 2012, 20:05
Post #7

Group Icon

Loves guessing games

Yuusuf is demonic alright. Now that I look at the pic closely, his eyes look kinda red. That black turban has also it's charm.

Yeah I caught the white for purity reference. Didn't catch the falconry reference though. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
__CrUsHeR
post 8 Sep 2012, 20:20
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 9084
"No. Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise."

Cool the Gazelle with this additional capacity, will be the terror of the enemy infantry, very unique for ZH.

The Yussuf looks like a demon, I hope that their tactics are really demonic for his enemies, I expect many things based AoE. boom8.gif

"The hordes of imperialists fail!" - Yussuf

I really liked the update. smile.gif

--------------------

You already imagined how would be SAP in the ROTR's universe? Check out this fan-fiction: South American Pact Introduction

+Quote Post
Mr.Kim
post 8 Sep 2012, 20:22
Post #9

Losing Karma to Vault Boy
Group Icon

Group: Tester
Member No.: 34
Some future plan mod for AoE3:Asian Dynasty or FO4

QUOTE (Theyseemetrollin @ 8 Sep 2012, 14:26) *
But since you mentioned it, what kind of issues are you guys experiencing?

I believe it's SAGE engine problem during in the game(since AI's lagging issue), if my guess is wrong or right.

--------------------

Let's kick this Russian Tank's ass back to the Bronze Age!

Twitch Chart ID: Mr_kim82

Moddb ID: Mr_Kim

+Quote Post
SpiralSpectre
post 8 Sep 2012, 20:42
Post #10

Group Icon

Loves guessing games

So overall all the MTG cards have a factions specific flavor to them? US gens have their US style nicknames, Chinese gens have Chinese zodiac based nicknames for their bases and GLA gens have their creative cell names? Can't spot the Russian flavor yet. Wonder if the ECA gens are going to have some kind of flavor.

+Quote Post
Theyseemetrollin
post 8 Sep 2012, 20:56
Post #11

Group Icon

QUOTE (MR.Kim @ 8 Sep 2012, 20:22) *
I believe it's SAGE engine problem during in the game(since AI's lagging issue), if my guess is wrong or right.

Ah I see, well the wait doesn't bother me since the AI's getting fixed, they were rather boring, hopefully now they present a decent challenge on medium ( poor me still can't beat hard tongue.gif )

+Quote Post
aeroth
post 8 Sep 2012, 21:35
Post #12

Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 9121

This sounds like a modern version of the assasin brotherhood from assasin creed 1 tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Knjaz.
post 8 Sep 2012, 21:36
Post #13

Group Icon

Group: Tester
Member No.: 9155

QUOTE (MARS @ 8 Sep 2012, 21:50) *
You can basically set a course, hit the hotkey and the Gazelle(s) will start spraying their toxins all over the place for several seconds as you proceed to give them move orders, meaning you can zig-zag a bunch of them to create a large toxin field. W

Uhh... so, if I understand correctly.
I take, say, 10 Gazelles. I move them closer to enemy army, hit the hotkey, and make them pass over enemy force, just once.

And that'll be an equivalent of toxin carpet bombing?

+Quote Post
__CrUsHeR
post 8 Sep 2012, 21:40
Post #14

Group Icon

Member No.: 9084
"No. Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise."

QUOTE (aeroth @ 8 Sep 2012, 17:35) *
This sounds like a modern version of the assasin brotherhood from assasin creed 1 tongue.gif

Probably is the reincarnation of the old and dangerous Hassassins of Persia.

--------------------

You already imagined how would be SAP in the ROTR's universe? Check out this fan-fiction: South American Pact Introduction

+Quote Post
Warpath
post 9 Sep 2012, 1:58
Post #15

Mad General... MUAHAHAHAHA!!!
Group Icon

Member No.: 9008
Follower of the Grimdark.

Nooooo..... But take your time, damn Yusuuf does look like a Middle Eastern Blackbeard no wonder he's like a demon.

--------------------
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
- George S. Patton

That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

- The Neconomicon

Two things are infinite: the universe and the human stupidity.
- Albert Einstein (attributed)

+Quote Post
SpiralSpectre
post 9 Sep 2012, 5:11
Post #16

Group Icon

Loves guessing games

QUOTE (aeroth @ 9 Sep 2012, 2:35) *

More like a modern version of Assassin's Creed 1 Templers. They're the same creature with different banners.

+Quote Post
Nemanja
post 9 Sep 2012, 6:22
Post #17

Group Icon

Member No.: 9081

RUN THROUGH THE SPRINKLER !!!!
------------
Well we don't have 1.72,but update is here,
although it is a minor thing,I like this one upgrade most of all upcoming GLA things (that will be 1.72),
hope to see more of these kind of units and unit upgrades in future - converting something for civilian use
into something that would be used in war looks so appropriate to faction as GLA and it is giving it unique feel.
Keep up guys.

+Quote Post
MARS
post 9 Sep 2012, 6:40
Post #18

Group Icon

QUOTE (SpiralSpectre @ 8 Sep 2012, 21:42) *
So overall all the MTG cards have a factions specific flavor to them? US gens have their US style nicknames, Chinese gens have Chinese zodiac based nicknames for their bases and GLA gens have their creative cell names? Can't spot the Russian flavor yet. Wonder if the ECA gens are going to have some kind of flavor.

What you call 'flavour' is essentially just a continuation of the profile style they had in Zero Hour. US Generals Townes and Granger had nicknames, the Chinese bases were named based on the zodiac and the GLA used animal names for their cells.

QUOTE (Knjaz. @ 8 Sep 2012, 22:36) *
Uhh... so, if I understand correctly.
I take, say, 10 Gazelles. I move them closer to enemy army, hit the hotkey, and make them pass over enemy force, just once.

And that'll be an equivalent of toxin carpet bombing?

Functionally yes, but the effect of the toxin is nowhere near as vicious as the Anthrax Bomb and it doesn't last particularly long either while the Gazelles could easily run into heavy AA/fighters while doing their run.

+Quote Post
SpiralSpectre
post 9 Sep 2012, 7:54
Post #19

Group Icon

Loves guessing games

I had no idea Chinese bases were named based on the zodiac and the GLA used animal names for all their cells even back in the original ZH. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
MARS
post 9 Sep 2012, 8:18
Post #20

Group Icon

*Consults ZH manual*

So General Fai was stationed at Camp Snake near Beijing, Tao at Base Ox in the Chengdu region (which happens to be the same region where Mau and thus apparently Leang also ended up, near India) and Kwai was from Base Rat, near Jinan. For the GLA, we've got Thrax who had that generic unimaginative 'Unknown' across the entire board, Juhziz' cell was called Scorpion and Kassad, who seemingly hails from Tripoli, Libya, was in charge of Cobra cell.

+Quote Post
SpiralSpectre
post 9 Sep 2012, 8:38
Post #21

Group Icon

Loves guessing games

Thanks. I also just checked the CNC wiki.

Random thought - is there any particular reason why Chen's base is called "rooster" and Jin's base is "dragon"? Wouldn't it sound more logical the other way?

+Quote Post
MARS
post 9 Sep 2012, 9:17
Post #22

Group Icon

I didn't actually put much thought/intended symbolism into the choice of these names. "Base Tiger" for Mau was a given of course, considering its previous owner, but at times, you also have to -defy- the urge of putting subtexts and patterns into every single artistic choice, cos otherwise, things begin to look a bit artificial and constructed. Hence why there was a brief in-universe jab at the fact that the ECA Generals are addressed via first names (The Gathering Storm) but there won't be any such 'explanations' for Willem and Charles even though they use the same style.

+Quote Post
SpiralSpectre
post 9 Sep 2012, 9:42
Post #23

Group Icon

Loves guessing games

Good point.

Just making something sure about Yuusuf - is he going to have unique recon/espionage units or is that part of storyline fluff?

+Quote Post
wb21
post 9 Sep 2012, 10:11
Post #24

Товарищ
Group Icon

Member No.: 175
ex-D' WRTHBRNGR

Dat Yusuuf's cameo is sinister looking. av-7.gif Gonna go "SHOWER ANYONE?" with those Gazelle sprinklers...

--------------------

"Not in mood...go away..."
"We are going to have to act, if we want to live in a different world."

Bringing wrath to a forum near you since 2009!

+Quote Post
General Tatarin
post 9 Sep 2012, 11:53
Post #25

Group Icon

Member No.: 9100

Awesome update !

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8 June 2024 - 9:55