MARS
post 12 Dec 2012, 21:24
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Project Leader
Member No.: 10

Ramsgate, United Kingdom
8 September 2047, 07:25

"Forward, comrades, we must cleanse this foul country! General Aleksandr protects us!", Storm Squad Leader Viktor Grigoryev, a former convict otherwise known as the 'Beast of Bryansk', encouraged the men around him. His original unit had long been blasted to pieces at the waterfront, but the internal structure of the Shock Divisions was highly fluid and organic: Whenever one leader died or a unit broke ranks, the Troopers would swiftly rally around whichever one of them was the most aggressive and continue to press onwards. Despite tremendous casualties, the defenders had been overwhelmed. Now the Troopers fanned out into the city, spraying all doorways, alleys and windows with a few lightning bolts from their Handheld Tesla Devices for good measure. Suddenly, the group once again came under fire from a dug-in position at the market square, where Sergeant Finley and a few hundred other British soldiers had gathered to make their last stand.

"Private Mitchell!", Finley yelled through the constant noise of gunfire and battle cries. "Leave the wounded! We need everyone fighting here and now!" Meryl initially refused as she was busy patching up yet another injured comrade. "I-I-I can't! I'm a medic, I'm here to help people, not..." Finley interrupted her: "Have you SEEN these guys, Meryl? I don't think they'll GIVE a fuck! Now grab a weapon and follow me, that's a god-damned order!" Meryl sighed in resignation while she picked up an assault rifle and joined the soldiers on the firing line. Despite having gone through the same training as everyone else, it was clearly visible that she was still uncomfortable with the process. She rested the weapon against her shoulder, took aim at the frenzied mass of armour-clad Russians that charged towards the market square - and fired. One of them took an entire burst in the guts and dropped to the ground, only to wrestle himself back up and crawl forward to retrieve his rifle, his pain numbed by sheer blood-crazed fanaticism. Reluctantly, Meryl aimed again, this time at the face of the Trooper which had been rendered inhuman by the massive combat helmet and gas mask. The second burst put an end to his fight while Meryl suppressed the sudden urge to throw up and fought on, quickly losing count of how many men she killed.

After a while, the panicked phrase "Last mag!" sounded through the British line more and more often and the rifle fire became sporadic. The Shock Troopers had been visibly decimated, but those that remained kept moving forward, having passed the edge of insanity long ago. Sergeant Finley knew that this fight was going to end soon and issued an unusual series of orders: "Fix bayonets......Remove scabbards......At guard!" This was it; the final straw. Mechanically, the soldiers went through the motions until the ultimate command was given: "CHARGE!"

"Set capacitors to full power!", Grigoryev ordered "It's frying time!" For a moment, the sight of European soldiers, these supposedly spoiled cowards raised by a weak society, charging at him while screaming at the top of their lungs, sent a slight shiver down his spine, but the brief glimpse of fearful humanity remained invisibly contained within the confines of his battle suit. The Brits kept pushing forward with Sergeant Finley at the tip of their final, desperate assault. The Storm Squad Leader found the very notion of a wimpy little woman like Meryl taking on the elite of the Russian military to be preposterous to the extreme and turned his Tesla weapon to maximum where one discharge would surely be enough to reduce her to a speck of greasy ashes on the pavement.

But then, seemingly out of nowhere, a hail of deadly flechettes ripped into the flank of his unit, cutting down dozens of men in a single bloody sweep. Grigoryev was surprised and looked to his left, only to get crushed by a Challenger tank that swung out of the side street at full speed. The steel monstrosity manoeuvred into position to shield its charging comrades while the remaining Shock Troopers broke ranks and 'relocated' towards the shore. The British soldiers took cover behind the vehicle and Sergeant Finley reached for the externally mounted tank-infantry telephone: "This is Colonel David Catt of the Royal Lancers. Sorry for the delay, but we were held up by Russian paratroopers out in the countryside. General Cutting sent us to bust you lads out!" Finley was relieved: "Tis bloody good to see you, Sir. How's the situation at the other beaches?" "The flyboys are tearing up what's left of the Third Shock in Kingsdown. We've suffered some breakthroughs along the main coastline, but they'll probably see reason by the time they realise that there won't be any heavy reinforcements coming from the ports. Now tell your lads to grab some mags from our storage. We have to chase these tossers back to the sea where the Navy can wipe them out for good!"

Meanwhile, the Shock Troopers were dug in at the docks where their Golem tanks had taken up position to oversee the landing of additional hovercraft transports. "There they are, get 'em! Death or glory, boys!", the Colonel sounded through the loudspeakers. Within minutes, all local elements of the British Army including the twelve tanks of the Lancer squadron funnelled into the counter-attack. The Challengers hammered their depleted uranium rounds into the Golems at point-blank range while the infantry opened up on the Shock Troopers. The Golems brought their sluggish guns to bear and returned fire but the odds were clearly stacked against them.

"Come on, lads! We can't screw this up now!", the Colonel proceeded to fire up the troops. Suddenly, a screaming barrage of missiles rained down like a divine intervention, annihilating the entirety of the Russian beachhead in a blazing inferno. The fog had lifted and from the north, the HMS Thunderchild, a Royal Navy battlecruiser of the latest generation moved into sight, accompanied by an entire armada of allied vessels. The deafening roar of her launch tubes sounded across the entire bay as the ship unleashed another hail of missiles, this time aimed at the remaining Russian ships on the horizon. Soon, the frantic battle of Ramsgate came to a close and the last fighting Shock Troopers met their fate via hot lead and cold steel.

"We've done it...It's over", Sergeant Finley aptly summarised the situation as he approached Private Mitchell, who was standing alone by the shore, covered in soot, blood and dirt. But the young medic remained quiet while trying to fight against the tears that were gathering in her eyes. "Matthew's gonna lose his leg", she stammered vacantly. "Derek's dead and God knows how many others." The Sergeant sighed. He knew that he wasn't good at this kind of talk: "It's part of our job. They knew it, I know it and so do you. But it wasn't all in vain. We've saved our country from invasion. This may very well be a turning point in the course of the entire war." Meryl sobbed. She didn't buy it. Right now, she didn't need any of that patriotic military bravado about how the end justifies the means and that there was light at the end of the tunnel. And so she just stood there, silent, watching as the seagulls proceeded to peck at the hundreds upon hundreds of shattered bodies that littered the seaside promenade. A broken husk of what used to be a cheerful individual; another one among thousands of casualties on this grey morning at the coast of England.

A true classic of British aviation, the Harrier jumpjet was retired from service by the MoD in the early 21st century. Unfortunately, its intended replacement, the American F-35 Lightning, would not enter service for many years to come due to a number of safety issues and overflowing costs. Whilst the United States went on and shifted their focus to a more economical multirole version of the F-22 Raptor, many international partners of the Joint Strike Fighter programme, including the Netherlands, Italy and the United Kingdom opted out and were left with no adequate aircraft to fill the niche. Meanwhile, large parts of the Harrier fleet were sold off to the Armada Española. Ever since the creation of the European Continental Army, Spanish carrier ships formed a large portion of the task force's naval branch and provided reliable close air support with their Harriers during ECA combat operations in North Africa. It was at this time when General Cutting of the British expeditionary force worked in close coordination with Admiral Pablo Garcia during the attack on Casablanca. Ten years later, in the most desperate phase of the Russo-European War, Charles once again called upon the help of his Spanish friend, successfully repelling General Aleksandr's ill-conceived invasion of England in one of the war's bloodiest, most decisive battles. In combat, the Harrier is a deadly tank hunter thanks to its powerful Brimstone missiles that also engages both airborne and ground-based targets with a pair of 25mm cannons. Beyond that, its VTOL capabilities ensure a high level of mobility and allow the plane to fly idle in tight circles, making it less prone to sudden anti-air ambushes.

With most of the continental airbases destroyed in the initial strategic bombing campaign launched by the Russian Federation, fixed-wing aircraft such as the Eurofighter Typhoon, a 4.5 generation jet fighter that was first conceived in the mid-1980s, have become a rare commodity for the ECA. Most of the remaining planes now operate from converted motorways as well as distant, still intact bases in Britain, Ireland, Spain or Portugal and can only be called upon under unique circumstances. ECA commanders with the necessary clearance can call in irritating tear gas and cluster strikes that can saturate large areas thanks to the use of a unique munitions dispenser pod mounted underneath the aircraft. However due to equipment shortages, Eurofighters that operate from a civilian airstrip have to make do with ordinary free-fall bombs for their strike missions.

After the United States had abandoned their military bases in Europe and put an abrupt end to eight decades of NATO history, the nations of Europe had to restructure their forces from the ground up in order to fill the gap left by their former allies who were now minding their own business on the other side of the Atlantic. The ECA military planners realised that Europe would need its own strategic bombing capabilities in order to play in the same league as the other global superpowers. Showing a sound degree of foresight, the planners decided that the most suitable country to house and operate the assets would be the United Kingdom, which has been regarded as an 'unsinkable aircraft carrier' since the dawn of military aviation. As a result, Bomber Command made a reappearance as a distinct entity within the RAF command structure and a conglomerate of British and European defence contractors provided the necessary aircraft in the form of the Vulcan B.3 bomber. Thanks to its powerful engines, the Vulcan has a very short response time for a bomber of its size. Its armaments include an extremely precise Smart Bomb - comically dubbed the '16-ton-weight' by Vulcan crews - and the Grand Slam, a massive free-falling gravity bomb with enough explosive force to create short, localised seismic events that sever power lines and break vehicle suspensions, leaving them paralysed for lengthy periods of time.

The SWR team wants to thank you for voting Rise of the Reds into the ModDB Mod of the Year Top 100. Your loyalty throughout the many years, some of great activity, some of painful silence, will soon be rewarded with the release of version 1.8. Until then, stay tuned for more updates.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dangerman
post 12 Dec 2012, 21:32
Post #2

I fits I sits
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1107

Awesome update, finally it seems the Europeans have had their first major breakthrough in halting the russians rather than going on the retreat from the looks of it. Also do I see a War of the Worlds reference with the Thunderchild?

+Quote Post
MARS
post 12 Dec 2012, 21:40
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: Project Leader
Member No.: 10

QUOTE (dangerman1337 @ 12 Dec 2012, 21:32) *
Also do I see a War of the Worlds reference with the Thunderchild?

Indeed you do.

+Quote Post
Spejjarn
post 12 Dec 2012, 22:05
Post #4

Group Icon

Group: Donator
Member No.: 9277

QUOTE (MARS @ 12 Dec 2012, 21:24) *
1) In combat, the Harrier is a deadly tank hunter thanks to its powerful Brimstone missiles that also engages both airborne and ground-based targets with a pair of 25mm cannons.

2) ECA commanders with the necessary clearance can call in irritating tear gas and cluster strikes that can saturate large areas thanks to the use of a unique munitions dispenser pod mounted underneath the aircraft. However due to equipment shortages, Eurofighters that operate from a civilian airstrip have to make do with ordinary free-fall bombs for their strike missions.

3) Its armaments include an extremely precise Smart Bomb - comically dubbed the '16-ton-weight' by Vulcan crews - and the Grand Slam, a massive free-falling gravity bomb with enough explosive force to create short, localised seismic events that sever power lines and break vehicle suspensions, leaving them paralysed for lengthy periods of time.

1) Does it mean that the Goshawk is out/has changed role?

2) I guess this is a three-step gen power and that the 1st step has ordinary munition and that the 3rd step has the cluster pod. Am I right?

3) Are they two different gen. powers then? Since I suppose Bomber Command wouldn't waste a high-cost smart bomb if the target and its surroundings would be totally obliterated by the dear old Grand Slam.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DELETED MEMBER
post 12 Dec 2012, 22:09
Post #5

BANNED
Group Icon

Member No.: 48

Interesting, so the Harrier through made in UK is spanish piloted, hope they dont crash tongue.gif

so there are two gen powers with eurofighters doing a run then?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dangerman
post 12 Dec 2012, 22:19
Post #6

I fits I sits
Group Icon

Member No.: 1107

I'm guessing the difference between the Goshawk and the Harrier is:

Goshawk - For taking out clusters of units.

Harrier - Taking out single, heavier, more armored targets or Infantry efficently. Edit - Also some airborne targets (such as the rusting junk that makes up the GLA airforce).

This post has been edited by dangerman1337: 12 Dec 2012, 22:24

+Quote Post
__CrUsHeR
post 12 Dec 2012, 22:27
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 9084
"No. Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise."

Another epic battle on the coast of England, reading about Shocktroopers they remind me of Tolkien's Orcs. mindfuck.gif

The skins of the fighters are very beautiful, and the Harrier being piloted by the Spanish was a big surprise.

I'm curious to know how the Vulcan's bomb will work in the game.

--------------------

You already imagined how would be SAP in the ROTR's universe? Check out this fan-fiction: South American Pact Introduction

+Quote Post
RocketMan
post 12 Dec 2012, 23:06
Post #8

The Observer
Group Icon

Member No.: 341
Silent, but deadly SWR projects observer

The SWR team wants to thank you for voting Rise of the Reds into the ModDB Mod of the Year Top 100. Your loyalty throughout the many years, some of great activity, some of painful silence, will soon be rewarded with the release of version 1.8. Until then, stay tuned for more updates.

Guys, I believe that really there is no true need to thank us. The truth is that IMHO you truly achieved a form of mastery when it comes to modding Generals. The quality of Shw and RotR is IMHO almost, if not equal to a professionally made game, even if RotR is still in its beta stages. The amount of work, time spent on it, and the fact that it's still being worked on, after so many years speak very much for themselves, and if I'm to be honest I truly believe that you guys have a lot of potential to try to create you own game. I wish you luck and persistence in the future, that we could see games made with devotion and persistence equal to that which keeps you guys making this mod beer1.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mcbob
post 12 Dec 2012, 23:16
Post #9

Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 52

The insignia on the tail of the Harrier, is that Spanish? It looks similar to the Spanish Navy's but slightly different.

+Quote Post
swVen
post 12 Dec 2012, 23:17
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 9322

Awesome conclusion. Thought for a second there would a be a "300"-style scene, and IIRC someone did mention a dedicated update would introduce the Pandora, was hoping for probably an epic scale artillery strike would level the Russians.
But I was not disappointed, for me, this was an "under-promise", over deliver" update!

So, the standard couple of questions:

1) How does the harrier function in comparison to Goshawk. I'm assuming these two aircraft fill separate niches?

2) The tear gas I'm assuming functions like the USA's leaflet drop? I remember there was also a mention from a ModDb member "NergiZed" that the Goshawk would also deploy "special bombs that disables vehicles by dispensing a special chemical vapors that solidify in combustion engines."
Will there be a General's power that can also drop this?

3) reviving the "Grand Slam" from World War II eh? I'm guessing the FX effect and ability will be similar to ShW's Gaia cannon?

+Quote Post
Nemanja
post 12 Dec 2012, 23:25
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 9081

Lovely update.
What actually this Eurofighter strikes do ?
Vulcan makes Earthquakes as Tigress weaponry from SW ?
And what is a Smart Bomb and how it is functioning ?

+Quote Post
Knjaz.
post 12 Dec 2012, 23:30
Post #12

Group Icon

Group: Tester
Member No.: 9155

ShockTroopers start to remind me about Emperor: Battle for Dune sardaukars, that "Don't take cover cause it's a sign of cowardice".

Imho, they're a bit too expendable for an elite unit. I.e., their style of fighting - it'd be just impossible to train enough of those if they're being thrown out like that.

As for the rest, great ending. I guess, poorly planned landing operation is poorly planned indeed biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
BlitzGeneral
post 13 Dec 2012, 0:17
Post #13

Group Icon

Member No.: 146

How does the Harrier fare in air-air attacks, and how is it different to the Goshawk? I hope they're both going to be useful--without being offensive it feels strange to see such an advanced plane right next to what's almost a museum piece by now.

+Quote Post
DELETED MEMBER
post 13 Dec 2012, 0:27
Post #14

BANNED
Group Icon

QUOTE (Mcbob @ 12 Dec 2012, 23:16) *
The insignia on the tail of the Harrier, is that Spanish? It looks similar to the Spanish Navy's but slightly different.

Is Charles insignia

--------------------

+Quote Post
ArsenalXA4
post 13 Dec 2012, 0:47
Post #15

The harbinger of bad decisions
Group Icon

Member No.: 9056

QUOTE (BlitzGeneral @ 12 Dec 2012, 17:17) *
How does the Harrier fare in air-air attacks, and how is it different to the Goshawk? I hope they're both going to be useful--without being offensive it feels strange to see such an advanced plane right next to what's almost a museum piece by now.

Speaking of museum pieces, how about the American Cobra gunship? First time those saw action was in Vietnam. And don't get me started on the B-52. Just saying.

Any who, these updates make me want to play the ECA even more now.

--------------------

"I went to Afghanistan and all I got was Shrapnel!"
-Anonymous

+Quote Post
Guest_Vintorez_*
post 13 Dec 2012, 0:57
Post #16

Guests

QUOTE (ArsenalXA4 @ 12 Dec 2012, 17:47) *
Speaking of museum pieces, how about the American Cobra gunship? First time those saw action was in Vietnam.

The Bell AH-1 is still in active use by the US Marines:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_AH-1_SuperCobra

You're probably thinking of the original US Army Bell AH-1 Cobra, but the "Cobra" in the game is the more modern Marine Corps version.

QUOTE (Joakim @ 12 Dec 2012, 15:05) *
1) Does it mean that the Goshawk is out/has changed role?

If I recall correctly, the Goshawk is a General Charles-only aircraft, while the Harrier is used by all ECA generals. I'm not sure if the Goshawk replaces the Harrier for Charles, or if it's a separate unique unit.

This post has been edited by Vintorez: 13 Dec 2012, 0:59

+Quote Post
Mcbob
post 13 Dec 2012, 0:59
Post #17

Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 52

QUOTE (Kirasama @ 13 Dec 2012, 0:27) *
Is Charles insignia

Ah whoops. Completely overlooked that one.

+Quote Post
DELETED MEMBER
post 13 Dec 2012, 1:10
Post #18

BANNED
Group Icon

QUOTE (ArsenalXA4 @ 13 Dec 2012, 0:47) *
Speaking of museum pieces, how about the American Cobra gunship? First time those saw action was in Vietnam. And don't get me started on the B-52. Just saying.

to be fair, USA is still using "museum pieces" because they are better at they job than any remplacements they make, to the point than they are scarvenging oout of service aircrafts to repair the ones on service, and just because they look the same doesnt mean they are 100% the same

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Vintorez_*
post 13 Dec 2012, 1:18
Post #19

Guests

QUOTE (Kirasama @ 12 Dec 2012, 17:27) *
Is Charles insignia

I had thought the Harrier was for all ECA generals, and that Charles would get the Goshawk as either a replacement or as a separate Aircraft. Has that changed?

EDIT: Actually scratch that - I remember now that the team had said that the Goshawk was a Charles Replacement for the Tiger Gunship (which Willem and Wolfgang will have instead). So the Harrier is a Charles-only aircraft then?

This post has been edited by Vintorez: 13 Dec 2012, 1:19

+Quote Post
Serialkillerwhal...
post 13 Dec 2012, 1:28
Post #20

Orcinius Genocidalus
Group Icon

Member No.: 9223
No, you move.

The B-52 is in real life going to be in service post-2040.
Reality IS unrealistic.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Admiral FCS
post 13 Dec 2012, 1:38
Post #21

Anime Addict
Group Icon

Member No.: 31

Oh nice, battlecruisers. And these aircrafts are indeed awesome. idk, I'm running out of words to describe my joy each time I see new updates.

+Quote Post
Diamondcutter
post 13 Dec 2012, 1:42
Post #22

Always delivers. Always.
Group Icon

Member No.: 39
Like knife through butter.

So all the ECA air assets are commanded by the RAF? or did ECA just say "F it!" and took RAF roundel as their own? lol

What is interesting is the source of these aircraft (Harrier and Vulcan), IIRC ECA would have to build new ones since the Vulcans were retired in the 80s and Harriers were retired by the RAF last year without a replacement. :/ Even if they can by back from the Armada they only have about 20 operating, and the Armada's also seeking a replacement for it.

So the point is, would they have visual updates since they're newly built aircrafts? lol They could use some modernizing on the avionics...

This post has been edited by Diamondcutter: 13 Dec 2012, 2:23

--------------------

When we are here, we finish our jobs.

European Continental Alliance Strategic Aviation

+Quote Post
Alex1guy
post 13 Dec 2012, 1:51
Post #23

The Whimsical Story Teller
Group Icon

Member No.: 9123

Moving swiftly through the water, cannon's blazing as she came,
Sending mighty Russian warlords, crashing down in sheets of flame.
Sensing victory was nearing, thinking fortune must have smiled.
People started cheering. 'COME ON THUNDERCHILD!'"

biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Alex1guy: 13 Dec 2012, 1:51

--------------------
"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat" -Sun Tzu

+Quote Post
__CrUsHeR
post 13 Dec 2012, 2:37
Post #24

Group Icon

Member No.: 9084
"No. Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise."

QUOTE (BlitzGeneral @ 12 Dec 2012, 21:17) *

Well I agree that the Harrier is a really outdated aircraft and its capabilities are limited, however the ROTR not seem to have any intent to submit only ultra modern units or even competitive in the military sphere, the goal is to show units iconic and super fun that make you have a higher affinity for their favorite faction.

--------------------

You already imagined how would be SAP in the ROTR's universe? Check out this fan-fiction: South American Pact Introduction

+Quote Post
Mr.Kim
post 13 Dec 2012, 3:20
Post #25

Losing Karma to Vault Boy
Group Icon

Group: Tester
Member No.: 34
Some future plan mod for AoE3:Asian Dynasty or FO4

Let me cleaer about Harrier, Goshawk, and Eurofighters.

1. Both are VTOL aircrafts(both are exclusive for General Charles) .

2. Harrier can attack both air and ground target.

3. Goshawk can attack only ground target.

4. Eurofighters for General power unit(try watch trailer again and check some screenshot from facebook).

--------------------

Let's kick this Russian Tank's ass back to the Bronze Age!

Twitch Chart ID: Mr_kim82

Moddb ID: Mr_Kim

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25 April 2024 - 21:36