A Giant Thank You, RedDeadSmeg!
3rdShockArmy
post 6 Oct 2017, 23:19
Post #1

Chat Nick
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 11096
If you ever decide to invade Russia, for the love of God, bring some warm clothes. We don't want you to blame the "evil Russian winter" when you get crushed, like everyone else who tried.

RedDeadSmeg is, by far, the most valuable non-Dev member of this community. Making dozens of incredible missions made me play this magnificent mod again, after a long pause. And I am sure this is true for many other members of this community. If I may, I would like to suggest to RedDeadSmeg to put all of his missions in one campaign and upload it. Arrange the missions in whichever order you like, but it would be great to have all of them together, in some kind of a chronological order. KUDOS to RedDeadSmeg! Keep up the great work!

This post has been edited by 3rdShockArmy: 6 Oct 2017, 23:20

--------------------
Oh Lord, have mercy, for I am unworthy!

Air war in Europe

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RedDeadSmeg
post 7 Oct 2017, 0:26
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 13220

QUOTE (3rdShockArmy @ 6 Oct 2017, 23:19) *
RedDeadSmeg is, by far, the most valuable non-Dev member of this community. Making dozens of incredible missions made me play this magnificent mod again, after a long pause. And I am sure this is true for many other members of this community. If I may, I would like to suggest to RedDeadSmeg to put all of his missions in one campaign and upload it. Arrange the missions in whichever order you like, but it would be great to have all of them together, in some kind of a chronological order. KUDOS to RedDeadSmeg! Keep up the great work!

Thanks 3rdShockArmy. If it wasn't for the hard work of the developers of ROTR I wouldn't have been inspired to make custom maps at all. The credit should go to them and the community for keeping Command and Conquer alive for us fans. The feedback I get from the likes of yourself, Mizo, Skitt, X1Destroy amongst others has really helped improve my knowledge of scripting and mission planning with Worldbuilder.

In regards to making a fully fledged campaign, I can see that happening. It might take a while considering I work full time but I am starting to string these missions together and I was happy with the outcome of the Orlov Campaign I finished about two months ago. Like I said in my mission Exit Wounds, I am currently working on a mini GLA campaign which may tie in with the Orlov missions, so keep an eye out for that. smile.gif

I really appreciate the support you have shown and it is the reason why I have managed to create and improve custom mission maps for this great mod.

Thanks again smile.gif

+Quote Post
Calvin
post 7 Oct 2017, 7:49
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 12618

Congratulations on being appreciated your campaign maps make the long wait just a bit shorter which is all the more nice

+Quote Post
RedDeadSmeg
post 7 Oct 2017, 8:24
Post #4

Group Icon

QUOTE (Calvin @ 7 Oct 2017, 7:49) *
Congratulations on being appreciated your campaign maps make the long wait just a bit shorter which is all the more nice

Thanks mate, the fact that you messaged me with a tool to help my work shows how much some of the members want more campaign missions. smile.gif

+Quote Post
3rdShockArmy
post 7 Oct 2017, 14:18
Post #5

Chat Nick
Group Icon

Member No.: 11096
If you ever decide to invade Russia, for the love of God, bring some warm clothes. We don't want you to blame the "evil Russian winter" when you get crushed, like everyone else who tried.

Of course. I would also like to thank everyone else who contributed to this great mod! biggrin.gif RedDeadSmeg, as I said, your work is fantastic and I can't wait for more, whenever, whatever it may be. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Oh Lord, have mercy, for I am unworthy!

Air war in Europe

+Quote Post
ZunZero97
post 7 Oct 2017, 20:02
Post #6

A Legendary Fox
Group Icon

Member No.: 10865
a man who play videogames, What are you waiting for me?

from "Member" to "Dev Team"
i like campaign because i know how ROTR is developed in terms of history

+Quote Post
Mizo
post 7 Oct 2017, 21:45
Post #7

AI Coding Expert
Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 10450

from "Member" to "Dev Team"
i like campaign because i know how ROTR is developed in terms of history

I wouldn't mind that personally tongue.gif

--------------------

Not a Rusty Spoon........The_Hunter uses a goddamn wooden spoon on his AI Scripters....

+Quote Post
Oliver
post 7 Oct 2017, 22:12
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 10072

I don't want to sound like an asshole, haven't played the missions, but I did take a look at one of the maps, and they are not exactly good looking... You might want to have that in your consideration when mapping in WB despite how the mission unrolls.

+Quote Post
RedDeadSmeg
post 7 Oct 2017, 22:42
Post #9

Group Icon

QUOTE (Oliver @ 7 Oct 2017, 22:12) *
I don't want to sound like an asshole, haven't played the missions, but I did take a look at one of the maps, and they are not exactly good looking... You might want to have that in your consideration when mapping in WB despite how the mission unrolls.

Which map do you mean?

+Quote Post
Oliver
post 7 Oct 2017, 23:22
Post #10

Group Icon

"Exit Wounds 1.87", is a hard one to look at, don't even know where to begin...

ChemicalRain:
- The Gla walls that you placed, all facing the same direction, giving a very repetitive looking in the wall (simple turning some 180º and adding some other small props on the wall might break that look);

ColdShower:
- Lack of trees on the player base I assume (initial camera position)
- That top elevation where the airfield is, is odd, military docks or even normal ones will give it a better look

RedRevolutionRussia:
- The way you placed the trees on the crop fields is way too geometrical
- Those ouble walls look also odd, you could incorporate another type of props if you are looking for a more sophisticated/fortified blockage, ex. https://i.imgur.com/UASQVMe.png

This post has been edited by Oliver: 7 Oct 2017, 23:23

+Quote Post
RedDeadSmeg
post 8 Oct 2017, 11:27
Post #11

Group Icon

QUOTE (Oliver @ 7 Oct 2017, 23:22) *
"Exit Wounds 1.87", is a hard one to look at, don't even know where to begin...

ChemicalRain:
- The Gla walls that you placed, all facing the same direction, giving a very repetitive looking in the wall (simple turning some 180º and adding some other small props on the wall might break that look);

ColdShower:
- Lack of trees on the player base I assume (initial camera position)
- That top elevation where the airfield is, is odd, military docks or even normal ones will give it a better look

RedRevolutionRussia:
- The way you placed the trees on the crop fields is way too geometrical
- Those ouble walls look also odd, you could incorporate another type of props if you are looking for a more sophisticated/fortified blockage, ex. https://i.imgur.com/UASQVMe.png

Wow, and I thought some of those were my best work.

The Red Revolution map is designed to be as close to the Red Alert 2 original map as possible, hence why the trees are geometrical and the walls are placed that way.

I assume you don't like the concrete fortress in Exit Wounds. It's not designed to be appealing to the eye, but rather show how far the ECA are willing to change their African territories to their liking.

The other comments you make are fair, I will keep them in mind if I ever go back to those maps.

I've always designed my missions with substance over style. I just don't have the artistic eye that others do, so if someone thinks they can improve the maps visually, I welcome and encourage them to do that.

Thanks for the feedback.

+Quote Post
Oliver
post 8 Oct 2017, 13:26
Post #12

Group Icon

Again don't take this as a "shit on your work", quite the contrary really... People seem to like how you dictate your missions, might find even find some time to play a couple of them, this only a tip to make them more visually appealing... Sure it might take more time and patience to make these kind of maps, but the final product would be worth it.

This post has been edited by Oliver: 8 Oct 2017, 13:27

+Quote Post
RedDeadSmeg
post 8 Oct 2017, 14:00
Post #13

Group Icon

QUOTE (Oliver @ 8 Oct 2017, 13:26) *
Again don't take this as a "shit on your work", quite the contrary really... People seem to like how you dictate your missions, might find even find some time to play a couple of them, this only a tip to make them more visually appealing... Sure it might take more time and patience to make these kind of maps, but the final product would be worth it.

Don't worry, I don't see you being an arsehole, quite the opposite. I really do need feedback, especially visually, to improve these maps. So your suggestions like using docks in Cold Shoulder are exactly what I need as I would have never thought to use them in that way. Your criticisms are constructive, doable and what turns a good (hopefully) mission great.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28 March 2024 - 18:54