IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Culinary Disscusion, because we can disscus things that aren't politics too.
The_Hunter
post 2 Jun 2014, 23:15
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 1
Projects: SWR Productions
Bitch slapping SAGE since 2003

So we have a fairly rich community from people from all over the world so i figured this would be a very interesting topic to disscus.

I myself do enjoy cooking quite abit so we can disscus various meals you'v had or made before and how to make them and share them smile.gif
heres one i'v made a few times for myself and other foreign friends when i came over to visit them:

Hutspot or Wortelstampot (carrotstew is the closest translation i can think of here) is made purely out of unions, patatoes and carrots with some salt.
This is how you prepare this meal:

First of you take a good bunch of patatoes then include 1/4 of unions and carrots compared to the ammount of patatoes you have.
Peel the skin of the patatoes with a small knife and chop up the unions and carrots in to small peices.
Boil the patatoes in some water and add a fair ammount of salt (this can also be done afterwards but i like to do it while its cooking).
After about 10 minutes of boiling you will include the unions and carrots and boil it for an other 10 minutes

when thats done use a fork to test if your patoes are boiled enough since the fork should go straigh throug them without effort if this is not the case you have to boil them abit longer untill they do.
When the patatoes are done you get the water out of your pan and use a patato masher to mash it all up in to a nice paste put it on a dish and serve it with some meat of your own choice and done!

now lets see what more interesting dishes or receipes other people can share smile.gif

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GDIZOCOM
post 3 Jun 2014, 1:21
Post #2

Level 17.4
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 131
Immaturity Incarnate

That looks quite tasty biggrin.gif

The only dishes I'm able to make myself at the moment are carbonara or spaghetti because I rarely cook (though I'm leaning on doing more). It's what you'd typically expect but I like making my Italian-style carbonara (American version usually adds mushrooms and cream to the dish which I don't do) a bit different because instead of just having bacon, eggs and black pepper in it I like to add more things like ham and sausages to it in addition to the main ingredients so it's meaty.

And I'm just a bit curious, do you guys over there eat rice frequently? And which dishes are they normally used in?

--------------------

+Quote Post
GeneralCamo
post 3 Jun 2014, 1:22
Post #3

That person
Group Icon

Group: Project Leader
Member No.: 417
C&C ShockWave Co-Leader

Didn't we have a thread like this a while ago? I remember seeing some nice recipes in there.

+Quote Post
MARS
post 3 Jun 2014, 5:47
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 10

In b4 culinary chauvinism, followed by flamewars laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Knossos
post 3 Jun 2014, 7:44
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 9942

Lucky Me Pancit Canton

How to cook:

1. Open packet.
2. Heat water for 5 mins.
3. Put noodles in hot water.
4. Let simmer for 3 minutes.
5. Drain water.
6. Put seasoning on top.
7. Mix.

Done.

Seriously, this is the zenith of my cooking skills.

--------------------
"The biggest problem of humanity is that it sees the failures first before the successes."

+Quote Post
Thelord444
post 3 Jun 2014, 10:37
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 9986

I don't know how to cook anything sad.gif

And my favorite dish is pizza, pizza is awesome, but if you want some local nice recipes, here's a couple:

1- Kanafeh, (No idea how to translate it lol)

Its an Arabic dessert that's to me the best dessert of all time, The pastry is heated in butter, margarine, or palm oil, then spread with soft white cheese, such as Nabulsi cheese, and topped with more pastry. In khishnah kanafeh the cheese is rolled in the pastry. A thick syrup of sugar, water, and a few drops of rose water or orange blossom water is poured on the pastry during the final minutes of cooking. Often the top layer of pastry is tinted with orange food coloring. Crushed pistachios are sprinkled on top as a garnish. [All from wikipedia, i have no idea how to make it mindfuck.gif ]

I don't recommend trying it, because if you do you will NEVER stop eating it biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Note: That's cheese in the pic, i don't recommend it with cheese its much better with cream.

This post has been edited by Thelord444: 3 Jun 2014, 10:39

--------------------
"He who heard is not like he who saw"

+Quote Post
wb21
post 3 Jun 2014, 15:58
Post #7

Товарищ
Group Icon

Member No.: 175
ex-D' WRTHBRNGR

Some fried rice recipe I whipped up a couple of months ago: mindfuck.gif

Bring in a couple of caseless sausages, break them apart while being fried, and cook until done. Set aside.
Saute garlic until browned and add rice.
Add in the sausage pieces, a bit of salt, some pepper and whatever dried herbs available, and honey to taste, and mix them all up until cooked just right.
Serve and enjoy, with an egg or two sunnyside up. XD.gif

--------------------

"Not in mood...go away..."
"We are going to have to act, if we want to live in a different world."

Bringing wrath to a forum near you since 2009!

+Quote Post
Svea Rike
post 3 Jun 2014, 16:04
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 9540

Swedish meatballs. It's pretty much required for you to know how to make Swedish meatballs in order to be Swedish. For further information, see here.

As soon as you've tasted Swedish meatballs you won't even associate them with Italy anymore biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
The_Hunter
post 3 Jun 2014, 16:39
Post #9

Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 1
Projects: SWR Productions
Bitch slapping SAGE since 2003

^ What exactly is it that makes a swedish meat ball "Swedish" btw?

Looking at the recipe it looks like a fairly standard meatball that i'v been making and dining for years now

--------------------

+Quote Post
Knossos
post 3 Jun 2014, 16:41
Post #10

Group Icon

QUOTE (The_Hunter @ 3 Jun 2014, 23:39) *

Looking at the recipe it looks like a fairly standard meatball that i'v been making and dining for years now

Maybe if we make it in Sweden. mindfuck.gif

--------------------
"The biggest problem of humanity is that it sees the failures first before the successes."

+Quote Post
Serialkillerwhal...
post 3 Jun 2014, 18:05
Post #11

Orcinius Genocidalus
Group Icon

Member No.: 9223
No, you move.

I'd like to mention Poutine Chilli where you replace the gravy with chilli (1/2 Tblsp of mixed chilli powder, based on your preferences, 1/2 Tblsp of parika 1 tblsp of cumin, 1 of dried, diced cayennes with half a pound of ground beef) con carne. This is for the "Party" edition.

Add more heat for when you know (or don't care if) everyone dining can take it.

The resulting mix should be somewhat edible, unless you used shitty beef instead of proper Canadian Corn-and-Barley-fed Beef. You can't polish a turd (Unless your a mythbuster) and you can't make bad beef taste as good as real beef.

ALTERNATE SECRIT RECIP

1:Buy French Fries from your local Fast Food source.
2:Also buy chilli
3:And Mashed Potatoes
4:Don't forget cheese
5: Throw it all into a large pot, mix, stuff face

EDIT:
Hutspot or Wortelstampot (carrotstew is the closest translation i can think of here) is made purely out of unions, patatoes and carrots with some salt.

Good for you and the economy!

This post has been edited by Serialkillerwhale: 3 Jun 2014, 18:10

--------------------

+Quote Post
Svea Rike
post 3 Jun 2014, 19:03
Post #12

Group Icon

Member No.: 9540

QUOTE (The_Hunter @ 3 Jun 2014, 17:39) *

Well, "In Sweden, köttbullar (meatballs) are made with ground beef or a mix of ground beef, pork and sometimes veal, sometimes including breadcrumbs soaked in milk, finely chopped (fried) onions, some broth and often including cream. They are seasoned with white pepper or allspice and salt. Swedish meatballs are traditionally served with gravy, boiled potatoes, lingonberry jam, and sometimes fresh pickled cucumber. Traditionally, they are small, measuring one inch in diameter. When Charles XII of Sweden was in exile in Istanbul in the early 18th century, he took the recipe back to Sweden." is what Wikipedia says. We also cook it a lot, like once a week or so, and it is served in IKEA making it wildly known.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Karpet
post 4 Jun 2014, 4:26
Post #13

Comrade Bear
Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 9722
Projects: Deep Impact

QUOTE (Knossos @ 3 Jun 2014, 2:44) *

Lucky Me Pancit Canton

How to cook:

1. Open packet.
5. Drain water.
6. Put seasoning on top.
7. Mix.

Done.

It's akin to my ramen noodle making skills mindfuck.gif

--------------------
Your feeling of helplessness is your best friend, savage.

+Quote Post
HMS Warspite
post 4 Jun 2014, 5:36
Post #14

Queen Elizabeth-class Battleship
Group Icon

Member No.: 9874
Hello, Admire-ral!

QUOTE (Knossos @ 3 Jun 2014, 7:44) *

Lucky Me Pancit Canton

How to cook:

1. Open packet.
5. Drain water.
6. Put seasoning on top.
7. Mix.

Done.

This was a common breakfast meal when we were younger.

Side Question: Are you a Filipino?

+Quote Post
Knossos
post 4 Jun 2014, 6:47
Post #15

Group Icon

QUOTE (Bergzak @ 4 Jun 2014, 12:36) *

Side Question: Are you a Filipino?

I'm Fil-Jap. Staying here with my mother for studies.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Serialkillerwhal...
post 4 Jun 2014, 16:00
Post #16

Orcinius Genocidalus
Group Icon

No, you move.

Damn, how bad's the racism?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Knossos
post 4 Jun 2014, 17:36
Post #17

Group Icon

QUOTE (Serialkillerwhale @ 4 Jun 2014, 23:00) *
Damn, how bad's the racism?

None, except for the occasional connection with Otakus and the horrible high expectations for an Asian.

EDIT: I now know how to cook Spaghetti, the Filipino way!

1. Get spaghetti noodles.
2. Boil them.
3. Prepare sauce consisting of tomato sauce, hot dogs (chopped), onions (chopped), ground meat and a pinch of sugar to taste.
4. Once noodles are soft enough, drain.
5. Cook the sauce under low heat.
6. When done, mix with noodles. Add cheese on top for some color.

TL;DR: How to Make Filipino Spaghetti

This post has been edited by Knossos: 4 Jun 2014, 17:40

--------------------

+Quote Post
Serialkillerwhal...
post 4 Jun 2014, 17:44
Post #18

Orcinius Genocidalus
Group Icon

No, you move.

So my reception was less "Xenophobia" and more "Can't tell Canadians from Americans"

It seems to be the curse of the Canadian, to always be mistaken for an American.

This post has been edited by Serialkillerwhale: 4 Jun 2014, 17:45

--------------------

+Quote Post
GDIZOCOM
post 5 Jun 2014, 0:04
Post #19

Level 17.4
Group Icon

Member No.: 131
Immaturity Incarnate

QUOTE (Bergzak @ 4 Jun 2014, 5:36) *

Until now it's my common meal when I get home from class in the afternoon 8Ip.png I still prefer it over all the other instant noodle products here

--------------------

+Quote Post
Knossos
post 5 Jun 2014, 3:13
Post #20

Group Icon

QUOTE (Serialkillerwhale @ 5 Jun 2014, 0:44) *
So my reception was less "Xenophobia" and more "Can't tell Canadians from Americans"

It seems to be the curse of the Canadian, to always be mistaken for an American.

Here's my guide to differentiate Canadians from Americans.

Americans in a war: *Firing blindly* KILL THEM ALL!

Canadians in a war: *Fire* Sorry. *Fire* Sorry. *Fire* Sorry. *Reload* You need to run now before I shoot you again!

----

Anyway, this thread has encouraged me to take extra culinary classes this coming semester, to supplement my lacking cooking skills. Thanks guys.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Serialkillerwhal...
post 5 Jun 2014, 3:24
Post #21

Orcinius Genocidalus
Group Icon

No, you move.

QUOTE (Knossos @ 4 Jun 2014, 19:13) *
Here's my guide to differentiate Canadians from Americans.

Americans in a war: *Firing blindly* KILL THEM ALL!

Canadians in a war: *Fire* Sorry. *Fire* Sorry. *Fire* Sorry. *Reload* You need to run now before I shoot you again!

----

Anyway, this thread has encouraged me to take extra culinary classes this coming semester, to supplement my lacking cooking skills. Thanks guys.

It's funny because it's true.

Atleast when your out hunting anyway.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alias
post 5 Jun 2014, 10:41
Post #22

Cool Guy
Group Icon

Group: Legend
Member No.: 46

I enjoy cooking a lot and can cook quite a variety of dishes, but I don't usually get to cook as my flatmate and I both work quite late, and cooking for one person is quite difficult as even when cooking a small portion it is usually enough to last several days (you really don't want to eat only two different things in a week).

Besides that, I've lived away from home long enough now that I can cook quite a few things to some degree of proficiency, mostly basic country French or Swiss recipes as that is what I learnt from my family (considering the other side of my family is predominantly English, there's a reason they left the culinary side of things to the Continental side...).

Gschnätzlets, which is sliced veal in white wine/mushroom sauce:

Which I normally make with either:
Rösti, which is pretty much a potato pancake, although I like mine to be quite loose and not as much of a disc as this one:

or Knopfle, which are small ball-shaped egg noodles:

Coq au Vin/Bœuf Bourguignon, both quite similar and very easy to make — slow cooked chicken or beef in red wine:

You can get recipes for all of these if you Google, although you'll probably get much better quality results searching in German (-insert name- Rezept) or French (-insert name- Recette).
I can cook other very generic food, but if I do cooking I usually bother to do something interesting.

Since others mentioned Instant Noodle I thought I'd add my favourite here which I have occasionally when I'm really lazy and can't be bothered leaving the house — 康师傅老坛酸菜牛肉面/Master Kong Chinese Pickled Vegetable Beef Noodle Soup:

The 红烧牛肉面 is also pretty nice too, although I prefer the 酸菜.

Most of the time, however, I just don't cook and go gastronomy exploring around Sydney city, as I can walk about 500 metres in any direction from my apartment and get all varieties of food.

This post has been edited by Alias: 5 Jun 2014, 10:44

--------------------

+Quote Post
GeneralCamo
post 5 Jun 2014, 12:37
Post #23

That person
Group Icon

Member No.: 417
C&C ShockWave Co-Leader

I can cook bread and American Pizzas. I can make other things too, but I haven't tried in a long time.

+Quote Post
(USA)Bruce
post 6 Jun 2014, 10:32
Post #24

The Forums American Hotshot Flyboy
Group Icon

Group: Tester
From: The foundation of modern freedom and Liberty;United States of America.
Member No.: 9500

QUOTE (Thelord444 @ 3 Jun 2014, 11:37) *
I don't know how to cook anything sad.gif

And my favorite dish is pizza, pizza is awesome, but if you want some local nice recipes, here's a couple:

1- Kanafeh, (No idea how to translate it lol)

Its an Arabic dessert that's to me the best dessert of all time, The pastry is heated in butter, margarine, or palm oil, then spread with soft white cheese, such as Nabulsi cheese, and topped with more pastry. In khishnah kanafeh the cheese is rolled in the pastry. A thick syrup of sugar, water, and a few drops of rose water or orange blossom water is poured on the pastry during the final minutes of cooking. Often the top layer of pastry is tinted with orange food coloring. Crushed pistachios are sprinkled on top as a garnish. [All from wikipedia, i have no idea how to make it mindfuck.gif ]

I don't recommend trying it, because if you do you will NEVER stop eating it biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Note: That's cheese in the pic, i don't recommend it with cheese its much better with cream.

OBJECTION! It is NOT an arabic dessert what so ever.I've been to hatay and the turkish wikipedia page says;*Künefe, kadayıf ve peynirden yapılan ve sıcak olarak servis edilen, Doğu Akdeniz yöresine ait bir tatlı çeşididir. Anavatanı Hatay olan künefe, farklı şekillerde Mersin, Adana, Gaziantep, Kilis, Şanlıurfa, Diyarbakır ve Mardin'de yapılır.*
Künefe is Kanafeh in english is a dessert made of Kanafeh and cheese and is served hot.Orginating from the eastern mediterian .Its homeland being Hatay,diffrent versions can be found in Mersin,Adana Gaziantep,Şanlı Urfa,Diyarbakır and Mardin. (Hatay is a city close to syria and I've visted while going to iskenderun for vacation)
Thou Im not bashing you for the facts cause wikipedia can/does get changed by the majority of idiots on the net.Sheesh people Its a turkish dessert

Another note; On my own experiance; Dont try to make Künefe or the local Baklava without someone who knows what they are doing cause In that area of turkey they pass the art from generation to generation.Trust me its very diffrent from factory made, just heat up and eat style.I tried to do both and should have pics of my epic fail tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Brusa chan: 6 Jun 2014, 10:52

--------------------

+Quote Post
Thelord444
post 6 Jun 2014, 11:05
Post #25

Group Icon

Member No.: 9986

QUOTE (Brusa chan @ 6 Jun 2014, 12:32) *

OBJECTION! It is NOT an arabic dessert what so ever.I've been to hatay and the turkish wikipedia page says;*Künefe, kadayıf ve peynirden yapılan ve sıcak olarak servis edilen, Doğu Akdeniz yöresine ait bir tatlı çeşididir. Anavatanı Hatay olan künefe, farklı şekillerde Mersin, Adana, Gaziantep, Kilis, Şanlıurfa, Diyarbakır ve Mardin'de yapılır.*
Künefe is Kanafeh in english is a dessert made of Kanafeh and cheese and is served hot.Orginating from the eastern mediterian .Its homeland being Hatay,diffrent versions can be found in Mersin,Adana Gaziantep,Şanlı Urfa,Diyarbakır and Mardin. (Hatay is a city close to syria and I've visted while going to iskenderun for vacation)
Thou Im not bashing you for the facts cause wikipedia can/does get changed by the majority of idiots on the net.Sheesh people Its a turkish dessert

Another note; On my own experiance; Dont try to make Künefe or the local Baklava without someone who knows what they are doing cause In that area of turkey they pass the art from generation to generation.Trust me its very diffrent from factory made, just heat up and eat style.I tried to do both and should have pics of my epic fail tongue.gif

Thanks for correcting me, a lot of Arabic foods seem to have originated from Turkey and vice-versa, easy to get mixed since they have been in Arabia a lot that you think its Arabic.

--------------------
"He who heard is not like he who saw"

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29 March 2024 - 1:45