Reply to this topicStart new topic
Make Pandora Protocol Replace All Tear Gas With Nerve Gas
Jakato
post 7 Feb 2018, 17:49
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 16473

I've gone through the .ini files and I can't work out how the Pandora Protocol swaps the Tear Gas strike with the Nerve Gas strike. I can't find the point in the .ini files where the abilities/commands are swapped.

I am also not 100% sure how the Nerve Gas weapon works. As far as I can work out, the bomber swoops in and rapidly fires a weapon that shoots out the bombs (which are set to randomly scatter), which explode as soon as they spawn and release nerve gas. The nerve gas bombs attack in several different ways at once. I think there is a "pilot kill" attack, a "anti-infantry" attack and a "surrender" attack (like the flashbang one).

What I don't get is where all these attacks are specified. I'd need to create a custom mortar pit tear-gas attack but I don't even understand how the existing tear gas attack works.

I'd appreciate help from the devs/testers/anyone who gets what is going on.

P.S. I realize this would hilariously break the game and cause a disaster if a stealth unit was detected near my units. Also the build up of dead units would make the game lag. Even so, I really want to see the mayhem.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hanfield
post 7 Feb 2018, 18:51
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 10884

Pandora replaces Tear Gas with Nerve Gas via UpgradeOCL in the OCLSpecialPower in the RegionCommand INI file. The Nerve Gas itself fires two weapons: one kills infantry, the other fires two pilot cleaning weapons - one for either instantly killing bike logic units or making them spawn an unmanned version of themselves, the other spawns an object for actually clearing vehicles via KILL_PILOT.

This post has been edited by Hanfield: 7 Feb 2018, 18:52

--------------------
"don't live, hanfield"
"i swear to god, if this was a room full of you people i'd be taking off my gloves and slapping hanfield every 5 minutes"

- bruce 2016

+Quote Post
Jakato
post 7 Feb 2018, 20:54
Post #3

Group Icon

I'm guessing this bit is the one that swaps the tear gas strike for the nerve gas strike:

CODE
Behavior           = OCLSpecialPower ModuleTag_GenPower04
    SpecialPowerTemplate = SuperweaponEuropeTearGasStrike
    UpgradeOCL           = SCIENCE_NerveGasStrike SUPERWEAPON_EUROPE_NERVEGAS_STRIKE
    OCL                  = SUPERWEAPON_EUROPE_TEARGAS_STRIKE
    ReferenceObject      = EuropeTearGasDecalPreviewObject
    CreateLocation       = CREATE_AT_LOCATION
  End

It seems that in the Research Facility ini it is set up to grant the "science" SCIENCE_NerveGasStrike when the Pandora protocol is complete. I'm guessing that SCIENCE_NerveGasStrike is a condition for the ability swap, based on the line: "UpgradeOCL = SCIENCE_NerveGasStrike SUPERWEAPON_EUROPE_NERVEGAS_STRIKE".

So in theory, I can define a nerve gas mortar attack and tell the mortar to switch to it if SCIENCE_NerveGasStrike is made available (once the Pandora Protocol is selected). However, I can't find the line that tells the mortar pit to enable tear gas rounds when the Tear Gas Rounds upgrade is purchased. Are the tear gas mortar rounds set up somewhere else?

Also I'm guessing I'll have to define a new weapon for nerve gas mortar rounds.

+Quote Post
Hanfield
post 7 Feb 2018, 22:23
Post #4

Group Icon

There can only be 3 weapons, and all of the pits' weapons are occupied. The tear gas weapon is present by default, but the button to switch weapons is locked behind the upgrade. The tear gas is triggered by a weapon that is fired when the projectile dies (by collision). You'll need to make a new FireWeaponWhenDead module in the tear gas projectile weapon object which is triggered by Pandora, whilst editing the existing one to conflict with Pandora so that it's supplanted by the nerve gas, and make the weapon just fire OCL_NerveGasCloud - that should work :8

This post has been edited by Hanfield: 7 Feb 2018, 22:29

--------------------
"don't live, hanfield"
"i swear to god, if this was a room full of you people i'd be taking off my gloves and slapping hanfield every 5 minutes"

- bruce 2016

+Quote Post
ZunZero97
post 8 Feb 2018, 1:42
Post #5

A Legendary Fox
Group Icon

Member No.: 10865
a man who play videogames, What are you waiting for me?

replace all means replace the output from mortar pits, pioneers?
could be OP, because to Russia could be unconteareable, spam pioneer with nerve gas against Sentinels is too much. And of course with some factions.

+Quote Post
Jakato
post 8 Feb 2018, 2:33
Post #6

Group Icon

Thank you Hanfield! I got it to work by copying the code that makes the Han gunship use a different weapon when Black Napalm is unlocked. Now the Pandora upgrade replaces the mortar pit smoke shell with a tear gas shell.

+Quote Post
Hanfield
post 8 Feb 2018, 12:57
Post #7

Group Icon

QUOTE (ZunZero97 @ 8 Feb 2018, 2:42) *
replace all means replace the output from mortar pits, pioneers?
could be OP, because to Russia could be unconteareable, spam pioneer with nerve gas against Sentinels is too much. And of course with some factions.

You should read instead of typing first, you know

--------------------
"don't live, hanfield"

- bruce 2016

+Quote Post
Jakato
post 8 Feb 2018, 15:18
Post #8

Group Icon

I'm experimenting with giving Claymores a nerve gas attack (along with the normal shell damage) when the Pandora Protocol is researched. I figure Claymores will rarely be needed for a danger close barrage and they are fired manually so there's little risk of killing your own units.

+Quote Post
rey
post 8 Feb 2018, 15:54
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 10315

interesting experiments, please continue to describe new variants, and maybe ini share would be interesting.

+Quote Post
RedDeadSmeg
post 8 Feb 2018, 17:45
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 13220

QUOTE (Jakato @ 8 Feb 2018, 14:18) *
I'm experimenting with giving Claymores a nerve gas attack (along with the normal shell damage) when the Pandora Protocol is researched. I figure Claymores will rarely be needed for a danger close barrage and they are fired manually so there's little risk of killing your own units.

That's a pretty solid idea, it would certainly make the Claymore more appealing.

+Quote Post
ZunZero97
post 9 Feb 2018, 1:28
Post #11

A Legendary Fox
Group Icon

Member No.: 10865
a man who play videogames, What are you waiting for me?

QUOTE (Hanfield @ 8 Feb 2018, 7:57) *
You should read instead of typing first, you know

yes ive missed all comments dry.gif

+Quote Post
Jakato
post 9 Feb 2018, 11:01
Post #12

Group Icon

I tried two things for when Pandora Protocol is active:

1. Claymore shells release nerve gas when they hit
2. Claymore shells release a emp burst when they are hit (the shells have the same effect as the Han EMP Bomb)

(1) seems better. The nerve gas interferes with enemy attempts to fight back straight away. When you bombard a base perimeter you leave a wall of nerve gas that blocks enemy forces.

Even though the Claymores are more micro intensive than the nerve gas strike, you can split up the Claymore's fire to block off the gaps between buildings with nerve gas.

One thing with the nerve gas is it makes following up a Claymore barrage with a assault force way more dangerous. I've lost many tanks that charged too close to the buildings I'd just shelled.

All in all, the Claymore Nerve Gas shells are slightly helpful but don't seem like a massive game changer. Although since I'm a PvE player I'm not too worried about weapons that completely change the game.

If you wonder what was wrong with the EMP bursts: They weren't as good as the nerve gas at making it hard for the enemy to retaliate. Shutting down factories and defenses temporarily didn't slow down the enemy as much. And anyway, the EMP doesn't quite seem fitting for the Pandora protocol, if you ask me.

Since I'm stuck on 1.85 (since 1.86 doesn't work), there's no point in providing my .ini files. If someone with 1.87 wants to adapt my stuff, I can tell them what they need to change.

+Quote Post
Zeke
post 9 Feb 2018, 13:41
Post #13

The X General
Group Icon

Group: Project Leader
Member No.: 73
Uniqueness is Overrated

Next make the Grand Mortar fire Pandora shells

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jakato
post 9 Feb 2018, 14:33
Post #14

Group Icon

QUOTE (Zeke @ 9 Feb 2018, 14:41) *
Next make the Grand Mortar fire Pandora shells

AFAIK the Grand Mortar is a 1.87 unit and not a nickname for the Howitzer.

Since I just said I'm stuck on 1.85, I'm guessing you're being sarcastic.

If you think I'm making a community patch or some other thing to "override" the devs and tester's work, I'm not. At the end of the day this is just an experiment with the .ini files.

+Quote Post
Mizo
post 9 Feb 2018, 15:20
Post #15

AI Coding Expert
Group Icon

Member No.: 10450

You're free to have fun experimenting all you want, but be warned that using older versions do have their own issues and bugs, and that any technical issue that can happen will be your responsibility to fix, not ours.

--------------------

Not a Rusty Spoon........The_Hunter uses a goddamn wooden spoon on his AI Scripters....

+Quote Post
Jakato
post 9 Feb 2018, 15:46
Post #16

Group Icon

QUOTE (Mizo @ 9 Feb 2018, 16:20) *
You're free to have fun experimenting all you want, but be warned that using older versions do have their own issues and bugs, and that any technical issue that can happen will be your responsibility to fix, not ours.

I don't plan to ask the devs and testers to fix my issues with modded version. I figured it was safe to ask the original question of the post because AFAIK that "tear gas upgraded to nerve gas" feature is still in 1.87 so I'm not asking anyone to explain old, obsolete code. Also I do try as hard as I can to work out what is going on.

Hopefully, if there is a feature that is still in the latest version, I can ask how the .ini files make it happen (as long as I ask these kind of questions rarely).

+Quote Post
Mizo
post 9 Feb 2018, 20:17
Post #17

AI Coding Expert
Group Icon

Member No.: 10450

Good luck...that's one of the ways to learn INI work tongue.gif

--------------------

Not a Rusty Spoon........The_Hunter uses a goddamn wooden spoon on his AI Scripters....

+Quote Post
Jakato
post 9 Feb 2018, 22:39
Post #18

Group Icon

The component-based structure of the .ini files reminds me of the Unity Engine except the "components" in the SAGE engine seem less flexible.

+Quote Post
Zeke
post 10 Feb 2018, 7:01
Post #19

The X General
Group Icon

Uniqueness is Overrated

QUOTE (Jakato @ 9 Feb 2018, 21:33) *
Since I just said I'm stuck on 1.85, I'm guessing you're being sarcastic.

Actually I was just offering a light hearted suggestion as a fellow PvE player. Didn't notice the bit about you being stuck on 1.85, guess I'll just leave you to it then.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jakato
post 10 Feb 2018, 11:30
Post #20

Group Icon

QUOTE (Zeke @ 10 Feb 2018, 8:01) *
Actually I was just offering a light hearted suggestion as a fellow PvE player. Didn't notice the bit about you being stuck on 1.85, guess I'll just leave you to it then.

To be honest, I figured it was likely to have annoyed you by experimenting with the Claymore. On that "least used unit" topic the Claymore is the least used, and now I'm experimenting with it? Sounds like something that could annoy the devs who made the Claymore the way it is for a good reason.

This post has been edited by Jakato: 10 Feb 2018, 11:34

+Quote Post
Jakato
post 10 Feb 2018, 11:54
Post #21

Group Icon

In my last post, I just meant I don't want to look like I think I know better than the devs.

In a ideal world, I'd get to mess with 1.87. Messing with 1.85 only really benefits me. There's only so much what I find out can be transferred to 1.87.

I tried giving the Leopards a EMP effect on their shells when the Venom ("support") protocol is chosen. It's quite fun. The shells work like the EMP Han bullets (you need to land lots of shots to shut down the unit). One Leopard will not be able to shut down a enemy tank/defense. But when several Leopards open fire on a target it will get shut down if it survives the first few shells. This makes Leopards better against super tanks because they can shut down large tanks that survive a few barrages.

What is funny is how I made the Leopard's EMP shells work. A single Han EMP bullet does not do much EMP damage. So instead of making a special EMP shell, I made the Leopard shell set off 4-5 EMP explosions when it detonates.

I also gave the Claymores EMP shells because why not.

I kind of wish all the factions had something like the Protocol system so they can all get wacky upgrades.

This post has been edited by Jakato: 10 Feb 2018, 11:58

+Quote Post
Zeke
post 10 Feb 2018, 11:59
Post #22

The X General
Group Icon

Uniqueness is Overrated

QUOTE (Jakato @ 10 Feb 2018, 18:30) *
To be honest, I figured it was likely to have annoyed you by experimenting with the Claymore. On that "least used unit" topic the Claymore is the least used, and now I'm experimenting with it? Sounds like something that could annoy the devs who made the Claymore the way it is for a good reason.

I'm not an ROTR dev, at the very least I'm a PvE tester, and I also hate the Claymore. I actually have a lot of problems with ROTR, but that's another topic for another day.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jakato
post 10 Feb 2018, 12:33
Post #23

Group Icon

QUOTE (Zeke @ 10 Feb 2018, 12:59) *
I'm not an ROTR dev, at the very least I'm a PvE tester, and I also hate the Claymore. I actually have a lot of problems with ROTR, but that's another topic for another day.

The Wotan Array comic was funny but painfully true. Just yesterday a Wotan array wandered ahead of the group it was protecting. It went so far ahead the AI sent it's base defense force to hunt down this lone crazy Wotan. And I also got my Wotans killed by pairs of Migs.

+Quote Post
jl319
post 11 Feb 2018, 6:18
Post #24

Group Icon

Member No.: 14916

QUOTE (Jakato @ 8 Feb 2018, 22:18) *

I absolutely love that idea. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
rey
post 11 Feb 2018, 15:03
Post #25

Group Icon

Member No.: 10315

QUOTE (Jakato @ 9 Feb 2018, 12:01) *
Since I'm stuck on 1.85 (since 1.86 doesn't work), there's no point in providing my .ini files. If someone with 1.87 wants to adapt my stuff, I can tell them what they need to change.

yes please, i'd wish to know what are the changes. i'm not sure if it should be done as replacing default shells or an another firing mode, but such new "2 GP to get it working" idea seems quite interesting, especially with those examples about pre-attack bombardment.
i see no problems with experimenting, as i mostly i play quite modded version myself.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28 March 2024 - 11:01