Reply to this topicStart new topic
Sniper Drone
Madin
post 20 May 2013, 1:00
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 9268

This is my take on the USA Sniper Drone.

This post has been edited by Madin: 20 May 2013, 1:07
Attached File(s)
Attached File  USASniper.gif ( 593.28K ) Number of downloads: 13

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
piratep2r
post 20 May 2013, 6:03
Post #2

Rocket pods are now available
Group Icon

Member No.: 9368

Hey Madin!

I want to start by saying my opinion on this matter is just about worthless, given my lack of knowledge on actual military, coding, or unit design.

1. I think the unit looks great. Like the low profile body, and extendable gun mount. Chassis looks like street patrol and demolitions drones now - nice. Minor (potential) criticism is that I don't see anything that looks like it is designed to absorb the shooting of the gun itself. Sniper rifles (I believe) have enormous recoil, and the gun mount structure looks pretty rigid on your model. Might the unit simply fall over on its back when firing? But my opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it.

2. Seeing your model got me thinking. This unit is perfect for Gen/ZH. No stairs to climb. No rough terrain. But the real world is so different. My extensive, hands on, personal military knowledge (read: movies) informs me that snipers are often in bell towers, or devastated buildings, or bunkers, or even in trees. I wonder if a real world sniper bot might look something more like a big dog robot with a spindly sniper rifle turret and optics mounted on it. Alternatively, perhaps it would less ground mobile, but be able to fly occasionally, to relocate to high places, and then retract its flying apparatus (retractable blimp drone, anyone?). To really snipe I think you'd have to be able to access difficult and high up places, and be able to wait patiently for long periods of time while maintaining a low profile. In the real world probably any drone can do the waiting. But how many could do the climbing/maneuvering?

Just thoughts. Nice model... would be fun to use!

P

+Quote Post
The_Hunter
post 20 May 2013, 12:36
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 1
Projects: SWR Productions
Bitch slapping SAGE since 2003

Very nice and quite true to the concept it's based on.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pepo
post 20 May 2013, 15:39
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 9862

QUOTE (piratep2r @ 20 May 2013, 7:03) *
Hey Madin!

I want to start by saying my opinion on this matter is just about worthless, given my lack of knowledge on actual military, coding, or unit design.

1. I think the unit looks great. Like the low profile body, and extendable gun mount. Chassis looks like street patrol and demolitions drones now - nice. Minor (potential) criticism is that I don't see anything that looks like it is designed to absorb the shooting of the gun itself. Sniper rifles (I believe) have enormous recoil, and the gun mount structure looks pretty rigid on your model. Might the unit simply fall over on its back when firing? But my opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it.

2. Seeing your model got me thinking. This unit is perfect for Gen/ZH. No stairs to climb. No rough terrain. But the real world is so different. My extensive, hands on, personal military knowledge (read: movies) informs me that snipers are often in bell towers, or devastated buildings, or bunkers, or even in trees. I wonder if a real world sniper bot might look something more like a big dog robot with a spindly sniper rifle turret and optics mounted on it. Alternatively, perhaps it would less ground mobile, but be able to fly occasionally, to relocate to high places, and then retract its flying apparatus (retractable blimp drone, anyone?). To really snipe I think you'd have to be able to access difficult and high up places, and be able to wait patiently for long periods of time while maintaining a low profile. In the real world probably any drone can do the waiting. But how many could do the climbing/maneuvering?

Just thoughts. Nice model... would be fun to use!

P

I would say that it shouldn't fall if it is make of hard materials that absorb the impact

Also this wouldn't be that impratical in rl.for street figthing ,you can place it behind a cover,use the extendable gun mount to rise it only a bit and kill everything.there is a really small surface to get hit.it could also perform well in a counter sniper role-that's my point of view

Great model

+Quote Post
Madin
post 20 May 2013, 19:08
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 9268

Thanks to everyone for their detailed comments & criticisms!

+Quote Post
Serialkillerwhal...
post 22 May 2013, 12:30
Post #6

Orcinius Genocidalus
Group Icon

Member No.: 9223
No, you move.

Just one thing a Gun nut will tell you

Remove the holes from near the begining of the barrel.

Those would make the gun literally fail

--------------------

+Quote Post
piratep2r
post 23 May 2013, 16:31
Post #7

Rocket pods are now available
Group Icon

Member No.: 9368

QUOTE (Serialkillerwhale @ 22 May 2013, 7:30) *
Just one thing a Gun nut will tell you

Remove the holes from near the begining of the barrel.

Those would make the gun literally fail

Hey SKW,

I am guessing that the section with holes is just supposed to be a short heat shield. If so, (and I am not a gun nut) it absolutely would not cause the gun to fail because it is an exterior (and probably non-structural) element. Googling "gun heat shield" generates hundreds of pictures in the image results section that show what I mean. Yes, they are not exactly the same, but certainly close enough. Now why a drone would need a heat shield there without having fleshy hands to burn is perhaps debatable, but there are lots of minor reasons I can think of.

Just my two cents,

P

PS - unless we are talking about a different part of the gun. In which case, sorry about that. I assumed you are talking about the cylindrical part with the holes in it where the barrel of the gun attaches to the square-ish body of the gun. about a third of the way from the back, to the front.

This post has been edited by piratep2r: 23 May 2013, 16:33

+Quote Post
Pepo
post 23 May 2013, 20:51
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 9862

Depends on the type of firing mechanism.If is gas operated it is a fail.if it is bolt action then there is no problem

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19 April 2024 - 10:30