Treyarch's new CoD, Black Ops
MARS
post 30 Apr 2010, 15:35
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Project Leader
Member No.: 10

Official Site

Not that I actually care much at this point, this being made by Treyarch, published by Activision and all...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Overdose
post 30 Apr 2010, 18:25
Post #2

Hardly Diplomatic
Group Icon

Group: Legend
Member No.: 4
Projects: Retired

It's unlikely I'll ever hold my breath for this game. Considering this is the same people that made dogs a killstreak....

Besides it will probably be another AMERICA FUCK YEAH or NATO propaganda shooter.

--------------------

+Quote Post
wb21
post 30 Apr 2010, 19:25
Post #3

Товарищ
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 175
ex-D' WRTHBRNGR

Something tells me that this CoD installment would be MW-ish, focusing on supah-spec-ops commando-style themes/gameplay/plot, fighting a war with the traditional post-Cold War, post-9/11, and post-Iraqi Freedom stereotypes.

--------------------

"Not in mood...go away..."
"We are going to have to act, if we want to live in a different world."

Bringing wrath to a forum near you since 2009!

+Quote Post
Stalker
post 30 Apr 2010, 21:10
Post #4

Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 123

I'm really looking forward to this

IF They bring back dedicated servers (well technically they never removed it, that was IW)

And I also hope they are adding something really new in MP

Sure, CoD4's MP was awesome but it has been 99% the same for the last 4 years.

+Quote Post
Chyros
post 1 May 2010, 0:05
Post #5

Forum Chemist
Group Icon

Member No.: 19
Projects: ShockWave Tester
In birro veritas.

But... that's a completely blank site. Honestly do they have anything other than a working title to show us? :/

--------------------
TN

"The courageous enter dark caves alone. The clever send in the courageous first. The cleverest wait behind the clever."
--The Book of Cataclysm

+Quote Post
E.V.E.
post 1 May 2010, 1:43
Post #6

Femme Fatale Of The Army
Group Icon

Member No.: 3
Make my Day, Baby!

I agree with Chyros, what do I want with a Blank Website?
Well, I can't judge the game and tell you's if I might enjoy it or not if I don't see anything at all, so I'll keep my mouth shut for now.

Only thing I'm going to say is, that a better name wouldn't hurt. Black Ops? Come on, that's so out and old by now.

- E.V.E.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MARS
post 1 May 2010, 7:31
Post #7

Group Icon

Now it says that there'll be a debut trailer today at 0001 PDT...

+Quote Post
Overdose
post 1 May 2010, 7:42
Post #8

Hardly Diplomatic
Group Icon

Probably a 10 second footage of text and Sony Vega visual effects.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MARS
post 1 May 2010, 8:13
Post #9

Group Icon

You forgot the cliché'd fade-to-black transitions and a whole bunch of time-wasting production logos.
Also, how about some disjointed, pseudo-philosophical text fragments thrown in for good measure? I8.gif

+Quote Post
wb21
post 1 May 2010, 9:57
Post #10

Товарищ
Group Icon

Member No.: 175
ex-D' WRTHBRNGR

So I've read its WP article, followed its links and I found out that this is pretty much Cold War-themed, Vietnam included possibly.

CoD Wiki article
Link 1
Link 2

--------------------

"Not in mood...go away..."
"We are going to have to act, if we want to live in a different world."

Bringing wrath to a forum near you since 2009!

+Quote Post
Overdose
post 1 May 2010, 10:23
Post #11

Hardly Diplomatic
Group Icon

What's this? Universal Soldier the game?

Someone get Jean Claude Van Damme on the phone.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MARS
post 1 May 2010, 10:45
Post #12

Group Icon

Wow, that trailer does look amazingly 'meh'...Also, kudos to Treyarch for re-introducing ludicrous gore effects, because
that totally makes the game better. Why bother building up actual suspense if you can just make everyone explode.

+Quote Post
Overdose
post 1 May 2010, 11:01
Post #13

Hardly Diplomatic
Group Icon

Would be funny if this was Vietnam and there was still a 'end the game if you shoot civilians' thing going on.

Because that's totally how the war happened.

--------------------

+Quote Post
RaiDK
post 2 May 2010, 15:48
Post #14

GAAAAAAAAAIKIIIIIIIIING!
Group Icon

Member No.: 68

Looks like Michael Bay made the trailer, since it's so shakycam and disjointed you can't even tell what's going on.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ultimentra
post 3 May 2010, 3:26
Post #15

^_^
Group Icon

Member No.: 134

Trailer was shit, I need to see more than that to make any kind of assumption about this game. GIVE US MOAR TREYARCH!

--------------------

+Quote Post
DELETED MEMBER
post 3 May 2010, 4:30
Post #16

BANNED
Group Icon

Member No.: 48

go to play devil defense lawer here but according to a list of rumors black ops will have, apparently:

-no commando perk
-shotguns and machine pistols are primary again
-no nukes
-killstreak kills dont count to other killstreaks
-killstreaks for other part, are not reset when you die
-dedicate servers

you know, you can hate it as much as you want, but it actually sounds a LOT better than MW2 ever was, still, wait and see

--------------------

+Quote Post
ultimentra
post 3 May 2010, 5:13
Post #17

^_^
Group Icon

Member No.: 134

This may be relevant to you guy's interests. Found on OperatorChan:

--------------------

+Quote Post
Waris
post 3 May 2010, 6:27
Post #18

7-tan
Group Icon

Member No.: 24
Headphone Addict

I read the Soviet Campaign part first so I thought the game was set in the Russian Civil War...

--------------------
[Sources] CARAT HD-1, Sony E445, Cowon S9
[Amplifiers] PA2V2, Corda XXS, Corda Arietta
[Headphones] Audio Technica ATH-AD900, Beyer DT250-80, Head-Direct RE0, Soundmagic PL50, Koss PortaPro
http://www.last.fm/user/warisz00r
JOIN SWR FORUMS LAST.FM GROUP

+Quote Post
Chyros
post 3 May 2010, 9:10
Post #19

Forum Chemist
Group Icon

In birro veritas.

QUOTE (ultimentra @ 3 May 2010, 3:13) *
This may be relevant to you guy's interests. Found on OperatorChan:

It's kind of a pity he got the CoD number wrong for starters >.> .

--------------------
TN

"The courageous enter dark caves alone. The clever send in the courageous first. The cleverest wait behind the clever."
--The Book of Cataclysm

+Quote Post
Shock
post 3 May 2010, 9:14
Post #20

Forum Green
Group Icon

Member No.: 17
Projects: SWR Productions

Inflitrate a soviet base alongside Cpt Bond? Lol, what a retard.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MARS
post 3 May 2010, 10:21
Post #21

Group Icon

As fake as this 'source' obviously is, I have to admit that an alternate history scenario MIGHT actually BE somewhat interesting. I'm not getting my hopes up for a Treyarch game, but I'd like to see a CoD that feels longer than MW1 and 2. The WW2 games, especially CoD2, kind of managed to capture this sense of bigness by covering events that were several months and even years apart in real life, unlike Modern Warfare where all these major world events take place within just a few days and it's all over by Friday. An alternate history theme would allow the developers to come up with interesting scenarios without having to pull too many things straight out of their arses like in MW2. It's also a good opportunity to have som levels set in Germany, and I'm NOT saying that out of jingoisim or whatever, but because Germany was KIND of a big deal during the Cold War. Imagine a Soviet mission where you have to break through the Wall and assault West-Berlin or plow through the Fulda Gap with hundreds of tanks while the East Germans launch a massive amphibious attack in the North in order to draw away NATO forces. On the NATO side of things, you'd be busy holding the line, falling back, blowing up bridges and fighting off a massive airborne invasion of Cologne in a twisted 'Bridge of Arnhem' scenario. The potential is certainly there but this being a CoD game, I'm pretty sure they'll just waste it all on badass spec ops dude and their whacky, implausible antics with one high speed adrenaline rush following the other and no time for proper story development in between.

+Quote Post
C.o.m.m.a.n.d.e....
post 3 May 2010, 13:11
Post #22

Group Icon

Member No.: 167

this cleared some things up for me GT pop block. but tbh i think its gonna turn out to be another W@W except with newer weapons "lets add the ability to blow off limbs and add zombies" type of game. altho i do see the online having better maps compared to modern warfare 2, definitely more variety.

+Quote Post
Chyros
post 4 May 2010, 1:19
Post #23

Forum Chemist
Group Icon

In birro veritas.

QUOTE (MARS @ 3 May 2010, 8:21) *
It's also a good opportunity to have som levels set in Germany, and I'm NOT saying that out of jingoisim or whatever, but because Germany was KIND of a big deal during the Cold War. Imagine a Soviet mission where you have to break through the Wall and assault West-Berlin or plow through the Fulda Gap with hundreds of tanks while the East Germans launch a massive amphibious attack in the North in order to draw away NATO forces. On the NATO side of things, you'd be busy holding the line, falling back, blowing up bridges and fighting off a massive airborne invasion of Cologne in a twisted 'Bridge of Arnhem' scenario.
Sorry, even without bias against Treyarch I do think you are heavily overestimating the potential of a Vietnam/Cold war game if it is to be true to history to even the slightest degree if you expect any German involvement of any kind. In fact I wouldn't even want it anymore, I'm utterly sick of the same CoD 1 German voiceovers which have NEVER been removed. Even WaW used the exact same voiceovers ffs! And the battle of Berlin and siege of Stalingrad, seriously, I can't even pretend to find them exciting anymore by now. It's just all way too chewed out. If they want to make an interesting campaign, IMO, they need to do something radically different from anything they've done so far, and if they want interesting multiplayer, they can't make a Vietnam game IMO. I'll wait and bide my time, and definitely give it a try, for I'm not exactly holding up my hopes here, I have simply seen more than enough of this series and their developers to know kind of what tends to happens in these matters.

This post has been edited by Chyros: 4 May 2010, 1:19

--------------------
TN

--The Book of Cataclysm

+Quote Post
MARS
post 4 May 2010, 8:31
Post #24

Group Icon

Naturally, I'm not expecting to see ANY of the things I mentioned IN this particular CoD game. It's more of a general wish for ANY Cold War action game to deliver the stuff I described; a World in Conflict FPS basically. As of now, my personal outlook on future CoD instalments is pretty negative. It won't be the same without IW (and even with IW, it still could have been better), Treyarch have shown their inability to make decent CoD games before and then there's also Activision making a killing from all the people who buy anything with Call of Duty written on it. I'll certainly give this one a 'try' - in the same way I also gave WaW a 'try' - and find my own conclusion, probably along the lines of what you said.

``I'm utterly sick of the same CoD 1 German voiceovers which have NEVER been removed. Even WaW used the exact same voiceovers ffs!´´

Heh, that's interesting, because I never noticed that. I guess the original German VOs were so bad, they had to re-record them with actual Germans for our version of the game every single time. One of the few cases where dubbing actually improves the quality I guess...But yeah, I can see where you're coming from, the way WaW just blatantly copied the Russian missions from older games. I found the Reichstag-level to be especially ridiculous. It may be true to history that it took the Russians several days to assault that building but WaW portrays 'the siege' in such a ridiculously over the top fashion as if the Russian victory was actually still in jeopardy until they managed to take the Reichstag. I also love how the interior looks like its been used as an actual, functioning parliament until very recently...despite, you know, the fact that the Nazis set it on fire way before the war and didn't use it for any meetings at all from that point.

+Quote Post
Shock
post 4 May 2010, 13:38
Post #25

Forum Green
Group Icon

Member No.: 17
Projects: SWR Productions

If anything I think they should focus the campaign on a solo character rather than three to four different names you can't relate to in any way. In MW2 every mission places you in a different persona and that really didn't help in keeping me passionate about it.

I just fear Treyarch have been given a very short timespan here as Activision probably realizes MW2's multiplayer won't be as lasting as the other installments, especially on the PC, and to keep the attention off EA with their upcoming Battlefield 3 and Medal of Honor releases. With a short time to make the game there is not much time to make alterations in the core gameplay. I hope they fix up the campaign as I have gotten so sick of the standard Call of Duty campaign gameplay with enemies crawling at you like cockroaches with an AI that is worse than the real life counterpart.

Black Ops is probably a straight reaction to Medal of Honor as the premises really don't escape each other. In MW2 we already were the most ''top secret stuffies'' in teh world, and Black Ops will put on a similar claiim. No pussies with heartbeat sensors please, but some more complex action. Perhaps an injection of Rainbow Six tactical gameplay could revive the CoD campaigns.

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10 June 2024 - 6:41