IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Modern Warfare 3 or Battlefield 3, What to buy?
Overdose
post 25 Aug 2011, 6:48
Post #1

Hardly Diplomatic
Group Icon

Group: Legend
Member No.: 4
Projects: Retired

How about doing the industry and gaming in general a favor and not buying either?

FPS games are on the verge of becoming EA sports titles. Nothing of new and original is ever brought up, when something different comes along its just lame excuse at originality like an underwater chess game set. It's still the same 2000 year old game (You got to checkmate the guy sitting in front of you to win.)

Gamers are becoming bigger and bigger tools every year, putting up with DRM and each and every money grabbing scheme without mostly any resistance whatsoever. When studios try something new, charming and original, gamers do not appreciate these titles encouraging more and more studios to do the same. If this keeps up gaming will eventually enter the Atari era great depression. Remember that time when gaming almost died? Gamers bought anything and encouraged developers to release any shit they could come up because they expected a quick buck. That generation of folks were smart enough to notice what was going on and put their foot down.

Hopefully kids these days are smart enough to do the same.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dutchygamer
post 25 Aug 2011, 18:08
Post #2

Frontline Chaos mod leader and creator
Group Icon

Group: Tester
Member No.: 25
Projects: ROTR Tester
Host of

Buy neither and get Space Marine, Skyrim and Deus Ex? I8.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jester
post 25 Aug 2011, 18:45
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 80
Forum Mechanic

I agree played the space marine demo and i must say it is quite epic! Im also looking forward to Gears of war 3 mainly for the campaign but dont get me wrong the multiplayer looks epic. I may just buy both games when there in the bargain bin. Until then ill just stick to BF2 and Cod 4 maybe invest in dead island and saints row the third.

+Quote Post
Overdose
post 25 Aug 2011, 19:42
Post #4

Hardly Diplomatic
Group Icon

I'm getting Space Marines as well.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alias
post 26 Aug 2011, 11:02
Post #5

Cool Guy
Group Icon

Member No.: 46

The Space Marine demo was pretty underwhelming tbh.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chyros
post 28 Aug 2011, 21:23
Post #6

Forum Chemist
Group Icon

Member No.: 19
Projects: ShockWave Tester
In birro veritas.

QUOTE (Overdose @ 25 Aug 2011, 7:48) *
How about doing the industry and gaming in general a favor and not buying either?
I'm going to buy MW3 and have a shitload of fun with my friends on it. To be bluntly honest, I am not into this whole "what if we don't buy anything" things because I'm not arrogant enough to believe that what I do makes a bleeding difference. As long as there are 13-year-olds there will never be a shortage of buyers :/ .

--------------------
TN

"The courageous enter dark caves alone. The clever send in the courageous first. The cleverest wait behind the clever."
--The Book of Cataclysm

+Quote Post
MARS
post 29 Aug 2011, 6:36
Post #7

Group Icon

Group: Project Leader
Member No.: 10

Pretty much my stance on this whole matter as well.
I also happen to be one of these ragnarok-type of people who believe that a system that's way out of order actually needs to crash and burn so things can get better again later once the dust has settled, the damage has been accounted for and people start rebuilding the system from scratch, with the previous flaws excised for X amount of time until people start taking things for granted again and decadence sets in once more. It's an endless circle of destruction and renewal and it applies to the gaming industry just as much as to society and civilisation itself. Thus, I'll probably skip BF3 and play MW3 in November; feel free to ring me up on Steam so we can play together some time, Chyros. Until then, I'll take a look at that new Deus Ex which I am going to buy in a few hours.

+Quote Post
Pickysaurus
post 29 Aug 2011, 18:00
Post #8

Officer of the European Continental Army
Group Icon

Member No.: 71
Community Manager at Nexus Mods

I'm getting MW3 on my Xbox because I want to finish the campaign and I like the look of the survival type game play. Zombies bore me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chyros
post 29 Aug 2011, 20:38
Post #9

Forum Chemist
Group Icon

Member No.: 19
Projects: ShockWave Tester
In birro veritas.

QUOTE (MARS @ 29 Aug 2011, 7:36) *
Thus, I'll probably skip BF3 and play MW3 in November; feel free to ring me up on Steam so we can play together some time, Chyros.
Yeah sure, will do smile.gif .

Until then, I'll take a look at that new Deus Ex which I am going to buy in a few hours.
Ah yes, that's got my watchful eye as well biggrin.gif .

--------------------
TN

"The courageous enter dark caves alone. The clever send in the courageous first. The cleverest wait behind the clever."
--The Book of Cataclysm

+Quote Post
Alias
post 29 Aug 2011, 23:08
Post #10

Cool Guy
Group Icon

Member No.: 46

QUOTE (Chyros @ 30 Aug 2011, 6:38) *
QUOTE (MARS @ 29 Aug 2011, 16:36) *
Until then, I'll take a look at that new Deus Ex which I am going to buy in a few hours.
Ah yes, that's got my watchful eye as well biggrin.gif .

It's worth it, you shouldn't be disappointed.

This post has been edited by Alias: 29 Aug 2011, 23:08

--------------------

+Quote Post
Overdose
post 7 Sep 2011, 6:49
Post #11

Hardly Diplomatic
Group Icon

Spess Mareens is doing well so far in reviews. Very good for a franchise games for fans.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dutchygamer
post 7 Sep 2011, 17:45
Post #12

Frontline Chaos mod leader and creator
Group Icon

Group: Tester
Member No.: 25
Projects: ROTR Tester
Host of

QUOTE (Overdose @ 7 Sep 2011, 7:49) *
Spess Mareens is doing well so far in reviews. Very good for a franchise games for fans.

For some reason it was already unlocked for me yesterday. This game is epic, I love it tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Shockwavelover84
post 17 Feb 2012, 14:48
Post #13

Group Icon

Member No.: 8901

QUOTE (Overdose @ 25 Aug 2011, 7:48) *

FPS games are on the verge of becoming EA sports titles. Nothing of new and original is ever brought up, when something different comes along its just lame excuse at originality like an underwater chess game set. It's still the same 2000 year old game (You got to checkmate the guy sitting in front of you to win.)

Gamers are becoming bigger and bigger tools every year, putting up with DRM and each and every money grabbing scheme without mostly any resistance whatsoever. When studios try something new, charming and original, gamers do not appreciate these titles encouraging more and more studios to do the same. If this keeps up gaming will eventually enter the Atari era great depression. Remember that time when gaming almost died? Gamers bought anything and encouraged developers to release any shit they could come up because they expected a quick buck. That generation of folks were smart enough to notice what was going on and put their foot down.

Hopefully kids these days are smart enough to do the same.

If it ain't broke, why fix it? Both games are great and time-tested, that's why they've been around for so long and they're not going away anytime soon. I'd rather play an "unoriginal" game that's damn fun to play, than something original in concept, but completely uninteresting - I mean even the old Atari game "ET The Extraterrestiral" that caused the game crash was original in concept, but wasn't any fun to play and bombed in sales.

As far as game companies releasing multiple "sequels" with few major improvements just to cash in, well that's just the reality of the industry, but that doesn't mean the games themselves aren't good. It's just like the auto industry releasing a new version of the Camaro every year (versus US military hardware - the US still uses the Abrams tank even though it entered service over 30 years ago).

+Quote Post
Cobretti
post 17 Feb 2012, 23:52
Post #14

Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 47

It's clear that the Call of Duty series has become a cash cow. I got Crysis 2 back a few months ago and haven't picked up MW3...don't really miss it. I'll probably pick it up at a later date if I'm bored enough to try the single player. If I want a "near future/modern warfare" FPS game badly, I'm just going to pick up the new Ghost Recon game coming out in May, which looks to be much superior to the same-old, same-old we've seen thus far from CoD as of late.

Battlefield 3, on the other hand, is fantastic. The multiplayer is quite deep as always and demands good teamwork for success (great if you can find people to play with). It also doesn't feel heavily consolized unlike the Call of Duty series and most other FPS games (hooray for jets, prone, and suppression fire and bipods!) I'm not even going to bring up the nearly photo-realistic graphics either. It also has the advantage of not having a slightly different iteration coming out every year, at least not yet.

--------------------
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."-- George S. Patton

Resquiescat in pace, CommanderJB 1991-2009

+Quote Post
MARS
post 18 Feb 2012, 7:36
Post #15

Group Icon

Yeah, I considered myself done with CoD after I finished MW3. At some point, it just felt as if my interest ran straight into a brick wall and stopped dead in its tracks. Now, I am entirely unable to give a toss about any CoD-related news. Still gonna keep an eye on future games, but I probably won't buy them unless they finally bring something new and interesting to the table (like taking the series away from the ridiculous Michael Bay action and back into the more serious mood of CoD1/2) or until the price drops. It's ridiculous: CoD appears to be the ONLY PC game that consistently costs 59,99€ in this country whereas EVERY other game only costs 49,99€ MAX.

+Quote Post
Cobretti
post 18 Feb 2012, 19:47
Post #16

Group Icon

I think it's hilarious that Call of Duty, which originally portrayed itself as the more realistic counterpart to the more action movie styled Medal of Honor, has completely switched places regarding tone as of the 2010 Medal of Honor reboot.

But as far as FPS games of 2011 went, if you could only buy one or two FPS games, I'd say go for Crysis 2 (if you really want singleplayer over multiplayer, though the multiplayer isn't bad at all) or Battlefield 3 (if you want a great multiplayer game). Bulletstorm gets an honorable mention for actually trying something different with the FPS genre and being quite fun, all with an irreverent sense of humor.

--------------------
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."-- George S. Patton

+Quote Post
MARS
post 19 Feb 2012, 8:37
Post #17

Group Icon

QUOTE (DerKrieger @ 18 Feb 2012, 19:47) *
I think it's hilarious that Call of Duty, which originally portrayed itself as the more realistic counterpart to the more action movie styled Medal of Honor, has completely switched places regarding tone as of the 2010 Medal of Honor reboot.

But as far as FPS games of 2011 went, if you could only buy one or two FPS games, I'd say go for Crysis 2 (if you really want singleplayer over multiplayer, though the multiplayer isn't bad at all) or Battlefield 3 (if you want a great multiplayer game). Bulletstorm gets an honorable mention for actually trying something different with the FPS genre and being quite fun, all with an irreverent sense of humor.

I still remember how the original Call Of Duty started out with the premise that you were just some relatively ordinary soldier trying to survive the war. Every mission was introduced by a diary entry instead of some crazy narrated 3D vector graphic and the overall narrative mostly felt like those classic sunday afternoon war-movies. It didn't knock you over the head with some ridiculous plot about terrorist conspiracies, false flag operations, stolen WMDs or some pseudo-profound faux-philosophical motive rant while the actual combat was depicted in a straightforward, sometimes very poignant and disturbing fashion without ever feeling exploitative and tasteless.

Makes you wonder what a CoD in a modern day setting would have been like if they had kept up this original premise. It was still kinda there with MW1 but the moment MW2 rolled around, it was almost entirely replaced by one-dimensional gung-ho bullshit. It tried to be all disturbing with No Russian and the scenes in a bombed-out Washington and while the latter was certainly interesting to look at, it didn't carry any emotional weight because every slightly poignant war-movie moment was flanked and consequently ruined by cardboard cutout spec-ops hardasses going through implausible Michael Bay setpieces.

+Quote Post
Cobretti
post 21 Feb 2012, 21:30
Post #18

Group Icon

I still remember how the original Call Of Duty started out with the premise that you were just some relatively ordinary soldier trying to survive the war. Every mission was introduced by a diary entry instead of some crazy narrated 3D vector graphic and the overall narrative mostly felt like those classic sunday afternoon war-movies. It didn't knock you over the head with some ridiculous plot about terrorist conspiracies, false flag operations, stolen WMDs or some pseudo-profound faux-philosophical motive rant while the actual combat was depicted in a straightforward, sometimes very poignant and disturbing fashion without ever feeling exploitative and tasteless.

Actually the new Medal of Honor is pretty much the old style Call of Duty in a modern format. It's nowhere near as good or as polished as CoD or Battlefield but its there. Incidentally, anyone else notice how Bad Company 2 subtly took the piss out of Call of Duty throughout?

--------------------

+Quote Post
MARS
post 22 Feb 2012, 17:14
Post #19

Group Icon

Yeah and I gotta say that I liked Bad Company 2 a lot more than MW3 in retrospect. BC2's singleplayer, even though it didn't have as many cool set-pieces, played this whole thing about hardass special forces for laughs and even though the characters were all flat stereotypes, I genuinely liked them because they still managed to be more interesting than Price, Soap and the generic gang of one-note copy paste American characters from MW2 and 3. I think what gets me the most about CoD these days is that the storylines are stupid, the action is ridiculous but the overall narrative still thinks that it's all deep and serious. It's like trying to re-enact Saving Private Ryan or Die Brücke with GI Joe figures. At least BC2 had the god-damn courtesy of being consciously aware and honest about its ridiculous premise from the very start and didn't try to pass for something meaningful.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7 June 2024 - 17:59