Closed TopicStart new topic
Rise of the Reds Update: Lightning from a Cloudless Sky
MARS
post 28 Apr 2012, 6:18
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Project Leader
Member No.: 10

After last week's naval update, we're going back to General Orlov who still finds himself in a messy situation which is going to get worse before it gets better.

South Sudan, 2041

"This is outpost Molotok, come in! Anyone, please come IN!" the radio operator yelled in a fruitless attempt to get through the signal interferences that turned every message going in and out of the base into a garbled mess of static, occasionally broken up by distorted fragments of speech. Across the entire region, Russian forces found themselves in the same chaotic quagmire. Back home, President Suvorov had cancelled all his meetings, observing the unfolding crisis alongside his chiefs-of-staff, who had all been used to comfortable desk work after General Aleksandr's glorious victory over the Sino-American task force at Kurmuk in 2040. Now, they could only sit and watch impotently as Africa was falling and with it the dream of a Russian "tropical" empire. Suddenly, someone inside the command tent noticed a group of armed fighters at the entrance. The operators scrambled for their pistols, but the strangers lobbed a number of Molotov cocktails into the tent, immolating it along with every poor soul inside it. The rebels chuckled at the sight and moved on, only to get gunned down by an enraged General Orlov as he and Sasha, the last remaining Spetsnaz trooper, fought their way through the base. Meanwhile Arkady Federov and his co-pilot climbed into the cockpit of their Mi-24. Foregoing any system checks in the heat of the moment, they tried to get the rotors to full power as fast as possible to evacuate the General. "We're almost there, Sir, hurry!" Sasha reassured Orlov who remained silent and looked at the carnage around him as if in some kind of daze. Columns of fire and black smoke rose from all corners of the base while the air was filled with the sound of wild gunfire and frantic screams.

Suddenly, he made out a flying object approaching rapidly from beyond the horizon and signalled Sasha to halt. "You see that thing? Is that a plane?" the General wondered. "Ha! Looks like frontal aviation's coming to bail us out!", Sasha exclaimed with new-found hope, raising his fist to cheer. But then, the suspicious plane opened fire, completely mauling the helicopter along with its pilots in a murderous barrage of 20mm rounds. "P-P-Planes!?" Sasha uttered in total disbelief. "They have planes now!?". Mere moments later, the sound of chopper blades once again rattled through the air, but this time, it came from a squadron of low-flying GLA helicopters that swept in from behind the hills, unleashing a rapid volley of wire-guided missiles onto the remaining vehicles while a second squadron rained down rockets on the fleeing Russian soldiers who were now abandoning all their posts and fleeing for their lives. This was the cue that snapped Orlov out of his temporary daze. "Everyone! After me! Follow me to the Shelter!" As he ran, he grabbed Sasha, who was still frozen in shock, by his shoulder and pulled him with him. What he and everyone else oft-ironically refered to as "the Shelter" was indeed little more than an improvised contraption of metal cargo containers burried in the sand, with only a small hatch and a short air pipe sticking out at the surface. Originally set up to protect personnel and equipment from mortar barrages, no one wanted to spend much time inside these "steel coffins", for the lack of proper air conditioning made them exactly that. But Orlov knew that the battle for his base was lost and that anyone caught out in the open would be slaughtered. Their only choice was not to fight, but to hide.

For the first time in the organisation's history, the GLA felt confident enough in their new Central African territories to build and maintain crude airfields.
These rudimentary facilities have all the necessary equipment to maintain two planes as well as an infinite number of helicopters. Given the proper connections, cell leaders can also use them to requisition other services.
However, air assets are still a very rare commodity and thus strictly limited in numbers. Thus, every cell that wants to engage in aerial operations requires advanced clearance and may only maintain one Airstrip at a time.

A fast, light attack jet that has been pieced together from several Cold War era fighter planes.
It is armed with a set of powerful 20mm autocannons that perform deadly strafing runs and carry excessive amounts of ammunition, making reloads unnecessary.
Alternatively, the cannons can be replaced with rockets allowing for a more immediate and precise harrassment of light vehicles, supply lines and construction dozers.

Originally a French helicopter from the previous century, the Gazelle found its way into the GLA arsenal via the absorbtion of African military defectors.
It starts out with an assortment of unguided rockets that can be replaced with a set of wire-guided anti-tank and anti-air missiles.
The Gazelle is very light and thin-skinned but makes up for its lack of protection with great speed and agility.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GDIZOCOM
post 28 Apr 2012, 6:43
Post #2

Level 17.4
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 131
Immaturity Incarnate

The heck. I left my Facebook and the forum open then this came out 8I.gif . Awesome stuff, especially the lore, as always

I really like the plane design and airstrip, makes it look more GLA demo8.gif (So that's where the tower came from)

Questions:

How will the planes fair against their counterparts in other factions?
Advanced clearance means late game or mid-game?

--------------------

+Quote Post
wb21
post 28 Apr 2012, 6:46
Post #3

Товарищ
Group Icon

Member No.: 175
ex-D' WRTHBRNGR

Looks like my guess was right in this thread. 8Ip.png
Nice update as always. Anyway, for the airstrip, is it a level 1 general unlockable or higher? As for the Interceptor, can it engage air targets when using guns? How much does it cost (1600-2000)?

--------------------

"Not in mood...go away..."
"We are going to have to act, if we want to live in a different world."

Bringing wrath to a forum near you since 2009!

+Quote Post
Mcbob
post 28 Apr 2012, 8:43
Post #4

Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 52

Given only two interceptors can exist in a match at a time, how survivable will they be?

+Quote Post
Massey
post 28 Apr 2012, 8:50
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 127

Do not get me wrong... I love the hard work you guys put in too the making sush thing.... But the one thing that made the GLa stand out of all the army was that fact that they could kick some ass without a airforce... Again i love the the hard work behide it (and given if there was a "middle easten/africa side" [new faction] i would love them to have these units.) But GLA with a Airforce makes me think they have built a goverment somewhere and ...
...This makes me say:
"Terrorest of today = goverment of tomorrow = getting terrise the day after..."

8chi.png

--------------------
This is so on the ball----> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m4SCUaBHS8

+Quote Post
Comr4de
post 28 Apr 2012, 8:51
Post #6

Master of Wreckage
Group Icon

Group: Leader
Member No.: 2
Projects: SWR Productions

More weapons will be available for both the Interceptor and Gazelle in later releases but the beautiful thing about these air units is that they never need to head back for ammunition like other factions do. They stay in combat longer but, beware for AA and other aircraft - thats a given.

Also they'll become available as Rank 3 - unlocking them also give you additional abilities and powers. I8.gif

QUOTE (Massey @ 28 Apr 2012, 2:50) *
Do not get me wrong... I love the hard work you guys put in too the making sush thing.... But the one thing that made the GLa stand out of all the army was that fact that they could kick some ass without a airforce... Again i love the the hard work behide it (and given if there was a "middle easten/africa side" [new faction] i would love them to have these units.) But GLA with a Airforce makes me think they have built a goverment somewhere and ...
...This makes me say:

8chi.png

Rogue governments from Africa have provided this air force - that and they're hard to get hands to, hence why you can only have 2 in the airfield.

--------------------

SWR Co-Lead | Texture Artist | Modeler | Level Designer | Fan of all things Awesome

+Quote Post
Mcbob
post 28 Apr 2012, 8:53
Post #7

Group Icon

When 2.0 comes around, which faction will air units go to? Warlord?

+Quote Post
Comr4de
post 28 Apr 2012, 8:55
Post #8

Master of Wreckage
Group Icon

Group: Leader
Member No.: 2
Projects: SWR Productions

QUOTE (Mcbob @ 28 Apr 2012, 2:53) *
When 2.0 comes around, which faction will air units go to? Warlord?

GLA, all factions. Certain generals will have different weapons.

--------------------

SWR Co-Lead | Texture Artist | Modeler | Level Designer | Fan of all things Awesome

+Quote Post
Mcbob
post 28 Apr 2012, 9:00
Post #9

Group Icon

Ahh. I really appreciate the use of a general point to unlock air power. Very few mods do such. It really preserves the GLA feel.

+Quote Post
MARS
post 28 Apr 2012, 9:05
Post #10

Group Icon

Here's how it works:
The GLA air force is basically a 3 level rank 3 power.
The first one unlocks the Airstrip and allows you to build auto-cannon Interceptors and rocket Gazelles.
The second one allows you to upgrade individual Interceptors and Gazelles with rockets and missiles respectively.
The third one grants you two special, targeted abilities that you will be able to call in like General Powers.

As for the price, Interceptors and Gazelles are actually quite cheap; they both cost a mere 800$. They both can and will attack other air units and the Interceptor, by virtue of having unlimited ammo, can realistically destroy any of them IF they have already used up their own ordnance.

QUOTE (Massey @ 28 Apr 2012, 9:50) *
But GLA with a Airforce makes me think they have built a goverment somewhere and ...
...This makes me say:

Technically speaking, they have done exactly that. Central Africa is pretty much their uncontested turf at this point whereas in Gens/ZH, they were merely "guests" in countries whose governments turned a blind eye or outright supported their cause.

As for the general concerns of having a GLA air force: The cool thing about ours is that it's entirely optional. It does provide the GLA with some powerful new options, but at the end of the day, you can basically keep your human opponent guessing as to whether you're going to use them at all, forcing them to spend pre-emptive money on heavy AA that may prove to be entirely wasted OR catching them completely off-guard if they did not prepare for the possibility of GLA air attacks. I guess you could say that the Interceptor is their tier 3 AA, but the Stinger Truck is actually quite powerful, which is why you can easily go without Interceptors. The GLA air force is entirely designed to be useful, but always complimentary.

+Quote Post
Dangerman
post 28 Apr 2012, 9:08
Post #11

I fits I sits
Group Icon

Member No.: 1107

Great looking but I thought Air Force for the GLA was a given no? Also is their interceptor their Tier 3 AA?

+Quote Post
Warpath
post 28 Apr 2012, 9:13
Post #12

Mad General... MUAHAHAHAHA!!!
Group Icon

Member No.: 9008
Follower of the Grimdark.

Wait, the GLA has an air force now!? Cool but can the interceptor attack other aircraft?

--------------------
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
- George S. Patton

That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

- The Neconomicon

Two things are infinite: the universe and the human stupidity.
- Albert Einstein (attributed)

+Quote Post
Darkfire Angel
post 28 Apr 2012, 9:29
Post #13

Vampire Zombie Ninja Pirate Viking Samurai Monkey
Group Icon

Member No.: 59
Projects: Deep Impact

Leaping Lepers Batman! Another update that totally came out of left field in terms of content. And here I was telling people GLA had no air force. Totally different from the way nearly every single mod has forced aircraft onto the GLA and then a tier based system as well. Very awesome. Can't wait to try the 1.7 out.

--------------------
1991-2009 Commander JB. Gone but never forgotten.

For King and Country.

+Quote Post
MARS
post 28 Apr 2012, 9:38
Post #14

Group Icon

QUOTE (Warpath20 @ 28 Apr 2012, 10:13) *
Wait, the GLA has an air force now!? Cool but can the interceptor attack other aircraft?

Yes, it can, as stated above. Upgraded Gazelles will be able to fire at air units too, making them quite effective against helicopters as well.

+Quote Post
Shiro
post 28 Apr 2012, 10:08
Post #15

Gamer Girl
Group Icon

Group: Legend
Member No.: 182
Friendly Freelancer

QUOTE (dangerman1337 @ 28 Apr 2012, 10:08) *
Great looking but I thought Air Force for the GLA was a given no?

Well, I remember someone asked if the GLA would get an Airpad to which the general concensus was "no". mindfuck.gif

+Quote Post
TheSpudd
post 28 Apr 2012, 10:59
Post #16

Group Icon

Member No.: 9020

Very cool. Looking forward to improving/changing strategy to counter this new menace. Can't wait for the Russians to get back into gear and kick some GLA ass.

+Quote Post
MARS
post 28 Apr 2012, 11:01
Post #17

Group Icon

The next part will be the last in the Orlov-series by the way. But yes, it will provide closure as to what happens with him, Wolfgang, and the Russians in Africa although it's obviously a foregone conclusion at this point.

+Quote Post
Romero
post 28 Apr 2012, 11:01
Post #18

Group Icon

Member No.: 9071

All right, still, that you did not begin to add agricultural planes spraying toxins as it was made in others mods adding aircraft for GLA

+Quote Post
MARS
post 28 Apr 2012, 11:03
Post #19

Group Icon

Yeah, that would have been a tad too obvious for our liking. The GLA air force in Reds plays quite different from the other in-game air forces as well as the ones seen in many other mods.

+Quote Post
Jester
post 28 Apr 2012, 12:35
Post #20

Group Icon

Member No.: 80
Forum Mechanic

Absolutely amazing update I couldn't ask for more I'm really looking forward to getting a grip on the GLA airforce and with the unlimited ammo aspect general power aircraft can be dealt with much easier. Wil GLA AI use these aircraft?

EDIT: I noticed the interceptor concept art floating around on mod db quite a while ago and I'm glad someone is using it what makes it better is it's SWR who will be doing so and I'm sure you will do it justice.

This post has been edited by Jester: 28 Apr 2012, 12:38

+Quote Post
SpiralSpectre
post 28 Apr 2012, 12:40
Post #21

Group Icon

Member No.: 8905
Loves guessing games

Finally the first totally unique units since the beginning of GLA updates. GLA airforce is surprising but more importantly the way it's done is magnificent. wub.gif

The gen power unlock sounds really well thought. That effectively limits the airforce to preserve the classical GLA feel (and makes the airforce much more believable for those who cares about realism more). Gotta love the designs of that plane and heli (specially the plane). Looks all crude, creepy and menacing.

Really like that the Interceptors don't need to rearm. That should leave space for a lot of new strategies. Really liked the unusual model, specially that string/wire that seems to be holding it together! The unlocakble weapon upgrades for the aircrafts is also another fresh, creative idea.

Again another big hand for using an old French heli unlike almost all the other mods who go for old Russian helis. It would look way too weird if Hinds got kicked around by their previous generations, at least now the helis aren't their direct ancestors. The plane is made of several different CW era planes, gotta love the marvels of GLA salvage workshop.

I know I am only singing praises, but this really is totally overwhelming.

Ofc gotta say, hopefully the Gazelle isn't gonna start making the other helis, specially the Russian Hokum or US cobra, look bleak in comparison. Sure hope those two older helis will shine in their own ways.

As for the lore - it's the expected continuation of the ROFL stomping. The reactions from back in Russia was hilarious. Too bad we already know Orlov is gonna survive, otherwise their would have been plenty of suspense. Ofc we're still looking forward to how he would escape this mess after getting reduced to a two man last stand.

This post has been edited by SpiralSpectre: 28 Apr 2012, 12:42

+Quote Post
Nemanja
post 28 Apr 2012, 14:48
Post #22

Group Icon

Member No.: 9081

This is too much,if GLA will have any kind of air force why then ECA will have shitty one ?
Imagine Talibans make their own planes,or Hamas or FARC,I mean cmon,Generals is not
simulation of reality but it should be much closer to reality than Red Alert and Tiberium saga.

EDIT : But I must admit that this MiG-21/Mirage buttfuck child looks pretty good. mindfuck.gif

This post has been edited by simeon5541: 28 Apr 2012, 14:53

+Quote Post
MARS
post 28 Apr 2012, 14:57
Post #23

Group Icon

QUOTE (simeon5541 @ 28 Apr 2012, 15:48) *
This is too much,if GLA will have any kind of air force why then ECA will have shitty one ?
Imagine Talibans make their own planes,or Hamas or FARC,I mean cmon,Generals is not
simulation of reality but it should be much closer to reality than Red Alert and Tiberium saga.

Dude, no one EVER said that the ECA air force was gonna be shitty. Heck, they've got billions worth of funding and they just don't have uber-l33t Eurofighters and shit because of lore reasons and faction diversity. For one, the ECA won't need to spend like three general points to get a functioning air force and even IF their options are limited by comparison, they still pack a lot more punch than anything the GLA has. Their stuff is as fast as jets, packs the weapon variety of helicopter gunships and doesn't. Need. To reload. Ever. The GLA air force is useful but mostly in the sense that it allows you to play mindfucks on your opponents and harass his economy/builders. The ECA air force fucking destroys armour columns and guess what? They can actually build as many of them as they bloody wish because they aren't limited by the number of Airstrips.

+Quote Post
Commander-GDI
post 28 Apr 2012, 14:58
Post #24

Group Icon

Member No.: 9007

QUOTE (simeon5541 @ 28 Apr 2012, 15:48) *

EDIT : But I must admit that this MiG-21/Mirage buttfuck child looks pretty good. mindfuck.gif

wailt till ECA comes out, I sure they will give them better airforce than GLA.. and remeber, GLA can only build ONE airport!

+Quote Post
Nemanja
post 28 Apr 2012, 14:59
Post #25

Group Icon

Member No.: 9081

QUOTE (Commander-GDI @ 28 Apr 2012, 15:58) *
wailt till ECA comes out, I sure they will give them better airforce than GLA.. and remeber, GLA can only build ONE airport!

I know,that is fair.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28 March 2024 - 12:39