Closed TopicStart new topic
Rise of the Reds Update: Death from Above
MARS
post 7 Aug 2012, 6:31
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Project Leader
Member No.: 10

The WASP Hive ('Weaponized Assault, Security & Patrol' Drone) is the latest American asset in unconventional warfare. Ever since the turn of the millennium, unmanned weapons have become a mainstay counter-insurgency tool in the Middle East and Africa. The WASP Hive was the first breakthrough made by current generation drone technologies, the result of billions of Dollars worth of research and their increasing importance to US military operations.

Although a plain Stryker APC on the outside, its passenger compartment has been completely redesigned to shelter advanced computer systems and a console. Besides the driver, the only other crew member is the drone operator. Thanks to advanced computer assistance controls, the operator functions more as a 'drone commander' than a 'drone pilot' as he orders an entire swarm of WASPs to fight for him and protect the vehicle if necessary.

The technology does have its limitations however: Although the operator has what seems to be an unlimited swarm of drones at his disposal, the computer cannot control more than three drones simultaneously. Due to the expendable nature of the WASPs, the Hive is designed with drone losses in mind and can quickly a replace a drone that is shut down, making it excellent for harassing enemies and supporting more valuable units at a long distance.

Little is known about the drone operators themselves, other than they are required to have a high resistance to fatigue due to extended active duty and patience to conduct operations that can last days in scouting, acquiring and neutralizing a single target.

First flown in combat during the hunt for Dr. Thrax , the Spectre II was the US Navy's ambitious attempt at producing a jet-powered gunship that was faster and lighter than the Air Force's aging AC-130. Adding emphasis on rapid global deployability, the new plane was equipped with variable-sweep wings which made it compact enough to be stored on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier. However, the complicated engine and wing setup were prone to mechanical failures. Soon after the war, the USAF, now the only branch that was still in any position for technological adventures due to doctrine changes and the budgetary issues of the others, came forward with its own idea of a new gunship which was eventually adopted to replace all previous models: Based on the C-17 Globemaster transport plane, the AC-17 Spectre III was more economical to produce, as it was merely an elaborate re-fit rather than an entirely new air frame. Despite no longer being carrier-capable due to its enormous size, the swing wings were kept and improved, as they allow the plane to perform its approach at breakneck speed. The larger hull carries enough weapons to devastate an entire division of tanks: A massive 155mm howitzer and pair of 25mm Equalizer cannons. In addition, the new Spectre has external hardpoints for several missiles which are rapidly fired at ground and air targets of opportunity by an automatic computer system.

...and since the new Spectre is so incredibly hardcore, we've also prepared two nice wallpapers for you:

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mr.Kim
post 7 Aug 2012, 6:46
Post #2

Losing Karma to Vault Boy
Group Icon

Group: Tester
Member No.: 34
Some future plan mod for AoE3:Asian Dynasty or FO4

Holy crap! I8.gif That was awesome.

Now that's much better than good'ol spectre gun ship.

By the way, is it more strong(or more damage) than regular Spcetre Gun Ship?

This post has been edited by MR.Kim: 7 Aug 2012, 6:49

--------------------

Let's kick this Russian Tank's ass back to the Bronze Age!

Twitch Chart ID: Mr_kim82

Moddb ID: Mr_Kim

+Quote Post
Cobretti
post 7 Aug 2012, 6:55
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 47

QUOTE (MR.Kim @ 7 Aug 2012, 0:46) *
Holy crap! I8.gif That was awesome.

Now that's much better than good'ol spectre gun ship.

By the way, is it more strong(or more damage) than regular Spcetre Gun Ship?

It sounds like it'll have a more powerful howitzer and possibly auto cannons, in addition to missiles.

Cool update...will the WASP Hive be exclusive to the AF General? I was hoping to see something about the Aurora or some of the other new aircraft, but great update nevertheless!

--------------------
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."-- George S. Patton

Resquiescat in pace, CommanderJB 1991-2009

+Quote Post
J Y fortress
post 7 Aug 2012, 7:19
Post #4

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 9241

Does it mean that the Aurora bomber won't appear again?

+Quote Post
MARS
post 7 Aug 2012, 7:31
Post #5

Group Icon

It -will- appear again, but it's going to be exclusive to Griffon and somewhat different from what it was like in Gens/ZH, hence why it says that he 'salvaged the remains of the now-defunct Aurora programme into something worthwhile'.
It implies that the actual black budget programme from the 80s has been deactivated, but Griffon still maintains the remaining functional Auroras and did some modifications to them.

+Quote Post
Mr.Kim
post 7 Aug 2012, 7:32
Post #6

Losing Karma to Vault Boy
Group Icon

Group: Tester
Member No.: 34
Some future plan mod for AoE3:Asian Dynasty or FO4

IIrc, Aurora Bomber will be retrun in later version or 2.0.

This post has been edited by MR.Kim: 7 Aug 2012, 7:33

--------------------

Let's kick this Russian Tank's ass back to the Bronze Age!

Twitch Chart ID: Mr_kim82

Moddb ID: Mr_Kim

+Quote Post
ArsenalXA4
post 7 Aug 2012, 7:32
Post #7

The harbinger of bad decisions
Group Icon

Member No.: 9056

I see what you did there with General Griffon.

'Guile' you are not... Go home and be a family man.

--------------------

"I went to Afghanistan and all I got was Shrapnel!"
-Anonymous

+Quote Post
MARS
post 7 Aug 2012, 7:35
Post #8

Group Icon

The reference is, of course, intentional as most of our Generals would be 80s/90s kids. This may also add some emphasis on this guy's underlying 'war is a videogame' attitude. He's supposed to be a bit of a douche compared to Bradley and Thorn.

+Quote Post
Panzer4life
post 7 Aug 2012, 7:35
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 8935

Aww yeah, I like Griffon. I like the wasp unit, and the new AC-17 is epic. A question, do the missiles hit the target before the Spectre III begins it's orbital rain of high explosive death?

+Quote Post
MARS
post 7 Aug 2012, 7:37
Post #10

Group Icon

The Spectre will automatically target and fire its missiles for as long as it circles around the area.

+Quote Post
J Y fortress
post 7 Aug 2012, 8:02
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 9241

I remember that in the SW,when I meet the Air Force general,it means that I need to hold a quad cannon/gattling party......

+Quote Post
NergiZed
post 7 Aug 2012, 8:06
Post #12

Group Icon

Member No.: 96
Projects: SWR Productions

QUOTE (Evan @ 7 Aug 2012, 0:43) *
-NOT THE INTERNAL BOARDS-

oops I8.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
SpiralSpectre
post 7 Aug 2012, 8:13
Post #13

Group Icon

Member No.: 8905
Loves guessing games

The new Spectre is a beauty. Looks way better. Howitzer, missiles and chaingun at the same time, now that sounds fun!

The WASP has an interesting concept. So what are it's role in the battlefield? Seems like it can cut down a bunch of infantry with it's multiple drones and can do good scouting. Can it be used for more? Is it unique to Griffon?

Loving Griffon's character. Methodical, patient, brilliant while cold, snobby, controversial. Sure has an interesting background and rise to power. Air power, drones, high tech - that's true blue USA. Does he also have PDL or some other kinda laser system? Since he is into drones so much will he give extra emphasis on drones compared to the other US gens in-game or is this a lore only feature? The news on the Aurora is sure getting me hyped up.

BTW is he meant to be the gutless type? Yeah he loves fancy toys and treats war like a video game but IMO that doesn't mean he is gutless. Heartless sure, but not gutless. And can we know more about his relations with ZH Air Force gen or Superweapon gen?

+Quote Post
MARS
post 7 Aug 2012, 8:28
Post #14

Group Icon

The WASP was a very spontaneous addition and quickly became a bit of a team favourite: It's available at Tier-1 and it deploys these drones at artillery range. They fly to the target and strafe it with machine guns and rockets which is actually quite effective against infantry and light vehicles. They are pretty useless against structures and the Hive itself can't sustain much damage, but watching three of these vehicles deploy drones against a bunch of targets is quite an amazing sight. And like every other USA vehicle, you can also have a Battle or Targeteer Drone. And yes, it will be exclusive to Griffon later on, as it fits his drone operator background quite nicely. Beyond that, he will indeed have a bunch of other drone-based units, unique manned aircraft and a whole lot of upgrades that should make him a very potent fighter.

Lore-wise, we deliberately left it up to debate whether he -is- actually gutless. That's what his detractors (more grounded USMC and Army representatives whose troops are more 'in the thick of it' than Griffon's) decry him as, but it's their personal opinion.
Beyond that, the MTG is meant to imply that Granger was among the people who took the fall for the 'Aurora scandal', cos he basically pushed an experimental reconnaissance plane into service as a strike bomber.

+Quote Post
wb21
post 7 Aug 2012, 8:39
Post #15

Товарищ
Group Icon

Member No.: 175
ex-D' WRTHBRNGR

Nice to see the Spectre's killer looks and firepower (the missiles). Does the WASP drones' firepower the equivalent of an MG drone and Hellfire drone?

This post has been edited by D' WRTHBRNGR: 7 Aug 2012, 8:48

--------------------

"Not in mood...go away..."
"We are going to have to act, if we want to live in a different world."

Bringing wrath to a forum near you since 2009!

+Quote Post
Anubis
post 7 Aug 2012, 8:55
Post #16

Group Icon

Member No.: 97

The WASP Hive - ME GUSTA. Finaly a US unit that looks really high tech. The new spectre is also a beast. So ... the question on everyone's mind's ... how long till it's done ( the patch ) tongue.gif?

+Quote Post
Nemanja
post 7 Aug 2012, 8:57
Post #17

Group Icon

Member No.: 9081

This gunship thing reminds me of something from old arcade games . . .
And it is most interesting unit in US arsenal by now imo.
I would like to fly with one biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Mcbob
post 7 Aug 2012, 8:59
Post #18

Group Icon

Member No.: 52

Will the WASP Hive be transportable or has the Mob-Logic done that in?

EDIT:

Just one super-minor gripe about the Stryker's design: the old hexagonal wheels. Would look much better as octagons considering how large and prominent they are and how fresh-looking the rest of the model is.

This post has been edited by Mcbob: 7 Aug 2012, 9:34

+Quote Post
General Tatarin
post 7 Aug 2012, 9:03
Post #19

Group Icon

Member No.: 9100

Nice update. In the begining, I thought that those rockets can counter enemy SAM's (chapparal, grumble) , but they are designed for ground/air targets.

+Quote Post
tempestora
post 7 Aug 2012, 9:34
Post #20

Group Icon

Member No.: 331

Aha, Ive been wondering for a long time now if SWR was going to expand the role of drones in 1.72 onwards, this fills me with glee (only seconded by desire for the ECA to be playable...)
Interesting that they choose the Stryker platform for this, curious to see if they apply the same concept that they have with it in RL and have multiple variants (LAV etc) which would mean they wouldnt have to make up light tanks to fill the roster out (like the Sheridan from Shockwave, which is a 1960-70's cavalry tank, this is much more modern and fitting) for Griffon, though they may look to similar and detract from the aesthetic/recognisability
Also, long time no post.

This post has been edited by tempestora: 7 Aug 2012, 9:43

+Quote Post
Lobo Solitario
post 7 Aug 2012, 9:53
Post #21

Group Icon

Member No.: 9093

That new Spectre is really something. My stinger soldiers will shed a tear as they rip it from the sky.

So the WASP mainly sits behind your forces to provide fire support, or acts as a light guard/harassment unit? Can it take on light units at close range? And I guess it can't attack on the move?

+Quote Post
Comr4de
post 7 Aug 2012, 10:16
Post #22

Master of Wreckage
Group Icon

Group: Leader
Member No.: 2
Projects: SWR Productions

QUOTE (Lobo Solitario @ 7 Aug 2012, 3:53) *
That new Spectre is really something. My stinger soldiers will shed a tear as they rip it from the sky.

So the WASP mainly sits behind your forces to provide fire support, or acts as a light guard/harassment unit? Can it take on light units at close range? And I guess it can't attack on the move?

All of the above is yes. And the drones will recall to the Drone controller when you order them to move.

They are extremely good for a artillery T1 unit, we even had to nerf it substantially in the internal dev - Also voiced by yours truly I8.gif

"Go forth my minions!"

--------------------

SWR Co-Lead | Texture Artist | Modeler | Level Designer | Fan of all things Awesome

+Quote Post
shocktroopersftw
post 7 Aug 2012, 10:21
Post #23

Group Icon

Member No.: 9171

so does this mean the specter is going to be an actual deploy-able air unit? considering it was shown with folded wings and is said to be housed in an airfield... The thought excites me if this is indeed the case.

+Quote Post
Anubis
post 7 Aug 2012, 10:22
Post #24

Group Icon

Member No.: 97

The wasp hive concept is actually pretty cool. A defense and an air unit with similar tech would be pretty awsome tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Alex1guy
post 7 Aug 2012, 10:26
Post #25

The Whimsical Story Teller
Group Icon

Member No.: 9123

Made me think of these guys

Cheap, expendable but dangerous in numbers.

--------------------
"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat" -Sun Tzu

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12 June 2024 - 22:29