MARS
post 14 Nov 2012, 10:49
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Project Leader
Member No.: 10

Hauptmann Robert Meyer-Feldkamp
Schwere Panzerabteilung 'Siegfried'

"It was a red dawn in the November of 2045 when our Manticore tank first arrived at our camp near Swiebodzin, a mere 70 kilometres away from the fatherland. Me and my crew, Berger, Goldmann and Rossi, were watching as the cargo train came to a halt. On it was the largest tank we had ever seen. It seemed even more massive than Ivan's Sentinel. The Manticore was so heavy that the chassis and the turret were actually transported on two seperate freight cars and assembled on-site by a crane. I still remember Berger being very jealous. He used to be our loader back when we were still riding a Leopard but the Manticore's shells were too massive for a man to handle and the entire vehicle was computer-assisted: Navigation, secondary weapons, countermeasures, the auto-loader. Berger really wanted to be on that tank with us but we had to part ways that day. I don't know what happened to him after the Russians took the fight to us. But yeah, I got into the cupola first and booted up the computer or 'EVA' as it called itself; Electronic Voice Assistant. We quickly agreed that we didn't like the voice. It sounded all bitchy and patronising in some passive-aggressive kinda way, so we just called her 'the Ex'. Then Goldmann and Rossi climbed in, commenting on those nifty leather seats and taking in that new tank smell. The folks at KMW really did their homework on this beauty. They even got a few car engineers on the team to design the interior; with a tank like this, it wasn't just about utilitarianism, it was about convenience. You could literally live inside that thing."

"Anyway, we then rolled out to our first assignment: A Russian convoy was making a supply tour through some of the towns and we had to put a stop to that. The Ex suggested an ambush position between a bunch of trees. I didn't see anything suicidally wrong with it, so I ordered Rossi to get us in there. The optics of the Manticore were excellent: I could sit there for hours watching the Russkies go about their business in the nearby village, eating, chatting, doing their thing with no idea that we were waiting right around the corner. Then the convoy was done dropping its supplies and moved on to the next town, its front and rear guarded by a single T-80 respectively. This was our chance. I told Goldmann to engage the tanks first, so that their wreckages would block the other vehicles from escaping. He punched in the targets, then hit the big red button. All we felt was a muffled thud and a gentle shake while the Kodiak in front of the convoy got blown in half. Number two followed within a few seconds. After that, we went to town on those Russians: Trucks, BMPs, men - The Manticore ripped them all to shreds. All I ever got was a bunch of target recommendations popping up on my display and the Ex asking for a confirmation. One button-press later, they all went up in a hail of gunfire and rockets. It was glorious."

"Suddenly, a group of Golem tanks approached us from the flank. We tankers used to hate these things even more than we hated the Sentinels. They were faster, obscenely well armoured and infamous for their flanking attacks. They opened up on us and their shells smashed right into our unprotected side. I still remember Rossi going nuts while he turned our front armour towards them...And then I realised: Rossi -was- turning our front armour towards them; we were -still- alive! We'd just taken three 130mm shells to the guts and the Manticore just shrugged them off like it was nothing! The Ex just blabbered some technobabble crap about how she was 'engaging the nano dispensers' while Goldmann brought all weapons to bear. I like to imagine that these guys were pissing their hazmat-suits in that moment. He took out two of them in a few moments before the third one called it a day and ran home. When we returned to our camp, our comrades cheered at us; it was like a Roman triumph. Even Brigadegeneral Atalay came to congratulate us personally. When I got out to inspect the tank, I saw a few football-sized dents in our side armour where the Golems had hit us but they had been filled out by some hardened grey foam. We didn't really care how exactly that worked, but it sure got the job done. Needless to say, we spent the entire afternoon painting all sorts of kill-marks on our new tank. Not bad for a half day's work."

The European Research & Development Compound is a large, complex structure that houses the staff and equipment of various top secret military projects that have only recently been cleared for field testing. The threat of the Russian invasion has forced the ECA to tighten their schedules and send these rare prototypes into combat. Only little is currently known about their exact nature besides sketchy rumours, ranging from a super-heavy 'Manticore' tank over an armoured exo-skeleton dubbed the 'Venom' to what appears to a militarised version of an ESA orbital payload delivery mechanism codenamed 'Pandora'. Due to the complexity of the projects and the scarcity of the necessary materials, ECA commanders can only choose to develop and deploy one of these prototypes. In addition to a very powerful experimental weapon, each project also grants additional benefits. At the same time, the R&D Compound provides the ECA with a number of additional technologies that are somewhat more mundane than the secret prototypes, but nevertheless vital for the advanced stages of a battle.

The 100 ton experimental Manticore tank is the most technologically advanced tank in the world. It sports dual 155mm cannons to fend off lesser tanks, a dual 30mm auto-cannon turret to dispatch any infantry and aircraft that venture into its sights and a set of rocket launchers to seal the deal. Deployed relatively early in the war, these rare tanks are usually seen leading entire ECA armor divisions into the fray against their Russian counterparts. The Manticore is infamous for being the only tank that is able to best the Sentinel in a one-on-one duel. This is not due to standard merits such as the plating of its armor or the parameters of its guns but rather because of nanite technology that can repair any damage done to the tank nigh instantly. Several small, orb-shaped bots actively hover around the Manticore and dispense a regenerative, self-hardening nano-foam that quickly solidifies inside any holes in the hull, thus filling out missing chunks of the tank's structure. There are even reported cases of the tank being fully repaired before its enemies could fire their second volley.

The orbs do not only repair their parent vehicle but also any friendly vehicles within range. This makes the Manticore fearsome not only by itself but also in a tandem with friendly units. Once a General has chosen to deploy the Manticore, two new, mutually exclusive upgrades will become available to his other tanks: Nano Shock Absorbers, devices that look like hexagonal panels that increase the armor of ECA vehicles, and Hydrogen Fuel Cells, new 'safe and green' engines that enhance the vehicle's speed. ECA Generals are only authorized to field one Manticore at a time, so utmost care with this beast is necessary. The Manticore is a new ray of hope to the European Continental Army that had seen so many defeats during the Russian onslaught. It's time to turn the tide, General!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GDIZOCOM
post 14 Nov 2012, 10:56
Post #2

Level 17.4
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 131
Immaturity Incarnate

I should be asking a question by now, but this is too glorious to say anything. 8llaniflip.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Anubis
post 14 Nov 2012, 11:05
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 97

Now that manticore is a pure beast. I cannot wait to use it. The R&D compound looks incredible. Imo at this point it must be Luis's best job.

Reading the R&D lore i cannot help but ask 2 questions

1. The Pandora - it says it's related to the orbital solar tech. Is it by any chance also related to that orange array thing we saw in an earlier post?
2. Venom - did i read right - exosuit ? As in mech looking exosuit? Or is it something else?

+Quote Post
The_Hunter
post 14 Nov 2012, 11:07
Post #4

Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 1
Projects: SWR Productions
Bitch slapping SAGE since 2003

QUOTE (Anubis @ 14 Nov 2012, 12:05) *
1. The Pandora - it says it's related to the orbital solar tech. Is it by any chance also related to that orange array thing we saw in an earlier post?
2. Venom - did i read right - exosuit ? As in mech looking exosuit? Or is it something else?

We're not going to awser these 2 untill they reveal themselfs through updates I8.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kireto01
post 14 Nov 2012, 11:12
Post #5

Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 8958

I may say it a bit harsh but it is just another oveprized useless shit like the Sentinel wich falls to RPG fire.

This post has been edited by Kireto01: 14 Nov 2012, 11:21

+Quote Post
MARS
post 14 Nov 2012, 11:13
Post #6

Group Icon

Except that this thing has a nasty machine gun, splashy rockets, superior range and auto-repair...

+Quote Post
Alias
post 14 Nov 2012, 11:19
Post #7

Cool Guy
Group Icon

Group: Legend
Member No.: 46

Considering that the statistics and attributes of it are far from finalised it's a little bit too early to be remarking how good or bad it will be.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Comr4de
post 14 Nov 2012, 11:20
Post #8

Master of Wreckage
Group Icon

Group: Leader
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Kireto01 @ 14 Nov 2012, 4:12) *
I may say it a bit harsh bit it is just another oveprized useless shit like the Sentinel wich falls to RPG fire.

Hardly. This thing takes out infantry. And eats up RPG's for breakfast only to be craving more a few seconds later.

There's a damn good reason you only get one. Sure there's always a certain amount of rain you can throw at it until it corrodes away, but it's not going down' that easily to justify it as being useless.

--------------------

SWR Co-Lead | Texture Artist | Modeler | Level Designer | Fan of all things Awesome

+Quote Post
Kireto01
post 14 Nov 2012, 11:20
Post #9

Group Icon

QUOTE (MARS @ 14 Nov 2012, 11:13) *
Except that this thing has a nasty machine gun, splashy rockets, superior range and auto-repair...

Everythink falls to RPG fire and this will be no exeption. I just know how players will try to fast tech and get this tank in the hopes of winning

+Quote Post
MARS
post 14 Nov 2012, 11:21
Post #10

Group Icon

You won't be able to 'fast tech' this one because the three research protocols actually require more than the tech structure and money.

+Quote Post
Shatterfury
post 14 Nov 2012, 11:23
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 8857

So this were all those PZH cannons went. tongue.gif

The model is breathtaking to say the least.

Awesomable.Now to read the lore.

+Quote Post
GDIZOCOM
post 14 Nov 2012, 11:25
Post #12

Level 17.4
Group Icon

Member No.: 131
Immaturity Incarnate

QUOTE (The_Hunter @ 14 Nov 2012, 12:07) *
We're not going to awser these 2 untill they reveal themselfs through updates I8.gif

When I thought you weren't hiding anything you pull out MORE units 8Ip.png

--------------------

+Quote Post
Knjaz.
post 14 Nov 2012, 11:27
Post #13

Group Icon

Group: Tester
Member No.: 9155

Finally, a Super Mammoth Tank on steroids. Damn fearsome thing if one manages to deploy it early in the game.

How fast the planned regeneration speed is, btw? (in %/second) I guess it's gonna be the core of his strength in early stages of Tier 2....

This post has been edited by Knjaz.: 14 Nov 2012, 11:27

+Quote Post
Comr4de
post 14 Nov 2012, 11:29
Post #14

Master of Wreckage
Group Icon

Group: Leader
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Knjaz. @ 14 Nov 2012, 4:27) *
Finally, a Super Mammoth Tank on steroids. Damn fearsome thing if one manages to deploy it early in the game.

How fast the planned regeneration speed is, btw? (in %/second) I guess it's gonna be the core of his strength in early stages of Tier 2....

Cue Benny Hill and throw it at stuff. It's not a one man army but it certantly supplements your standing army greatly.

--------------------

SWR Co-Lead | Texture Artist | Modeler | Level Designer | Fan of all things Awesome

+Quote Post
wb21
post 14 Nov 2012, 11:37
Post #15

Товарищ
Group Icon

Member No.: 175
ex-D' WRTHBRNGR

Bad.

Ass.

awbot.gif

...and when I thought the Executioner mech from ShW was badass enough 8Ip.png
Can't wait to see some screenies for some good size comparison.

--------------------

"Not in mood...go away..."
"We are going to have to act, if we want to live in a different world."

Bringing wrath to a forum near you since 2009!

+Quote Post
Alias
post 14 Nov 2012, 12:04
Post #16

Cool Guy
Group Icon

Group: Legend
Member No.: 46

QUOTE (Knjaz. @ 14 Nov 2012, 21:27) *

As I mentioned before, it is too early to give any concrete figures as it is very likely going to go through some serious changes during the balancing process.

--------------------

+Quote Post
The_Hunter
post 14 Nov 2012, 12:07
Post #17

Group Icon

What we can say however is that regardless of what happens after initial testing it will be able to best any other tank in a duel without any outside interference smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darkfire Angel
post 14 Nov 2012, 12:07
Post #18

Vampire Zombie Ninja Pirate Viking Samurai Monkey
Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 59
Projects: Deep Impact

QUOTE (Kireto01 @ 14 Nov 2012, 12:20) *
Everythink falls to RPG fire and this will be no exeption. I just know how players will try to fast tech and get this tank in the hopes of winning

Because you've totally played with it and can tell us exactly how useless it is right away...

Anywhooooo

Yet another awesome unit, was kind of expecting it but not this soon.

Is the R&D structure the same as the incomplete structure in a screen shot that I speculated on over at FB? I looks about the same size and height but I can't be sure.

EDIT: The ECA reminds me quite a bit of the Euro Corps in terms of upgrades, at least the ones we know of. That and the color scheme.

This post has been edited by Darkfire Angel: 14 Nov 2012, 12:22

--------------------
1991-2009 Commander JB. Gone but never forgotten.

For King and Country.

+Quote Post
Kireto01
post 14 Nov 2012, 12:15
Post #19

Group Icon

QUOTE (Darkfire Angel @ 14 Nov 2012, 12:07) *
Because you've totally played with it and can tell us exactly how useless it is right away...

Anywhooooo

Yet another awesome unit, was kind of expecting it but not this soon.

Is the R&D structure the same as the incomplete structure in a screen shot that I speculated on over at FB? I looks about the same size and height but I can't be sure.

No, but in its core is the same as the Overlord and the Sentinel which means its slow and not mobile exept the Overlord with nuclear upgrade , and it can be esily swarmed and destroyed and if you put your money in researching that think and building it you will surely have smaller froces then the enemy.

+Quote Post
Anubis
post 14 Nov 2012, 12:30
Post #20

Group Icon

Member No.: 97

QUOTE (Kireto01 @ 14 Nov 2012, 13:15) *
No, but in its core is the same as the Overlord and the Sentinel which means its slow and not mobile exept the Overlord with nuclear upgrade , and it can be esily swarmed and destroyed and if you put your money in researching that think and building it you will surely have smaller froces then the enemy.

For fuck sake can we pls stop with the drama. Just wait for the fken beta and then you can whine as much as you like. Balance talk at this point in rotr is about as useful as a tailless sperm cell. The mod is not even in a beta stage. Wait for ALL FACTIONS AND ALL FKEN UNITS before you whine (and i'm referring to ALL the whiners about balance since topics pop-out like crazy this days). How frekin difficult can that be...

This post has been edited by Anubis: 14 Nov 2012, 12:33

+Quote Post
Darkfire Angel
post 14 Nov 2012, 12:31
Post #21

Vampire Zombie Ninja Pirate Viking Samurai Monkey
Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 59
Projects: Deep Impact

QUOTE (Kireto01 @ 14 Nov 2012, 13:15) *

Once again you haven't even played with it yet and the team has told you it eats infantry. Obviously you're not a fan of it but you have zero experience with the unit and jump to the conclusion that it's useless.

--------------------
1991-2009 Commander JB. Gone but never forgotten.

For King and Country.

+Quote Post
The_Hunter
post 14 Nov 2012, 12:41
Post #22

Group Icon

mindfuck.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
SpiralSpectre
post 14 Nov 2012, 12:45
Post #23

Group Icon

Member No.: 8905
Loves guessing games

Oh man Finally! I can't take my eyes off that beast. You gotta love something that's worth a wait and this totally seems worth it. The R&D building also sounds really interesting. Looking forward to seeing how the nanotech stuff works out in-game.

+Quote Post
Planardweller
post 14 Nov 2012, 12:58
Post #24

Group Icon

Group: Tester
Member No.: 9425

QUOTE (SpiralSpectre @ 14 Nov 2012, 13:45) *
Oh man Finally! I can't take my eyes off that beast. You gotta love something that's worth a wait and this totally seems worth it. The R&D building also sounds really interesting. Looking forward to seeing how the nanotech stuff works out in-game.

Nanotech works fast laugh.gif
Sorry, couldn't stop myself.

So basically ECA has 3 hero units - a super-tank, a mech-Boris, without the Boris and a super-artillery, possibly with rail-cannon (because it says European Space Agency orbital payload delivery mechanism, which could be a huge EM cannon, if it's not a rocket) and more interestingly buying the prototype also opens OR-choice of 2 upgrades.

In text it says
Only little is currently known about their exact nature besides sketchy rumours, ranging from a super-heavy 'Manticore' tank over an armoured exo-skeleton dubbed the 'Venom' to what appears to a militarised version of an ESA orbital payload delivery mechanism codenamed 'Pandora'. Due to the complexity of the projects and the scarcity of the necessary materials, ECA commanders can only choose to develop and deploy one of these prototypes

So we can get only one hero-unit at time and can't change our choice when said unit gets killed?

This post has been edited by Planardweller: 14 Nov 2012, 13:06

+Quote Post
The_Hunter
post 14 Nov 2012, 13:01
Post #25

Group Icon

while they are limited to one at the time they are not considered hero units since the ECA still has their own hero unit infantry wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19 April 2024 - 11:15