Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 9540

Republic of Greece

Leader: Darion Kostas
Capital: Athens
Population: 21,300,000 (2045 census)
Manpower: 207,500

The country of Greece has had a long history. It is considered the birthplace of civilization, democracy and science, and her cities has seen countless eras, wars and periods in time fly by their doorstep. It seems as if time is slowing down for the Greeks during the modern era, has events become more and more tightened around the years that pass by. However, with the great civilizations of old, Greece has seen its fair share of overlords. The Romans and later the Byzantines ruled over them during the ancient times, different warlords and the Ottoman Empire had control of them for over five centuries and as with most of the Balkans it was invaded and occupied during World War II. Right before the First World War, Greece became the country it was today, the Republic of Hellas. But, even in modern times Greece would see a new occupation over their country; the European Union.

During the Cold War, between NATO and the Warsaw Pact, the European Community grew and when the Warsaw Pact and Eastern Bloc fell, the recently created European Union remained the sole economic power on the continent. However, with that economy came a crisis. Plagued by corruption and debt, Greece fell into an economic crisis unlike that any had seen before. Riots in the streets, poverty, political uprising, it was all happening day-to-day inside Athens, and the police did the best they could in order to tame the violence. By 2020, the violence had escalated out of control, prompting the EU to dispatch its armed gendarmerie force EUROGENDFOR into the country for what was officially labeled as a peacekeeping operation. The remains of the crippled, ineffectual government were given no authority in their own lands, and soon the streets were occupied by foreign soldiers every hour. Detention facilities, unregistered arrests and police brutality became a common sight in Greece, creating the revolutionary nationalist group ‘Magale Hellas’, also known as the Great Greece movement. The Magale Hellas use the media, most notably the internet, in an attempt to gain the population’s trust and force the occupiers out of their country. What could be described as a proxy civil war started and the truth burrowed itself in peoples’ heads; Greece needed liberty once again.

The Athen Riots, 2022

When the GLA emerged and the Global War on Terror began, fighting in Greece had turned into a sluggish war between the former government’s loyalists, Magale Hellas and the foreign peacekeepers. With their own problems becoming more apparent, the EU decided to pull out of Greece, effectively chalking it off as a failed state within the community. Magale Hellas became victorious after eight bitter months of fighting, and those opposing them were either imprisoned or disappeared forever. Their very first act was to blame the European Union as an ill-conceived idea executed even worse, but, as much as they hated it they could not survive without it. The movement’s leader, Aegis Drakos, was heavily against the proposal to turn the EU into a de jure federal super-state, but his denial was overshadowed by the other politicians’ agreement. The controversial Treaty of Vienna was signed in 2023, creating huge amounts of political and social unrest in the streets. Rebel groups, terrorist organizations and secessions turned it for the worst for the EU, and Drakos took the liberty to cede Greece from the Union as well. Wanting the best for the people (as well as their own strategic interests in the vital Mediterranean region) the United States came forth with a proposal to Drakos. As the GLA drew ever closer to Europe, the US wanted to station a fleet element in the Aegean Sea for future operations in the theatre. Drakos agreed and the US dispatched the so-called Task Force Leonidas, consisting of several US Navy littoral combat vessels, a Marine Expeditionary Unit and the USS Ronald Reagan supercarrier.

Unfortunately, several GLA cells managed to make their way onto Crete, where the US had erected a Particle Uplink Cannon as part of the anti-missile shield they offerent to their chosen allies. They hijacked it and used it to cut the Reagan in half. Decimated and demoralized, the Task Force retreated mere months after they first arrived, leaving Greece vulnerable. Hundreds of GLA rebels managed to get into Greece and cause violence against the barely stabilized government, but they left after several weeks though, presumably realizing Greece was an unimportant target for their next big gambit. When the GLA invaded Germany in 2028, Greece and their military was unable to do anything, not only because they were far too weak, but because Drakos refused. He literally enjoyed watching EU burn after what they did to his country.

After the insurrection, the EU was left crippled. Greece managed to survive and rebuilt itself, and when the proposal to form the ECA appeared, Drakos turned great interest towards it, hoping to find common ground with some of the more nationalist minded governments that came out of Europe's revolutionary crisis. However, Magale Hellas was shunned by the west and decried as a quasi-fascist party due to the xenophobic attitudes of its more prominent members. This angered Drakos and he imposed propaganda all over Greece, telling the people how bad and unjustified the new ECA is. Even though they were alone, they believed they could make it, seeing as Greece was one of the most powerful nations of the ancient world. However, on the other side of the ocean, a new heat was stirring up. Turkey, left nearly unscathed by the war, grew an ever increasing ill-temper to the new Greece and its anti-Turkish posturing. Disputed islands and borders had been a common sight for several decades, but no one thought neither state would do something rash. That is until Turkey demanded Greece to hand over their part of Cyprus. Greece naturally disagreed, leading to a brief local war between them in 2035. The Turkish armada overwhelmed the weak Greek defenders, and Cyprus has been ruled by the Turks ever since.

Turkish navy sailors preparing for Operation 'Hammerhead', the invasion of Cyprus

Later the next decade, Greece and the Magale Hellas party was approached by Dusan Pasic, the President of Serbia. He, Drakos and several other leaders from countries in the Balkans met in Belgrade to discuss the political entity known as the Balkan Confederation. Russian Prime Minister Valentina Baranova attended as well, promising Russia’s support to the Confederation. A stable friendship between the countries of the Balkans and Russia grew, as Greece among other nations were provided stable economic and military support from both Russia and Serbia. Even though neither the Russians nor the Serbs were capable of talking Turkey to cede Cyprus back to Greece, the country still recovered. Through their economic boom the government was able to stabilize Greece into a new quasi-fascist single-party state with Magale Hellas and Aegis Drakos at the helm. The people of Greece saw this as an opportunity, to rebuild and reorganize their homeland into what it used to be during ancient times. Even the Parthenon, which had been sacked by rebels during the crisis, was rebuilt into a new shining Orthodox church for the people of Athens.

When the Russo-European War broke out, Athens and Moscow had stayed in touch for the last few months. Seeing as their country was ‘betrayed’ by the West, Drakos proposed the Russians would take the element of surprise and move through neutral Greek waters. When word got out of this, the ECA accused them of being non-neutral and sent them an ultimatum to surrender. Of course, they couldn’t hold up such a thing seeing as Russia was kicking down the door, but Serbia stepped in to help their Balkan brothers and ripped that ultimatum to shreds. The ECA didn’t respond.

Seeing as another fascist state had risen in the Mediterranean, people from around the world were not happy with the current situation in Greece. Multiple attempts on Drakos’ life were made through the years 2045-2047. He finally met his demise in 2047. During the battles of 2046-2047 in the Russo-European War, Serbia and Greece took the opportunity to expand their borders and invaded the lone Albania, most prominently the southern regions where the majority of the population was of Greek decent. During the short invasion, Drakos decided to visit his troops in the field one day. A sniper got him from far away. His successor was a man named Darion Kostas, who wanted to impose a milder political course and distance himself from the more controversial policies of Drakos. The population were a bit dubious at first, suspecting him of lying and shaping up to create a totalitarian empire. Currently, Greece stands with their allies in the Balkan Confederation ready to defend their homelands should the ECA or USA decide to step it up a notch and invade their nations. Relations with Turkey are holding fine, and people are adopting the more liberal policies and wait to see what the future holds for the Hellan Republic.

I was having a writer's block, but then I thought I could write a story about Greece. I am even thinking of making one about Italy as well. Shoutout to The General for his fic the Balkan Confederation which is featured in this story.

This post has been edited by swedishplayer-97: 22 Dec 2013, 14:02

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The General
post 22 Dec 2013, 14:42
Post #2

Head of the Federal Council of Byzantine
Group Icon

Member No.: 9974

It looks very interasting comrade, good job.
Our future fanfics can maybe rely on eachother aswel. biggrin.gif

Anyway, you secured your story by making them take Cyprus before Greece entered BC, because BC was still a force not to mess with if you count on a quick and certan victory.

EDIT NOTE: I am not sure if Cyprus is still Greek in the cannon or in my fanfic, because there was no need for MARS to frame every Greek island on the map ( Map of BC, by MARS ).

This post has been edited by The General: 22 Dec 2013, 14:42

--------------------
"Nations whose nationalism is destroyed are subject to ruin."
Colonel Muhammar Gaddafi (RIP).
"You will not mind, gentlemen, that i am firstly a Russian and my closest interests are those of Russia, but I can assure you that interests of Serbia and those of the Serbian people are immediately after them."
Nicholas II of Russia.
"Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune."
Noam Chomsky.

Operation "Removal" fanfiction - last edited 01.07.2015.( episode #4 part 2 added-fanfiction complete )

Russia: The Evil Empire.
Do not watch RT !
Noam Chomsky on the Genocide in Kosovo.

+Quote Post
Svea Rike
post 22 Dec 2013, 16:04
Post #3

Group Icon

QUOTE (The General @ 22 Dec 2013, 14:42) *
It looks very interasting comrade, good job.
Our future fanfics can maybe rely on eachother aswel. biggrin.gif

Anyway, you secured your story by making them take Cyprus before Greece entered BC, because BC was still a force not to mess with if you count on a quick and certan victory.

I'm not too sure about that, Turkey has one of the largest armies in the world today and counting the chaos all around them they would probably increase their military... A lot.

EDIT NOTE: I am not sure if Cyprus is still Greek in the cannon or in my fanfic, because there was no need for MARS to frame every Greek island on the map ( Map of BC, by MARS ).

From a previous fan-fic of mine which I would not consider canon due to its silly second story portion it is mentioned that a brief war occurred between Turkey and Greece over some disputed islands in 2030, and I decided to expand upon that idea and move the so-called Aegean War further forward a bit to 2035. This was to secure relations between the future Balkan Confederation and Middle Eastern Council, both of which have Greece and Turkey as prime members respectively. If tensions between the two nations would still be present post-2045, a war between Greece and Turkey might escalate out of control to include every member of the BC and the MEC which would probably be a big game-changer for the story.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MARS
post 22 Dec 2013, 16:09
Post #4

Group Icon

Group: Project Leader
Member No.: 10

Good thing you mention that, cos it reminds me of something that I wanted to inform you guys of: If anyone considers parts of their own fan-fictions to be unfitting, insufficient or silly in retrospect, they are free to declare them non-canon at any point in time just as long as they notify me in some way. After all, these are still your stories and even though you can't declare them canon on your own for obvious reasons, they are still your property and thus up to your judgement. If something you wrote a while back doesn't hold up to your artistic sensibilities anymore, you can change, revise and scrap whatever you like just as long as it's in some way documented so I can keep track. That'd ne nice.

+Quote Post
The General
post 22 Dec 2013, 16:55
Post #5

Group Icon

QUOTE (swedishplayer-97 @ 22 Dec 2013, 17:04) *
I'm not too sure about that, Turkey has one of the largest armies in the world today and counting the chaos all around them they would probably increase their military... A lot.

Strong military can't exist without strong economy.
Turkey's economy relies heavily on EU, and with ECA being only west Europe, they would have trouble safely shipping their products there and that would also increase their spending a lot.
So, the chaos all around them would effect them aswel.

I see only two ways they can go:
1. They can try to connect to Russia, altough it's a big question if that would be successful. That would also mean they have to accept that attacking BC and any of the members would backfire heavily.
2. They can stay and be isolated, while having basic things their poppulation needs, but not being able to maintain their gain and economical advance.

That's why i didn't bring Turkey in my fanfic, because i still want to see where the official story places them.

QUOTE (swedishplayer-97 @ 22 Dec 2013, 17:04) *
From a previous fan-fic of mine which I would not consider canon due to its silly second story portion it is mentioned that a brief war occurred between Turkey and Greece over some disputed islands in 2030, and I decided to expand upon that idea and move the so-called Aegean War further forward a bit to 2035. This was to secure relations between the future Balkan Confederation and Middle Eastern Council, both of which have Greece and Turkey as prime members respectively. If tensions between the two nations would still be present post-2045, a war between Greece and Turkey might escalate out of control to include every member of the BC and the MEC which would probably be a big game-changer for the story.

In that case, a war between BC and MEC would be very likely to happen. However, that wouldn't happen without Russia and ECA interfearing, altough probably not directly. Russia would support BC and ECA would support MEC.

I have something in mind about that, but i want to wait until the Russo-ECA war is over.

--------------------
"You will not mind, gentlemen, that i am firstly a Russian and my closest interests are those of Russia, but I can assure you that interests of Serbia and those of the Serbian people are immediately after them."
Nicholas II of Russia.
"Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune."
Noam Chomsky.

Operation "Removal" fanfiction - last edited 01.07.2015.( episode #4 part 2 added-fanfiction complete )

Do not watch RT !

+Quote Post
Svea Rike
post 22 Dec 2013, 17:07
Post #6

Group Icon

QUOTE (The General @ 22 Dec 2013, 16:55) *
Strong military can't exist without strong economy.
Turkey's economy relies heavily on EU, and with ECA being only west Europe, they would have trouble safely shipping their products there and that would also increase their spending a lot.
So, the chaos all around them would effect them aswel.

I see only two ways they can go:
1. They can try to connect to Russia, altough it's a big question if that would be successful. That would also mean they have to accept that attacking BC and any of the members would backfire heavily.
2. They can stay and be isolated, while having basic things their poppulation needs, but not being able to maintain their gain and economical advance.

That's why i didn't bring Turkey in my fanfic, because i still want to see where the official story places them.

Turkey has already been established as being part of the Middle Eastern Council from 2045 onwards.

In that case, a war between BC and MEC would be very likely to happen. However, that wouldn't happen without Russia and ECA interfearing, altough probably not directly. Russia would support BC and ECA would support MEC.

I have something in mind about that, but i want to wait until the Russo-ECA war is over.

I don't think the ECA would give a rat's ass about the MEC seeing how nationalist and self-centered they are. I think we need an official explanation from MARS about Turkey or someone that hits them on a fan-fiction.

--------------------

+Quote Post
(USA)Bruce
post 22 Dec 2013, 17:49
Post #7

The Forums American Hotshot Flyboy
Group Icon

Group: Tester
From: The foundation of modern freedom and Liberty;United States of America.
Member No.: 9500

Being bored and my workplace full of ottoman history book sets and all I've looked into some stuff so;
I could give insight about turkey,Its cultures,disbutes history and what its current goals are and help anyone out if they're up for a writing a fanfic but the current goverment moniters most of the activity posted by the people online so I couldnt say anything bad about them unless I want to get caged up before I can say "Im an american this is agaisnt International laws"

PM me if anyones interested....Im sure Swedish player could make something up smile.gif

This post has been edited by (USA)Bruce: 22 Dec 2013, 17:50

--------------------

+Quote Post
Svea Rike
post 22 Dec 2013, 18:06
Post #8

Group Icon

^I'm pretty sure the Turkish government won't imprison you for writing a fan-fic about a mod little more than a couple of thousand people know the story to and even fewer care for the fan-fiction. Why not cook something up yourself?

--------------------

+Quote Post
The General
post 22 Dec 2013, 20:01
Post #9

Group Icon

QUOTE (swedishplayer-97 @ 22 Dec 2013, 19:07) *
Turkey has already been established as being part of the Middle Eastern Council from 2045 onwards.

But i don't think we know anything about their geopolitical interests from the official story.

QUOTE (swedishplayer-97 @ 22 Dec 2013, 19:07) *
I don't think the ECA would give a rat's ass about the MEC seeing how nationalist and self-centered they are. I think we need an official explanation from MARS about Turkey or someone that hits them on a fan-fiction.

GB was almost always supporting 'the weaker side' trough the entire history. For example, Ottoman empire would have collapsed sooner if it wasn't kept alive by the west, mainly GB.
I agree, we can't do much until we get an official story from MARS.

--------------------
Nicholas II of Russia.
Noam Chomsky.

Do not watch RT !

+Quote Post
Alex1guy
post 22 Dec 2013, 20:39
Post #10

The Whimsical Story Teller
Group Icon

Member No.: 9123

QUOTE (swedishplayer-97 @ 22 Dec 2013, 18:06) *
^I'm pretty sure the Turkish government won't imprison you for writing a fan-fic about a mod little more than a couple of thousand people know the story to and even fewer care for the fan-fiction. Why not cook something up yourself?

He knows something... He's gonna get us arrested by the Turkish Police! tongue.gif

--------------------
"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat" -Sun Tzu

+Quote Post
__CrUsHeR
post 23 Dec 2013, 15:06
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 9084
"No. Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise."

Good job, I liked what you wrote.

--------------------

You already imagined how would be SAP in the ROTR's universe? Check out this fan-fiction: South American Pact Introduction

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19 April 2024 - 17:03