Grey Goo RTS, A pretty generic looking RTS from Petroglyph
Die Hindenburg
post 3 Apr 2014, 10:58
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 10025

http://www.greybox.com/greygoo/en/

Heres the trailer with gameplay scenes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcDYbK_5w2k

Looks so generic like generals 2, even as Scifi, they should actually made a sequel to Universe at War. That game had truly epic factions with genius elements, just with some poor gameplay decisions like no engineers or no experience. laugh.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MARS
post 3 Apr 2014, 11:44
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Project Leader
Member No.: 10

Petroglyph have used up their 'but we used to be Westwood' credit with me long ago. This looks like they're just trying really hard to make something that superficially resembles Starcraft 2, except way more generic because it doesn't have the gravity of an established setting.

+Quote Post
Neo3602
post 3 Apr 2014, 15:47
Post #3

Secure, Contain, Protect
Group Icon

Member No.: 9992

QUOTE (Die Hindenburg @ 3 Apr 2014, 3:58) *
Looks so generic like generals 2, even as Scifi, they should actually made a sequel to Universe at War. That game had truly epic factions with genius elements, just with some poor gameplay decisions like no engineers or no experience. laugh.gif

I'm going to reserve judgment until they release info on other the other factions, though I would be much more psyched if they made a sequel to Universe at War that game was pretty good, I especially liked the faction specific mechanics the patch and flow system for the Novus, the light and dark modes for the Masari, and the walkers for the Hierarchy.
If they made a new Universe at War I would like to see the Humans as a factions, I think that could be interesting to see what their faction specific trait would be.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Zeke
post 4 Apr 2014, 7:41
Post #4

The X General
Group Icon

Member No.: 73
Uniqueness is Overrated

The name feels very lazy and uninspired...

At the very least one would expect a fancy name for this "grey goo"...

This post has been edited by Zeke: 4 Apr 2014, 7:42

--------------------

+Quote Post
Svea Rike
post 4 Apr 2014, 9:58
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 9540

Damn it, Pertroglyph, I thought you could save C&C but apparently not. This does not look interesting to me. The graphics of C&C2013 were even better than this.

--------------------

+Quote Post
n5p29
post 4 Apr 2014, 15:32
Post #6

Enlima Studios
Group Icon

Member No.: 482

somehow it reminds me a mix of warcraft and RA3.
and for such game with colorful environment, they named it grey. I wonder if it's intentional.

ah well, design and detailed gameplay doesn't really matters as long as it will be a decent RTS game.
just hope they completed it and not ended up like EoN. sad.gif

This post has been edited by n5p29: 4 Apr 2014, 15:32

--------------------

+Quote Post
Svea Rike
post 4 Apr 2014, 16:20
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 9540

I think I know the meaning of grey goo:

Wikipedia: "Grey goo is a hypothetical end-of-the-world scenario involving molecular nanotechnology in which out-of-control self-replicating robots consume all matter on Earth while building more of themselves, a scenario that has been called ecophagy ("eating the environment"). The original idea assumed machines were designed to have this capability, while popularizations have assumed that machines might somehow gain this capability by accident."

--------------------

+Quote Post
MARS
post 4 Apr 2014, 17:20
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 10

For some reason, I find that the word 'ecophagy', along with its meaning, sounds oddly funny. Might be due to the mental image of a PacMan-like creature literally EATING EVERYTHING.

+Quote Post
8igDaddy8lake
post 5 Apr 2014, 2:34
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 10285

All of the units look so...so...ugh, I don't know. It seems like I would mix up what I was clicking on because most everything seems to be THE SAME COLOR! Might be nitpicking, but if there is no real variation in color scheme between units (something RotR does a great job on), it just seems so bland...

+Quote Post
Anubis
post 5 Apr 2014, 9:00
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 97

Well this looks quite interesting to me. I kinda wish it was a UaW 2 instead of a new game, but looking at it i can't help thinking of earth 2160 which is one of my fav RTS games ever. Though i will wait for more info. Petroglyph has done alot of crap lately, End of Nations being their latest idiocy.

+Quote Post
__CrUsHeR
post 5 Apr 2014, 13:13
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 9084
"No. Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise."

It is very similar to Starcraft II, however without the glory of the Protoss or the arrogance of Humans, or bestiality of Zergs... this game seems to be a shadow of the true classic.

--------------------

You already imagined how would be SAP in the ROTR's universe? Check out this fan-fiction: South American Pact Introduction

+Quote Post
X1Destroy
post 5 Apr 2014, 15:02
Post #12

Guardsman
Group Icon

Member No.: 9379
Armageddon is here..............

I just don't care. The setting is always the first thing that I look at, and this isn't the one I want.

--------------------
We Die Standing.

+Quote Post
Neo3602
post 16 May 2014, 3:52
Post #13

Secure, Contain, Protect
Group Icon

They just revealed the Goo faction and I was wondering what you guys and gals think of it
Goo Faction Reveal

@Anubis It looks like that the Humans are going to be pretty similar to the Ed base Building wise.

This post has been edited by Neo3602: 16 May 2014, 3:56

--------------------

+Quote Post
Serialkillerwhal...
post 16 May 2014, 9:05
Post #14

Orcinius Genocidalus
Group Icon

Member No.: 9223
No, you move.

Well they interested be with the move away from micro and towards actual strategy, and I like the concept of a faction that has good defenses and base crawling.

Although the Beta seem rather rigid and even with the "Switch around hardpoints" they'll probably end up being overly predictable compared to the "I'll choose my units once I see yours" goo and "Nope, we reshuffled the base" Humans.

So far it looks like the Humans are the sledgehammer faction, being more centralized and sluggish (Building-centered) the Beta are the "Jacks" and the Goo's the Subversive faction, because having the Sledgehammer be able to flank without caring about terrain is just plain unfair, the Beta are already the "Jack of all trades" leaving only the humans.

But to be honest, Starcraft started out as "orcs in space", Warcraft was as generic as it got, CNC literally had abrams and bradleys as the two main "Tanks" like some kind of bad movie.

Humble beginnings are the norm here.

Overall:Cautiously Optimistic.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Anubis
post 16 May 2014, 22:05
Post #15

Group Icon

Member No.: 97

The game looks damn interesting but this guys have lost the originality part badly. Looking at that video i have this UBER HUGE DEJA VU. The Beta faction is a 99.9% copy of the UCS faction in Earth 2160. The Human faction is a 99% copy of the ED faction in Earth 2160. And their so called original as hell faction - the Goo - is a frekin copy of the Alien/Martian faction of Earth 2160. And just in case some 'smartass' doesn't get it - by copy i mean frekin faction design/features/gameplay not actual exact model/texture copy. Although i gotta say that the Beta faction even uses the Walkers system UCS has in Earth 2160. If that game would've been a bit more popular people would scream like crazy about the similarities. While i very much like the design, this game feels like Earth 2160 without the hot bitches faction and the complex as hell upgrade/tech tree but with much better visuals.

This post has been edited by Anubis: 16 May 2014, 22:08

+Quote Post
The General
post 20 May 2014, 17:35
Post #16

Head of the Federal Council of Byzantine
Group Icon

Member No.: 9974

Reminds me of Starcraft.

--------------------
"Nations whose nationalism is destroyed are subject to ruin."
Colonel Muhammar Gaddafi (RIP).
"You will not mind, gentlemen, that i am firstly a Russian and my closest interests are those of Russia, but I can assure you that interests of Serbia and those of the Serbian people are immediately after them."
Nicholas II of Russia.
"Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune."
Noam Chomsky.

Operation "Removal" fanfiction - last edited 01.07.2015.( episode #4 part 2 added-fanfiction complete )

Russia: The Evil Empire.
Do not watch RT !
Noam Chomsky on the Genocide in Kosovo.

+Quote Post
Neo3602
post 20 May 2014, 22:39
Post #17

Secure, Contain, Protect
Group Icon

QUOTE (The General @ 20 May 2014, 10:35) *
Reminds me of Starcraft.

Though it does resemble StarCraft I think that is should be pretty different, mainly because the devs don't want to have anyway near the amount of micro that StarCraft has.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Karpet
post 27 May 2014, 21:12
Post #18

Comrade Bear
Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 9722
Projects: Deep Impact

QUOTE (n5p29 @ 4 Apr 2014, 10:32) *
somehow it reminds me a mix of warcraft and RA3.
and for such game with colorful environment, they named it grey. I wonder if it's intentional.

ah well, design and detailed gameplay doesn't really matters as long as it will be a decent RTS game.
just hope they completed it and not ended up like EoN. sad.gif

True, but EoN started to get kind of crappy in my opinion anyways. It was a really fun looking RTS that turned into a shitty MOBA, and then it died.

--------------------
Your feeling of helplessness is your best friend, savage.

+Quote Post
Alceister
post 25 Aug 2014, 1:43
Post #19

Group Icon

Member No.: 347

QUOTE (Karpet @ 27 May 2014, 16:12) *
True, but EoN started to get kind of crappy in my opinion anyways. It was a really fun looking RTS that turned into a shitty MOBA, and then it died.

The "Hey-lets-make-a-tactical-MOBA" idea wasn't any of Petroglyph's fault, though. Blame Trion (the publisher) for wanting to cash in on a hot market, only to realize that they don't have a clue what they're doing.

I am currently regarding Grey Goo with not nearly as much skepticism as hope. Yes it does look kind of generic now, but the game is hardly anywhere close to a release stage. As for art design, remember what EoN and SC2 looked like in their respective pre-alpha stages? It will improve over time.

With that being said, I want an RTS like RA2. I really wanted an RTS like EoN as well. On a related note, I'm also hoping that Gearbox don't screw up the Homeworld thing either.

+Quote Post
Karpet
post 25 Aug 2014, 3:48
Post #20

Comrade Bear
Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 9722
Projects: Deep Impact

QUOTE (Alceister @ 24 Aug 2014, 20:43) *
The "Hey-lets-make-a-tactical-MOBA" idea wasn't any of Petroglyph's fault, though. Blame Trion (the publisher) for wanting to cash in on a hot market, only to realize that they don't have a clue what they're doing.

I am currently regarding Grey Goo with not nearly as much skepticism as hope. Yes it does look kind of generic now, but the game is hardly anywhere close to a release stage. As for art design, remember what EoN and SC2 looked like in their respective pre-alpha stages? It will improve over time.

With that being said, I want an RTS like RA2. I really wanted an RTS like EoN as well. On a related note, I'm also hoping that Gearbox don't screw up the Homeworld thing either.

Well, I never blamed it on Petroglyph, now did I?

--------------------
Your feeling of helplessness is your best friend, savage.

+Quote Post
Eagle 11
post 25 Aug 2014, 16:26
Post #21

Group Icon

Member No.: 10125

The real question is:
But its going to be moddable ?

Everyone here could use a newer "C&C engine", for sure.

+Quote Post
XAttus
post 25 Aug 2014, 21:48
Post #22

Arena maker
Group Icon

Group: Tester
Member No.: 10203

Tried it out at gamescom, and while it looks pretty complicated at first, it's actually pretty simple to play.... (well, the goo at least xD). The Goo faction is rather unique and the name "Grey Goo" resembles their nature... going everywhere and eating everything is what they do. I'm interested to see where they'll end up with it, so far it looks promising.. at least for me.

As for being moddable, I don't know and that's a good question I could have asked. However they will include a map editor so that's already something, especially for a guy like myself tongue.gif

This post has been edited by XAttus: 25 Aug 2014, 21:49

--------------------
XAttus
-game anyone?

The Hunter
- Nobody wants to play bombtruck simulator with you

+Quote Post
Hecthor Doomhamm...
post 26 Aug 2014, 10:12
Post #23

Group Icon

Group: Donator
Member No.: 10281

QUOTE (Eagle 11 @ 25 Aug 2014, 17:26) *
The real question is:
But its going to be moddable ?

Everyone here could use a newer "C&C engine", for sure.

I've played some of it too, the Human faction and I have to say it was quite enjoyable.

As for moddable, I have talked with Micael Legg and Ted Morris, and they are going to at least implement a mapping tool so fans can make maps.
About actual modding, like stuff that happens here, they didn't want to release any info

Aslo I've told them that adding at least 2 Spectators would benefit the streaming community (namely me) a lot but they were planning a replay system, like Generals has

+Quote Post
Alias
post 24 Jan 2015, 16:04
Post #24

Cool Guy
Group Icon

Group: Legend
Member No.: 46

So, it's actually been released now and the user reviews on Steam (surprisingly) seem to be quite positive.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/290790/

Anyone else who is more willing to be a guinea pig have any thoughts?

--------------------

+Quote Post
The_Hunter
post 24 Jan 2015, 19:48
Post #25

Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 1
Projects: SWR Productions
Bitch slapping SAGE since 2003

I'll grab it on a sale since buying games on release seemse to be a silly thing when you can buy them in 6 months for sometimes only 25% of their original price.

edit here is the impression video from TB:

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1 June 2024 - 9:27