Total Votes: 12
Guests cannot vote 
Cobretti
post 9 Sep 2009, 21:38
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Dev. Team
Member No.: 47

Ok, guys, I'm looking for an FPS game that will hold me over until Modern Warfare 2 comes out in two months.

So far I'm looking at F.E.A.R. 2 (25% off until the 10th!), the two Half-Life 2 episodes (still haven't played 'em yet, and they're cheap), Wolfenstein (would like to try a demo first), or Doom 3 (only 10 bucks!), or Call of Juarez 2 (not sure it's worth 50 dollars though). Anyone have any experience? If you have any names of obscure FPS games or any I've overlooked, give me a shout.

This post has been edited by DerKrieger: 9 Sep 2009, 21:40

--------------------
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."-- George S. Patton

Resquiescat in pace, CommanderJB 1991-2009
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
NergiZed
post 9 Sep 2009, 21:56
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 96
Projects: SWR Productions

I voted for HL 2 epsodes, but I think most of those choices are either rather old or short and wouldn't hold their value for long. I would go for something like the Orange Box if you want something that has very high quality but doesn't necessarily last a long time. Doom 3's length is ok, but it's prolly the oldest of the bunch, so the gfx may not be up-to-par now.

If you want something that'll last a Long Time I suggest something like Fallout3. If you don't like RPG elements and just want a pure FPS, I'd prolly go for the HL2 eps and DOOM 3 combo. Another game I'd suggest is getting BF2 if you haven't already and update to v 1.5 (which includes all expansions for free) and then get some good mods like Point of Existence 2, Allied Intent Extended, and Forgotten Hope 2.

Note, I've never played FEAR 2, Call of Juarez, or Wolfenstein so I really can't comment about those.

This post has been edited by NergiZed: 9 Sep 2009, 21:58

--------------------

+Quote Post
C.o.m.m.a.n.d.e....
post 9 Sep 2009, 23:07
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 167

i would prob go for orange box because the amount of mods for source and even if your only getting the "good" mods theres still A LOT out there and will prob last you forevr i bought orange box like 2 years ago and im still playing it sure i dont play the half life 2 or portal but thats cause i beat them and theres so many mods to try if you want to try the ones i play just ask smile.gif. as for F.E.A.R 2 my friend has it and he said its short and isnt nearly as good as the first one call of juarez is ok but def not worth the 50 ide wait till it goes down. wolfenstein and doom 3 know nothing about. altho since doom 3 is 10 bucks you could prob get orange box and doom 3 for 30 altogether compared to 50 for those others.

+Quote Post
Shock
post 9 Sep 2009, 23:19
Post #4

Forum Green
Group Icon

Group: Legend
Member No.: 17

If you haven't yet, go for Bioshock, it's available for like 10 bucks as well, (or 15 in combination with another time killer in the form of the RPG Oblivion).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Soho
post 9 Sep 2009, 23:38
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 69

FEAR 2 is must have.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cobretti
post 10 Sep 2009, 1:03
Post #6

Group Icon

QUOTE (NergiZed @ 9 Sep 2009, 13:56) *
If you want something that'll last a Long Time I suggest something like Fallout3. If you don't like RPG elements and just want a pure FPS, I'd prolly go for the HL2 eps and DOOM 3 combo. Another game I'd suggest is getting BF2 if you haven't already and update to v 1.5 (which includes all expansions for free) and then get some good mods like Point of Existence 2, Allied Intent Extended, and Forgotten Hope 2.

Already beat Fallout 3 (near 100% completion too)...but I don't have the DLC for it yet. The reason I included Doom 3 is because a) its cheap and cool.gif I haven't played the full game yet. I also already have BF2 and the PoE2 mod.

QUOTE (Shock @ 9 Sep 2009, 15:19) *
If you haven't yet, go for Bioshock, it's available for like 10 bucks as well, (or 15 in combination with another time killer in the form of the RPG Oblivion).

Already have both I8.gif

--------------------
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."-- George S. Patton

+Quote Post
ultimentra
post 10 Sep 2009, 1:51
Post #7

^_^
Group Icon

Member No.: 134

Neither. Halo ODST shall be upon us soon. If not that then FEAR 2, ive heard alot of goods things from the FEAR series.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alias
post 10 Sep 2009, 2:03
Post #8

Cool Guy
Group Icon

Member No.: 46

Not everyone thinks Halo is a 'good' game, quite a few of us think it is quite average.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ultimentra
post 10 Sep 2009, 2:46
Post #9

^_^
Group Icon

Member No.: 134

I like halo for the story, the music, the characters, the weapons, designs, and lore. Its not all about "OMGZORZ HALO GUIZ I R TEH HALO FRATBOI CUZ I GUD AT HALO N SHIT LOLOLOLOL". I8.gif

This post has been edited by ultimentra: 10 Sep 2009, 2:46

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stinger
post 10 Sep 2009, 3:10
Post #10

Kitteh
Group Icon

Member No.: 6

I've voted for the Half-Life 2 episodes.

Episode One will keep you entertained for about five hours. Episode Two... Episode Two is special and will remain with you long after you've completed it. Source undergoes noticeable engine upheavals for Episode Two so if you've got a good spec machine then you will be able to get the most out of the playing experience. Valve are the top of their game here.

If money is no object then I'd go for F.E.A.R. 2 (as well as the HL 2 episodes), which is good if you want to further the story. If you own the previous title then it should be the deciding factor in this. If you're not sold, don't go looking for opinions via gameplay videos. The comments contain spoilers.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DELETED MEMBER
post 10 Sep 2009, 3:45
Post #11

BANNED
Group Icon

Member No.: 48

i didnt played fear2 a lot (for what i played, is very similar to the first one) but i will kinda suggest it

doom 3 and HL2 episodes are a good option too, even if they are kinda "old" ( i strictly recomed buying the orange box instead of the episodes alone, as it give you portal and TF2 too) so they are cheap

i didnt play wolfenstein or call to juarez 2, but since they got released not long ago i actually suggest to wait first for they price to drop a little

if you didnt played FEAR1 i actually suggest to get it

so....in my opinion:
Orange Box > Doom 3 > Fear 1 or 2 > HL2 EP alone >wolfenstein & call to juarez 2

Halo ODST shall be upon us soon.

ODST is going to be release next month, if he is going to wait a month it will be better to actually wait two months for MW2 tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cobretti
post 10 Sep 2009, 4:05
Post #12

Group Icon

I liked FEAR 1 a lot...I played the FEAR 2 demo a while back and wasn't so impressed as to make it a must buy for 50 USD.

Halo ODST would be a definite buy if I had an Xbox 360 right now (it's back up in Virginia with my brothers). Halo is popular for a pretty good reasons, IMO.

I already have most of the Orange Box, save for the HL2 episodes and Portal (the latter I played through on a friend's Xbox 360).

--------------------

+Quote Post
DELETED MEMBER
post 10 Sep 2009, 5:02
Post #13

BANNED
Group Icon

then i suggest you Doom 3, since is cheap and will grant you more hours of playing per moneys spended, at least in the first playground

--------------------

+Quote Post
NergiZed
post 10 Sep 2009, 7:11
Post #14

Group Icon

Member No.: 96

Yes, Doom3 probably offers the most $/hours out of all the games listed due to it's cheapness.

Though I'd still suggest BF2 if you like Multiplayer more than single player.

This post has been edited by NergiZed: 10 Sep 2009, 7:12

--------------------

+Quote Post
Raven
post 10 Sep 2009, 10:14
Post #15

Group Icon

Member No.: 155

Out of these i have only played F.E.A.R 2, Wolfenstein and COJ. But i have finished only F.E.A.R 2 and i'm still playing wolf. COJ i started but did not really like it although it may appeal to some people depending on the taste and it is not a bad game by anymeans.

F.E.A.R 2 is great and i thoroughly enjoyed it. It got good graphics and relatively smart AI. Also the spooky elements of the game make it a real good experience. However it does not offer much interms of design or gameplay elements compared to original F.E.A.R but still its great and the campaign is one i enjoyed very much. (Actually as much as the COD4 campaign).

Wolfenstein on the other hand is also good and is based on the COD4 engine. It has exotic weapons, and a RPG esque weapon upgrade system which are nice and to a some degree free roaming ability. However it could have been better. Its not bad, but i would go for F.E.A.R 2 anyday over wolf.

--------------------

+Quote Post
The_Hunter
post 10 Sep 2009, 10:56
Post #16

Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 1
Bitch slapping SAGE since 2003

Having played every single game with the exception of "Call of Juarez 2" on that list i beleive i can give you accurate info on all induviduals so that you may make your own judgement out of it.

Doom 3
If you hadn't played this one allready then shame on you duh2.png
Out of all the games you posted this one has without doubt the biggest single player and if your not a graphics hog who demains the latest graphics for a game to even enjoy it this would be a very good choice and be sure to see if you can nab the expansion too then it will certainly last you a couple of weeks (unless you play it none stop every single free minute you have)

Wolfenstein
Got it the day it was released and played through it the day after i can say that i found it a very interesting game and it had a nice plot twist in the story with quite a few occurances which you dno't see coming.
That beeing said however the single player campeign is not something that will last you much longer then a week and the multiplayer is quite uninspired and it's clear that single player is the selling point of this game.

Halflife Episode 1&2
Altho a nice addition to the story i found both the first and second episode lacking on new content both add some new enemies abit new story and that's it no new weapons or items of significant change and the this will only last you a few days.

F.E.A.R. 2
Altho Graphicly amazingly looking it it was lacking alot of the nice features that made F.E.A.R. (1) awesome ontop of that the single player only took me 2 days and i didn't even play it constantly.

Like i said i did not play "Call of Juarez 2" or it's previous game so i cannot give you any feedback on that.
Hope this was of help to you wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
beefJeRKy
post 14 Sep 2009, 23:36
Post #17

Formerly Scopejim
Group Icon

Member No.: 38
Electronics Engineer

Have you played Mass Effect? It's a shooter RPG with quite the story element. Plays fantastically and will keep you entertained for a while.

+Quote Post
Cobretti
post 15 Sep 2009, 4:55
Post #18

Group Icon

QUOTE (Scope @ 14 Sep 2009, 15:36) *
Have you played Mass Effect? It's a shooter RPG with quite the story element. Plays fantastically and will keep you entertained for a while.

Yes! It's a great game. I want to play it again but I lost the DVD sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Shiro
post 15 Sep 2009, 14:10
Post #19

Gamer Girl
Group Icon

Member No.: 182
Friendly Freelancer

You guys brought me on an idea mindfuck.gif

+Quote Post
beefJeRKy
post 15 Sep 2009, 21:55
Post #20

Formerly Scopejim
Group Icon

Electronics Engineer

QUOTE (DerKrieger @ 15 Sep 2009, 3:55) *
Yes! It's a great game. I want to play it again but I lost the DVD sad.gif

Can't wait for the sequel! aw.gif

+Quote Post
Pav3d
post 15 Sep 2009, 22:30
Post #21

Group Icon

Member No.: 230

Battlefield: Bad Company, probably one of the best FPS's ever imo, great story and great multiplayer, plus its got proper destruction!
FEAR 2 is fun, short story tho, and the multiplayer is pretty much non-existant, tho recently some free dl's came out for it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
C.o.m.m.a.n.d.e....
post 16 Sep 2009, 0:12
Post #22

Group Icon

Member No.: 167

QUOTE (Pav3d @ 15 Sep 2009, 12:30) *
Battlefield: Bad Company, probably one of the best FPS's ever imo, great story and great multiplayer, plus its got proper destruction!

no proper destruction is Red Faction Guerilla biggrin.gif
http://fidgit.com/archives/2009/06/develop...ction_guerr.php

+Quote Post
Pav3d
post 16 Sep 2009, 0:47
Post #23

Group Icon

Member No.: 230

QUOTE (C.o.m.m.a.n.d.e.r @ 15 Sep 2009, 21:12) *
no proper destruction is Red Faction Guerilla biggrin.gif
http://fidgit.com/archives/2009/06/develop...ction_guerr.php

But bad company is actually good tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
beefJeRKy
post 16 Sep 2009, 1:58
Post #24

Formerly Scopejim
Group Icon

Electronics Engineer

RF - Guerilla is fun. And Bad Company is a console exclusive sad.gif

+Quote Post
DELETED MEMBER
post 16 Sep 2009, 2:57
Post #25

BANNED
Group Icon

QUOTE (Scope @ 15 Sep 2009, 19:55) *
Can't wait for the sequel! aw.gif

damn you, i want to end MGS4, but now you rememberme i have to end my second playground of Mass Effect 1 duh_worm.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13 June 2024 - 0:28