Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Upgrading my graphics card
SWR Productions Forum > Community > The Databank
IonCharge
I might soon be upgrading my Graphics card and i was thinking of which to get and I couldn't choose so i thought i'd make a post here...
What do you guys suggest?
Frostyarmy
Tell me your power supply and ill tell whats avalible
Raven
Well before you buy consider your needs, is it for gaming, gfx design etc? if its for gaming do you play on high-res and do you need to play all your games on very high quality? also your budget?

Personally i would wait for a few months till dx11 cards are out. This would result in a huge price drop for existing cards. ATI has already released there 5000 series dx11 cards. NVIDIA would follow them soon i guess. My suggestion is to wait for few more months till all the new cards are released. Then you can get a really good deal for existing top-end cards.
Frostyarmy
Dude you need a good power supply to even think about using the Dam card. if you buy a card that your power Supply cant handle iit will seem to be godly but in about a month a non handable power supply with die out and possiblely take all your Hardware alone with it
Shock
I suggest the nVidia GTX295.

NO seriously, what is your current computer specification, what is your power supply and what is your budget, and then we can talk about recommendations.
C.o.m.m.a.n.d.e.r
ATI is coming out with the 5800 series makes the Nvidea 295 look like a rock in the road but as usual ATI does take A LOT of power not to mention 5800 isnt out...yet
beefJeRKy
ATi Radeon 5850 is starting to show up as a good deal with its price being near $200 I think (much like the 4850 last year). Of course this is a high end card and even then, a 4850 will still do wonders.
Frostyarmy
No card does wonders until the power source can even power it mindfuck.gif
beefJeRKy
You don't need to repeat yourself Mr Zhao screwyou.gif
And the 5850 doesn't need more than 500W I believe unless you have a crapload of HDDs and a beefy Quad-Core processor. Right now I've got a monster 1200W PSU (because the place where i got it only had 600, 700 and 1200 for some reason and I needed 850 optimally). It is a Thermaltake thankfully aw.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.