Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Critical Situation
SWR Productions Forum > SWR Projects > Rise of the Reds > Custom Maps
Gracia
After spending countless hours raging at working with the Worldbuilder I present my very first map to the SWR community. It contains a lot of detail but hopefully not too taxing on low-end machines. It has a full working AI but is recommend to play PvP due to AI sillies which I cannot really fix.Firstly, the story, written by MARS:

Following the infamous Sulaymaan-Baluyev Affair of 2024, the relations between the Russian Federation and the United States reached a historical breaking point that had not been seen since the Cuban Missile Crisis: After US special forces operating in Iran had uncovered and disrupted a secret delivery of Russian advanced weapons to the GLA, the government in Moscow was openly branded an international pariah, with punishing sanctions enacted, all while the country’s own political opposition rallied in mass protests under the leadership of Nikolai Suvorov.
Making matters worse, the GLA now set its sights on Russia as well, expanding its operations further into the Caucasus : With the support of local Chechen separatists, the organisation mounted a wave of terrorist attacks against Russian citizens while plans were drawn up for an elaborate attack on the Russian-operated cosmodrome in Baikonur, Kazakhstan. It was during this period of extreme violence that a GLA strike force hijacked a military cargo train in southern Russia, getting its hands on a most volatile shipment of weapons: Three heavy-duty MAZ-543 launch trucks together with multiple ‘Scud-D’ ballistic missiles.

Russian forces did their best to keep track of the missiles but failed to intercept them before the GLA hauled them off into the wilderness of Chechnya, where a violent insurrection against the government was already in full swing. Meanwhile, both the CIA and the Chinese Ministry of State Security observed the critical situation closely. With Russian forces caught up in the uprising and a clear and present risk of the missiles disappearing off the grid before they would make a destructive reappearance, a covert operation of American and Chinese forces was sent underway, classified top secret, into the Caucasus.

Initially, the operation went according to plan: A small detachment of Chinese mechanised forces stopped the GLA convoy in a small town, locking it in place for capture by American airborne troops.

However, the situation went out of control when suddenly both sides found themselves attacked by Russian helicopter gunships and paratroopers of the elite Tula Division. Indeed, the chaos and sub-par liaison amidst the Sino-American task force even resulted in several friendly fire casualties.

In the end, the US Air Force scrambled one of its advanced Aurora bombers into the area and flat-out obliterated much of the town along with the launch trucks, only to have its aircraft taken out of the sky by Russian fighters, furious and most eager to show who was meant to settle this domestic crisis.

Despite shocking casualties, the GLA was denied a vital military asset, as later intelligence revealed that the missiles were to be loaded with chemical agents at a GLA facility near Mount Elbrus. Yet, the diplomatic fallout behind the scenes between Washington, Beijing and Moscow proved just as murderous and the insurrection in Chechnya continued all the way into the early 2030s.

Notes:
-I wasn't able to be more liberal in some placements due to the Worldbuilder limits, unless an update is made so there are more assets to use for more authenticity.
-Ignore the Texas signs... although one could argue Texas is backwards enough as I am limited in my asset options.
-The 'dead' units can be built on top of if you need build space. (No, the Russians or ECA can't regain these units, so don't try!)
-There are some valuable tech buildings and some supplies in the centre in the ruined town!
-I am aware of the tree growing on the street in the SW corner
-Some areas may look "poorer" in detail, this was to keep in mind multiplayer games and toasters low-end machines as well as for expansion.
-If you're wondering where the ECA went, they are on a tea break. (Not our war chaps!)

If people like this, I may end up working on some missions, if there is demand but we'll see.

Please post any feedback, suggestions, comments, etc on what you think needs to be improved or whatever.

Special thanks to MARS for the bonus story content!
And (too many to list!) thank you the Skype community for giving pre-release feedback!

And the map itself, along with some screens: (EDIT: Uploaded to Moddb now)

http://puu.sh/lPu9A/22cb69ea39.jpg
http://puu.sh/lPubs/7ff8f68c5a.jpg
http://puu.sh/lPukz/289b7b1572.jpg
http://puu.sh/lPunJ/38ef993654.jpg
http://puu.sh/lPupA/30980366d3.jpg
Skitt
Love the story,

Toasters mindfuck.gif

from the screens looks realy good.
{Lads}RikerZZZ
thats really cool getting some lore. Nice work Jie smile.gif
Gracia
Updated first post with a new version. Thanks to xAttus for fixing some texture glitches. Also included a few minor fixes myself.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.