Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Certain "dangerous" games are to be banned in Indonesia
SWR Productions Forum > Community > General Chat
nikitazero678
http://en.tempo.co/read/news/2016/05/01/31...us-Online-Games
https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/co...ission_kpai_is/

From those two news links above, we can see that Indonesia's so-called Child Protection Commission considers that certain video games are dangerous and are asking for the government to ban them.

I don't really know what happened with them and what are they thinking, really. Are these people so reactionary enough to think that video games are the bane of our younger generations? Did they actually pay heed to the rating system in most games and have at least read most MMO games' TOS/EULA? Did they put the blame on negative effects of video games to the games themselves instead of the player's parents who failed to attend and advise their kids?

And what's worse, why did they bother to strongly voice their opposition against video games while the clearly rubbish and meaningless soap operas and variety shows are the main problem that plagued my country's society? So this means that they are, really, corrupt and hypocrite motherf*ckers.

If this keeps up, I am sure that Indonesia will be one of the most backward countries in the world. Looks like the people wants to go back to the good old days with strict control over the society rather than to be more progressive, advanced and liberal.

That's what I want to discuss here, especially because this news has hurt my honor and pride as a video gaming enthusiast and gamer so much.
n5p29
The banned games are not even games for kids (I had to bold and underlined that). Those moral guardians from Child Protection Commission (KPAI) still think games are exclusively for kids. It seems they don't even understand the concept of Rating System. These guys are the same with the people who bring their kids to watch Deadpool movie.

Even our Communication and Information Committee (Kominfo) already proposed rating system, and the proposed system was good imo. But in the end KPAI rejected them. Maybe because most of KPAI are still from the old generation. They really need to be educated, or maybe replaced with younger generation that fully understand the issue.

But well, they don't really have power in this. It's still up to Kominfo if those games will be banned for real. When that happen, shit will hit the fan.

In the other hand, we also need to see why this petition were happened. Most player of those games (that half of them are even unheard of) are indeed kids.
Unlike in western worlds, not every kid/family/house have a computer/console, thus there are netcafes everywhere. These places are like game arcades in the 90s. Our kids are often hangout in these places, not rare to see many kids skipping schools can be found here as well. The netcafe staffs also don't care much what their customers doing in there. The ignorance level in our society is just too damn high. It is like how cigarettes still able to get in children's hands even with those regulations.

There are still many to fix, not just the KPAI, but also our society mentality.

"Rating cuma pajangan, gan."
nikitazero678
Well, in the end, my country's government adopted a video game rating system which managed to solve this problem, so this works for me... no more complaints.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.