Well it's time for a tourney. This an FFA for ROTR. Here is the ladder of maps:
1. 1st match: seven star assault.
2. 2nd match: Tournament city
3. 3rd match: mountain guns
4. quarter finals: tournament urban
5. semi finals: flash effect
6. finals: tournament desert
As with almost everything there are rules:
1. The most important rule, TREAT OTHER PLAYERS WITH RESPECT (Yes you can blow up all of there buildings, thats different). I don't care if another player has destroyed your base, just treat players with respect.
2. There will be NO swear/cuss/curse words. I don't care if a player has just destroyed your 40 overlords rush. This is NOT a bad mouth convention.
3. There will be NO exploiting bugs/glitches etc. And when I watch your game I will know when you start getting 50 overlords at a time from 1 war factory with only 100 $ left.
4. When a player surrenders/is defeated we move on to the next map. I give 5 (five) minutes to let you get there. If you are not there in 5 (five) minutes, you automatically forfeit.
Thank you those are the rules. To join this tourney and other tourneys afterward, just join the hamachi network "Tournament group". The time that it will take place is to be dated. Thank you and have fun.
Pickysaurus
Are you sure you can fill all the slots. From what I've seen there isn't much interest in a ROTR tournament right now
Frostyarmy
I wouldent mind , but this extremely bad timing no?
Balizk
I would like to participate, but i need to know when :/

School Tests here.
Casojin
In "Mountain Guns", those who start on the edge would have a great advantage. Thus, the map doesn't seem balance.
Massey
QUOTE (Generalcamo @ 26 Oct 2009, 0:00) *
2. There will be NO swear/cuss/curse words.

im out. i cant go to war without a cuss here and there. saying u cute bear with ur flower power just not the same.

8chi.png massey
Nidmeister
QUOTE (Massey @ 26 Oct 2009, 10:11) *
im out. i cant go to war without a cuss here and there. saying u cute bear with ur flower power just not the same.

8chi.png massey

Considering most people still play with the word filter on, (Which is a pretty satrict one at that) I don't really think profanities will be that much of a problem.
WhiteMetalSesa
Not bad the idea with the Match happy.gif happy.gif
Frostyarmy
not so good , im pretty much a "Step up" player as im the weakest of the professional player catogire , in terms of best player it goes

1st : Sharpnessim
2nd: XV
3rd: erik
4th: Nuclear/Nem/Blackout
5th: Blood"Mad"
6th:walking ghost / Zhao
7th: etc...
Shock
I think you're forgetting Stinger, who's up there with Erik and XV.
Sharpnessism
don't really like how it moves from a FFA to a 1v1...imo it'd be better to just have one or the other
Shock
True. Second, big FFAs can take a hell of a long time. Better make it go from 8 to 4 players, with the victor of the 4 player match be victorious.
Frostyarmy
I also dought people such as Destiny or kumalik or pickysauras will even participate , even known there icon images on teh forum there highly unlikey to even do a 1 v 1
GeneralCamo
QUOTE (Massey @ 26 Oct 2009, 4:11) *

8chi.png massey

Well, you can use replacements (darn/dang, frikin, etc.). Also, supply lines is the only other 5 player map. people in the middle would REALLY have an unfair unadvantage
Frostyarmy
ADVANTAGE!!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!
Pickysaurus
He means Disadvantage

QUOTE (Жao @ 27 Oct 2009, 20:31) *
I also dought people such as Destiny or kumalik or pickysauras will even participate , even known there icon images on teh forum there highly unlikey to even do a 1 v 1

I'd maybe give it a crack.

Personally, a pair of 4-plater FFAs could be round one - to weed out the weakest players. (These games would be played until two from each are defeated)
The next rounds would all be 1vs1 (1 winner from Category A vs 1 winner from Category B or similar)
Then the final would be the victors from those matches.
Alias
It should just be 1v1 knockout the entire way though, that's how it worked for the last (and only...) ShockWave tournament, and it worked quite well.
The best of the rest idea was good too.

Problem is Rise of the Reds is too imbalanced (although I guess the last tournament WAS vanilla 0.95 with crazy Ironside) and it's not close enough to a ShockWave release to have a good enough quantity of players.
Sharpnessism
QUOTE (Alias @ 27 Oct 2009, 19:58) *
It should just be 1v1 knockout the entire way though, that's how it worked for the last (and only...) ShockWave tournament, and it worked quite well.
The best of the rest idea was good too.

Problem is Rise of the Reds is too imbalanced (although I guess the last tournament WAS vanilla 0.95 with crazy Ironside) and it's not close enough to a ShockWave release to have a good enough quantity of players.

i think the current RotR version isnt too bad to be used, a lot of things are still not wellknown at all, and im sure no one has figured out most aspects of online play

im still against switching game types half way through, it would be a lot better to just make 1v1 brackets+double elimination or having an FFA with some point system
Frostyarmy
How would that work , the CS Being 95% of the people would get easily owned D:

ALso it should be 10000$ or 15000$ max.
GeneralCamo
INFO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!: The official date is HERE. This Saturday (10/30/09) the tourney will begin. Please join now.
Frostyarmy
Dude , i cant do that , im going to a party then D:
Pickysaurus
QUOTE (Жao @ 29 Oct 2009, 23:11) *
Dude , i cant do that , im going to a party then D:

I too will be partying on that date
GeneralCamo
Well then you have some good news, apparently the new hamachi doesn't work on my comp anymore. It runs, then freezes after trying to load. I will haft to postpone the tourney.
Frostyarmy
so get a older version of hamachi
ReLaX
Well, if there would a be a "decent" balance 1on1 should be the best.
FFA has more to with luck than anything else.
Sharp is definately the best here, wayyy better than all others.

You'll always have the same problem.
ROTR will never be balanced, like shw isn't.
Second problem is if you dont try to keep it active now to see ALL imbalances than you dont have an active/balanced game later.

Shame that your worksteps are still wrong.
Frostyarmy
What?!
E.V.E.
Bohooo, looks liek we still do everything wrong ...

About the Tourney: Sorry to say, but there was only one time when a actual Tournament was held.
It seems to be pretty difficult because of all the Time Zones etc.

Still, good luck to you.

- E.V.E.
ReLaX
No, its the overall activity which is too low. Not much advertising for this mod.
Erik
lol if theres the word turney out there ReLax isnt far. mindfuck.gif
Frostyarmy
Advertizing? I drag people from the 30 people always active ZH networks all the time 1 by 1
Pickysaurus
Yeah we have a pretty active Hamachi base - 9 times out of 10 I have signed on and there have been people to play against.
ReLaX
Two problems:
I hate bashing noobs 50% of the time.
Hamachi doesnt work atm and is worse than ZH online is.
But I guess those who use hamachi have no key for ZH which is gay.
Pickysaurus
QUOTE (ReLaX @ 3 Nov 2009, 6:34) *
Two problems:
I hate bashing noobs 50% of the time.
Hamachi doesnt work atm and is worse than ZH online is.
But I guess those who use hamachi have no key for ZH which is gay.

Well most of the players I know are far from noobs - and they usually teach new players, not bash them.
Hamachi is used simply because it is easier and more reliable than ZH online, which as you said, is crap.
I'm pretty sure 9/10 people here have a genuine copy of Generals and ZH.
Frostyarmy
I have a legal copy of ZH as well if you dont mind , also unlike 99% of the shitty pros here i can sit down with a new player and teach him how to play.
ReLaX
Well most of the players I know are far from noobs - and they usually teach new players, not bash them.
Hamachi is used simply because it is easier and more reliable than ZH online, which as you said, is crap.
I'm pretty sure 9/10 people here have a genuine copy of Generals and ZH.

I teached them as well. What you think I did is simply wrong. ZH online runs better for a good amount of people, I can't speakj onyl for some of them.
And I met a lot of people which said I cant get online while I played shockwave.
E.V.E.
And I met alot of People wich ment the exact opposite.

- E.V.E.
Wi-Ta
Different people different meanings.
I meet people and friends with this two meanings on 50/50 base.
But anyway much will change with the next versions.
Sometimes i have the feeling people do not understand what a Public Beta is about.
Hell no, they handle a Public Beta like a finished mod. shit.gif
Frostyarmy
i personally don't think running them over with tanks and having them learn the hard way , then giving em tips at the end really helps at the
"beginning" if there really new , Commander Z needed to be showed the meta game to get a start anywhere and that's how it has be'in for most brand new players Ive seen

I do that by using Beacon placements in a tournament desert (2) Sandbox to have him do the example instead to give them a better understanding how it works.
Once they understand how to do i , i play more games with them and point out any issues with them With a comment , and if necessary repeat the tutorial with more specified information . As i'd like to have all my players on hamachi to be at least half decent of a player .

Ever do a 3 v 3 with a bunch of new players? its Insanely boring

There are however some players who do need to learn the hard way , but it mainly has to due with there lack of trying or high morale to get better ( meaning losing and trying again) i still suffer this problem slightly but not as much as i did.

Also that online thing isn't much of a difference from hamachi really its still pure Ping , Ive had laggy matches as well as quick smooth matches , the online has a filter that allows you to filter out the pros from the nubs rather easy and the laggers from the lag nots and the active players from the non active players
Nidmeister
No offence Zhao, but the last kid I faced that you "taught" got flattened.
If I'd take anyones word for teaching new players, it would be ReLaX.
I dont particularly like him, but when it comes to bieng one of the best ZH players around, he is undisputed champion. Especially around these parts.
I've never faced him myself, but word of his victories used to reach my ears often.
Frostyarmy
his training wasnt done idoit , he had 1 week of training at the time to

you cant expect a player to become pro in a Week dude.
Alias
One of the best ways for someone to learn is by looking at their mistakes and what other people do right.

I learnt the most when I was helping Stinger balance 0.951 and we just had a good hundred at least 1v1s (most of which I lost ;_;). I looked at most of the replays to see what I did wrong and what he did right.

That's the thing that really helped me, others may be different.
Frostyarmy
thats the thing others are different and Some hate to lose so i have no choice but to physicaly point out there mistakes as Replay seem to not help them.

Others say it took much to grasp at once as its a epic jump in skill level.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.