Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Avatar
SWR Productions Forum > Community > The Box
Shock
Avatar discussion thread. This movie has pushed away all but one (Sherlock Holmes) hollywood blockbuster for monopoly last holidays, and has been grossing big money all over the world with nearly two times as more revenue than the current second place. No doubt one factor in this is the glaring lack of competition as apparently just like with MW2, few studios wanted to be next to it with the release.

But, I guess some/a lot of you must have seen it by now. What was your opinion about it, did it meet your expectations following the general hype. What about the special effects, are they really revolutionary?

I have not seen the movie yet, so please any spoilers in spoiler tags!!
Colonel Mitch
QUOTE (Shock @ 2 Jan 2010, 20:09) *
Avatar discussion thread. This movie has pushed away all but one (Sherlock Holmes) hollywood blockbuster for monopoly last holidays, and has been grossing big money all over the world with nearly two times as more revenue than the current second place. No doubt one factor in this is the glaring lack of competition as apparently just like with MW2, few studios wanted to be next to it with the release.

But, I guess some/a lot of you must have seen it by now. What was your opinion about it, did it meet your expectations following the general hype. What about the special effects, are they really revolutionary?

I have not seen the movie yet, so please any spoilers in spoiler tags!!

Saw it with a mate at our local cinema and was blown away.

Went to see it in IMAX 3D a few days later and was blown away again!

Almost all of the movie is cgi but its so convincing and colourful the idea is you wont notice, and it works.

Some people say the stories bad, but personally, I thought it was pretty good. There were a couple of things i didn't expect, and whist what was going to happen at the end was obvious from the first 30 mins, its kinda unavoidable and it doesn't bother me.

Effects and execution of everythin was perfect.

Got our own thread about avatar on our forums (ATK Community, England), in which all but one have agreed its one of the best movies we've ever seen, and personally, i cant think of anything to better it.
Sharpnessism
Story: Decent, nothing too special, had some meaning
CGI: Pretty good, could have used more explosions lol, they looked pretty nice, I wouldn't say revolutionary though but it was good
Acting: It was fine for me, some characters could have used some more emotion though
Atmosphere: I liked it, the alien forest/scenery was nice

It was a bit weird seeing the aliens at first but since the movie so long you got used to them at some point haha, I only saw it in 3D. IMO it is worth seeing for sure if you're going to the movies, but it is pretty expensive seeing it in 3D (extra $5 Canadian here).

Also @Sherlock, don't watch it if you didn't watch Avatar first lol. It's overall OK, had a good beginning/ending but some parts got a bit boring in the middle, though it might be just because it's the first movie (more talk/character development).
MARS
Haven't seen it, might do so when it's out on DVD as I really don't care about this whole 3D thing. Judging by the stuff I've heard about it, Avatar's main selling point is the brilliant CGI and from what I have seen in the trailers, it really IS an accomplishment that shows that our CGI technology has finally gone past the uncanny valley. Sure, modern CGI has been pretty convincing for a few years by now but this is the first time where it carries through an entire movie without feeling weird...or so I heard. Story-wise, I've heard everything from brilliant and meaningful to generic and anvilicious and even though I'd like to be convinced of the opposite, this whole theme of militaristic white people oppressing nature-loving blue people bears obvious connotations to what happened several times in human history. Since I haven't been personally involved in any ethnic oppressions, I have a bit of a problem watching a movie that still tries to make me feel bad because I'm white. This isn't meant to sound racist and I am NOT claiming that Avatar really intends this, but the undertone is certainly present in the movie's setting. This isn't a reason to dismiss the movie, though. My final judgement will be reserved for afterwards.
beefJeRKy
Actually I would advise you to watch it in 3d as it isn't the usual gimmicky stuff where something flies out towards you. The 3d simply adds another layer of depth to the movie. Avatar was simply the best looking movie I've ever seen. Effects and CGI were really mind-blowing. Story itself wasn't something particularly special IMO but it had no bad points. Also I can tell the actors played their parts very well. Once again, nothing that jumps out to you, but all very good. The atmosphere gets quite involving towards the end of the movie. Quite a memorable movie imo. Cameron's best if you ask me.
NergiZed
My verdict would be 'decent'. Nothing too special plot-wise, so it quickly fell off my charts after I watched it once. I've never watched a movie based on the spectacle alone, I've always seen good special effects as an accessory to good plot.
IPS
seen it in 3d and I have to admit it's freaking awesome.

the story is ok, some social criticism, some action going on, some love story, typical hollywood stuff imo.

the world it's set in is great, I loved every single detail about it, the creatures, the plants, the buildings, the atmosphere...

however that movie was more than just something to watch, it was an experience, you could really feel that world arround you.
I never expearienced somthing like that tbh.

maybe that's because I do a lot cg stuff myself, but it definitely set a whole new level to the film industry

hopefully the game industry will follow soon, but I'm affraid many people will then to starve to death
infront of their pcs because their reallive sucks ass compared to the games XD (or they simply forget it's a game and not their live they are playing >.<)
wb21
QUOTE (IPS @ 4 Jan 2010, 8:09) *
the story is ok, some social criticism, some action going on, some love story, typical hollywood stuff imo.

They say that the movie is Aryanist racist:

Source from AP through Yahoo

- Near the end of the hit film "Avatar," the villain snarls at the hero, "How does it feel to betray your own race?" Both men are white — although the hero is inhabiting a blue-skinned, 9-foot-tall, long-tailed alien.

Strange as it may seem for a film that pits greedy, immoral humans against noble denizens of a faraway moon, "Avatar" is being criticized by a small but vocal group of people who allege it contains racist themes — the white hero once again saving the primitive natives.

Since the film opened to widespread critical acclaim three weeks ago, hundreds of blog posts, newspaper articles, tweets and YouTube videos have said things such as the film is "a fantasy about race told from the point of view of white people" and that it reinforces "the white Messiah fable."

The film's writer and director, James Cameron, says the real theme is about respecting others' differences.

In the film (read no further if you don't want the plot spoiled for you) a white, paralyzed Marine, Jake Sully, is mentally linked to an alien's body and set loose on the planet Pandora. His mission: persuade the mystic, nature-loving Na'vi to make way for humans to mine their land for unobtanium, worth $20 million per kilo back home.

Like Kevin Costner in "Dances with Wolves" and Tom Cruise in "The Last Samurai" or as far back as Jimmy Stewart in the 1950 Western "Broken Arrow," Sully soon switches sides. He falls in love with the Na'vi princess and leads the bird-riding, bow-and-arrow-shooting aliens to victory over the white men's spaceships and mega-robots.

Adding to the racial dynamic is that the main Na'vi characters are played by actors of color, led by a Dominican, Zoe Saldana, as the princess. The film also is an obvious metaphor for how European settlers in America wiped out the Indians.

Robinne Lee, an actress in such recent films as "Seven Pounds" and "Hotel for Dogs," said that "Avatar" was "beautiful" and that she understood the economic logic of casting a white lead if most of the audience is white.

But she said the film, which so far has the second-highest worldwide box-office gross ever, still reminded her of Hollywood's "Pocahontas" story — "the Indian woman leads the white man into the wilderness, and he learns the way of the people and becomes the savior."

"It's really upsetting in many ways," said Lee, who is black with Jamaican and Chinese ancestry. "It would be nice if we could save ourselves."

Annalee Newitz, editor-in-chief of the sci-fi Web site io9.com , likened "Avatar" to the recent film "District 9," in which a white man accidentally becomes an alien and then helps save them, and 1984's "Dune," in which a white man becomes an alien Messiah.

"Main white characters realize that they are complicit in a system which is destroying aliens, AKA people of color ... (then) go beyond assimilation and become leaders of the people they once oppressed," she wrote.

"When will whites stop making these movies and start thinking about race in a new way?" wrote Newitz, who is white.

Black film professor and author Donald Bogle said he can understand why people would be troubled by "Avatar," although he praised it as a "stunning" work.

"A segment of the audience is carrying in the back of its head some sense of movie history," said Bogle, author of "Toms, Coons, Mulattoes, Mammies & Bucks: An Interpretive History of Blacks in American Films."

Bogle stopped short, however, of calling the movie racist.

"It's a film with still a certain kind of distortion," he said. "It's a movie that hasn't yet freed itself of old Hollywood traditions, old formulas."

Writer/director Cameron, who is white, said in an e-mail to The Associated Press that his film "asks us to open our eyes and truly see others, respecting them even though they are different, in the hope that we may find a way to prevent conflict and live more harmoniously on this world. I hardly think that is a racist message."

There are many ways to interpret the art that is "Avatar."

What does it mean that in the final, sequel-begging scene, Sully abandons his human body and transforms into one of the Na'vi for good? Is Saldana's Na'vi character the real heroine because she, not Sully, kills the arch-villain? Does it matter that many conservatives are riled by what they call liberal environmental and anti-military messages?

Is Cameron actually exposing the historical evils of white colonizers? Does the existence of an alien species expose the reality that all humans are actually one race?

"Can't people just enjoy movies any more?" a person named Michelle posted on the Web site for Essence, the magazine for black women, which had 371 comments on a story debating the issue.

Although the "Avatar" debate springs from Hollywood's historical difficulties with race, Will Smith recently saved the planet in "I Am Legend," and Denzel Washington appears ready to do the same in the forthcoming "Book of Eli."

Bogle, the film historian, said that he was glad Cameron made the film and that it made people think about race.

"Maybe there is something he does want to say and put across" about race, Bogle said. "Maybe if he had a black hero in there, that point would have been even stronger."
MARS
Near the end of the hit film "Avatar," the villain snarls at the hero, "How does it feel to betray your own race?"
Both men are white — although the hero is inhabiting a blue-skinned, 9-foot-tall, long-tailed alien.

For all we know, he might just be referring to 'your own race' as in the 'human race'.

Strange as it may seem for a film that pits greedy, immoral humans against noble denizens of a faraway moon, "Avatar" is being criticized by a small but vocal group of people who allege it contains racist themes — the white hero once again saving the primitive natives.

Since the film opened to widespread critical acclaim three weeks ago, hundreds of blog posts, newspaper articles, tweets and YouTube videos have said things such as the film is "a fantasy about race told from the point of view of white people" and that it reinforces "the white Messiah fable."

The entire premise of the movie reeks of starry-eyed idealism, whether the hero is a white guy or not. If Avatar was a real story, there would have been no Jake Sully who falls in love with a Navi girl and decides to change sides. The human invaders would have stuck to the same 'us vs. the primitives' colonial-era mindset coupled with the fact that these primitives don't even live on our PLANET, and wiped them out with whatever WMDs they use in the future. Confrontations between such radically different species where one has the undisputed technological advantage hardly ever end in favour of those who still use bows and spears, but I guess a scenario in which the Navi world gets turned into a smoldering nuclear wasteland with the remaining population enslaved or flatout exterminated in concentration camps would have been a bit too depressing for the average movie-goer.

"When will whites stop making these movies and start thinking about race in a new way?" wrote Newitz, who is white.

When will PEOPLE finally get over such silly concepts as race, stop over-thinking CGI-heavy Hollywood block-
busters and just enjoy the goddamn movie for what it is, Pocahontas with blue people and space marines?
NOT everything is always about race! Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar.
ka1000
what a load of utter bullshit.
Alias
People seem to pull the racism card on everything now. Just a few days ago they had to pull an Australian ad because when it was leaked on Youtube, Americans thought it was racist.

Political correctness is one of the things I do not agree with from the left wing of politics.
Shock
It is just a movie...
Frostyarmy
Not everything is judged by race

Visit my school someday duh2.png

I think this whole avatar thingy is stupid though :giggles:
Raven
The movie as a whole is very good IMO. The story is very predictable and nothing spectacular, but the presentation is very good and attention to details is top notch. The CGI as everyone agrees is awesome. The alien world some times looks like an under sea expedition to me because lot of plants and the some creatures look like deep sea creatures we have seen in Discovery Channel smile.gif. If this was some other movie, it would be a flop because of its predictable story line. But because of the awesome presentation, it has become a class product.
beefJeRKy
*facepalm* at the racist thing.

Also Paul Atreides didn't become an alien in Dune. He simply acquired Bene Gesserit powers and combined them with Mentat powers making him both a cunning and ruthless warrior and an extremely intelligent being with the ability to foresee events etc...
IPS
The alien world some times looks like an under sea expedition to me because lot of plants and the some creatures look like deep sea creatures we have seen in Discovery Channel smile.gif

hehe, funny you mention that wink.gif
"Cameron's passion and extensive knowledge of underwater photography is where he draws a lot of his inspiration,
so we did a lot's of reference on underwater plants and animals to figure out what the biolume nighttime on Pandora would look like."
(from GCSociety article)
partyzanPaulZy
This movie brings many unclear questions, esp. these 2:

1) Was Jake hero or traitor?

In the beginning he was just an infiltrator of Pandora's native race Na'vi, after loosing their trust he returns to them as new warleader of pan-Na'Vi alliance which is victorious in the final battle for sacred tree (all organisms on Pandora are neurally connected) and saves Pandora from Earth's fate. In the end new chief Jake transfers his mind into avatar's body completely.

X
some story for bigger image (partially speculations which should fit with the story)
In the beginning of the 21st century Earth was caught in economical crisis caused by dropping resources, lives of billions were saved by end of crisis after extraterestrial mining operations began (probably in second half of the 21st century), many of them still proceeds in the Solar system: Mostly on near asteroids and planetoids, some of them are executed on outer moons of gas giants, Moon or Mars.
Meanwhile planet hunters discovered planet system around Alpha Centauri, this neighbour planet system has one important member: gas giant with fascinating moon full of organical molecules. This gas giant became known Polyphemia and his most important moon as Pandora. Later our deep space probes detected whole ecosystem similar to earlier Earth's one (just with difference: Pandora's atmosphere is toxic for humans). However our deep space probes also detected something more crucial to economy of 20 billion people back on Earth: Unobtainium, highly conducting mineral which is capable of magnetical levitation. In early 22nd century Resources Development Administration corporation arrived on Pandorra using latest transport carriers* to start mining of Unobtainium. Despite hard conditions and permanent conflicts with natives mining operations were running smoothly till Avatar project... RDA staff on Pandora wasn't just miners, but also mercenaries hired to protect mining activities and scientists who should get there valuable knowledge usefull not only for RDA interests. One of their projects has been called Avatar, using puppet bodies based on Na'vi DNA mixed with DNA of specific Avatar operator. In fact Avatars were Na'vi, just without their own mind. Avatars were created for easier Pandorra exploration.

Role of Jake Sully in this programme was clear: 1. infiltrate local Na'vi tribe 2. use his inteligence to convince Na'vi tribe to move from mining area
After his failure in 2nd part of his task he became insane, turned against whole human race proclaming himself as Na'vi main warchief and overnumbered RDA mercenary forces were pushed away leaving just small scientifical outpost on Pandora. Loosing main Unobtainium source the fate of Earth population is unclean now. (RDA dirty things aren't mentioned by RDA officials)

(I don't have much time, so the rest is shorter:)
2)Is Avatar revolutionary kind of movie or another cheap movie for masses?
Avatar's budget was pretty high: half billion USD were spent, however 2 billions USD are about to be gained just from cinema tickets.
It took around 3 years just to film the Avatar, most of it's scenes are done in 3D gfx, experience from 3D projection of Avatar is said to be great.
There is moral and ecological message in this movie. Nice fauna, flora and neural-"internet" concept.

X

Story of Avatar itself is nothing new, it's just Pocahontas remake with cool effects, considering the budget: 3D models don't have much details (polygons), reflections and textures can be more detailed, same normals...

etc.

However primary function of Avatar is fun... and according to latest gains above $1,602,168,000 many people like this movie (not only pubescents)

--------------------------------------------
*probably equiped with some kind of antimatter engine - there are already concepts, it's not like H-bomb propulsion system, rather like most advanced ion propulsion system
NergiZed
That picture has seared my eyes and will forever haunt my nightmares.
Overdose
Mr. Bean?
NergiZed
QUOTE (Nemesis @ 18 Jan 2010, 21:51) *
Mr. Bean?

Mr.Bean as a Navi.
MARS
1) Was Jake hero or traitor?

This one's similar to the old terrorist vs. freedom fighter debate: It's all just a matter
of perspective. To the Navi, Jake would indeed be a hero but to the humans, he's a traitor.
ultimentra
I would have taken them legs and let the Navi die for the good of humanity as per partyzans story predicts. However, this is assuming that this is for the good and survival of the human race as a whole though, and the story tells us to assume that we as humans didn't necessarily NEED unobtanium that we (humanity as a whole) just wanted it to make money from corporate gains. You also have to take into account jakes reasoning, he fell in love with the Navi chick that he knocked up, and I don't know if we have any hopeless romantics here, but love sure does make people do some crazy shit.
beefJeRKy
Was it mentioned that the humans actually NEEDED unobtainium in the beginning? I missed the first five minutes of the movie so I don't remember them talking about it in any matter other than gold or some valuable mineral.
ultimentra
It wasn't mentioned in the movie that the humans absolutely needed it, the movie suggested that the humans were after unobtanium to make money.

"Why are we here? Only one reason, this is unobtanium. Its worth 10k per kilo" or something along those lines was said by the company CEO guy.
beefJeRKy
Yeah I got that. So the antagonists were basically greedy macrocapitalists tongue.gif
partyzanPaulZy
Well that's question, but I think I saw it in some official materials... also I haven't mentioned that chick and Jake's handicap.
Revan
Which is why quite a few American critics critisise the film, because it makes their precious macrocapitalists look all bad.
partyzanPaulZy
well, the previous post belonged to that "was unobtanium so important?" question,
but you've got the point in that macrocapitalism thing...
look what happens in Africa (Congo, Zair, etc.) or Latin America... natives are dying because of some ore with tantal...
Medve
I absolutely loved the movie. It was centered on immersion and hell, never saw anything doing it better. It's really hard not to get sucked in to it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.