Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MST3K
SWR Productions Forum > Community > The Box
Cobretti
Back in the late 1980's some geniuses came up with the idea of making a TV show that centered around showing terrabad B-movies and making snarky comments while the film played. This show was called Mystery Science Theater 3000 (or MST3K for short) and it was one of the greatest inventions of mankind. It ran for about a decade before being canned and today the same guys have their own spinoff known as Rifftrax. Anyways, here are some of the best MST3K episodes. Most of the lines are, IMNSHO, meme-worthy.

Mitchell: A cop movie starring Joe Don Baker as a slovenly, out of shape, buffoonish detective. Featuring the lamest car chase ever! The best part of the MST3K has to be the "Mitchell song" that the crew come up with when Mitchell is escaping from the villain. "Mitchell! Mitchell! Your eye's on the sammich! Mitchell! Heart's poundin'! Mitchell! Arteries cloggin'! Wakajawakawakajawaka..." laugh.gif

My personal favorite, Space Mutiny: In a time at some point way in the future, there are literally many people living in a large basement warehouse - I'm sorry, I mean a large spaceship, clearly a spaceship, what with all the storage area and forklifts and security guards sitting around at massive metal desks, the kinds of things one expects to find in a spaceship, and not at all in a basement warehouse or other planet-bound industrial facility -- just kind of drifting around the galaxy, apparently having fled some sort of awkward situation on Earth; maybe they'll settle down on a planet someday, who knows, what the hey.

This placid bunch is ruled by a bearded Cameron Mitchell and his elderly daughter in hot pants (the pants being the hot item in this case, and not what they envelop), and all seems well until the movie starts, when the security forces in this warehouse (spaceship!! Darn!) come to their senses and plan a mutiny to force Captain Santa to land anywhere.

The bad guys are foiled when the thickly-muscled Rider, a free-lance jock/pilot, bullies his way to the top in this goofy world, simply because he and no one else has any command or leadership qualities. There is fighting; there are guys falling over railings; there are some real skinny dancing girls (the kind you would in fact expect to find dancing in a warehouse space), and after we get to see Rider and The World's Oldest Daughter rolling on the concrete floor of this spaceship, the mutiny is put down.

Another so-horrible-its funny film, Hobgoblins: The vast, deserted movie lot of a once-prominent Hollywood film studio is home to a vicious group of furry, grinning, toothy little aliens who read their victims' minds and kill them by making their dreams come true. But I've got this week's show to talk about, so I'll get back to that situation later.

I'm kidding, of course. That IS the story of Hobgoblins. There's a lot more, too. Why, there's a nerd who's really into phone sex; a mean guy with a van who delights in beating up his friends; a wiry slut with a perpetual sneer and her uptight never-been-blanked friend; an old janitor, a bad nightclub emcee, and a hairy bouncer, and all this disparate crew are united by two very important things: they can't act and I don't care about them. Neither will you, once you've seen this movie.

Oh, I forgot, there's our requisite hero who doesn't do anything. Other than that I can't remember anything about him.
Just so this summary does its job, here's the basic outline: These hobgoblins escape the studio, follow a rookie security guard home, and all his friends are nearly killed by their perverted fantasies. Following a long scene at a "strip" club that simply does not fulfill its stated premise, the hobgoblins somehow get back to the studio (I honestly forget how and I refuse to go look) where a crotchety older security guard who's been keeping them trapped for decades saves the day by blowing them up.
Which, of course, begs the question as to why he didn't do that a long time ago, but you won't have enough energy to ask that question, believe me.

Must see-it to believe it. The Final Sacrifice:This film gives us insight into the banality of banality and would have us believe that murderous cults are a bad thing. Zap Rowsdower is a guy who was in a cult of Canadian wrestlers known as the Ziox, then he either dropped out or got kicked out -- hang on, I gotta go check with Paul Chaplin about the plot of this film.

Sorry, I'm back, he didn't know much about this movie either.

Anyway, Zap Rowsdower befriends Troy, whose father was killed by Zap when Zap was in the cult. Zap took a leave of absence from the cult and does battle with the boss of the cult, a weird guy in a trenchcoat named Sartoris, because he wants Zap back in the cult.

Just a sec, I'm gonna go check with Mike Nelson, ask him if he remembers anything about this film... thanks for waiting. Mike was not sure, but was mostly upset about how women were portrayed in the film.

So anyways, the Ziox want to find their lost city, and thus rule the world. Or something like that.

Troy is understandably miffed when he learns that Zap is the guy who is responsible for his father's death. But Zap has turned out to be a good friend, albeit with hockey hair, so what is Troy to do? Somehow at the end, the two become fast friends.

(Btw...how do you embed Google vids?)
NergiZed
SPACE MUNTINY!

That is undoubtibly my fav!

BOLT VANDERHUGE! THICK MCRUNFAST! BIG MCLARGEHUGE! STRONG MCBUFF! BEEF IRONSLAB! etc..
Cobretti
Maybe we should move this to the videos section of the forum...

Oh yea, and here's another of my favorites: Deathstalker and the Warriors From Hell. An '80s Grade Z made-in-Mexico "Conan The Barbarian" ripoff that's far more entertaining than you might guess. "Deathstalker" is not "so bad it's good" - it's so bad it's GREAT. This super low budget sword and sorcery - uh - "epic" features an bony, annoying little sucker as the main character Deathstalker and a completely incomprehensible plot. Deathstalker's friend, the wizard Nicius, or as they call him in the movie, Nssissss, paws at suspected princess Carissa, who carries a magic stone. The three of them meet at a Renaissance Festival somewhere in Mexico, and are attacked by an army led by a guy in a bat helmet. I couldn't make this up if I was tripping. The main villain is a balding, unintimidating wizard with a penchant for flamboyant outfits and who has a bad case of the Shatners. It's like watching a train wreck- horrible, but you can't turn your eyes away. Top quality riffing in this one- the opening and ending credits will make you roll on the floor laughing uncontrollably.
Cobretti
This one is generally considered the worst movie on MST3K and is considered by many to be the worst movie of all time. Let that sink in for a moment. Manos: The Hands of Fate is the oh-so imaginatively titled brainchild of Harold P. Warren, a fertilizer salesman from El Paso, Texas. (The guy certainly knew a lot about handling and selling shit!) Manos: The Hands of Fate is considered by the makers of MST3K to be "far and away the most loathsome, repulsive, unpleasantest, vilest, ickyest, blechiest" movie they ever had to watch. Indeed, this is one of those rare films in which EVERY aspect is poorly done: plot, dialogue, acting, lighting, directing, sets, costumes, make-up, everything. With most bad movies, at least you can tell professionals were making it. I'll tell you who should see this movie without the "MST3K" hecklings: film students. They need to see what evil can be unleashed when they are careless, lazy, or on cocaine. Just as Citizen Kane is a textbook example of how to make a quality film, Manos: The Hands of Fate is exemplary in showing us, step-by-step, how to make a bad one.

The plot is as follows: Michael (Hal Warren, also director/producer/etc.) and Margaret are going for a weekend trip with their little girl, Debbie, when a wrong turn takes them to a weird little lodge in the middle of the desert. It's run by The Master, with the assistance of Torgo, a dim, lubricious, other-worldly man who immediately starts hitting on Margaret and creeping everyone out. What is The Master the master of, you ask? Good question. We know he has a bevy of semi-dead wives out in the backyard, and that they do weird cult stuff and summon "Manos," whoever that may be. We also know The Master is not a very good boss, occasionally abusing Torgo and at one point pulling his hand off and burning it.

MST #424, then, is a landmark episode. Not only do Joel and the 'Bots show serious signs of breaking under the pressure, but Forrester and Frank actually apologize for sending such a bad movie!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.