Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rise of the Reds Update: Strategic Air Assets
SWR Productions Forum > SWR Projects > Rise of the Reds > Frontline News
Pages: 1, 2
MARS
On top of all the new additions and technical changes, the upcoming version 1.72 will also include a number of visual updates, especially to many of the rather dated-looking aircraft used for various General Powers.

Heavily based on the Soviet-Russian Antonov An-12, the Shaanxi Y-8 remains in service as the PLA's standard cargo plane

The Xian H-6 is used for the Napalm Inferno General Power and has received a nice visual update as well

From now on, this heavy strategic bomber will be used to deploy the EMP Bomb and ECM Burst General Powers

The American C-130 Hercules transport plane has also received a much-needed facelift

This heavy cargo plane will be used to air-drop vehicles as well as supplies upon purchase of the Supply Lines upgrade

Mcbob
Marvelous face-lifts. Excellent work.
Nonchalant General
Excellent new visual improvements, would there be similar update for the Russian or GLA support power planes?
Mcbob
QUOTE (Nonchalant General @ 13 Aug 2012, 7:25) *
Excellent new visual improvements, would there be similar update for the Russian or GLA support power planes?

The Russian aircraft are already new models compared to the rest of the pack though.
MARS
That is correct. Right now, there isn't much of a reason to improve the Russian GP planes. These however had been unchanged since the original Generals in some cases.
As for the GLA, there will - at some point - also be some slight changes to their support aircraft to make them look a bit more interesting.
wb21
Love that C-17. While the H-8's outer engines are somewhat widely spaced, nice job on the GP planes. wink.gif
Keeping an eye out on for GLA's chunky B-29 frankenplane replacement. tongue.gif
Anubis
Nice visuals updates, although the C130 is still boxy as it was in vanila zh. And since this was a visual update, any chance in 1.72 usa will get improved surveillance, since atm out of all the nations it has the worst one ( basicly it has to unlock every surveillance stuff unlike all the other sides that come with many standard stuff ) ?
Claine
All i can say is AMAZING!!!!!!!! crush8.gif
MARS
QUOTE (Anubis @ 13 Aug 2012, 8:37) *
Nice visuals updates, although the C130 is still boxy as it was in vanila zh. And since this was a visual update, any chance in 1.72 usa will get improved surveillance, since atm out of all the nations it has the worst one ( basicly it has to unlock every surveillance stuff unlike all the other sides that come with many standard stuff ) ?

There won't be any such changes in 1.72, but we are planning on radically changing the functionality of the CIA Intelligence power.
The thing that I can already reveal is that it will no longer be a General Power, but available as part of the advanced American tech tree.
RocketMan
I just looked at the pic here, and noticed some prisoners walking around the detention center yard. Is this purely cosmetic, or maybe can we expect something new from the DC?

Also, I wanted to re-ask something:
will there be any, more drastic changes to the Nuke Cannon? AFAIK see you've made them more useful as a defensive artillery with the free fire mode than a siege weapon (where they were lacking even in vZH AFAIK tell), and I'm quite curious if there are any plans to make them more useful in that second role.
The_Hunter
nuke cannons are allready drasticly more powerfull than they originaly were intended to be.
So no no futher changes.

Also yes there are prisoners in the Detention Camp but they are purely eye candy.
General Tatarin
Beautiful update. Just can't remember, are SEAL's stealth units or not?
MARS
SEALs do not have stealth abilities, as they would be a tad too powerful otherwise.
Knjaz.
Spammy China is Spammy.

Btw, guys. Why there's almost always so much infantry on Chinese side, on your screens.

Is it to add to Chinese image, or they're indeed cost effective to use, when compared to "standard" Battlemaster/Inferno horde with addition of few gattlings?

Cost effective in multiplayer, I mean.
The_Hunter
Volunteer squads are defenetly the best cannon fodder unit ingame and can be produced very rapidly wink.gif
MARS
QUOTE (Knjaz. @ 13 Aug 2012, 13:35) *
Spammy China is Spammy.

Btw, guys. Why there's almost always so much infantry on Chinese side, on your screens.

Is it to add to Chinese image, or they're indeed cost effective to use, when compared to "standard" Battlemaster/Inferno horde with addition of few gattlings?

Cost effective in multiplayer, I mean.

Bits of both, I'd say. Sure, it kinda adds to China's somewhat dated depiction in Gens which seems to drive some Chinese fans up the walls - even though those mass charges are simply awesome to look at - but these Squads are also quite powerful when used properly. They certainly chew up infantry and buildings real good and fare remotely well against vehicles, if supported correctly. Should also be fun to use against human opponents as a mass of Volunteers is relatively easy to produce and it always creates a rather impressive psychological effect.
Warpath
Nice update, the plane reskins are cool but will the GTA B-29 and the US B-52 get any reskins?
MARS
The GLA plane may get some kind of touch-up later on, but the B52 doesn't really need one. It already uses a more detailed model than in Gens/ZH.
Shock
Many of the planes of the existing factions already had remodels in Shockwave, and if they are needed they will probably be included/are already included in ROTR.
NergiZed
QUOTE (MARS @ 13 Aug 2012, 0:32) *
That is correct. Right now, there isn't much of a reason to improve the Russian GP planes. These however had been unchanged since the original Generals in some cases.
As for the GLA, there will - at some point - also be some slight changes to their support aircraft to make them look a bit more interesting.

Yeah, it would be fantastic if the GLA plane could be switched out with some hilariously tough yet incredibly wide-spread commercial air-liner, like the 737 or something.
__CrUsHeR
These planes were very well made, they are part of the minimums details that make a big difference in the final product.

A less updating for the relasing of 1.72!
SpiralSpectre
Love the update. It's really good to see these much needed and anticipated reskins. Another big cheers for your highly professional work, making sure every detail look excellent.
johnnyxp64
mellow.gif
huh.gif
ohmy.gif
rolleyes.gif
wub.gif
ed3891
Thank goodness y'all went ahead with these model updates. Spectacular work, as always.
SpiralSpectre
Can we expect some screenshots of the other new additions (like a couple of Hunchbacks strafling buildings with their thermobaric bombs) in the coming updates?
MARS
We will of course present additional screenshots whenever possible but right now, it's actually safe to say that you probably won't need additional screenshots for the Hunchbacks as you will be able to try them yourself soon enough.
Like I said the other day: The number of updates until the release of 1.72 can be counted on one hand and that was before this one.
Panzer4life
Alright Mars, I predict 3 more updates until ROTR 7.2 is released. My logic, you have yet to show the GLA terror General (1), you have yet to reveal the Russian tactical ballistics general (2) and of course you have the release update(3). This would put the release sometime in the first week of September if you continue with the weekly updates. Am I close with this prediction?
SpiralSpectre
QUOTE (Panzer4life @ 15 Aug 2012, 20:22) *
Alright Mars, I predict 3 more updates until ROTR 7.2 is released. My logic, you have yet to show the GLA terror General (1), you have yet to reveal the Russian tactical ballistics general (2) and of course you have the release update(3). This would put the release sometime in the first week of September if you continue with the weekly updates. Am I close with this prediction?

You no like Alek? sad.gif
MARS
QUOTE (Panzer4life @ 15 Aug 2012, 16:22) *

The pattern is correct, the content is not; although the second update will indeed focus on Russia.
SpiralSpectre
QUOTE (MARS @ 15 Aug 2012, 21:01) *
The pattern is correct, the content is not; although the second update will indeed focus on Russia.

The second update will indeed focus on Russia... so the next update won't focus on Russia? Wonder how ModDB is gonna take it. There seems to be a pro Russia wave there lately. Interesting as the Russia love seems to be a bit low in this forums compared to some of the other factions.
Warpath
So there's only 2 more updates before the release update, right?
Jester
QUOTE (SpiralSpectre @ 15 Aug 2012, 16:42) *
The second update will indeed focus on Russia... so the next update won't focus on Russia? Wonder how ModDB is gonna take it. There seems to be a pro Russia wave there lately. Interesting as the Russia love seems to be a bit low in this forums compared to some of the other factions.

I learned just to ignore Moddb...most people there are just plain ignorant and feel the need to spam the page constantly. In this community I would think that more people are leaning towards the ECA ATM as not much has been revealed about them yet and there still remains alot of unknown features that have been spoken about but not shown as of yet. Still I guess this changes with every update as more and more interesting units are being unveiled smile.gif
__CrUsHeR
I myself do not ask much about Russia because I think what I have seen satisfactory so far on the faction, the base solid it makes me safe in saying that everything is well underway and so far I can say about the GLA, I was suspicious of the U.S. and China, these factions do not receive the attention it deserves but upgrades like this last definitely convinced me of the contrary, I'm calm, just wait because the end result will be satisfactory, everything will be in place at the right time, but obviously there is still great expectations upon each updating and when it is presented the next updating of Russia surely I'll say to myself, wow! They even surprised me ...
The_Hunter
Don't worry we have plenty of tricks up our sleeve I8.gif
__CrUsHeR
QUOTE (The_Hunter @ 16 Aug 2012, 1:11) *

After the naval units and animations tesla I do not doubt any more.

I still find hard to believe that the next update will be more than 120 maps, new units with voice clips, and many other cool things, but coming from you guys I can not doubt any more, if I say that the ECA is ready and will be released this next version I think! happy.gif
SpiralSpectre
I am really looking forward to the recorded voices.
QUOTE (__CrUsHeR @ 16 Aug 2012, 5:03) *
I myself do not ask much about Russia because I think what I have seen satisfactory so far on the faction, the base solid it makes me safe in saying that everything is well underway and so far I can say about the GLA, I was suspicious of the U.S. and China, these factions do not receive the attention it deserves but upgrades like this last definitely convinced me of the contrary,

I can agree with this. smile.gif
Panzer4life
Spiral Spectre, while I do like the idea of Alexsander, he has already information released about him, in the form of MTG. He doesn't need 2.
SpiralSpectre
QUOTE (Panzer4life @ 16 Aug 2012, 18:38) *
Spiral Spectre, while I do like the idea of Alexsander, he has already information released about him, in the form of MTG. He doesn't need 2.

I was talking about his updated MTG... same as Red Army and Bio Command gen.
MARS
Indeed, Aleksandr (and by extension also Zhukov and the other ECA generals) will receive an updated MTG just like Thorn, Chen, Ibrahiim and Orlov. Basically, you can consider all the 'old' MTGs from the Fallout era as obsolete in regards to both format and content. Much of their descriptions were little more than elaborate ways of saying 'this guy is totally awesome because he's good at X' whereas the new ones actually contain solid facts about their personalities, previous adventures and present situation. Those of you interested in the story may also enjoy the fact that we're going to post an official timeline thread after the first ECA updates, which'll basically be a bit like the update archive, but with an emphasis on story events in chronological order, ranging from the 1980s all the way across Gens/ZH (with what little solid information there was presented in a more contextualised fashion) to the Russo-European War.
Panzer4life
I thought that Alexsander received an updated version of MTG. But I still look forward to Zhukov, I want to learn more about the man behind Russia's Topol-m and other ballistic weapon systems. However, what will the next update contain, can you give a hint for us old guard ROTR fans?
MARS
Orlov is actually the only Russian general who received an updated MTG so far, not Aleks. As for Zhukov, you'll get an updated MTG for him as well further down the road; he's going to be a bit of a tragic figure.
__CrUsHeR
This is awesome news, knowing that you are devoting a lot in the story behind the game that increases the fun factor and makes the player really feel part of the game, not just play with the new factions and units and using strategies fun if you do not understand the context in which all this exists in the universe of the game, besides one of the most engaging story makes the player take in consideration other elements of own behind the game (story in itself) to make their choices according to their preferences, this may be the main essence of successful games and today it is increasingly rare to be see (consider the example of the Generals 2 who became a generic game similar to several other games to generate profits for its producer).
SpiralSpectre
QUOTE (MARS @ 16 Aug 2012, 21:33) *
Orlov is actually the only Russian general who received an updated MTG so far, not Aleks. As for Zhukov, you'll get an updated MTG for him as well further down the road; he's going to be a bit of a tragic figure.

Zhukov a tragic figure? That sounds interesting.

BTW as far as I remember from reading really old updates on ModDB, he was celebrating his 61st birthday when Berlin was burning by the Russian invasion. Is that part still canon?

Maybe we could use a "official lore discussion thread" or something.
MARS
I think it was his 63rd birthday. While some of the plot elements of that time can be considered obsolete/subject to change, that particular detail can remain canon for all I care. He'd be born in the early 1980s then, making him the oldest active General next to Charles.
General Tatarin
QUOTE (MARS @ 16 Aug 2012, 18:09) *
Indeed, Aleksandr (and by extension also Zhukov and the other ECA generals) will receive an updated MTG just like Thorn, Chen, Ibrahiim and Orlov. Basically, you can consider all the 'old' MTGs from the Fallout era as obsolete in regards to both format and content. Much of their descriptions were little more than elaborate ways of saying 'this guy is totally awesome because he's good at X' whereas the new ones actually contain solid facts about their personalities, previous adventures and present situation. Those of you interested in the story may also enjoy the fact that we're going to post an official timeline thread after the first ECA updates, which'll basically be a bit like the update archive, but with an emphasis on story events in chronological order, ranging from the 1980s all the way across Gens/ZH (with what little solid information there was presented in a more contextualised fashion) to the Russo-European War.

Playing RotR with story such this, is equal to amazing gameplay. 8Isov.gif
teamnicke
He (Zhukov) is´n a decendent of the REAL Marshall Georgi Zhukov???
MARS
Nope, we're not intending him to be a relative. It's just a stylistic thing that they're identical in both name and looks.
Pickysaurus
QUOTE (The_Hunter @ 16 Aug 2012, 0:11) *

Oh Hunter, you dog! pimp_smile.gif
teamnicke
Can`t wait for the profile on Zhukov and the Topol-M.
Comr4de
QUOTE (teamnicke @ 18 Aug 2012, 12:19) *
Can`t wait for the profile on Zhukov and the Topol-M.

Can't wait to see the look on your faces when you realize thats not just the cool thing he gets mindfuck.gif

You have to understand, we are just as eager to show you guys as you are eager to see what we've made. It's what makes this job fun aw.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.