Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rise of the Reds Update: End Game
SWR Productions Forum > SWR Projects > Rise of the Reds > Frontline News
Pages: 1, 2
MARS
Ramsgate, United Kingdom
8 September 2047, 07:25

"Forward, comrades, we must cleanse this foul country! General Aleksandr protects us!", Storm Squad Leader Viktor Grigoryev, a former convict otherwise known as the 'Beast of Bryansk', encouraged the men around him. His original unit had long been blasted to pieces at the waterfront, but the internal structure of the Shock Divisions was highly fluid and organic: Whenever one leader died or a unit broke ranks, the Troopers would swiftly rally around whichever one of them was the most aggressive and continue to press onwards. Despite tremendous casualties, the defenders had been overwhelmed. Now the Troopers fanned out into the city, spraying all doorways, alleys and windows with a few lightning bolts from their Handheld Tesla Devices for good measure. Suddenly, the group once again came under fire from a dug-in position at the market square, where Sergeant Finley and a few hundred other British soldiers had gathered to make their last stand.

"Private Mitchell!", Finley yelled through the constant noise of gunfire and battle cries. "Leave the wounded! We need everyone fighting here and now!" Meryl initially refused as she was busy patching up yet another injured comrade. "I-I-I can't! I'm a medic, I'm here to help people, not..." Finley interrupted her: "Have you SEEN these guys, Meryl? I don't think they'll GIVE a fuck! Now grab a weapon and follow me, that's a god-damned order!" Meryl sighed in resignation while she picked up an assault rifle and joined the soldiers on the firing line. Despite having gone through the same training as everyone else, it was clearly visible that she was still uncomfortable with the process. She rested the weapon against her shoulder, took aim at the frenzied mass of armour-clad Russians that charged towards the market square - and fired. One of them took an entire burst in the guts and dropped to the ground, only to wrestle himself back up and crawl forward to retrieve his rifle, his pain numbed by sheer blood-crazed fanaticism. Reluctantly, Meryl aimed again, this time at the face of the Trooper which had been rendered inhuman by the massive combat helmet and gas mask. The second burst put an end to his fight while Meryl suppressed the sudden urge to throw up and fought on, quickly losing count of how many men she killed.

After a while, the panicked phrase "Last mag!" sounded through the British line more and more often and the rifle fire became sporadic. The Shock Troopers had been visibly decimated, but those that remained kept moving forward, having passed the edge of insanity long ago. Sergeant Finley knew that this fight was going to end soon and issued an unusual series of orders: "Fix bayonets......Remove scabbards......At guard!" This was it; the final straw. Mechanically, the soldiers went through the motions until the ultimate command was given: "CHARGE!"

"Set capacitors to full power!", Grigoryev ordered "It's frying time!" For a moment, the sight of European soldiers, these supposedly spoiled cowards raised by a weak society, charging at him while screaming at the top of their lungs, sent a slight shiver down his spine, but the brief glimpse of fearful humanity remained invisibly contained within the confines of his battle suit. The Brits kept pushing forward with Sergeant Finley at the tip of their final, desperate assault. The Storm Squad Leader found the very notion of a wimpy little woman like Meryl taking on the elite of the Russian military to be preposterous to the extreme and turned his Tesla weapon to maximum where one discharge would surely be enough to reduce her to a speck of greasy ashes on the pavement.

But then, seemingly out of nowhere, a hail of deadly flechettes ripped into the flank of his unit, cutting down dozens of men in a single bloody sweep. Grigoryev was surprised and looked to his left, only to get crushed by a Challenger tank that swung out of the side street at full speed. The steel monstrosity manoeuvred into position to shield its charging comrades while the remaining Shock Troopers broke ranks and 'relocated' towards the shore. The British soldiers took cover behind the vehicle and Sergeant Finley reached for the externally mounted tank-infantry telephone: "This is Colonel David Catt of the Royal Lancers. Sorry for the delay, but we were held up by Russian paratroopers out in the countryside. General Cutting sent us to bust you lads out!" Finley was relieved: "Tis bloody good to see you, Sir. How's the situation at the other beaches?" "The flyboys are tearing up what's left of the Third Shock in Kingsdown. We've suffered some breakthroughs along the main coastline, but they'll probably see reason by the time they realise that there won't be any heavy reinforcements coming from the ports. Now tell your lads to grab some mags from our storage. We have to chase these tossers back to the sea where the Navy can wipe them out for good!"

Meanwhile, the Shock Troopers were dug in at the docks where their Golem tanks had taken up position to oversee the landing of additional hovercraft transports. "There they are, get 'em! Death or glory, boys!", the Colonel sounded through the loudspeakers. Within minutes, all local elements of the British Army including the twelve tanks of the Lancer squadron funnelled into the counter-attack. The Challengers hammered their depleted uranium rounds into the Golems at point-blank range while the infantry opened up on the Shock Troopers. The Golems brought their sluggish guns to bear and returned fire but the odds were clearly stacked against them.

"Come on, lads! We can't screw this up now!", the Colonel proceeded to fire up the troops. Suddenly, a screaming barrage of missiles rained down like a divine intervention, annihilating the entirety of the Russian beachhead in a blazing inferno. The fog had lifted and from the north, the HMS Thunderchild, a Royal Navy battlecruiser of the latest generation moved into sight, accompanied by an entire armada of allied vessels. The deafening roar of her launch tubes sounded across the entire bay as the ship unleashed another hail of missiles, this time aimed at the remaining Russian ships on the horizon. Soon, the frantic battle of Ramsgate came to a close and the last fighting Shock Troopers met their fate via hot lead and cold steel.

"We've done it...It's over", Sergeant Finley aptly summarised the situation as he approached Private Mitchell, who was standing alone by the shore, covered in soot, blood and dirt. But the young medic remained quiet while trying to fight against the tears that were gathering in her eyes. "Matthew's gonna lose his leg", she stammered vacantly. "Derek's dead and God knows how many others." The Sergeant sighed. He knew that he wasn't good at this kind of talk: "It's part of our job. They knew it, I know it and so do you. But it wasn't all in vain. We've saved our country from invasion. This may very well be a turning point in the course of the entire war." Meryl sobbed. She didn't buy it. Right now, she didn't need any of that patriotic military bravado about how the end justifies the means and that there was light at the end of the tunnel. And so she just stood there, silent, watching as the seagulls proceeded to peck at the hundreds upon hundreds of shattered bodies that littered the seaside promenade. A broken husk of what used to be a cheerful individual; another one among thousands of casualties on this grey morning at the coast of England.

A true classic of British aviation, the Harrier jumpjet was retired from service by the MoD in the early 21st century. Unfortunately, its intended replacement, the American F-35 Lightning, would not enter service for many years to come due to a number of safety issues and overflowing costs. Whilst the United States went on and shifted their focus to a more economical multirole version of the F-22 Raptor, many international partners of the Joint Strike Fighter programme, including the Netherlands, Italy and the United Kingdom opted out and were left with no adequate aircraft to fill the niche. Meanwhile, large parts of the Harrier fleet were sold off to the Armada EspaƱola. Ever since the creation of the European Continental Army, Spanish carrier ships formed a large portion of the task force's naval branch and provided reliable close air support with their Harriers during ECA combat operations in North Africa. It was at this time when General Cutting of the British expeditionary force worked in close coordination with Admiral Pablo Garcia during the attack on Casablanca. Ten years later, in the most desperate phase of the Russo-European War, Charles once again called upon the help of his Spanish friend, successfully repelling General Aleksandr's ill-conceived invasion of England in one of the war's bloodiest, most decisive battles. In combat, the Harrier is a deadly tank hunter thanks to its powerful Brimstone missiles that also engages both airborne and ground-based targets with a pair of 25mm cannons. Beyond that, its VTOL capabilities ensure a high level of mobility and allow the plane to fly idle in tight circles, making it less prone to sudden anti-air ambushes.

With most of the continental airbases destroyed in the initial strategic bombing campaign launched by the Russian Federation, fixed-wing aircraft such as the Eurofighter Typhoon, a 4.5 generation jet fighter that was first conceived in the mid-1980s, have become a rare commodity for the ECA. Most of the remaining planes now operate from converted motorways as well as distant, still intact bases in Britain, Ireland, Spain or Portugal and can only be called upon under unique circumstances. ECA commanders with the necessary clearance can call in irritating tear gas and cluster strikes that can saturate large areas thanks to the use of a unique munitions dispenser pod mounted underneath the aircraft. However due to equipment shortages, Eurofighters that operate from a civilian airstrip have to make do with ordinary free-fall bombs for their strike missions.

After the United States had abandoned their military bases in Europe and put an abrupt end to eight decades of NATO history, the nations of Europe had to restructure their forces from the ground up in order to fill the gap left by their former allies who were now minding their own business on the other side of the Atlantic. The ECA military planners realised that Europe would need its own strategic bombing capabilities in order to play in the same league as the other global superpowers. Showing a sound degree of foresight, the planners decided that the most suitable country to house and operate the assets would be the United Kingdom, which has been regarded as an 'unsinkable aircraft carrier' since the dawn of military aviation. As a result, Bomber Command made a reappearance as a distinct entity within the RAF command structure and a conglomerate of British and European defence contractors provided the necessary aircraft in the form of the Vulcan B.3 bomber. Thanks to its powerful engines, the Vulcan has a very short response time for a bomber of its size. Its armaments include an extremely precise Smart Bomb - comically dubbed the '16-ton-weight' by Vulcan crews - and the Grand Slam, a massive free-falling gravity bomb with enough explosive force to create short, localised seismic events that sever power lines and break vehicle suspensions, leaving them paralysed for lengthy periods of time.

The SWR team wants to thank you for voting Rise of the Reds into the ModDB Mod of the Year Top 100. Your loyalty throughout the many years, some of great activity, some of painful silence, will soon be rewarded with the release of version 1.8. Until then, stay tuned for more updates.

Dangerman
Awesome update, finally it seems the Europeans have had their first major breakthrough in halting the russians rather than going on the retreat from the looks of it. Also do I see a War of the Worlds reference with the Thunderchild?
MARS
QUOTE (dangerman1337 @ 12 Dec 2012, 21:32) *
Also do I see a War of the Worlds reference with the Thunderchild?

Indeed you do.
Spejjarn
QUOTE (MARS @ 12 Dec 2012, 21:24) *
1) In combat, the Harrier is a deadly tank hunter thanks to its powerful Brimstone missiles that also engages both airborne and ground-based targets with a pair of 25mm cannons.

2) ECA commanders with the necessary clearance can call in irritating tear gas and cluster strikes that can saturate large areas thanks to the use of a unique munitions dispenser pod mounted underneath the aircraft. However due to equipment shortages, Eurofighters that operate from a civilian airstrip have to make do with ordinary free-fall bombs for their strike missions.

3) Its armaments include an extremely precise Smart Bomb - comically dubbed the '16-ton-weight' by Vulcan crews - and the Grand Slam, a massive free-falling gravity bomb with enough explosive force to create short, localised seismic events that sever power lines and break vehicle suspensions, leaving them paralysed for lengthy periods of time.

1) Does it mean that the Goshawk is out/has changed role?

2) I guess this is a three-step gen power and that the 1st step has ordinary munition and that the 3rd step has the cluster pod. Am I right?

3) Are they two different gen. powers then? Since I suppose Bomber Command wouldn't waste a high-cost smart bomb if the target and its surroundings would be totally obliterated by the dear old Grand Slam.
DELETED MEMBER
Interesting, so the Harrier through made in UK is spanish piloted, hope they dont crash tongue.gif

so there are two gen powers with eurofighters doing a run then?
Dangerman
I'm guessing the difference between the Goshawk and the Harrier is:

Goshawk - For taking out clusters of units.

Harrier - Taking out single, heavier, more armored targets or Infantry efficently. Edit - Also some airborne targets (such as the rusting junk that makes up the GLA airforce).
__CrUsHeR
Another epic battle on the coast of England, reading about Shocktroopers they remind me of Tolkien's Orcs. mindfuck.gif

The skins of the fighters are very beautiful, and the Harrier being piloted by the Spanish was a big surprise.

I'm curious to know how the Vulcan's bomb will work in the game.
RocketMan
The SWR team wants to thank you for voting Rise of the Reds into the ModDB Mod of the Year Top 100. Your loyalty throughout the many years, some of great activity, some of painful silence, will soon be rewarded with the release of version 1.8. Until then, stay tuned for more updates.

Guys, I believe that really there is no true need to thank us. The truth is that IMHO you truly achieved a form of mastery when it comes to modding Generals. The quality of Shw and RotR is IMHO almost, if not equal to a professionally made game, even if RotR is still in its beta stages. The amount of work, time spent on it, and the fact that it's still being worked on, after so many years speak very much for themselves, and if I'm to be honest I truly believe that you guys have a lot of potential to try to create you own game. I wish you luck and persistence in the future, that we could see games made with devotion and persistence equal to that which keeps you guys making this mod beer1.gif
Mcbob
The insignia on the tail of the Harrier, is that Spanish? It looks similar to the Spanish Navy's but slightly different.
swVen
Awesome conclusion. Thought for a second there would a be a "300"-style scene, and IIRC someone did mention a dedicated update would introduce the Pandora, was hoping for probably an epic scale artillery strike would level the Russians.
But I was not disappointed, for me, this was an "under-promise", over deliver" update!

So, the standard couple of questions:

1) How does the harrier function in comparison to Goshawk. I'm assuming these two aircraft fill separate niches?

2) The tear gas I'm assuming functions like the USA's leaflet drop? I remember there was also a mention from a ModDb member "NergiZed" that the Goshawk would also deploy "special bombs that disables vehicles by dispensing a special chemical vapors that solidify in combustion engines."
Will there be a General's power that can also drop this?

3) reviving the "Grand Slam" from World War II eh? I'm guessing the FX effect and ability will be similar to ShW's Gaia cannon?
Nemanja
Lovely update.
What actually this Eurofighter strikes do ?
Vulcan makes Earthquakes as Tigress weaponry from SW ?
And what is a Smart Bomb and how it is functioning ?
Knjaz.
ShockTroopers start to remind me about Emperor: Battle for Dune sardaukars, that "Don't take cover cause it's a sign of cowardice".

Imho, they're a bit too expendable for an elite unit. I.e., their style of fighting - it'd be just impossible to train enough of those if they're being thrown out like that.

As for the rest, great ending. I guess, poorly planned landing operation is poorly planned indeed biggrin.gif
BlitzGeneral
How does the Harrier fare in air-air attacks, and how is it different to the Goshawk? I hope they're both going to be useful--without being offensive it feels strange to see such an advanced plane right next to what's almost a museum piece by now.
DELETED MEMBER
QUOTE (Mcbob @ 12 Dec 2012, 23:16) *
The insignia on the tail of the Harrier, is that Spanish? It looks similar to the Spanish Navy's but slightly different.

Is Charles insignia
ArsenalXA4
QUOTE (BlitzGeneral @ 12 Dec 2012, 17:17) *
How does the Harrier fare in air-air attacks, and how is it different to the Goshawk? I hope they're both going to be useful--without being offensive it feels strange to see such an advanced plane right next to what's almost a museum piece by now.

Speaking of museum pieces, how about the American Cobra gunship? First time those saw action was in Vietnam. And don't get me started on the B-52. Just saying.

Any who, these updates make me want to play the ECA even more now.
Vintorez
QUOTE (ArsenalXA4 @ 12 Dec 2012, 17:47) *
Speaking of museum pieces, how about the American Cobra gunship? First time those saw action was in Vietnam.

The Bell AH-1 is still in active use by the US Marines:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_AH-1_SuperCobra

You're probably thinking of the original US Army Bell AH-1 Cobra, but the "Cobra" in the game is the more modern Marine Corps version.

QUOTE (Joakim @ 12 Dec 2012, 15:05) *
1) Does it mean that the Goshawk is out/has changed role?

If I recall correctly, the Goshawk is a General Charles-only aircraft, while the Harrier is used by all ECA generals. I'm not sure if the Goshawk replaces the Harrier for Charles, or if it's a separate unique unit.
Mcbob
QUOTE (Kirasama @ 13 Dec 2012, 0:27) *
Is Charles insignia

Ah whoops. Completely overlooked that one.
DELETED MEMBER
QUOTE (ArsenalXA4 @ 13 Dec 2012, 0:47) *
Speaking of museum pieces, how about the American Cobra gunship? First time those saw action was in Vietnam. And don't get me started on the B-52. Just saying.

to be fair, USA is still using "museum pieces" because they are better at they job than any remplacements they make, to the point than they are scarvenging oout of service aircrafts to repair the ones on service, and just because they look the same doesnt mean they are 100% the same
Vintorez
QUOTE (Kirasama @ 12 Dec 2012, 17:27) *
Is Charles insignia

I had thought the Harrier was for all ECA generals, and that Charles would get the Goshawk as either a replacement or as a separate Aircraft. Has that changed?

EDIT: Actually scratch that - I remember now that the team had said that the Goshawk was a Charles Replacement for the Tiger Gunship (which Willem and Wolfgang will have instead). So the Harrier is a Charles-only aircraft then?
Serialkillerwhale
The B-52 is in real life going to be in service post-2040.
Reality IS unrealistic.
Admiral FCS
Oh nice, battlecruisers. And these aircrafts are indeed awesome. idk, I'm running out of words to describe my joy each time I see new updates.
Diamondcutter
So all the ECA air assets are commanded by the RAF? or did ECA just say "F it!" and took RAF roundel as their own? lol

What is interesting is the source of these aircraft (Harrier and Vulcan), IIRC ECA would have to build new ones since the Vulcans were retired in the 80s and Harriers were retired by the RAF last year without a replacement. :/ Even if they can by back from the Armada they only have about 20 operating, and the Armada's also seeking a replacement for it.

So the point is, would they have visual updates since they're newly built aircrafts? lol They could use some modernizing on the avionics...
Alex1guy
Moving swiftly through the water, cannon's blazing as she came,
Sending mighty Russian warlords, crashing down in sheets of flame.
Sensing victory was nearing, thinking fortune must have smiled.
People started cheering. 'COME ON THUNDERCHILD!'"

biggrin.gif
__CrUsHeR
QUOTE (BlitzGeneral @ 12 Dec 2012, 21:17) *

Well I agree that the Harrier is a really outdated aircraft and its capabilities are limited, however the ROTR not seem to have any intent to submit only ultra modern units or even competitive in the military sphere, the goal is to show units iconic and super fun that make you have a higher affinity for their favorite faction.
Mr.Kim
Let me cleaer about Harrier, Goshawk, and Eurofighters.

1. Both are VTOL aircrafts(both are exclusive for General Charles) .

2. Harrier can attack both air and ground target.

3. Goshawk can attack only ground target.

4. Eurofighters for General power unit(try watch trailer again and check some screenshot from facebook).
Jester
Again another great update MARS. Out of curiosity what happened to the Vulcan's awesome blue paint scheme?

Also can we try and keep this thread on topic this time? Recent past updates have been full of "realism BS" which everyone knows the awnser to but still continues to bring it up.
Cobretti
Nice, so those really were EF-2000s in the trailer! BTW, the insignia on the Harrier's tail is Charles' subfaction logo.

QUOTE (ArsenalXA4 @ 12 Dec 2012, 19:47) *

QUOTE (Vintorez @ 12 Dec 2012, 19:57) *
The Bell AH-1 is still in active use by the US Marines:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_AH-1_SuperCobra

You're probably thinking of the original US Army Bell AH-1 Cobra, but the "Cobra" in the game is the more modern Marine Corps version.

I'm thinking the "Cobra" in game is supposed to represent the AH-1Z Viper a new production airframe that entered production in 2003. It's very likely they'd still be in service in the 2030s. The in game model could use a bit of a touch-up, it looks more like the older model than the AH-1Z.
Raven
Another great update biggrin.gif. Very well done guys..really like the lore and the Vulcan. I guess the Harrier would have Spanish accented voice overs in-game this time?
Panzer4life
Enjoyed the update, nice to see the ECA has a scary airforce. Something I have been wondering though, why didn't Russia simply FOAB many English cities whent he War broke out, to deny the ECA the English airfields?
SpiralSpectre
Solid update. Great to see all the neat aero gooides in one pack. So the airforce came and beat up the Shock Trooper and Golem army. Some mentions of Frogfoots being used for bombing runs or the PAK-FA going against the Brit airforce would've been interesting but that's minor. It's just that they were mentioned in the first update but didn't saw much action.

BTW how many Shock Troopers does Russia have? Is their number higher than that of the Spetsnaz? Alek practically used them like it's a Red Guard spam. Wonder how much Suvorov had to spend every year to maintain such a numbers of Shock Troopers.

But where is the Tiger gunship? All the aircraft are here except the one I was looking forward to the most! ;_;

edit:
I'm thinking the "Cobra" in game is supposed to represent the AH-1Z Viper a new production airframe that entered production in 2003. It's very likely they'd still be in service in the 2030s. The in game model could use a bit of a touch-up, it looks more like the older model than the AH-1Z.

Isn't it more likely that maybe the in-game Cobra is the same case as the Hind? The in-game Hind isn't the most recent Hind either the same way the in-game Cobra isn't the most recent Cobra either.
MARS
Okay, first, some general answers to questions that popped up repeatedly:

The Eurofighter will be used for three distinct powers:
- The air strike ability you get by capturing a tech airfield; this one just uses ordinary free-fall bombs
- A single level Rank 1 General Power that creates a directional tear gas field which causes the offensive stats of all affected units to drop through the floor
- A three level Rank 3 General Power which calls in one, two or three Eurofighters that dispense cluster bombs over the target area

The Vulcan will be used for two powers:
- Smart Bomb (Rank 3) drops a big bomb that remains on the ground as a 'mine' if it doesn't hit a target
- Grand Slam (Rank 5) drops a giant bomb that suns vehicles and structures while causing damage

The Harrier is different from the Goshawk in that its attack is missile rather than cannon-based. It's also quite effective against air units, particularly helicopters, and likely faster than the Goshawk. We've decided to make it Spanish because we originally used the RA3 Vindicator voice overs for it and it allowed us to give Spain some representation besides the Mole. Right now, we almost have as many British units as we have Germans, so we didn't want to let that opportunity slip by, hence the elaborate render description as to why they're Spanish. And we used them because Harriers are awesome, full stop. Both the Harrier and the Goshawk will be exclusive to Charles.

I've already said it in the other thread but it's been brought up here so I'll say it again: We will most likely re-model the Cobra and make it look like the lastest AH-1Z model which entered service in 2010.

QUOTE (Panzer4life @ 13 Dec 2012, 5:02) *
Enjoyed the update, nice to see the ECA has a scary airforce. Something I have been wondering though, why didn't Russia simply FOAB many English cities whent he War broke out, to deny the ECA the English airfields?

Because there's a serious difference between attacking airfields and attacking cities. You don't necessarily do the second in order to accomplish the first. The RAF was left relatively intact because it was further away from Russia than the air forces of the other ECA countries and because Russia exploited the element of surprise in the opening hours of the war. Once you've seen the ECA heavy AA, you'll understand our handwave that they probably couldn't pull off the exact same stunt a second time after the ECA realised that they're at war.

QUOTE (SpiralSpectre @ 13 Dec 2012, 5:37) *
BTW how many Shock Troopers does Russia have? Is their number higher than that of the Spetsnaz? Alek practically used them like it's a Red Guard spam. Wonder how much Suvorov had to spend every year to maintain such a numbers of Shock Troopers.

The Advanced Weapons R&D Corps has a First, Second, Third and Fourth Shock Division. A division can consist of 10.000 - 20.000 troops (typical size of a Soviet mot-rifle division was around 12.000 IIRC). All of these units were most likely trained and outfitted long before the war and the first paragraph of this update states that one of them is an ex-convict. Considering how dark these guys are, we could assume that many of them are violent criminals who got turned into 'something useful' via Aleksandr's brainwashing and social engineering. Remember that these men are just as much a 'science project' of his as his actual technologies like Golems and Tesla tech.
Knjaz.
QUOTE (MARS @ 13 Dec 2012, 7:34) *
The Advanced Weapons R&D Corps has a First, Second, Third and Fourth Shock Division. A division can consist of 10.000 - 20.000 troops (typical size of a Soviet mot-rifle division was around 12.000 IIRC). All of these units were most likely trained and outfitted long before the war and the first paragraph of this update states that one of them is an ex-convict. Considering how dark these guys are, we could assume that many of them are violent criminals who got turned into 'something useful' via Aleksandr's brainwashing and social engineering. Remember that these men are just as much a 'science project' of his as his actual technologies like Golems and Tesla tech.

A bit weird, imho. If he was using them before the same way in a frontal human wave assaults on machinegun nests without any kind of cover, there should be no Shocktroopers left by the time he reached Germany, at best.

While they're, definitely, nothing more then a valuable piece of equipment in his eyes, that's the exact reason you don't throw it out Human Wave style of attack.

Oh well, it's only my opinion, after all.
DELETED MEMBER
QUOTE (Knjaz. @ 13 Dec 2012, 7:43) *
A bit weird, imho. If he was using them before the same way in a frontal human wave assaults on machinegun nests without any kind of cover, there should be no Shocktroopers left by the time he reached Germany, at best.

While they're, definitely, nothing more then a valuable piece of equipment in his eyes, that's the exact reason you don't throw it out Human Wave style of attack.

Oh well, it's only my opinion, after all.

It was said in other update than he usually throws other units to the grind before sending the shock troopers and taking the glory, here due to the nature of a beach assault he probably cant do it and is suffering the first huge number of loses
Col._Sandfurz
Awesome update again! Please MARS, after 2.0 release, put all the storys you have written together in a .pdf and make them dowlodable!
You said that this battle was the darkest hour for them, so I guess things will get better for the ECA

The Harrier is wonderfull and I also love the Eurofighter! What a beauty!!

QUOTE (MARS @ 13 Dec 2012, 6:34) *
- A single level Rank 1 General Power that creates a directional tear gas field which causes the offensive stats of all affected units to drop through the floor

1. How the fuck are you coding this????

The Harrier is different from the Goshawk in that its attack is missile rather than cannon-based. It's also quite effective against air units, particularly helicopters, and likely faster than the Goshawk. We've decided to make it Spanish because we originally used the RA3 Vindicator voice overs for it and it allowed us to give Spain some representation besides the Mole. Right now, we almost have as many British units as we have Germans, so we didn't want to let that opportunity slip by, hence the elaborate render description as to why they're Spanish. And we used them because Harriers are awesome, full stop. Both the Harrier and the Goshawk will be exclusive to Charles.

2. So the Goshawk is the bastard child of a A-10 and a Harrier?
3. Will it still have this bomb as a second weapon?

I've already said it in the other thread but it's been brought up here so I'll say it again: We will most likely re-model the Cobra and make it look like the lastest AH-1Z model which entered service in 2010.

WIN!!!

4. And you may give the Challenger 3 Tank the same armament as the Leopard? Or is that not decided yet?
SpiralSpectre
QUOTE (Col._Sandfurz @ 13 Dec 2012, 13:42) *

Same way they coded Thrax's viral weaponry in ShW?
Mcbob
QUOTE (MARS @ 13 Dec 2012, 7:34) *
Right now, we almost have as many British units as we have Germans, so we didn't want to let that opportunity slip by, hence the elaborate render description as to why they're Spanish.

Will there be more French representation in addition to the Radar Helicopter and Felin Program introduced for the ECA later on?
MARS
QUOTE (Kirasama @ 13 Dec 2012, 8:21) *
It was said in other update than he usually throws other units to the grind before sending the shock troopers and taking the glory, here due to the nature of a beach assault he probably cant do it and is suffering the first huge number of loses

Right. Aleks resorts the human wave attack for the rank-and-file Russian Army troops - and they resent the hell out of him, as seen in Swamped - while the Shock Troopers are sent in for brief, but extremely vicious localised assaults on an enemy that has been largely exhausted by the previous attacks. In this case, it's somewhat different: He's using Army and Naval infantry to hit the beachline while the Shock Troopers land in the two towns, Kingsdown and Ramsgate, to cover the flanks and take the local port facilities to bring in heavy equipment. In other words: The battle of Britain is the first instance of Shock Troopers going in as a -first- resort and as you could see in this little mini-series, they got slaughtered in droves.

QUOTE (Col._Sandfurz @ 13 Dec 2012, 8:42) *
2. So the Goshawk is the bastard child of a A-10 and a Harrier?
3. Will it still have this bomb as a second weapon?
4. And you may give the Challenger 3 Tank the same armament as the Leopard? Or is that not decided yet?

1. A wizard did it AKA ask The_Hunter
2. Kind of.
3. What bomb? You mean that ICE-6 stuff mentioned for the Goshawk a whole while ago? Probably.
4. It'll be the same functionally as it serves the role of an ECA MBT, i.e. it has a tank gun and a mannable machine gun. Other features will be decided once we get to it.

As for the French, they actually get the Tiger and the Venom although the Venom probably won't be a 1.8 addition, but something you'll see later.
Nemanja
Will Goshawk get new skin ?
Genmotty
QUOTE (MARS @ 13 Dec 2012, 8:12) *
4. It'll be the same functionally as it serves the role of an ECA MBT, i.e. it has a tank gun and a mannable machine gun. Other features will be decided once we get to it.

I dearly hope it has something 'stealthy' about it...disguise as another vehicle perhaps...? After all it has to be unique enough to differentiate itself from the leopard, without giving Charles 'the most amazing basic tank on the block'. I would seriously consider a 'large build limit' on the numbers that can be deployed as well...recognising the nature of it being a 'critical asset'. Just feedback and thoughts.

----------------------------------------

Fair update, nice to see the Harrier and Eurofighter in come-back/cameo roles, with a nice touch at having the Spanish being the ones with the majority of stock. It really fleshes out some verisimilitude in the fact that Britain is one of the worlds largest arms suppliers to other nations (even though we Brits don't think we are and try to keep that aspect hidden).

I very much like those implementations.

However I was slightly disappointed at the Vulcan Bombers armament choices. The 'Grand Slam' being a WWII weapon doesn't really feel right. Critically, fuel air bombs are far more destructive than the Grand Slam ever was. Comparing the MOAB to the Grand Slam, the MOAB has about twice the blast yield, for the same weight, and because of its air blast detonation method, has a larger blast radius.

Given that Britain has the capacity now to build such thermobaric/fuel blast ordinance in short order, then it doesn't make a lot of sense for them to be adopting an obsolete munition, which itself is not 'easy' to manufacture given the vast amount of explosives needed, as well as the difficulties in being at the correct altitude to drop the device. Even in terms of 'bunker busting capabilities', smaller bombs today can do the job that these larger bombs did in the past, and Britain, certainly has these capabilities as well as we have seen in Operations in Iraq and Libya.

Thus I hope this 'Grand Slam Bomb' is really the 'Grand Slam Mk.II' and has been a considerable upgrade on the WWII weapon, on a par with the MOAB of FOAB because otherwise....why the f*ck are the British dropping these, when there are better alternatives available now, let alone in the future ROTR universe?

I hope in terms of balance as well, that ROTR does the weapon system justice at being able to 1 hit, or almost 1 hit every form of hardened structure in the game, and isn't some namby pamby GP that is punching well below its weight (be interesting if the GP Vulcan in this mode could knock out command centres in 1, that would really spice things up...)

The 'Smart Bomb' we'll have to reserve judgement on, it appears a good idea in concept, mines are fairly defensive, but trying to mix-match the mine concept with the attack GP concept didn't work all that well in Shockwave. I felt, more often than not I would ignore those abilities because they didn't do enough damage to be an attack GP, yet they didn't have enough 'zone denial' capacity to justify them in that role either. Thus for all their 'coolness' they got unused.

So reserved judgement with concerns.
Alias
Obligatory "this is a game, nothing has to make sense" post.
Planardweller
QUOTE (Alias @ 13 Dec 2012, 12:09) *
Obligatory "this is a game, nothing has to make sense" post.

The important thing is that those abilities were worthwhile, not another leaflet drop. I'm already skeptical of the smart bomb and tear gas call-ins, though Tear gas will be directional and RA3 style, so it will have better response time.
Also, as i understand ECA will be a faction with the least number of units opened through GP points in 1.8.
Lobo Solitario
QUOTE (SpiralSpectre @ 13 Dec 2012, 12:37) *

I get the feeling that comparing Shock Troopers to Spetsnaz is apples to oranges. Spetsnaz are an elite force who have been through years of special training whereas Shock Troopers seem to be brainwashed psychopaths who rely on their innate aptitude for violence and total lack of morality to make up for their lack of formal training. Depending on how deep the brainwashing goes, it could also be possible that Shock Troopers are little more than slave warriors who don't receive any wages or luxuries beyond basic commodities (an alternative is that they are less brainwashed and that they do indeed receive luxurious treatment to help ensure their loyalty) - assuming this, there would be little cost to Shock Troopers beyond their equipment, basic facilities to house them and the cost of the treatment to brainwash them in the first place. Spetsnaz on the other hand require years of effort and expense to train, and only a limited number of candidates have the skill to pass the training, which puts a big limit on their numbers even if the country has the money to burn. Seeing the state of some Russian prisons now, and given the fact that Russia is supposed to have gone through a much worse period since, I'd imagine that there would be no shortage of suitable Shock Trooper candidates in the hellholes that some of those prisons would have become during the bad years.
Destiny
I love the models of the Harrier and Eurofighter. So badly want to use 'em.
MARS
The Grand Slam is only called that way because it sounds badass. We aren't even implying that it's the exact same thing as the World War II bomb. It's also different from the FOAB/ex-MOAB in that it's not so much about causing insane damage to everything in the blast zone as it is about stunning the opponent. Just to be clear: This thing detonates in the ground and causes a tremor which disables and damages structures and vehicles in a very large area. You can use it to temp-cripple entire bases and attack forces and bomb them into submission while they're completely defenceless.

As for the Smart Bomb, it's explosive radius and power make it worthwhile to take out groups of units and weakened structures but if that's not enough for you, this is one of two ECA general powers that will actually -change- if you decide to purchase a certain upgrade from the ECA tech tree. The other one is the tear gas strike which is directional, cannot be intercepted and basically creates a giant, moderately long-lasting 'drive through here for ultra-shitty attack on all affected units' zone.

QUOTE (Lobo Solitario @ 13 Dec 2012, 11:23) *
I get the feeling that comparing Shock Troopers to Spetsnaz is apples to oranges. Spetsnaz are an elite force who have been through years of special training whereas Shock Troopers seem to be brainwashed psychopaths who rely on their innate aptitude for violence and total lack of morality to make up for their lack of formal training. Depending on how deep the brainwashing goes, it could also be possible that Shock Troopers are little more than slave warriors who don't receive any wages or luxuries beyond basic commodities (an alternative is that they are less brainwashed and that they do indeed receive luxurious treatment to help ensure their loyalty) - assuming this, there would be little cost to Shock Troopers beyond their equipment, basic facilities to house them and the cost of the treatment to brainwash them in the first place. Spetsnaz on the other hand require years of effort and expense to train, and only a limited number of candidates have the skill to pass the training, which puts a big limit on their numbers even if the country has the money to burn. Seeing the state of some Russian prisons now, and given the fact that Russia is supposed to have gone through a much worse period since, I'd imagine that there would be no shortage of suitable Shock Trooper candidates in the hellholes that some of those prisons would have become during the bad years.

Long story short: Spetsnaz are rough but well trained, professional soldiers who primarily have to rely on their diverse set of skills while Shock Troopers are basically a bunch of psychopathic arseholes whose sole military value rests in the fact that they do -anything- Aleksandr tells them to and that he gave them a bunch of unfairly advanced infantry weapons. It's also entirely justified to assume that much of their own, self-indulgent 'uber-human mythos' is just built on bullshit because they win their victories by eradicating weakened enemies and claiming that it was all their work even though they would have been slaughtered en masse if it hadn't been for the regular Army that did most of the bleeding beforehand. We've stated before that Aleksandr and his bunch will be the only true 'evil' facet of the Russian faction and now it's starting to show.
__CrUsHeR
QUOTE (MARS @ 13 Dec 2012, 3:34) *

I thought the Shocktroopers were an infantry division much less, somewhere around 5,000 men. To train its army the Alek must have visited some prisons.
Planardweller
QUOTE (MARS @ 13 Dec 2012, 13:36) *
The Grand Slam is only called that way because it sounds badass. We aren't even implying that it's the exact same thing as the World War II bomb. It's also different from the FOAB/ex-MOAB in that it's not so much about causing insane damage to everything in the blast zone as it is about stunning the opponent. Just to be clear: This thing detonates in the ground and causes a tremor which disables and damages structures and vehicles in a very large area. You can use it to temp-cripple entire bases and attack forces and bomb them into submission while they're completely defenceless.

As for the Smart Bomb, it's explosive radius and power make it worthwhile to take out groups of units and weakened structures but if that's not enough for you, this is one of two ECA general powers that will actually -change- if you decide to purchase a certain upgrade from the ECA tech tree. The other one is the tear gas strike which is directional, cannot be intercepted and basically creates a giant, moderately long-lasting 'drive through here for ultra-shitty attack on all affected units' zone.

Long story short: Spetsnaz are rough but well trained, professional soldiers who primarily have to rely on their diverse set of skills while Shock Troopers are basically a bunch of psychopathic arseholes whose sole military value rests in the fact that they do -anything- Aleksandr tells them to and that he gave them a bunch of unfairly advanced infantry weapons. It's also entirely justified to assume that much of their own, self-indulgent 'uber-human mythos' is just built on bullshit because they win their victories by eradicating weakened enemies and claiming that it was all their work even though they would have been slaughtered en masse if it hadn't been for the regular Army that did most of the bleeding beforehand. We've stated before that Aleksandr and his bunch will be the only true 'evil' facet of the Russian faction and now it's starting to show.

So now, Grand Slam is basically an EMP nuke, except of seismic (almost under-ground) instead of high-altitude function.
Also, very glad about explanations of Tear gas and Smart Bomb. ECA being the last faction is the most-well thought out, it seems. I think 1.82, will aim to rectify this situation.
Mars, can it be done, so that airstrike and paradrop from Tech Airfield would be in the abilities sidebar, just like chinese radar plane and RF radar missiles?
Lobo Solitario
QUOTE (__CrUsHeR @ 13 Dec 2012, 20:10) *
I thought the Shocktroopers were an infantry division much less, somewhere around 5,000 men. To train its army the Alek must have visited some prisons.

Russia's current official prison population apparently numbers about 750,000 at present. Given growing population, hard times and additional arrests due to likely civil disorder during the bad years, it could probably rise to well over a million, which would make the Shock Divisions about 4-8% of the prison population if taken from there alone. It's probably likely that they were also recruited from the dregs of the army and the civilian population as well, and it could be possible that Aleksander even made deals with former soviet states and neighbouring countries to take their more "troublesome prisoners" off their hands.
Planardweller
QUOTE (Lobo Solitario @ 13 Dec 2012, 14:33) *
Russia's current official prison population apparently numbers about 750,000 at present. Given growing population, hard times and additional arrests due to likely civil disorder during the bad years, it could probably rise to well over a million, which would make the Shock Divisions about 4-8% of the prison population if taken from there alone. It's probably likely that they were also recruited from the dregs of the army and the civilian population as well, and it could be possible that Aleksander even made deals with former soviet states and neighbouring countries to take their more "troublesome prisoners" off their hands.

People, i think, you discount the inhuman training regime. The divisions represent those who became shock troopers. Quite likely there is an even bigger number of those who didn't.
__CrUsHeR
The Russia of Suvorov is a nursery of the monsters for the infamous Alek, victims of the system corrupting the system itself through the violence and chaos in a vicious cycle.

Really this whole process is sickly and Alek is a demented psychopath.
MARS
QUOTE (__CrUsHeR @ 13 Dec 2012, 13:49) *
Really this whole process is sickly and Alek is a demented psychopath.

And you come to that conclusion even though his last actual appearance in an update was right before the beginning of the war. Soon, you'll learn what the guy is up to right now. mindfuck.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.