Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rise of the Reds Update: Operation Sunscreen
SWR Productions Forum > SWR Projects > Rise of the Reds > Frontline News
Pages: 1, 2
MARS
French Guiana, October 2048

Yaroslav Korshunov and his VDV comrades stared at the red light above the closed cargo bay door. The payload space of the Ilyushin Il-76 transport plane was wrapped in an air of expectant suspense. Every once in a while, the irregular rattling of the airframe or a cough from one of the paratroopers could be heard against the monotonous droning of the four turbofan engines. The machine was one of almost twenty strategic airlifters known as the 'Candid' among Western militaries that had taken off from the Russian military bases in Maranhão, Brazil where the South American Pact had given the Federation the privilege to station a contingent of 2.000 soldiers. Now, it was their job to land a decisive strike against the nerve centre of the Solaris network; the ESA space centre near Kourou, French Guiana. "We are approaching the landing zone. Ninety seconds!", the nonchalant voice of the pilot, a senior Captain of the Russian Air Force with two decades of aviation service under his belt, sounded through the intercom. "Thank you for flying with VVS airlines and come again!", he added in an attempt to ease the tension.

At the same time, the red light started to flash as the cargo doors were opened. A wave of cold air rolled into the faces of the paratroopers whose eyes took a few seconds to adapt to the sudden burst of bright, tropical sunlight. "Thirty seconds!", the pilot reported again. "Check your equipment and be careful out there, comra...", he was suddenly interrupted by a loud, crackling noise. It seemed as if the entire airframe started to rumble and within moments, Yaroslav and his fellow paratroopers registered the stench of melting plastic. Electrical cables started to smolder, then burst into sparks of flame and the soldiers were overwhelmed by a painful, burning sensation that struck their reddening skin like a thousand hot needles. The signal light above the open door turned to green, only for the bulb to pop out a few seconds later. "GET OUT!", the pilot exclaimed. "I can't keep her in the air, just get the hell out of here NOW!", he added before his voice was cut off by the sound of exploding hardware and a disgusting splattering noise grotesquely reminiscent of an overripe watermelon.

Yaroslav and most of his comrades made the jump, witnessing as their Ilyushin turned into a flying fireball above them and plunged to the ground. Many of the other planes shared the same fate, seared out of the sky by the ECA's most infamous anti-air system, a nefarious microwave weapon of Scandinavian origin known and feared as the 'Wotan'. During his fall, Yaroslav could only watch helplessly while some of his fellow soldiers burned up in the deadly energy beams that shot at them from the European space port below. He almost got swatted down by a fully manned BMD combat vehicle whose parachute had malfunctioned. The 13 ton IFV plunged towards the earth, missing Yaroslav by only a few metres, and got smashed to a clump of shattered metal as it hit the ground. Despite the harrowing sights, the VDV trooper pulled the chord on time and glided down with his parachute. He rolled over, freed himself from the ropes and readied his weapon; it was time for some payback.

Before we show off today's renders, we'd like to use this opportunity to present you a Voice Over Showreel by our team member Stig Sydtangen AKA DragonNOR, who lended his voice to several of our new units.

The Wotan is a revolutionary anti-air weapon system of Norwegian origin. Its armament is a microwave projector which is capable of firing an extremely intense beam of EM radiation at a target. Due to the intricacies of the weapon control systems, the limited depression of the beam projector and 'humanitarian' concerns, the 'heat ray' can only be fired at airborne targets, making the Wotan the heavy anti-air weapon of choice for the Scandinavian militaries and the ECA. The beam's intensity can be set to 'focussed' or 'spread', allowing the Wotan to defeat individual aircraft with all available firepower or damage an entire swarm of packed targets at the same time. Thanks to the physical attributes of a directed energy weapon, the Wotan's attack has long range and suffers no delay before it strikes the target. An enemy pilot caught within range of a Wotan is essentially doomed to combust, either from being cooked to death by the microwave beam or by the premature ignition of his fuel and weaponry - whichever happens first.

In order to provide the Russian Airborne Troops with some additional punch against vehicles, the BMD can now be upgraded into a Sprut-SD 125mm tank destroyer as an alternative to installing the mortar cannon.

Dangerman
So the Russians have captured a Solaris Satellite (or the entire system)? I've got a feeling that I know now Aleksandr's infamous landmark in history is going to be...

Nice update, so the ECA do have a DEW (if Microwaves count).
SpiralSpectre
Finally the Russians do what they should've done right before landing in England! I guess there was some kinda problems why they didn't bother to do so back then or was it sheer overconfidence from their part? Anyway the plot thickens, presents a lot of possibilities now. But gotta say it would've been interesting to know how a few tattered VDV managed to get hold of the station.

Finally the teaser "hoodie" from way back gets revealed. Didn't exactly expect the energy based AA from the trailer to be microwave but it's a nice touch I guess.
MARS
They've captured the ECA's space facilities and have apparently brought down the satellite that provided power to the UK and Ireland.
As for the station, the space port is still run by ESA. It's not a military facility, although the 3rd Infantry Regiment of the French Foreign Legion was probably deployed as a defensive force (they are station in French Guiana in RL). Apparently, they failed.
Dangerman
Though one thing, why didn't the Russians take French Guiana in the first place?
GDIZOCOM
Your additions are getting stranger and stranger...I LIKE IT (on a side note, the voices are funny and epic xD)

I really like the takeover, don't get me wrong I want Russia to win for a difference. I love those sub-headlines. There's finally another render besides the ECA, kinda miss Ruskie renders. Can't wait for Russia's greatest and most infamous move 8I.png
MARS
QUOTE (dangerman1337 @ 22 Dec 2012, 12:35) *
Though one thing, why didn't the Russians take French Guiana in the first place?

They most likely concentrated the bulk of their airborne forces on the initial invasion of Europe, where they had to assume rapid control of key
bridges, intact airfields, and other strategic targets. The fact that they're doing this now either speaks of an error on their part or sheer desperation.

PS: If they had done this earlier, the ECA's solar tech would have likely been wrecked to a point where all their in-game solar technologies
would no longer function but we didn't want to plot-cripple that aspect in the same way we've already crippled their air force; just roll with it. crush8.gif
Xofolez
haha i knew the yellow box was a special one... some of the things they say on there, so hilarious!

Whats this? Russia claims a victory in capturing the ESA facility in S.A?! FOR MOTHER RUSSIA!

Massey, grab your pistol, we got a "Tug-of-War" on our hands!

Frogfoot squadrons will still make short work of Wotan AA

All joking aside and out of character- It would seem that the ESA was lightly fortified as there likely was no more then 2 dozen II-76 flown into the mission, carrying an infantry division... The fact that the Wotan is restricted to AA only probably made them easy targets when the paratroopers made down there obviously safely -after jumping out of popcorn planes- and there was likely only a small security force protecting the ESA... It would be ironic to see the Russians firing the solaris at ECA and USA bases as they were nearly cooked, themselves...
Knjaz.
QUOTE (dangerman1337 @ 22 Dec 2012, 13:35) *

Well, I can imagine that it was too heavily defended for those 2.000 troopers stationed in Latin America. I bet when RuArmy reached Spain, ECA was pulling everything it could to the frontlines.

In RL that object would be a worthy target for a nuclear cruise missile strike by Tu-160 anyway, after the ECA deployed Pandora.

QUOTE (MARS @ 22 Dec 2012, 13:46) *
^ The news image heavily suggests that the Russians did successfully seize the space port and brought down at least one Solaris satellite.

Yes, I noticed it a minute later tongue.gif
MARS
^ The news image heavily suggests that the Russians did successfully seize the space port and brought down at least one Solaris satellite.
Dangerman
QUOTE (Knjaz. @ 22 Dec 2012, 12:44) *
Well, I can imagine that it was too heavily defended for those 2.000 troopers stationed in Latin America. I bet when RuArmy reached Spain, ECA was pulling everything it could to the frontlines.

The story above doesn't tell us how that offensive went, and what happened with the ESA, though.

I suppose the actual operationis better left to the imagination though I do suppose your explaniation makes sense (I suppose it was heavily defended and Russians were/are more concerned about Continental Europe and possible intervention from anyone else at the time.
SpiralSpectre
But gotta say it's getting harder and harder to keep track of unique techs now, other than ECA unique techs.
Dangerman
One thing, is this Sprut-SD upgrade going to be the only add on for Russia or are they going to get that supposed Zhukov-exclusive in 2.0 unit in 1.8 (or are they pushed back for 1.82 as-well for the GLA, China and USA)?
MARS
The Sprut was actually a very spontaneous addition that only came into being one or two weeks ago. It was rather simple to make and falls into the 'yeah, might as well throw it in' category
of additions. When we set out to make 1.8, we weren't actually planning on adding much besides the actual ECA and reserve such things for 1.82, but I guess you guys got lucky this time.
Shredder
Wow. The Pandora sounds a bit desperate tbh, but I guess that was the idea? And the Lynx sounds like a CnC Dwarf(Not just because of the accent).
RocketMan
The way I see it, the VDV airdrop units are quite flexible with VDV infantry, and a BMP with three different weapon loadouts. I wonder if the US airdrop might get some kind of a enhancement, since IMO a bunch of basic infantry with a lightweight, lightly armored Hummvee, which needs a infantry unit to use its machine gun is IMHO much less appealing when compared to this...
Genmotty
Being a stickler for detail;

...Its armament is a microwave projector which is capable of firing a powerful beam of extremely high frequency waves at a target...

Microwaves are low frequency EM waves.

It is UV, X-rays and Gamma Rays that are 'High Frequency' EM waves. You might want to correct/retcon. the descriptive fluff to make sense. 'Beam power' is also technically 'Beam Intensity', since it is the number of photons that carry the energy that actually impart the energy into the target;

Suggestion;
...Its armament is a microwave projector which is capable of firing an extremely intense beam of EM radiation at a target...
General Tatarin
The Pandora sounds desperate because nuclear weapons were abondoned. BTW nice work on sound recording. Popcorn's ready ! biggrin.gif
It seems that USA's microwave tank uses a little different technology. It shuts down buildings and burns infantry.
Nice work ! 8chi.png
Planardweller
"Large ham" doesn't even start describing DragonNOR rolleyes.gif Still, can't wait till 25th!
Anubis
QUOTE (Genmotty @ 22 Dec 2012, 14:31) *
Being a stickler for detail;

Microwaves are low frequency EM waves.

It is UV, X-rays and Gamma Rays that are 'High Frequency' EM waves. You might want to correct/retcon. the descriptive fluff to make sense. 'Beam power' is also technically 'Beam Intensity', since it is the number of photons that carry the energy that actually impart the energy into the target;

Suggestion;

Yay - realism nazi. Well my first suggestion is put your hand in a microwave cooker. See what happens. Then multiply that by a huge number and you get the idea. The US army already uses microwave weapons on a low intensity. You know what happens - the person hit by it has it's brain almost cooked and it's nervous system overcharged to a fucksimum. Now imagine if that intensity would be increased alot. Also microwaves have an awsome habit of frying electronics. Do more research, be less of a realism nazi.
DELETED MEMBER
And when USA balances the battle Russia gets the ESA space center
MARS
On a pure-fact basis, he does seem to be right though.
Microwaves are at the lower end of the EM spectrum. Which isn't to say that -these- particular microwaves represent the more powerful variety of that, but I did actually update the description accordingly, as it might indeed be read as an error otherwise.
Serialkillerwhale
now then, I take it microwaves are now multi-faction as well?
BlitzGeneral
I love how Wotan has "one eye" on the vehicle.

Hehehe...
MARS
QUOTE (Serialkillerwhale @ 22 Dec 2012, 14:27) *
now then, I take it microwaves are now multi-faction as well?

Only for this one ECA unit and the Americans.
Dangerman
Two questions:

1. Is retaking French Guiana going to be a mission (the first one?) because it would make sense as it would be essential for the ECA to get the Solaris system back together?
2. How powerful is the Sprut-SDs cannon compared to the Kodiak?
Vintorez
QUOTE (MARS @ 22 Dec 2012, 5:09) *
An enemy pilot caught within range of a Wotan is essentially doomed to combust, either from being cooked to death by the microwave beam or by the premature ignition of his fuel and weaponry - whichever happens first.

Very cool update - btw, does this mean that hypothetically if a USA aircraft is shot down by a Wotan, that the pilot dies? Or is it just trivia.
DragonNOR
QUOTE (Planardweller @ 22 Dec 2012, 13:44) *
"Large ham" doesn't even start describing DragonNOR rolleyes.gif Still, can't wait till 25th!

At first I had no idea what that meant, but after a quick search on TvTropes I can only say this:

"Stand aside, everyone! I take LARGE STEPS!" biggrin.gif
Panzer4life
Ah, Russia is regaining the initiative, the Pandora attack and the US invasion of France, the crushing defeat of their navy, they need to cripple the ECA by logistical means. Hopefully, Russia will drain the ECA of its power by knocking out their satellites, as well as sparing their men from the horrors of the Solaris solar blast.
Planardweller
QUOTE (DragonNOR @ 22 Dec 2012, 15:46) *
At first I had no idea what that meant, but after a quick search on TvTropes I can only say this:

"Stand aside, everyone! I take LARGE STEPS!" biggrin.gif

To me, if you played DoW 2, you could a do Avitus better than the actor who voiced him.
X1Destroy
The voices of the ECA units are perfect, great job.

Is ECA OST will be just like the song in the video?

BTW, I was expecting a missile Heavy AA, but i was wrong. This wotan is like a hybrid between avenger and microwave.

(2142)Gen.Reaper
QUOTE (X1Destroy @ 22 Dec 2012, 8:03) *
The voices of the ECA units are perfect, great job.

Is ECA OST will be just like the song in the video?

BTW, I was expecting a missile Heavy AA, but i was wrong. This wotan is like a hybrid between avenger and microwave.

Reminds me of the GDI Disruptor as well.

I'm guessing that the USA will dispatch General Thorn or Griffon to retake the Space Center since the ECA is unlikely to take it themselves since it's busy in Europe. Either that or the GLA will take it for themselves and use it to fry Russia, the US, China, and the ECA like what they did with the USA's particle cannons.
Lobo Solitario
QUOTE (dangerman1337 @ 22 Dec 2012, 21:38) *
1. Is retaking French Guiana going to be a mission (the first one?) because it would make sense as it would be essential for the ECA to get the Solaris system back together?

I would assume the missions will be placed throughout the war, so this might in fact have an effect on a later mission where you're suddenly left without Solaris support and have to make do.
Planardweller
QUOTE ((2142)Gen.Reaper @ 22 Dec 2012, 16:41) *
Reminds me of the GDI Disruptor as well.

I'm guessing that the USA will dispatch General Thorn or Griffon to retake the Space Center since the ECA is unlikely to take it themselves since it's busy in Europe. Either that or the GLA will take it for themselves and use it to fry Russia, the US, China, and the ECA like what they did with the USA's particle cannons.

Is it known, that russians already can fully control Solaris network, especially military-modified satellites (if there are any?). Possibly they can move and disable satellites themselves, but not really anything more - it says the satellite was de-orbited (not shot down with anti-satellite missiles).

It's obvious that for in-game purposes that is reasonable to allow capturing and using opponents SW, but in-setting, after the incident with the particle cannon stolen by GLA, it would be really stupid to not account for such cases during design phase.

Also, MARS, does ESA (the space agency) use SKYLON or its relative?
Spejjarn
When I saw the image with the Christmas gifts I thought "Wait, why is it three boxes left? It's Christmas the day after tomorrow, so it should only be two left!" THEN I realized the tiny cutural difference: in Sweden and the rest of Scandinavia the 24th is the big day and in the Anglo-American world it is the 25th. Merry Christmas!
Mr.Kim
QUOTE (dangerman1337 @ 22 Dec 2012, 8:38) *
2. How powerful is the Sprut-SDs cannon compared to the Kodiak?

Exactly same damage as the Kodiak.
Serialkillerwhale
This might be totally off-topic but am i the only one that thinks the skylifter looks adorable in there?

The thing basically looks like a really fat puppy in a box.

Which rotors

A blue metal skin

ok i lost track of where the thought process should have ended.
MARS
QUOTE (Planardweller @ 22 Dec 2012, 16:07) *
Is it known, that russians already can fully control Solaris network, especially military-modified satellites (if there are any?). Possibly they can move and disable satellites themselves, but not really anything more - it says the satellite was de-orbited (not shot down with anti-satellite missiles).

It's obvious that for in-game purposes that is reasonable to allow capturing and using opponents SW, but in-setting, after the incident with the particle cannon stolen by GLA, it would be really stupid to not account for such cases during design phase.

Also, MARS, does ESA (the space agency) use SKYLON or its relative?

Keep in mind that the last bit of information is from an in-universe news picture; just like RL news channels, they latch onto a headline the moment something happens and may get things wrong in the process. Normally, a Solaris satellite is expected to remain in a synchronous orbit above its power station. The fact that this one was 'de-orbited' had the immediate result that the ground station was no longer provided with solar power, but in practice, it could mean that the satellite either went down or was put on a different orbit i.e. moved. In any case, those ESA facilities just became an important war asset and you'll soon learn what happened to it. As for the SKYLON, this kind of thing doesn't seem relevent in the grand scheme of things so...I'm neither saying they do use it nor do I say that they don't.
obssesednuker
On the voice recording: a few of those actually sound like just plain unaccented english rather then having a Norwegian tint. Only a few those, the rest I could definantly identify as sounding like a Scandinavian.
Planardweller
QUOTE (MARS @ 22 Dec 2012, 18:45) *
Keep in mind that the last bit of information is from an in-universe news picture; just like RL news channels, they latch onto a headline the moment something happens and may get things wrong in the process. Normally, a Solaris satellite is expected to remain in a synchronous orbit above its power station. The fact that this one was 'de-orbited' had the immediate result that the ground station was no longer provided with solar power, but in practice, it could mean that the satellite either went down or was put on a different orbit i.e. moved. In any case, those ESA facilities just became an important war asset and you'll soon learn what happened to it. As for the SKYLON, this kind of thing doesn't seem relevent in the grand scheme of things so...I'm neither saying they do use it nor do I say that they don't.

about Skylon - it was my general curiosity about a space project i'm really interested in and it seems appropriate for ESA to continue their support of a british development which can replace space shuttle.
z741
QUOTE (Vintorez @ 22 Dec 2012, 14:40) *
Very cool update - btw, does this mean that hypothetically if a USA aircraft is shot down by a Wotan, that the pilot dies? Or is it just trivia.

what you are saying is essentially the equivalent of an EM pulse in vanilla.

mars are you going to incorporate the whole storyline into a PDF once 2.0 comes out?
DELETED MEMBER
QUOTE (BlitzGeneral @ 22 Dec 2012, 14:28) *
I love how Wotan has "one eye" on the vehicle.

Hehehe...

oh?
OH!
didnt catch the actual meaning of the name
UltimateAero
I want the purple one next! biggrin.gif
BLGMGL
At the beginning I though VDV is going to take out / capture some important military control centers in the US until the text said "a contingent of (Russian) 2.000 soldiers". Then I thought how the hell these only 2K soldiers are going to re-take whole military control of the US.

Now that makes sense. I wonder against whom will Solaris be used against - US or ECA.

P.S. VDV must have been accompanied by conscripts since they managed to capture the enemy structure. mindfuck.gif
Serialkillerwhale
Wait, will the particle uplink be able to be shot at other things in space?
And the solaris?

You know what i'm thinking

Beam-o-war time!
CheoRock
I really like this new update, and the addition of SAP, playing on the RF side. 8Isov.gif
Hope to take control of the ESA facilities, can give more options to the Russians, now that U.S. joined the war...
Genmotty
QUOTE (Anubis @ 22 Dec 2012, 13:04) *
Yay - realism nazi....

Detail nazi wink.gif. I think we would all like to see simple inconsistencies cleared up, than be allowed to perpetuate. I mean if we were talking a wrongly attributed General, unit cost, or in game ability in the description, surely that would be worth pointing out? I generally don't comment on the boards unless I wish to give opinion or constructive criticism.

On which I have to make mention; the fatass airship is indeed a lovely model in my opinion, reminiscent of another game I used to play and I do think it adds a mice touch to the ECA faction, much like the Chinese factions airship also does. My only concern with the airships though is that they appear to be able to tank a tremendous amount of AA. In terms of balance they can really hog up the Russians or the GLA...not so much the Americans Raptors tend to get them en route and China again has enough flak to make short-work thereof.

I feel the addition of the Wotan will be another excellent point of uniqueness, love the model and concept I guess it might feel a lot like the ZH Avenger in action just with more power.
Alex1guy
"Tell the gunner his aim SUCKS!" laugh.gif
katmoda12

Very interesting update, also i've been hit by the tha new upgrade for the bmd, it will give more uniqueness to orlov that can displace and change his troops in matters of seconds...

i know that The Hunter has banned every gameplay question until xmas but i'd like to know if the bmd after the sprut sd has an immobile turret (since is a tank destroyer) or if the turret still retains the ability to traverse
Xofolez
QUOTE (katmoda12 @ 22 Dec 2012, 20:57) *
i know that The Hunter has banned every gameplay question until xmas

lol i was wondering if everyone had forgotten or neglected to read that post by The_hunter... was beginning to wonder if he was going to start can-trolling us
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.