Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wiki related questions
SWR Productions Forum > SWR Projects > Rise of the Reds
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
Admiral*Alex
I would do this myself ,but could someone please make a page just for the faction's generals powers please?
V.Metalic
QUOTE (Admiral*Alex @ 23 Apr 2014, 1:52) *
I would do this myself ,but could someone please make a page just for the faction's generals powers please?

I may. It may not look so pretty, but I can smile.gif
Svea Rike
Is it ROTR or RotR, because two different acronyms doesn't look good, especially when right next to each other. Personally, ROTR looks better but RotR looks more natural. Which is standard? Maybe we should have a poll?
MARS
ROTR seems to be preferred.
Pickysaurus
Launcher files in the game are named ROTR.

Also MARS has spoken! tongue.gif
Svea Rike
Does the flag for the Pacific Peace Alliance still exist, because I created a page for it.
MARS
It does exist, although it was probably more of a logo/mission patch seeing how briefly this alliance survived.

//in b4 in-universe Harry Turtledove writes an alternate history novel about what might have come out of the PPA if Aleksandr had been defeated at Kurmuk aw2.gif
Svea Rike
I mean, does it still exist in real life in the servers, so it can be added to the page?
__CrUsHeR
QUOTE (MARS @ 28 Apr 2014, 6:27) *
//in b4 in-universe Harry Turtledove writes an alternate history novel about what might have come out of the PPA if Aleksandr had been defeated at Kurmuk aw2.gif

My god, I need to read this! mindfuck.gif
Svea Rike
I see you've updated the timeline MARS.
HMS Warspite
Okay, so it is described how the ancient Sentinel Tank and Tremor AGAS looks like. Can someone please post a picture (rendition preferred, no need to apologize if rendition is unable to be found) of the ancient Sentinel Tank and Tremor AGAS? (When I refer to ancient, I mean when the Russian Airfield had a hammer and sickle rotation pad. In other words, pre-SWR.)

QUOTE (MARS @ 28 Apr 2014, 10:27) *
It does exist, although it was probably more of a logo/mission patch seeing how briefly this alliance survived.

Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha.

This, I have to read.
Shiro
QUOTE (Bergzak @ 30 May 2014, 6:41) *
Okay, so it is described how the ancient Sentinel Tank and Tremor AGAS looks like. Can someone please post a picture (rendition preferred, no need to apologize if rendition is unable to be found) of the ancient Sentinel Tank and Tremor AGAS? (When I refer to ancient, I mean when the Russian Airfield had a hammer and sickle rotation pad. In other words, pre-SWR.)

http://abload.de/img/sentinelpreswrsss8m.png
http://abload.de/img/tremorpreswrvtsnl.png
Here screwyou.gif
Svea Rike
They don't look that bad actually.
Shiro
Considering these were made 10 years ago, they were indeed fairly nice for their time.
MARS
As far as lore's concerned, these two did actually exist. One is presumably an early, more conventional testbed for the Tremor, the other one is the failed, pre-Suvorov era Sentinel tank which was basically meant to be a Russian Overlord in the setting.
HMS Warspite
QUOTE (SorataZ @ 1 Jun 2014, 22:47) *

Thanks, SorataZ.

Not a bad predecessor. Didn't know the ancient Russians used an almost-similar Overlord tank on steroids before going to El Presidenté's rendition of one 200-something mm tank cannon on a 4x4 tread tank.

And the ancient Tremor AGAS also reminds me of a Twin-Fang's cannon.

I wonder: was there some ancient stuff we never knew? (I know the ancient Russian airfield was something out of Red Alert or something 8Isov.gif ).
teslashark
I thought one Iteration of the Ancient Tremor is made for China in Reborn Mod, something edited from the Nuke.
(USA)Bruce
QUOTE (SorataZ @ 1 Jun 2014, 22:47) *

Thanks!
Theese look quite well...

As for lore is there anychance they still exist in a warehouse?
Maybe someone can write something about ECA commandos droping in and stealing one of theese buggers and rolling over russian supply trucks biggrin.gif
Admiral*Alex
I just wanted to run this by everyone first before I edited this into the Aurora Page on the wikia:

(These lines word for word are the same as I would put in the wikia.)
  • As of Version 1.802 the Aurora Bomber can be coded back into the game.
  • If coded back in the Aurora Bomber requires the Aurora Bomber General's Point (Also needes to be coded in).
  • In Game, as of Version 1.802 and if coded back in, the Aurora Bomber hasn't been changed from the vanilla Zero Hour version except the it requires the above General's Point.

And to the little Bird:
  • The Little Bird can be coded back into the game as of 1.802.
The_Hunter
not entirely correct as both of those had been in the game code since the very first 1.0 (re)release.
V.Metalic
Probably not appropriate place, but this question is not one that anyone actually cares about so I doubt anyone will be asking it again. The Chinese generals, their names as they are displayed (Chen, Mau and Jin), are these surnames or first names? As it seems that in Generals 2 the order is same as in Japan, surname first, first name second. The names in Generals (1) are different case because they were made to translate some phrase, like Tao's is bad spelling of "green stones" (uranium), and Kwai's is "he very fast", or so. So I just wonder if Red Army General's surname is Chen or rather Xing, as both can be surnames.
MARS
Chen, Jin and Mau would be their surnames - even though someone recently informed me that Mau isn't even a real name to begin with. I chose to arrange them in that order because the original game also had this weird habit of putting them in an unusual given name + surname order (Tsing Shi TAO, Ta Hun KWAI, Shin FAI). Suppose it's one of those early period things that we didn't really invest any proper thought on which everyone still grew accustomed to anyway, much like the ECA Generals who, despite HAVING full names, are still referred to as Generals Wolfgang, Willem and Charles in the game itself.
Shiro
Ta Hun Kwai insn't exactly good mandarin either, but apart from being broken, it's supposed to mean "He (is) very fast". Blame EA.
V.Metalic
QUOTE (SoraZ @ 17 Jul 2014, 7:45) *
Ta Hun Kwai insn't exactly good mandarin either, but apart from being broken, it's supposed to mean "He (is) very fast". Blame EA.

Exactly. The ZH Chinese general has their names as a jokes or references, not an actual names. That Mau is not a name, its true, but maybe his family adopted this name recently, maybe as to connect with the glorious leader, Mao Zedong, being very similar in pronunciation. So in practice the names of them should be more as

Jin Bao
Mau Hu Tan
Chen Xing

But I suppose this is not a big deal at all. Just a cosmetic change, nothing that differ from what is now.
Admiral*Alex
Could someone add a Gallery and this image (below) to the Jagdmammut Tank Destroyer, please?
I would do this ,but I don't know how to make/insert a Gallery in the wiki.

The image:
MARS
/insert detailed lore paragraph on how this was merely an early testbed vehicle for the final version wink.gif
Serialkillerwhale
/insert extended technobabble on why the final version is better, all in the form of a parody of Future Weapons.
Admiral*Alex
QUOTE (MARS @ 30 Aug 2014, 1:32) *
/insert detailed lore paragraph on how this was merely an early testbed vehicle for the final version wink.gif

Thanks for the correction MARS.
Omnius64
Is there any lore reason of why the Eurofighter is never targeted & attacked ingame?
In RL, with a Mach speed of 1.5, if fast indeed, and in the future, newer models would be faster...But so are & much faster the Raptor and more. Mig bomber, A-10, and other support aircraft can be targeted. But not the Typhoon.

But how the Eurofighters would be invulnerable? Is the 2040s model using a Scramjet motor? What model is the one used to begin with, during the war?
If there is a reason, the wiki article should be edited.
MARS
Not everything needs to be explained because trying so only draws attention to inaccuracies. The planes that are called in via the airstrike ability from the tech airport cannot be targeted either. Suppose the way they swoop in from great heights, drop their payloads and pull right up again makes them hard to pick up and target or something.
Omnius64
Speaking of Jadmammuth.

There should be included these images to the wiki for the Jad mammuth article.

http://s180.photobucket.com/user/Teh_ROTR/...ntro-2.png.html
http://s180.photobucket.com/user/Teh_ROTR/...odyx-1.png.html
http://s180.photobucket.com/user/Teh_ROTR/...utro-1.png.html
Svea Rike
Holy crap, that's freaking awesome! Why aren't you making more of these info things for other units, SWR?
Omnius64
QUOTE (Svea Rike @ 31 Aug 2014, 20:03) *
Holy crap, that's freaking awesome! Why aren't you making more of these info things for other units, SWR?

I asked myself the same question while reading this.
Doing this to all vehicles would be perhaps too much time consuming, indeed; But this data files thing should be used to many of the actual units, and the next ones to be released.
Oliver
You did this? That is actually pretty neat
Omnius64
QUOTE (Oliver @ 31 Aug 2014, 20:40) *
You did this? That is actually pretty neat

I didnt maked this.
SWR did this before. And I found it here:
http://forums.swr-productions.com/index.ph...p;hl=Jagdmammut
Oliver
I think this is the right section to ask this... Wouldn't be nice to create a section on wiki with an render of the evolution of units (revamps and stuff)? Kinda like the one fo the Sentinel showed on the CBCPT interview of SWR.

Kinda like to show the evolution of the models throughout the mod
Admiral*Alex
QUOTE (Oliver @ 31 Aug 2014, 18:50) *
I think this is the right section to ask this... Wouldn't be nice to create a section on wiki with an render of the evolution of units (revamps and stuff)? Kinda like the one fo the Sentinel showed on the CBCPT interview of SWR.

Kinda like to show the evolution of the models throughout the mod

I like it and it would insure that only current information/pictures are on the unit's page and it would clean a few on them up a little so the Trivia/Gallery isn't full of out dated models.
Omnius64
Theres already an article about USA & China upgrades.
Now someone need to do the rest of factions upgrades articles.
MARS
Brownie points for whoever comes up with a proper canon-summary of this article based on what is actually established. I don't know who put this here, but it's completely false, likely someone's personal non-canon interpretation based on the pre-SWR story premise.
Graion Dilach
It wasn't me, I nuked RPG Conscript instead! Tho the more I look at it, the more I feel I'll probably gonna rewire BMP too... tongue.gif
teslashark
So I might be wrong, but is Russia's shorthand RUS and China's shorthand CHN?
MARS
Right, although I personally tend to call it PRC instead of CHN which, when I think about it, might actually be redundant since the ROC no longer exists in the ROTR timeline. Works either way, really.
teslashark
Thanks, just saying there's quite a few PRC and RFs left in the wikia...
Omnius64
I have created my first article in a wiki.
Its about a resume of the Generals game concept for 2.0.

http://generalsrotr.wikia.com/wiki/Generals

This article need to be edited to a proper standart. (images,references,links,etc...)
WarWolf_1
Hey all,
Having put some solid time in on the wiki today I'm going to share an update with some changes (and questions).

Visiting the main page you'll notice it has been spruced up.
- The updates listing has been removed. An external link has been added under the appropriate section, linking to the news listing on ModDB. I've chosen ModDB as it keeps updates chronologically.
- In its place is now a poll! As exciting as that may not be, why not answer the question when passing by?
- I had the thought that the "Media" section could showcase newer content, which is why you'll see unit renders. We can include newer SWR released screenshots as well.
- There is also the addition of the "Popular Categories" section. We should make the images the same size eventually.

QUESTION: What would make for a proper image for the "mechanics" (game-play mechanics) category?

Speaking of which, we now have more fleshed out general categories (NOT in-game generals). Doing my best to follow the K.I.S.S. mindset (Keep It Simple Stupid ["Silly" if you're wanting to be nice]) I'm trying to keep as few categories as possible, focused on topics dealing with the game before (if ever) having fluff ones (think: IFVs, Super-heavy-ohmehgawd-tanks, etc.). The current exception I can think of may be "events". However the tree of sub-categories appears accurate and thus useful (if pushing the threshold for "amount of clicks needed to find something").
- Addition of said "Mechanics" category. It is for all game-play mechanic related articles.
- "Scrapped Content" is now "Archives". If something is scrapped or otherwise obsolete (and going to remain that way) add it to that category. We could make the template that is added to a scrapped page add said category.
- Lore now has "Minor factions" and "Technology".
- "Battles" are now under "Operations", because Wikipedia told me so. [ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_operation ] All events are now under "Events".

QUESTION: Does anyone have any thoughts on a word or two to represent whether an aircraft has to return to an airfield or not?

QUESTION: Does anyone know of a word or two that includes "Ground attack" aircraft and "Bomber" aircraft under its meaning? Both refer to a different type of aircraft from my understanding.

I created two articles now under the "Technology" category. "Lasers" was "Point Defense Lasers", and now serves as a topic catcher for all material related to it. "Unmanned systems" will do the same job for all UGVs, UAVs, UCAVs and U[insert acronym(s) I may have missed here]s.

QUESTION: Do these types of pages seem like they'd be of worth to the wiki/ people reading it?

Please see the Guardian's comments section for a question on lore armament if you're interested (and have an opinion?).

The wiki navigation bar has been updated.

And finally. Please look at the Blackhawk and Interceptor. These show my thoughts on page layout.
- Blackhawk: showcases the use of the unit's Cameo with intro paragraph.
- Interceptor: showcases the framework of what could be all unit/structure pages' layout.

QUESTION: Would a combination of both points be acceptable for all units? Can quotes go in one location or is the common opinion that they should be scattered about?

@Omnius64: I've changed the layout of the page you made. What are your thoughts on it? Is it acceptable?

Cheers folks.
Omnius64
QUOTE (WarWolf_1 @ 24 Sep 2014, 8:02) *
Hey all,
Having put some solid time in on the wiki today I'm going to share an update with some changes (and questions).

Visiting the main page you'll notice it has been spruced up.
- The updates listing has been removed. An external link has been added under the appropriate section, linking to the news listing on ModDB. I've chosen ModDB as it keeps updates chronologically.
- In its place is now a poll! As exciting as that may not be, why not answer the question when passing by?
- I had the thought that the "Media" section could showcase newer content, which is why you'll see unit renders. We can include newer SWR released screenshots as well.
- There is also the addition of the "Popular Categories" section. We should make the images the same size eventually.

QUESTION: What would make for a proper image for the "mechanics" (game-play mechanics) category?

Speaking of which, we now have more fleshed out general categories (NOT in-game generals). Doing my best to follow the K.I.S.S. mindset (Keep It Simple Stupid ["Silly" if you're wanting to be nice]) I'm trying to keep as few categories as possible, focused on topics dealing with the game before (if ever) having fluff ones (think: IFVs, Super-heavy-ohmehgawd-tanks, etc.). The current exception I can think of may be "events". However the tree of sub-categories appears accurate and thus useful (if pushing the threshold for "amount of clicks needed to find something").
- Addition of said "Mechanics" category. It is for all game-play mechanic related articles.
- "Scrapped Content" is now "Archives". If something is scrapped or otherwise obsolete (and going to remain that way) add it to that category. We could make the template that is added to a scrapped page add said category.
- Lore now has "Minor factions" and "Technology".
- "Battles" are now under "Operations", because Wikipedia told me so. [ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_operation ] All events are now under "Events".

QUESTION: Does anyone have any thoughts on a word or two to represent whether an aircraft has to return to an airfield or not?

QUESTION: Does anyone know of a word or two that includes "Ground attack" aircraft and "Bomber" aircraft under its meaning? Both refer to a different type of aircraft from my understanding.

I created two articles now under the "Technology" category. "Lasers" was "Point Defense Lasers", and now serves as a topic catcher for all material related to it. "Unmanned systems" will do the same job for all UGVs, UAVs, UCAVs and U[insert acronym(s) I may have missed here]s.

QUESTION: Do these types of pages seem like they'd be of worth to the wiki/ people reading it?

Please see the Guardian's comments section for a question on lore armament if you're interested (and have an opinion?).

The wiki navigation bar has been updated.

And finally. Please look at the Blackhawk and Interceptor. These show my thoughts on page layout.
- Blackhawk: showcases the use of the unit's Cameo with intro paragraph.
- Interceptor: showcases the framework of what could be all unit/structure pages' layout.

QUESTION: Would a combination of both points be acceptable for all units? Can quotes go in one location or is the common opinion that they should be scattered about?

@Omnius64: I've changed the layout of the page you made. What are your thoughts on it? Is it acceptable?

Cheers folks.

I love all the changes you have maked!
We only need to complete the arsenal/upgrades list of all factions.
Svea Rike
I just made a page for Aldastan. Do you think it is any good?
MARS
^ Looks good.
Also, after some consideration, I feel inclined to drop the exact numbers from troop strength and casualty statistics from the infoboxes, mainly because these things tend to go way out of proportion and I cannot babysit every single article for believable numbers. In the future, unless exact numbers are provided, troop strength should be represented by listing a number of example organisations/armies or just a number of battalions, divisions, etc. whilst casualties, military and civilian, should only be marked in vague adjective terms, e.g. minimal, marginal, high, severe, heavy, catastrophic, total, etc. I would like to see this applied to all articles that have such infoboxes. Would be much appreciated.
Svea Rike
Right-e-o. Can I use the flag I made in my fan-fiction for the flag of Aldastan, or can you make a more professional one?
MARS
Feel free to work it in there for now, but mark it as your own.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.