Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DamageFX not displaying properly
SWR Productions Forum > Game Modding and Development > Generals/Zerohour Modding
Mcbob
I've stumbled upon a problem where the default TankDamageFX no long properly displays the lenz flare that usually accompanies hits from DEFAULT damage types. However, all other Damage FX display properly, including the other particles such as the sparks and smoke that go with FX_DamageTankStruck.

CODE
; ---------------------------------------
DamageFX TankDamageFX

AmountForMajorFX  = DEFAULT           2.0
  MajorFX           = DEFAULT           FX_DamageTankStruck
  VeterancyMajorFX  = HEROIC DEFAULT    FX_HeroicDamageTankStruck
  MinorFX           = DEFAULT           FX_DamageTankStruck
  VeterancyMinorFX  = HEROIC DEFAULT    FX_HeroicDamageTankStruck

End

I've triple checked the syntax of the DamageFX and FXList but there is nothing wrong with those.

I imported a DamageFX from ROTR and tested it on a Crusader. The FX displayed properly. I have no idea why it worked even when they were the same FX.

What is the source of this issue?
CoLT
Compare the particle system codes as well? I've had something like this happen with exhaust smoke fx before. It's not related to the FX list most times. More often the problem is with the particle system code. Yes, somehow the code is different even when it is exactly the same.

For example, I wanted to make a modified version of the USA Dozer exhaust smoke for my tank. So I copied the particle system and renamed it. It worked. So I edited it. Ingame, no smoke fx. I copied the original parameters back over the whole particle system code I was using and still nothing. Just kept doing that until I gave up.
Mcbob
Yeah, the particle codes used are the exact same too. I even checked for duplicates.

I'll make a copy of the lenz flare under a different name and see how it goes.

EDIT: What's even more mind-boggling is that the particle works properly for some vehicles (the ones with the ROTR-based DamageFX data) and improperly for all the other ones (using the original data).

EDIT: It worked. Everything is functioning as it should be now. Thanks CoLT.
CoLT
What ended up being the problem/how did you fix it?
Mcbob
I honestly have no idea what was causing the problem, but I made a copy of the particle that was the center of the issue and made a call to it in the FXList and it worked perfectly.

It could have just been one of those strange SAGE exceptions in the end.
CoLT
So basically, you made a duplicate of the original particle you wanted to use and added it to fx list that you wanted to use. Then it worked?
Because iirc that's how I solved this issue before too.
Mcbob
Precisely so.
The_Hunter
Well the only thing i can say to that is :

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.