Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rise of the Reds Update: Robot Wars, Part I
SWR Productions Forum > SWR Projects > Rise of the Reds > Frontline News
Pages: 1, 2, 3
MARS
United States of America, 2038

"Hi! I'm Steve Dawson and on today's episode of Future Warfare, I'll be giving you an exclusive look at some of the most cutting edge combat robots of the United States military. Now, as a former Force Recon Marine, I'm telling you here and now that wars will always be decided by the boots on the ground. But even in my time with the Corps back during the Global War on Terror, my fellow leathernecks and I fought alongside some very sophisticated unmanned weapon systems. We stormed the coast of Kazakhstan with an entire swarm of Predator UAVs providing live intel from above, the Rottweiler Sentry Drone covered our backs during the intense house-to-house fighting in Mogadishu and the Cypher Battle Drone kept our Humvees chugging all the way to Tehran. Today, about two decades later, the newer versions of these drones have become a mainstay component of any US military operation and I'm here at Fort Eustis, Virginia to see what's in store for the next time the United States of America go on a world tour - Let's check it out!"

"Back in the Corps, we always had two major rules that we were to follow at all times. First: Do not -ever- leave your fellow Marine behind in a fight. Second: If you can't drop an enemy dead with your gun - use MORE gun! The second rule must have been one of the few things that the R&D eggheads have actually learned from our previous engagement with the GLA, so they created this little guy right here: The Guardian Drone. This amazing box o' fun on treads is basically a remote controlled mini tank - I bet you would have loved to find one of these under the tree on Christmas. Armed with a short 40mm cannon, the Guardian packs enough punch to blast holes through light vehicles and it is both small and agile enough to support our grunts in close quarters. Its treads are built to be very sturdy to compensate for the recoil of the weapon, which also allows the drone to bury itself into a hull-down position for added protection. The Guardian stands as a fine example of our new doctrine: First you send in the robots to secure a foothold and then you get boots on the ground to seal the deal. Rumour has it that the Chinese are currently developing a new type of light tank for the exact same purpose. I hate to break it to the guys in Beijing, but...manned tankettes have been out of fashion since World War II. I guess they missed the memo."

This, my friends, is one of today's highlights: What you're looking at here is the AQ-360 Hunter Killer UCAV, the first -fully- autonomous military aircraft in the world. The state-of-the-art computer system that resides inside this machine is brought to us by some of our most renowned AI researchers and it's right over at Langley AFB where the artificial mind is merged with a lean and mean, all-American airframe made of lightweight but highly durable polymer materials. I know what some of you are thinking right now, but rest assured: There's always a way to pull the plug in case they ever try to go SkyNet on us and the AI itself is still way less intelligent than your average Army PFC. The HK can hold up to four Maverick air-to-ground missiles which makes it an exceptional tank-killer and ideal for close air support missions that are deemed too dangerous to risk the lives of our combat pilots. All of you Chair Force fighter and bomber jocks out there don't need to worry though; your jobs are safe! The Hunter Killer is purely designed to take on ground vehicles, so all that sweet dog-fighting and bomb-dropping is still up to you guys."

"That was pretty neat for a start, wasn't it? Well, let me tell you, there's more where this came from: Tune back in after the break and I'll show you something truly revolutionary. Here's a hint: It walks!"

__CrUsHeR
Yes! More robots!! More Robots!!! awbot.gif

The Guardian Drone was cool - a tank fast and cheap - it is able to beat a tankette Chinese?

I loved the Hunter Killer, it should really cause a good damage on enemy columns.

I'm curious to see what he had seen after the break, "something that walks" ... what the future has reserved for the USA???
Сергеј Иванович
COOL UPDATE!!! But I have some questions...
Does HK takes the role from Comanche for certain USA general?
And I can't wait to see that mecha!!! biggrin.gif
MARS
The HK is a plane, not a helicopter. It'll likely be available to all Generals and be especially effective against tanks.

Also, before anyone asks: Yes, we split that planned five render update in two in order to give you SOMETHING to compensate for our unexpected schedule slip.
Claine
ani8b.gif
Joe Kidd
Slavik: Define favorable out come CABAL

CABAL: They all die

Slavik: That'll do,

brings back the good ol' days
X1Destroy
I thought the Predator drone will remain in SW forever mindfuck.gif

BTW, Great job as always.. Finally an update after all those days biggrin.gif
Nemanja
Hunter drone skined and modeled by IPS . . .
And IPS drone will be done by Hunter ? tongue.gif

Nice update,although I don't like how it sounds,
it reminds me of that bold prick from Discovery Channel . . .
Anyway,interesting update for US arsenal,
one question tho,
will Hunter drone cost slightly less than jets,
I mean something like under 1000 or it will be
comparable to SF and Raptor ?
Pepo
awbot.gif Great update.seem really interesting.looking foward to the next one
ubermensche
QUOTE (Re_Simeone @ 25 Apr 2013, 13:46) *
Nice update,although I don't like how it sounds,
it reminds me of that bold prick from Discovery Channel . . .

Looks like I'm not the only one who thought of Mack from Future Weapons. That was a good show when I was like 15. Now when I watch re-runs, I can't stand more than 5 minutes of his dickwaving.
MARS
QUOTE (ubermensche @ 25 Apr 2013, 20:03) *
Looks like I'm not the only one who thought of Mack from Future Weapons. That was a good show when I was like 15. Now when I watch re-runs, I can't stand more than 5 minutes of his dickwaving.

Well, this update was intended as a very obvious, on-the-nose parody of Future Weapons so that's that.
wb21
Lol at the Richard Machowicz reference. I would lol more if it was R. Lee Ermey 8Ip.png On a related note:
"Supplementing and eventually replacing the A-10 Thunderbolt in frontline service gives a respectable level in service record...Its capability to do a plethora of air support roles too dangerous for manned aircraft makes it high in versatility...Adopting the strengths and capabilities of both manned and unmanned combat aircraft makes it score high in design ingenuity...Being the first purpose-built ground attack UAV gives plus points for rank in its class...overall the AQ-360 Hunter Killer places itself in the number three spot on our countdown."

mindfuck.gif boom8.gif

With a dedicated attack aircraft for the US, will the Raptor's role gets a tweak?
Panzer4life
Argh, this update is awesome, yet I can't play on my CPu, since it runs on windows 8. Wait, i hav e a alternate computer i can instal ZH onto, nvm. really looking forward to new updates, been lonely unable to play ROTR.
MARS
There's still a valid role difference between the Raptor and the HK. The HK can only attack vehicles and it won't actually dump all of its missiles on a single target in one second, so you can actually micro them.
Darkfire Angel
Awesome update is awesome, glad to finally see some new tech for the US. Will the HK be built at the Drone Facility or the Airbase and require the Drone Facility?
The_Hunter
QUOTE (Darkfire Angel @ 25 Apr 2013, 20:32) *
Awesome update is awesome, glad to finally see some new tech for the US. Will the HK be built at the Drone Facility or the Airbase and require the Drone Facility?

Build at the airfield but require an on site drone assembly plant (as all other drone based units or those that use drone tech)
ubermensche
QUOTE (Panzer4life @ 25 Apr 2013, 14:21) *
Argh, this update is awesome, yet I can't play on my CPu, since it runs on windows 8. Wait, i hav e a alternate computer i can instal ZH onto, nvm. really looking forward to new updates, been lonely unable to play ROTR.

Wait...you mean that CNC Generals can't run on Windows 8?

I'm getting a new computer in a couple of months so...

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.
Megazord
Wait...you mean that CNC Generals can't run on Windows 8?

That's not true - it works perfectly fine, just like on Win7.

Great update! How many drone units will be in final version?
ultimentra
I can't be the only person who read this whole thing in Mack from Future Weapon's voice. I really loved that show, no matter how ridiculous it was sometimes. The intense whispering man!

Great update guys! Can't wait to see these in some in-game screenshots.
Basilisx
Oh yeah, sweet. I'm glad to hear from you guys again smile.gif

How does the HK compare to the Raptor regarding speed and agility ? Does the HK rearm in the air like a Harrier or on an airfield ?
Dangerman
Is the Hunter Killer supposed to be the US's 1.82 Anti tank drone?
Cobretti
Awesome! Good to see another update from the mod team. The Hunter Killer drone looks especially cool. Does it take up an airfield spot like Raptors and Stealth Fighters do?
Mcbob
I like how the jarhead host has plenty of disparaging remarks toward the other uniformed services.

Except he can't say jack about the Navy rolleyes.gif

Damn I'm excited.
Warpath
Update Woohoo!
Mcbob
"That was pretty neat for a start, wasn't it? Well, let me tell you, there's more where this came from: Tune back in after the break and I'll show you something truly revolutionary. Here's a hint: It walks!"

Oh my god.
Serialkillerwhale
There's still a valid role difference between the Raptor and the HK. The HK can only attack vehicles and it won't actually dump all of its missiles on a single target in one second, so you can actually micro them.

YES! YES! YES!
SGM. Jazzie Spurs
Do want one. Nao. I specially love the look of the HK, and the ability of dug in of the Guardian seems to be really cool.
markp
If the HK is built at the airfield, does it use up an airfield slot (like a raptor) or not (like a helo)?

Also, once the HK runs out of missiles ... does it fly back to the airfield to re-arm (like a raptor) or does it automatically re-arm in mid-air (like a helo)?

Thanks!
Mr.Kim
It dose fly back to airfiled to re-arm after shooting.

Again, The Hunter Killer Drone is not attack helicopter type. I bet next up date will be China or Russia.
BLGMGL
QUOTE (MARS @ 26 Apr 2013, 0:52) *

Oh, no! Don't tell me it's another stupid mecha style robot! I hate robots!!! screwyou.gif
Cobretti
Panzer4life
QUOTE (Megazord @ 25 Apr 2013, 15:00) *
That's not true - it works perfectly fine, just like on Win7.

Great update! How many drone units will be in final version?

Alright, I have windows 8, and I have been having the hardest of times trying to install Command and Conquer onto it without having the computer AI not respond, and trying to install mods doesn't help. So if you have a step-by-step tutiroal to how to install the game + this mod, that be very helpful.
Massey
Nice update i like the Hunter drone. The other im sort border line with that one.
QUOTE (MARS @ 26 Apr 2013, 2:52) *
"Here's a hint: It walks!"

Oh plz PLZ! dont make Generals into RA! PLZ DONT!

Edit: Better yet move the hard work you put into a walker and put it into a Shockwave patch.
Megazord
So if you have a step-by-step tutiroal to how to install the game + this mod, that be very helpful.

Sorry, I'd like to help but I don't know how. I just installed the game from a CD and it works just like it did on my previous systems.

Where do you have problems? Are there any errors during installation or something?
SpiralSpectre
Really cool update. Hunter Killer looks specially awesome. Nice parody of that damn show... what was it's name again?
Serialkillerwhale
Futureweapons.

On the subject of the walker, I'm looking forwards too it.

The US still needs some high-tech stuff.
X1Destroy
Why do US need more high tech stuff? I might as well want the aurora alpha and EMP patriot return then av-7.gif

I think it is cooler to see modernized relics from coldwar era become a theme for the USA rather than generic futuristic faction with robots.
MARS
^ The Cold War theme is more of an ECA thing though. Their entire military is very heavy on ground vehicles and territorial defence whereas the American units reflect their trademark mobility and 'high speed, low drag' philosophy. The stuff that is realistically old in the mod's setting like the Chaparral, M1, Bradley and M113 variants is still noticeably upgraded. Also, for those of you who are already worrying about robot overkill, the US will -NOT- have anything that is even remotely reminiscent of a mech, that is to say no Metal Gears and no Transformers.
Serialkillerwhale
What about Titan walkers? AT-ATs?
X1Destroy
Ah, that's fine then.

How about a modernized M50 Ontos then? Surely powerful and fast enough.
Destiny
I love the Hunter Killer's model. Absolutely lovely.

I like how Future Warfare - Robot Wars DOESN'T use a picture of robots in it.
MARS
QUOTE (X1Destroy @ 26 Apr 2013, 9:12) *
How about a modernized M50 Ontos then? Surely powerful and fast enough.

Not so much. Unlike the M113 which is still held in reserve, the Ontos is literally a museum piece at this point. It may be a light support vehicle and thus appropriate due to its role, but design wise, it wouldn't really fit the US faction in-game with all those guns mounted on it. It also uses recoilless rifles whereas the US are designed as a very missile-heavy faction. From a purely visual standpoint, it'd almost seem fitting for the GLA actually.
X1Destroy
Well it is treated as a tank so it's fine for it to have guns. Otherwise it will be yet another generic missile armed AT vehicle that we'd already seen alots in the game.

Might fit to be a quick respond tank destroyer as well as anti infantry support.

While It's true that the Ontos is no longer available in any base, we can just come up with something else in the lore.

GLA already have the rocket buggy, so I don't think they would really need it.

A stealth AT gun like the one in SW would suit them more.
CoLT
QUOTE (MARS @ 26 Apr 2013, 2:10) *
Well, this update was intended as a very obvious, on-the-nose parody of Future Weapons so that's that.

I noticed that straight off the bat and was reading the text in his voice haha.

DELETED MEMBER
Why when people read walking robot they go full into a "gundam robogozilla battletech star wars" idea of robots? there are quad-walkers in research by the US military, hell, we dont even know if its going to be armed
CoLT
^I dunno.... Or maybe I'm too nice to say why.

But I honestly jumped to some sort of mechanical german shepherd like the attack dogs in RA.
__CrUsHeR
Actually the U.S. army already uses humanoid robots as "Petman", it is able to bend down, walking, running and balance yourself, this robot is being used to test the resistance of the uniforms and suits of the military after a series continuous motion. I have no doubt that soon the USA'll be using humanoid robots on the battlefield, as absurd as this idea may seem.

Watch at 1:35 forward.
"Petman"
MARS
QUOTE (__CrUsHeR @ 26 Apr 2013, 13:29) *
Actually the U.S. army already uses humanoid robots as "Peterman", it is able to bend down, walking, running and balance yourself, this robot is being used to test the resistance of the uniforms and suits of the military after a series continuous motion. I have no doubt that soon the USA'll be using humanoid robots on the battlefield, as absurd as this idea may seem.

I don't think they would ever replace something as basic as the common infantryman with a robot. Automatisation is all fine and dandy, but at some point, you have to ask yourself whether you want to pay millions of dollars a piece for a humanoid robo-soldier or just train a whole bunch of high school graduates for the same money. In fact, considering that the current US military operations revolve largely around counter insurgency and nation building, replacing your grunts with faceless machines is a surefire way of alienating the local populace that you're supposedly helping to develop.
__CrUsHeR
Probably not going to replace all the infantry, after all it would not be feasible, the army will be able to have some robots for special missions of high risk, and cost of today will be lower in the future after the technology is widespread.
SpiralSpectre
QUOTE (MARS @ 26 Apr 2013, 17:36) *
I don't think they would ever replace something as basic as the common infantryman with a robot. Automatisation is all fine and dandy, but at some point, you have to ask yourself whether you want to pay millions of dollars a piece for a humanoid robo-soldier or just train a whole bunch of high school graduates for the same money. In fact, considering that the current US military operations revolve largely around counter insurgency and nation building, replacing your grunts with faceless machines is a surefire way of alienating the local populace that you're supposedly helping to develop.

They would probably never send in the faceless machines to do grunt work, specially when doing something a bit diplomatic like coming in contact with local populace. But what about as some kinda "special-special forces"? Those machines could be used for high risk missions to significantly reduce loss of lives. Robos would also have some not so beneficial psychological effects on poorly armed and barely educated insurgents. Another interesting point is, a huge part of US's home protests against policing the world (something at least some certain people like to view as a big problem) would probably get reduced if they manage to reduce their own casualties in the war.

Again the main problem for this whole idea is the cost. Deploying costly robos and sending them for suicide missions would take it's toll on the budget and once that happens people back home wouldn't appreciate it anymore.

BTW is it me or most of this thread is dedicated to talking/speculating about the last teaser line while ignoring the rest of the update? aw.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.