Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Murphy's Law and Finagle's Law.
SWR Productions Forum > Community > General Chat
Shock
I am uncertain about which is which, actually.

Wikipedia doesn't always get it right and I don't really get clearance from other sources.

Wikipedia states here on Murphy's Law: "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong". This appears to be the general definition, and widely accepted. Hell, I even have a doorposter of it stating the very same thing.

But now, there is Finagle's Law which states the same thing, with the added feature of the worst possible moment. One says that this addition defines the distinction of Finagle's Law, being just a corollary on Murphy's Law.

Seems logical to me, but certain sources (The dutch wikipedia for example) tell that the ''Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong" definition originated from someone else and has it's own distinct life as Finagle's Law. It would have only been inspired by what Murphy said. The actual Murphy's Law would be: "If there are multple ways to perform a certain task and one of those ways will result in disaster, then someone will do it that way''. Now the latter actually does seem like a law, as it actually is mathematically viable and just a case of probability. Also, Murphy was an Aerospace engineer, not likely to make up something like Finagle's Law which actually isn't that true.

So in that case, our Murphy's Law would actually be Finagle's law popularized as Murphy's Law while Edward Murphy didn't actually say that at all.

Anyone can clear this up?

I'm a bit bored btw
Shiro
I see no boredom is this post actually. Yes, Murphy's Law is (afaik) about 'Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.' The best example is the toast in the morning falling from the desk at it will with 99.998% certain fall on the side with the butter. But honestly, I have never heard of Finagle's Law.
Shock
As I said, the common interpretation of Murphy's Law may have been popularized as such, while actually it may not represent his words. Before I started on my quest on this subject, I never heard of Finagle's Law either tho.
Overdose
I had read about Finagle's law before. Its actually very common to have a theory built upon another.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.