Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I know nothing
SWR Productions Forum > Game Modding and Development > Generals/Zerohour Modding
Jingogunner
I'm 62 and got my first ever pc in 2002. I never grew up with computers like everyone on this site obviously have and everything here is totally baffling to me. There is nothing here that I can understand at all. So I know nothing, I have no idea what a mod is. a patch is something they offer you to fix glitches, but no idea how it works, I just downloaded 'em according to C&C instructions when they were offered and they fixed stuff. I have Generals Zero Hour and generals, bought years ago, and would like to downoad stuff and update it. However, everything I have read on this site is completely meaningless to me. I need a click by click outline of exactly what to do to start modifying the game - it would be fantastic to have some different generals and units, and some new maps. I was never able to get worldbuilder to work and I could never manage to download maps from the old C&C website either. there was always things I should or shouldn't have done which were inadequately explained to me by people writing on the site who insisted on using terms I had no clue as to the meaning of, they used acronymns and abbreviations which have successfully kept me out of their club. I kind of resent being ignorant, but I also resent the very unfriendly format of information on every site I've ever been on.

So, can some kind person please help me to start downloading stuff that will enhance my game, please?
Knossos
Worldbuilder is shit, then, now and forever. I don't recommend using it. Ever. If you value your computer and your sanity, never open that.

To download maps, you have to find your "Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour Data" folder (they're supposed to be in the "My Documents") and then download the map pack, put the .map file (the file with the ending of .map) and the .tga file (the one ending in .tga) in MapPreviews folder inside the "Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour Data" folder.

Mods are short for modifications. They modify the game into something. Most mods have autoinstall functions on them. Just decompress the zip file (if it came in zip, which is by far the most common type) in the folder you desire. In the ROTR mod that we have here, the autoinstall file is ROTRBeta_18.exe, although its a direct download in ModDB; no need for decompressing since the program does it for you.
Jingogunner
QUOTE (Knossos @ 21 Jun 2013, 10:37) *
Worldbuilder is shit, then, now and forever. I don't recommend using it. Ever. If you value your computer and your sanity, never open that.

To download maps, you have to find your "Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour Data" folder (they're supposed to be in the "My Documents") and then download the map pack, put the .map file (the file with the ending of .map) and the .tga file (the one ending in .tga) in MapPreviews folder inside the "Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour Data" folder.

Mods are short for modifications. They modify the game into something. Most mods have autoinstall functions on them. Just decompress the zip file (if it came in zip, which is by far the most common type) in the folder you desire. In the ROTR mod that we have here, the autoinstall file is ROTRBeta_18.exe, although its a direct download in ModDB; no need for decompressing since the program does it for you.

Thanks for your encouraging reply. is wb about as shit as Gatesbitch, the bitch that runs a worldwide monopoly of his pathetic software and windows rubbish, user hostile and overpriced, that we are all forced to use by our ninny criminal governments whose pockets he has presumably helped line?

I got ROTR V1.802 downloaded to my desktop. But, now I have no clue what to do. Does it go with the game data stuff like the maps will, or some other place? Does it have an autoinstall? Is it part of ModDB? I just can;t figure this out. Please help, click by click if necessary.
Zeke
Step 1: First, you need to make sure your copy of Zero Hour is patched to version 1.04.

To check: 1. Start the game 2. Go to the options menu 3. Check the bottom of the window that pops up

If your game is patched skip to step 3

If your game is not, read on

Step 2: Download Zero Hour Patch 1.04 from here

After it's done downloading, double click the file to begin patching. Follow the installer's instructions till the end.

Once that's done...

Step 3: Downloading ROTR. Since you've already downloaded V1.802, download ROTR ECA Beta V1.8, you will need to install this first.

After your done downloading, open ROTRBeta_18.zip and open the installer inside it

Follow the installers instructions, pay special attention to the install directory, make sure it's correct.

Once that's done install Patch V1.802

Patch V1.802 is installed the same way: Open the .zip file, open the installer, follow instructions, then done.

After all that's done time for...

Step 4: Play. If everything installed correctly, you should see a new blue icon on your desktop, that's the ROTR shortcut. To play, double click it, and the launcher will show up:

Press Launch to start the game.

Have fun!
Jingogunner
wow, thanks for that. will let you know if it works. whew.
Jingogunner
OK, it hasn't worked. No blue icon on DT. Looked in programfiles/eagames and the jolly old files seem to be in there:-
!!BetaRotr_Patch.Gib and !Beta_RotrAI.Gib and another one ending INI.Gib

Any idea what I should look for or do, please?

Zeke
Are there icons in your start menu?
Jingogunner
QUOTE (Zeke @ 22 Jun 2013, 4:14) *
Are there icons in your start menu?

There is an icon for C&C GZH but nothing for ROTR
Knossos
QUOTE (Jingogunner @ 22 Jun 2013, 15:15) *

Did you install the game on the desktop? Don't install it on the desktop (seriously, it wouldn't work). Install it on the folder where your ZH game resides. For a better measure, unzip the zip file on the zh folder as well.

Hope that helps.
Zeke
QUOTE (Jingogunner @ 22 Jun 2013, 15:15) *

Did you check the EA Games folder in your start menu? There should be one exclusively to Rise of the Reds, "Rise Of The Reds Beta 1.8"

Also what version (xp, vista, 7) of windows do you have and what type (32bit, 64bit)?
Jingogunner
QUOTE (Zeke @ 22 Jun 2013, 12:43) *
Did you check the EA Games folder in your start menu? There should be one exclusively to Rise of the Reds, "Rise Of The Reds Beta 1.8"

Also what version (xp, vista, 7) of windows do you have and what type (32bit, 64bit)?

1) Not there, because I downloaded to desktop. Will delete all and start again, downloading straight into GZH folder this time.

2) have XP, I think 32 bit. is 32 bit enough or shall I then just forget the whiole idea?
Zeke
QUOTE (Jingogunner @ 22 Jun 2013, 20:13) *
1) Not there, because I downloaded to desktop. Will delete all and start again, downloading straight into GZH folder this time.

There's no difference where you download the file, it only matters where you install it.

QUOTE (Jingogunner @ 22 Jun 2013, 20:13) *
2) have XP, I think 32 bit. is 32 bit enough or shall I then just forget the whiole idea?

No that's fine. Problems usually occur with anything higher than that.

You can check the bit type by right clicking on your my computer icon and selecting properties.

Perhaps the installer, just failed to create the shortcut. Find ROTR.exe in your Zero Hour Folder, open that and see if the mod starts.
Jingogunner
QUOTE (Zeke @ 22 Jun 2013, 14:07) *
There's no difference where you download the file, it only matters where you install it.

No that's fine. Problems usually occur with anything higher than that.

You can check the bit type by right clicking on your my computer icon and selecting properties.

Perhaps the installer, just failed to create the shortcut. Find ROTR.exe in your Zero Hour Folder, open that and see if the mod starts.

No, you were rightm, Zeke - I just dragged the folders into GZH folder and extracted the files and POP! ther blue icon appeared on my desktop and the Russian forces have just suffered a severe spanking. Oh yes. Severe.
Thanks for your help.

I note there are other downloads in the ROTR list, are they additional generals?
And, is there a place where I can download new maps from, please?
Zeke
1. Those are mostly older versions of the mod.
2. There's this mappack for ROTR: http://www.moddb.com/mods/rise-of-the-reds...rotr-map-pack-i
Jingogunner
QUOTE (Knossos @ 21 Jun 2013, 10:37) *

OK, I down loaded Tehran Outskirts from C&C Labs, I extracted the .tga and the .map from the downloaded folder and dragged them into Map Previews. I note there are ONLY tga files in Map Previews. Are you sure the .map file should go there? because it does not show up as a selectable map in the skirmishes in the game. Shouldn't the .map file go in the empty folder called 'Maps'? Whew, I hate computers.
Zeke
QUOTE (Jingogunner @ 24 Jun 2013, 17:06) *
OK, I down loaded Tehran Outskirts from C&C Labs, I extracted the .tga and the .map from the downloaded folder and dragged them into Map Previews. I note there are ONLY tga files in Map Previews. Are you sure the .map file should go there? because it does not show up as a selectable map in the skirmishes in the game. Shouldn't the .map file go in the empty folder called 'Maps'? Whew, I hate computers.

To install maps you just need to place the map's folder inside the "Maps" folder in "Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour Data" folder. The files in "MapPreviews" are auto generated after you've played the map at least once ingame.

You should be able to see the map under "Unofficial Maps" in the map selection screen.
Jingogunner
QUOTE (Zeke @ 24 Jun 2013, 11:11) *
To install maps you just need to place the map's folder inside the "Maps" folder in "Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour Data" folder. The files in "MapPreviews" are auto generated after you've played the map at least once ingame.

You should be able to see the map under "Unofficial Maps" in the map selection screen.

there does not appear to be an unofficial maps list in GZH although I recall there is one in generals. I just tried putting the folder titled' 'tehran outskirts and containing readme, .map and .tga files into the MAPS folder in data file in GZH.

then I looked in the only map selection facility I can find, which is 'select map' in the skirmish menu. nothing there.
Zeke
Unofficial Maps tab is inside the Select Map screen:

Jingogunner

What I dioscovered is that you simply have to place the UNZIPPED folder into Maps in GZH folder and then when you go iinto select map in the game, it will appear in unofficial maps. I need a drink, now. a drink.
Jingogunner

ok, the unofficial maps work perfectly. however, I still need a drink because now, the game does not save. when I try to save the unofficial map after play, it appears to have saved and shows up in unofficial maps, but when I try to load it later I get: Error loading game 'C:\Documents and settingd\Jack Rainbow\My Documentsd\Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour\Data\Savw\00000005.sav' So a drink just won't cut it, it will have to be something strong straight into the vein.
Any ideas what I can try, Please?
Zeke
Well I rarely use custom maps, except for my test maps, or save games so can't help you there.
Jingogunner
QUOTE (Zeke @ 25 Jun 2013, 3:03) *
Well I rarely use custom maps, except for my test maps, or save games so can't help you there.

Do you mean fixing a broken sav feature is beyond your knowledge? OK, thanks for your help so far.
Zeke
QUOTE (Jingogunner @ 25 Jun 2013, 15:40) *
Do you mean fixing a broken sav feature is beyond your knowledge?

Pretty much. The only times my save game breaks is if I try to load a save file from an older version of a mod, which I doubt is the case here.
Frostyarmy
A broken save file is caused by playing on a Singleplayer Settings , In Skirmish the game does not try real well to record the replay , Doing the same thing Except creating a game in the lobby , which actually results in an accurate replay save if considered Host + Users downloading have the same version of the game , Basically if you want your replay to accurate -> Host it in a Network lobby , the game code for the replay is much better there.
Knossos
QUOTE (Jingogunner @ 25 Jun 2013, 15:40) *
Do you mean fixing a broken sav feature is beyond your knowledge? OK, thanks for your help so far.

The save feature works in mine quite splendidly. Let me ask a few questions first before I try to diagnose;

1. Is your GZH Folder in your C:?
2. How many saved games do you have?
3. Did you check if the save file is corrupt? (Usually happens if you answered yes on question #1, especially if your C is near the brim)
Jingogunner
QUOTE (Zhao @ 27 Jun 2013, 4:05) *
A broken save file is caused by playing on a Singleplayer Settings , In Skirmish the game does not try real well to record the replay , Doing the same thing Except creating a game in the lobby , which actually results in an accurate replay save if considered Host + Users downloading have the same version of the game , Basically if you want your replay to accurate -> Host it in a Network lobby , the game code for the replay is much better there.

Fuck off.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.