Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Worldbuilder
SWR Productions Forum > Game Modding and Development > Generals/Zerohour Modding
Shock
I would like to ask you if anyone has tips or ways on making symmetric maps? If you do everything the normal way I have to sculpt and set everything for both sides so I never can get it really as similar as I want it to be. I want the macroscopic area's to be the same with only minor details different, like in your average symmetric map Tournament Desert. Any tips?
Shiro
If I am not mistaken the WB offers a copy/paste function, but honestly I have no idea where it is.
Stalker
As far as I know only the C&C3 and RA3 Worldbuilder support Copy and Paste
Shock
From what I've read one can only copy and paste stuff between different maps, not in one map, but hell I don't actually know for sure.
Pickysaurus
That seems a pretty flawed idea to me... but EA have done worse.
Shock
Well the wireframe view of Worldbuilder pretty much fails as well as it's not fixed on the map, rather on your view (and it changes in size with zoom level :S)
Erik
Zero hour has a top down view which should be enough to get it as symetrical as needed.
Shock
I know of the top down view, but it doesn't seem to cut it for my perfectionism :/
Nip
When copy and paste in one map the pasted object is located on top of the copied object. For symmetric maps you can try 'snap to grid' to place objects or add the excact x- and y-values in the object properties. 'Snap to grid' can be used in conjunction with the terrain brush, it may help to create symmetric landscapes. Another way to create symmetric maps is using an 8-bit grayscale elevation image and CkMp-tool. You simply draw your landscape using any paint software, this way it is easy to mirror areas and create total symmetry of a landscape:
http://k0r3dump.net/ckmp/
Shock
That last tool is pretty damn interesting. So essentially you define heights by grayscale and can create your terrain by means of that?
Nip
Yes, it works pretty simple. You can photoshop you map landscape to total symmetry pixel by pixel and you can create landscapes you would be unable to do with only WB. On a side note, the 'No compression' setting in WB > Edit > Edit Map Settings > Compression always switches back to 'RefPack' after you saved an uncompressed map, the 'No compression' setting isn't saved when exit a map or WB. And ignore any 'Failed to compress!' messages.

Mainboard layout, all your southbridge belong to us!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.