Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rise of the Reds Update: Russian Hardware Redux, Part III
SWR Productions Forum > SWR Projects > Rise of the Reds > Frontline News
MARS
In today's update, we'd like to show you the new versions of the Kashtan CIWS and the Tremor AGAS, complete with sharper textures and more detail.

Originally developed to protect the vessels of the Russian Navy from missile and aircraft attacks, the Kashtan close-in weapon system has been refitted for use as a stationary emplacement in support of Russian ground operations and perimeter defences. Its primary anti-aircraft weapon is a set of eight missiles, supported by a dual 30mm rotary cannon that rips through infantry, light vehicles and aircraft hulls at an astonishing rate of 10.000 rounds per minute - An economical combination that grants the 'Chestnut' an amazing defensive potential.

Tremor with cannon deployed

In the year 2040, a recon patrol of the North Sudanese Army discovered a hidden Russian outpost in the vast badlands around Kurmuk, near the disputed border of South Sudan. This incident immediately sparked the attention of the Chinese, who had a strong military and economic presence in North Sudan. A spy plane of the PLA Air Force was ordered to take high-resolution photos of the compound. Most alarmingly, one of the structures was identified as a ballistic missile silo. When the Chinese government broke the news of this disturbing discovery to the media, President Suvorov maintained that the area in question would actually belong to the Russian protectorate of South Sudan and that the facility was merely there to support the rightful territorial claim of the local government. The so-called Sudanese Missile Crisis quickly escalated out of control, prompting the US government to support China in an attempt to appease the hawkish opposition which called for a harder line against the resurgent Russian Federation. This led to the creation of the Pacific Peace Alliance, a joint Sino-American effort to subvert Russia's growing influence in Africa. At first, Beijing and Washington made demands for an entire catalogue of economic sanctions against Russia and its allies which was predictably vetoed by the Federation itself. When it turned out that a political solution to the crisis would not be possible any time soon, the two uneasy partners decided to pursue a more drastic approach: As part of the infamous Operation Double Tap, a combined force of Chinese and American forces would sweep in and secure the facility by force.

However, the assault ended in a complete disaster when it turned out that the alleged missile silo actually housed an enormous, four-barrelled artillery cannon which blunted one Chinese assault wave after the other, leaving the smaller American strike teams to be surrounded and overwhelmed by the dug-in Russian defenders. After the shameful defeat at Kurmuk, the short-lived PPA broke up in a series of messy disputes and the Russian commander who coordinated the defence of the base, one General Nikita Ivanovich Aleksandr, returned to Moscow as a military hero alongside his First Shock Division. The battle had served as a field test for his latest weapon, the Tremor Advanced Grand Artillery System, an awe-inspiring contraption of four 300mm howitzers arranged in a rotating mechanism. The effective range of this new weapon was believed to rival that of even the most advanced short range ballistic missiles and the loading mechanism could feed shells into the system at such a rapid rate that an entire city block could be levelled within seconds. During the first years of the Russo-European War, the Tremor cannons saw extensive use as a politically sensitive alternative to tactical nuclear weapons, even though the system would have been perfectly capable of delivering weapons of mass destruction as well.

Svea Rike
I Tremor in fear of the Russian superweapon!
markp
QUOTE (MARS @ 22 Jul 2013, 11:20) *
even though the system would have been perfectly capable of delivering weapons of mass destruction as well

Does this hint at a possible upgrade option (or custom SW for a specific general) for the AGAS to fire nuke shells? ;-)
__CrUsHeR
In Russia the artilleries are like this! mindfuck.gif Good remake of the structures.
Shiro
Doubt it, considering that the only nuclear weapons the Russians will ever deploy in ROTR are the missile launched from nuclear missile silos and TOPOL-Ms.
Mr.Kim
QUOTE (markp @ 22 Jul 2013, 12:42) *
Does this hint at a possible upgrade option (or custom SW for a specific general) for the AGAS to fire nuke shells? ;-)

I believe it's RotR's lore. Anyway:

with Science.
X1Destroy
Update, wow.

But I would like to say that by giving the red color to the Kashtan's missile pods, you have made it look more cartoonish compared to the old one.

Would there be a stats change for the Kastan? Seeing as it is kinda lame right now.

Pardon me...but I don't see much different between the old and new Tremor AGAS.
JamBai
The updated Kashtan sure is a thing of beauty! A question tho! the the next Russian Hardware Redux update is going to be the last of one right? since you usually show only 2 renders i was wondering are you going to show the rest of the updated Russian arsenal as an extra in more upcoming updates or are we going to have to wait to see them in 1.82? :3
Comr4de
QUOTE (X1Destroy @ 22 Jul 2013, 12:44) *
Update, wow.

But I would like to say that by giving the red color to the Kashtan's missile pods, you have made it look more cartoonish compared to the old one.

Would there be a stats change for the Kastan? Seeing as it is kinda lame right now.

Pardon me...but I don't see much different between the old and new Tremor AGAS.

Slight updates to the model, but textures were up'd and changed differently. Had an old texture template we used to work in so now it's consistent I8.gif

Just wait for the next update. That's when the fun begins.
Mr.Kim
QUOTE (JamBai @ 22 Jul 2013, 13:45) *
The updated Kashtan sure is a thing of beauty! A question tho! the the next Russian Hardware Redux update is going to be the last of one right? since you usually show only 2 renders i was wondering are you going to show the rest of the updated Russian arsenal as an extra in more upcoming updates or are we going to have to wait to see them in 1.82? :3

Not olny Russian, USA and China as well. Well... not much. I8.gif
MARS
QUOTE (X1Destroy @ 22 Jul 2013, 19:44) *

We did that to add contrast to what would otherwise just be a huge chunk of black, jagged metal.
JamBai
Sorry for asking another question but is there any Russian Structure/Vehicle that Won't get a re-texture/overhaul? or are you just going to fresh up all of them
Nemanja
Wait,next update will be last of RHR series . . .
And in each one we get two or three new renders . . .
Meaning that some buildings will remain at Nintendo 64 level of details and textures . . .
I really hope Command Bunker,Helipad and WF will get update . . .
Mr.Kim
QUOTE (JamBai @ 22 Jul 2013, 14:37) *
Sorry for asking another question but is there any Russian Structure/Vehicle that Won't get a re-texture/overhaul? or are you just going to fresh up all of them

I believe Tesla tank and Golem tank are changed as well. But, I don't know what's looks like.

About Russian structures, some structures are add(not many), replacement or re-modeled(and re-skined).
X1Destroy
QUOTE (MARS @ 22 Jul 2013, 20:28) *
We did that to add contrast to what would otherwise just be a huge chunk of black, jagged metal.

But it looks meaner that way aw.gif

Eitherway, I'm hoping next part will be the Tunguska.
MARS
QUOTE (Re_Simeone @ 22 Jul 2013, 20:42) *
Meaning that some buildings will remain at Nintendo 64 level of details and textures . . .

It's only the end of this four part series, which is also marked by the fact that it doesn't have a proper story portion. Who's to say that the other remodels won't be part of another later update?^^
Svea Rike
I was just wondering if the technical issues with Future Warfare has been dealt with? This is the second longest commercial break I've ever been on.
Overdose
Looking good!
Comr4de
QUOTE (Re_Simeone @ 22 Jul 2013, 13:42) *

All of those are getting an overhaul/update and a lot of others as well.

We've basically just about remade the faction, with new abilities and mechanics included.

Do note: every other faction will be receiving some new units/abilities as well it's not JUST Russian updates.
MARS
QUOTE (swedishplayer-97 @ 22 Jul 2013, 20:53) *
I was just wondering if the technical issues with Future Warfare has been dealt with? This is the second longest commercial break I've ever been on.

It's actually not a technical issue but the fact that we wanted to work on something other than USA units which we had to design entirely from scratch.
You can't really force yourself to work on something if your inspiration would prefer you to work on something else and in this case The Hunter/Comrade felt like taking a break and doing Russian stuff instead.
Comr4de
QUOTE (MARS @ 22 Jul 2013, 14:11) *
It's actually not a technical issue but the fact that we wanted to work on something other than USA units which we had to design entirely from scratch.
You can't really force yourself to work on something if your inspiration would prefer you to work on something else and in this case The Hunter/Comrade felt like taking a break and doing Russian stuff instead.

Yes I like getting yelled at too aw.gif
JamBai
By the way this is a bit off-topic but are you still planning on re-do the effect of Anthrax or has that been scrapped ?:3
Nemanja
QUOTE (MARS @ 22 Jul 2013, 20:44) *
It's only the end of this four part series, which is also marked by the fact that it doesn't have a proper story portion. Who's to say that the other remodels won't be part of another later update?^^

Well I got that impression from the RHR pt. I . . .
I remembered while ago some devs stated,although that were shy statements that
some buildings would be updated,I didn't got that some means all,but I don't mind it at all biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Comr4de @ 22 Jul 2013, 21:10) *
All of those are getting an overhaul/update and a lot of others as well.

We've basically just about remade the faction, with new abilities and mechanics included.

Do note: every other faction will be receiving some new units/abilities as well it's not JUST Russian updates.

"...with new abilities and mechanics included..." This sounds exciting . . .
flyingpancake
QUOTE (swedishplayer-97 @ 22 Jul 2013, 20:53) *

Whats the longest?
Dangerman
QUOTE (Comr4de @ 22 Jul 2013, 20:10) *

Similar in a way that the GLA in RotR are different to Vanilla GLA?
Lobo Solitario
Time to get a new computer to be able to appreciate the eye-candy!

By the way, did anyone else have any trouble with textures in the previous version? I had an issue where textures were displaying the lowest possible resolution until I zoomed in practically on top of the building/unit. I wasn't able to find an option to force higher-res textures anywhere.
X1Destroy
other than USA units which we had to design entirely from scratch.

Wait. Gameplay changes or cosmestic changes?

Eitherway, please don't do anything to the Paladin and Chapparal as they're perfect to me aw.gif
Svea Rike
QUOTE (flyingpancake @ 22 Jul 2013, 22:06) *
Whats the longest?

A 2-year long commercial about pumpkins growing in Iran.

(No, it was just a joke).
Claine
very sweet update, reds is rising once more biggrin.gif
Joe Kidd
QUOTE (Comr4de @ 22 Jul 2013, 18:56) *
Just wait for the next update. That's when the fun begins.

You like to say that dont you?

Beautiful updates tho, im so glad that my favorite faction is getting such a detailed and awesome overhaul.

How big are these 'mechanics and abilities' going to be?
SpiralSpectre
This just keeps looking better and better. smile.gif
Knjaz.
QUOTE (MARS @ 22 Jul 2013, 19:20) *
<...> During the first years of the Russo-European War, the Tremor cannons saw extensive use as a politically sensitive alternative to tactical nuclear weapons, even though the system would have been perfectly capable of delivering weapons of mass destruction as well.

Hmm, a rain of ~20 KT nuclear shells, dispersed all over the frontline ?

Approved. 8Isov.gif
wb21
That Kashtan look sweet. 8llaniflip.gif
Does the Tremor's old lore of "low ranking Russian officers" using the weapon for fire support still applies?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.